Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Ghost of the Ruins Plotting Thread

Started by Ethereal-Star, December 25, 2014, 02:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

Okay, here's the idea. I would like this to be a sort of mystery thread, pertaining to the title in the subject line. My character Admar is looking to explore some ruins of a long-lost civilization that once dwelt in the Wester Highlands. He comes upon the remnants of an old, broken tower that used to be part of this ancient civilization that existed there once, along with other bits and pieces of the once vast empire, things like fallen pillars, broken chipped statues, stone blocks, etc.

He finds two things while exploring there, the remains of an old tome, most of its writings now faded and illegible due to the elements and the passage of time, and the second thing he discovers is the spirit of someone who is trapped there in death, unable to leave and move on to the afterlife. So they are forced to haunt these ruins, hoping some day someone will come along, discover them and try to solve the mystery of why they cannot leave, what is keeping the spirit there. The spirit/ghost will be an NPC that fades in and out of existence and therefore doesn't speak much, only revealing cryptic answers as to its plight.

The mystery could revolve around who was this ghost in life, are they the ancestor to someone alive today and who, why they are haunting these ruins and how the spirit can be freed from its eternal torment. Perhaps the bones of the person need to be found and buried, or some cursed object is trapping its soul there, rendering it unable to leave, some beast perhaps guarding said object in which both beast and object need to be destroyed in order to free the ghost. Or perhaps he/she is seeking justice for something that happened there. Maybe the old writings Admar found could point out a clue?

Looking for these sorts of characters:

-Explorers/Dungeon-Delvers
-Travelers
-Warriors (in case there's combat involved)
-Scholars
-Priests (to help free/banish the spirit perhaps, just an idea)

Any other ideas for characters will also be considered as I'm sure we can find some way to work them into the story. Sound interesting and is something you could work with? Post here or PM me with your comments/questions/suggestions. I am hoping for at least a couple people or so to join in. Thanks for reading.

Vyraena

I could offer my character Magthorrosh for this plot. Since his clan resides in the Wester Highlands, it would stand to reason that he could be convince to look into this mystery. Also, he would be an extremely capable fighter if something were to go wrong, or a fight were to break out.

The other option I could offer is Vyraena. Exploring ancient ruins is something she would definitely be interested, and has done already in the past. However, being as she's already in multiple threads and Magthorrosh has none, I would prefer to use him, but will bring in whichever one you think works better.

Let me know if either of these appeal to you. The plot sounds like it will be interesting, and I think it would be fun to be involved.

Ethereal-Star

Either one would be fine. I'll leave whatever character you choose to bring in up to you. Thanks for the interest!

Anyone else?

Looshi

I'm really interested in this. But I only have two characters that would be interested in it. Eirdis Stoneoak my dwarven woman; she's an adventurer with a magical beard, and basically saviour of her particular dwarven people, but she ran away from that responsibility. She'd mostly be in what loot she can get.

Then I have Yera, non-binary gender, non-gender conforming bard, whom can throw eirs voice incredibly, has swordplay skills, and budding dangerous magic. Typically ey wants grand stories to sing about, and this would fit the bill pretty well, so I'm leaning towards using Yera.

However, if any of my characters are not your cup of tea(I don't expect everyone to like them, it's okay), you can say so. It is your thread after all. But I would like to say that, besides the fact that my character concepts are odd and can be silly(Magical beard), I can and do write seriously, and my characters are completely able to be involved with serious plots.

Ethereal-Star

Yera could provide some interesting roleplay so feel free to bring her/eir in. The fire in the belly thing is definitely unique and interesting and could also play a factor in how Yera is viewed by others. Admar would most definitely find that trait intriguing and would probably ask her all sorts of questions about it--something Yera may not like I guess. The dwarf woman could also be good for the plot so pick whichever one you think needs more stories. The not having an actual voice to call her own I think is kinda odd but in a good way, that is. Admar might wish to know the story behind that too. Referring to Yera again here.

I am sure you can RP seriously, I had no doubts about that, so no worries. Humor can also be an important element in RP too, like anything else I'd imagine. The only really humorous characters I have in terms of personality and/or history are Hazel and Chestnut. Those are the ones that come to mind first and foremost. But yeah, back to the actual plot at hand here...

I hope you decide to join in, the more the merrier!

