Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

circus/theater troupe/freak show?

Started by R.R. Pebble, December 26, 2014, 09:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.R. Pebble

I'm looking for someplace for a character of mine I haven't written in a while who I miss.

I should probably make him a proper bio, but this will do for now.
In this world, Jake would be Serendipitian. Magic is strong with him, but he was injured by iron as a child and his legs no longer work right.
He is part of a traveling circus/theater/freak show. Mostly he works backstage, making everything run right through skill and glamour. Though he's also regarded as a freak because of his legs.

Anyone interested in joining the band? Or suggesting a good place for them to travel to for people to gawk? Not really sure what I want to do with him yet. Just want to get him out and interacting with other people's characters again and wasn't sure where to put him to make that happen.

Ethereal-Star

Y'know, I wonder if my character Hazel might provide some interesting interference with his troupe. She is a fairy who LOVES to cause mischief using her glamour powers and roguish tricks. She could (playfully) sabotage some of their shows with silly and stupid results. Like for example, if someone tries to create an illusion of fire, she would make it look like flowers erupting from said person's hands instead. Or make all the props "disappear." So how does that sound?

Hazel is a very funny and annoying character and she does travel too. She could prove to be quite an irritation for the troupe. Or if she's convinced she could also help with it too, but at the risk of her chaotic nature showing up quite often. Not keeping her word about something for instance. If I had to tack an alignment onto her, I would call her "chaotic annoying."

R.R. Pebble

Oh dear, she would drive Jake CRAZY. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.  :P

Most of the tricks he uses to account for his crooked legs are glamours. I have a horrible (wonderful?) image of her turning the wheels of the cart he uses to move himself and materials around backstage square and the ponies.... Yeah, she could have *far* too much fun with him.

But I wonder what would happen if he managed to convince her to use her skills in the production of entertainment? Might be interesting to see.

Where is she? We'll roll into town. :)

Would love some other people to write members of the troupe!!!

Ethereal-Star

Hazel gets around so she can pretty much be found anywhere. The one exception being Connloath (see profile). Perhaps the thread could start off with Jake and his troupe getting preparations ready for their next show and Hazel comes in behind the scenes to cause some marvelous wreckage that would only be found out as the show commences--making Jake and the others look rather silly in the process. And Hazel would be laughing her head off in the meantime.  ;D

I was looking up the SotE definition of glamour (again) and while most of it is pretty much illusion they can also enchant objects with various illusory effects--provided someone doesn't recognize it as an illusion, which Jake very well could I'd think. Then the effects would be rendered useless. However, Hazel could also just sabotage the show by mundane means plus she can pick pocket people too while invisible. Hehe.  :D She could have sooo much fun with this, yep.

As for getting Hazel on board to work with them, I think that could be an option later. But first she's gonna have lotsa fun.

R.R. Pebble

I'm afraid Jake has left himself wide open for mischief. He spends a lot of time on ropes, so he's quite skilled with them. (He also frequently uses illusory ones, but these are real.) I doubt Hazel could easily knock him down, but she could make plenty of other trouble.... Have fun!
http://www.spiritsoftheearth.net/smf/index.php?topic=18149.0

Ethereal-Star

Let me know if my last post is okay or not. I took some liberties with what Hazel sees as far as Jake's appearance goes. Of course, she could be wrong with what she assumes, just saying. If I need to edit something let me know, thanks.

R.R. Pebble

All good by me. The only physical description I know about Jake is his legs.
Also that he's not young, but doesn't look "old" per se. (so that totally fits with her reading him as looking fey-like.)

Ethereal-Star

Oh, okay good. Is Hazel also right to assume Jake has more fey blood in him than most Serenians? Since I am not sure how much the average Serenian has in terms of fey blood in them (percentage wise) I would think Jake has slightly more (perhaps about 1/4 or 1/3?) Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Now to think of what else I want my sneaky fairy to do....

R.R. Pebble

again, works for me.

He's definitely quite adept with the manipulation of glamour (and was quite affected by iron) so it seems a reasonable assumption for Hazel to make (whether or not it is true.)