Looshi

Ah, all right! Definitely want to join, I do love these sorts of plots. And I'll use Yera since you seem to be more interested in em(Don't worry about the pronouns either, Yera is fine with any IC too). And I'm super curious how characters react to Yera, in all eir oddness. (:

Rhindeer

Oooh, I could offer my character, Quinn! Their link is in my signature, but the gist of it is that they are a demon/vqmpire hunter, and deal a lot with the supernatural. 8D Supernatural things, especially ones where they feel there might be demonic activity, are right up their alley!
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Vyraena

I think I'll bring in Magthorrosh then, Ethereal. Is there any particular role you would want him to play in the overall plot?

Ethereal-Star

@Looshi
I think both characters are interesting, but you bring in whichever one you want to the most. Plus I do like bards anyway, they can be fun (if not challenging) to play. I have at least one bard character in a D&D group I'm in and it can be a challenge. It isn't free-form obviously, but yeah... Bards are a cool character class regardless of what setting one plays them in. They could also be seen as a jack-of-all-trades, depending on what their specialty is, if they have one. Not all do, therefore the title most of them have.

@Rhi-Rhi
Yes, bring in Quinn! I'm sure with your character involved we can find a way for them to play an important role in regards to their specialty of hunting demons. It would also be interesting to see how Quinn and Yera get along with one another. Being as they both are gender-neutral and such.

@Vyraena
Good question. The only thing that comes to mind really at this point is that since Magthorrosh is a shaman, wouldn't he have the ability to speak with the dead and gain visions of the beyond/past/present/future? It's okay if he doesn't, I am sure we can work something else out. If he can speak to the ghost, that may provide a very helpful edge in deciphering the mystery behind the ruins and the writings that Admar will come across.

Glad you all are interested! Let's see if we can get one more person, if not I'll work on getting a thread up soon. I'll post the link here so you all know where to find it.

Vyraena

Yes, he would have the ability to talk to at least some spirits. As for the visions, he doesn't really have any ability to look into the past or future, but he does get signs from the elements that can give him hints about the future. Depending on what the nature of the spirit is, though, he may be able to speak with it, or at least understand it a little bit.

Ethereal-Star

Well, that's pretty useful then. Also Admar does have some kind of "divinatory" abilities as well, so even if Magthorrosh can't, Admar can though. However, the nature of this particular magic is a higher form of energy so it would require more mana for him to utilize it. But not too strenuous for him. The idea of your character gaining insights from the elements is neat though, I'd like to see how that plays out.

visualspice

I have a few characters to potentially throw into the mix. Iyla is a character out seeking magical rocks in hopes to free herself from her curse. It's possible she is there because she senses one nearby. Or I have my explorer and thief, Aurora Jane, who could easily have many reasons to be in such a location. Both would only align themselves temporarily if.it would be a benefit to them, as both women work alone. I have a few other ideas but I'll post those up once I get on a computer.so I can post links.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ethereal-Star

Both those characters are awesome v-spice! But I especially am intrigued with Iyla, the cursed shadow spirit. That could make for some very interesting plots. Especially if a shadow stone IS in the ruins and is the reason the spirit is trapped...could prove very problematic. But don't know, I am gonna go with the flow at this point.

Hundelar

Hey, im new arround and looking for some roleplay opportunities, i would like to participate with my character Erynor and his fairy companion, theyve been always together, and love exploration, this would be an adventure that would definitely interest them. I was think he could fit on the travelers/warriors category, and the fairy would be some sort of support as she cant fight at all, but could provide some healing and conjure food/weapons if needed. Im still new to this rp thing, but im sure i'll learn much from you guys ^^

Erynor: http://www.spiritsoftheearth.net/smf/index.php?topic=18174.msg216785#msg216785

Luna: http://www.spiritsoftheearth.net/smf/index.php?topic=18175.msg216792#msg216792

Ethereal-Star

Sure! Feel free to join in your two characters too! Perhaps they can lend a hand to Admar's own explorations of the site.

I think we've got a pretty decent group now, but if anyone else wants to jump in, don't hesitate to do so. So far, there's myself, Vyraena, Looshi, Rhi-Rhi, visualspice and Hundelar, making a total of six players and seven characters. If posting order is an issue, we can discuss it here. It might be a good idea to have a generic posting order, but not too strict if that makes sense. Just so we don't lose track of what's going on.

Ethereal-Star

The thread is up. It can be found here. Have fun!

Vyraena

First reply xD Mwahahahahahah!

I left it open so that Admar could either end up running into Magthorrosh first, or meet one of the other characters before that. Hope the post works for all of you.

Ethereal-Star

It works. I'm gonna let one of the others reply before I put in a second post though. Just so we all can start to become involved in the plot.

Hundelar

Hey, im a little busy this week so im getting on less often, but i promise i'll post as soon as i can ^^