Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Olwen's Blood Magic Journal

Started by Ethereal-Star, December 30, 2014, 09:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

On Blood Magic: Part 1: Healing
Written by Olwen Water-Berry

I, Olwen Water-Berry, Serenian Blood Mage of Jadenshine practice the art of blood magic. This first entry will detail the healing part of my magic. For me healing takes the form of potions. These potions have differing strengths depending on how much of my blood goes in them and what other ingredients comprise their contents. I can make a total of seven types of potions, ranging from healing simple cuts and scratches to bringing one back from the very brink of death. The process for each is as follows.

Cure Minor Wounds
Ingredients:
-1 drop of blood
-1/4 tsp aloe vera
-1 tsp lavender
-2 cups enchanted water
-5 drops alcohol preservative

Crush the herbs with mortar and pestle and then infuse in enchanted water for an hour. Drain. Add drop of blood and stir. Lastly, add in the preservative. Pour into bottles, cork and label. To use, apply directly to the injury.

Cure Light Wounds
Ingredients:
-1 drop of blood
-1/4 tsp aloe vera
-2 tsp lavender
-1/4 tsp alvo
-1 tsp dried grass root
-2 cups enchanted water

Crush the herbs with mortar and pestle and then infuse in enchanted water for two hours. Drain. Add drop of blood and stir. Lastly, add in the preservative. Pour into bottles, cork and label. To use, apply directly to the injury.

Cure Moderate Wounds
Ingredients:
-1 drop of blood
-1/2 tsp aloe vera
-2 tsp lavender
-1/2 tsp alvo
-1 tsp dried grass root
-1 tsp dried blue root
-2 cups enchanted water

Crush the herbs with mortar and pestle and then infuse in enchanted water for three hours. Drain. Add drop of blood and stir. Lastly, add in the preservative. Pour into bottles, cork and label. To use, apply directly to the injury.

Cure Serious Wounds
Ingredients:
-1 drop of blood
-1 tsp aloe vera
-2 tsp lavender
-3/4 tsp alvo
-2 tsp dried grass root
-2 tsp dried blue root
-2 cups enchanted water

Crush the herbs with mortar and pestle and then infuse in enchanted water for four hours. Drain. Add drop of blood and stir. Lastly, add in the preservative. Pour into bottles, cork and label. To use, drink all the contents of one bottle.

Cure Critical Wounds
Ingredients:
-2 drops of blood
-2 tsp aloe vera
-3 tsp lavender
-1 tsp alvo
-3 tsp dried grass root
-2 tsp dried blue root
-1 tsp Hope's Weed
-2 cups enchanted water

Crush the herbs with mortar and pestle and then infuse in enchanted water for five hours. Drain. Add drops of blood and stir. Lastly, add in the preservative. Pour into bottles, cork and label. To use, drink all the contents of one bottle.

Heal
Ingredients:
-2 drops of blood
-3 tsp aloe vera
-4 tsp lavender
-1 ¼ tsp alvo
-4 tsp dried grass root
-3 tsp dried blue root
-2 tsp Hope's Weed
-1/2 tsp Revival Remedy
-2 cups enchanted water

Crush the herbs with mortar and pestle and then infuse in enchanted water for six hours. Drain. Add drops of blood and Revival Remedy and stir. Lastly, add in the preservative. Pour into bottles, cork and label. To use, drink all the contents of one bottle.

Greater Heal
Ingredients:
-2 drops of blood
-4 tsp aloe vera
-5 tsp lavender
-1 ½ tsp alvo
-5 tsp dried grass root
-4 tsp dried blue root
-3 tsp Hope's Weed
-1/2 tsp Revival Remedy
-3 tsp powdered Star Crystal
-2 cups enchanted water

Crush the herbs in mortar and pestle and then infuse in enchanted water for a full eight hours. Drain. Add drops of blood, Revival Remedy and Star Crystal and stir.  Lastly, add in the preservative. Pour into bottles, cork and label. To use, drink all the contents of one bottle. The results of this potion differ slightly than the previous one in that life-threatening wounds heal instantly at 100% as opposed to only 80% speed, plus it has the added benefit of ridding the body of poisons, diseases and curses. This is by far the most powerful healing potion I can make and also the most time-consuming.

I find it useful to have so many types as wounds themselves can vary in seriousness as well as whether one is only injured or if they are diseased and injured too. I have had to make use of these quite frequently in laboratory mishaps and sparring mishaps with other students who get too carried away with what they are doing. The potions, fueled by the magic in my blood help to heal any kind of wound imaginable, for which I am grateful.

Some might wonder about the addition of my blood to the potions. They simply amplify the healing properties of the herbs and other ingredients in a more potent way than would be possible otherwise. The potions could still work without the blood in them, however they would be far less effective. The taste of these potions is rather gross, but they work and that is what matters in the end.

The potion making part of my magic encompasses about 60% of my practice of blood magic. It obviously requires extensive knowledge of various kinds of healing herbs and plants as well.

Blood: My own blood that is added in to increase effectiveness of all the other ingredients.

Aloe Vera: A stemless plant with serrated leaves, which are thick and fleshy, and known for its medicinal/herbal properties. ((Credit to Lion, taken from the Darken Vei province section))

Alvo: A waxy, bush-like plant, that grows in blue-hues. It's stalks are stiff and difficult to remove from the ground. When cultivated, the alvo leaves, though small, are cultivated to create herbal teas and other medicines. ((Credit to Lion, taken from the Darken Vei province section))

Lavender: A sweet-smelling plant well-known for its healing and calming properties and ability to mend all kinds of skin conditions. The herb itself has many branches with erect, rod-like green stems and long, narrow, tapered pale green leaves, which both the stems and leaves are covered in fuzz. Most of these plants are purple but can come in other colors too. Lavender is a tough plant and can easily be grown in just about any region of Le'ranna.

Dried Grass Root: A very common, hardy weed. Contains medicinal properties.

Dried Blue Root: Another somewhat common weed often found growing in the same areas as the above. Its coloring is always blue, ranging in shades from soft blue to vivid blue. Contains medicinal properties.

Hope'sWeed: A less common weed known for its revitalizing and healing properties. It is quite potent, more so than the others. It is thin and pliable and easy to pick, its coloring that of orange-yellow.

Revival Remedy: This is a combination of herbs, leaves and flowers infused with life magic. Only a small amount is ever needed. The aroma is mint-like, but the taste is rather bitter.

Star Crystal: Crystals that come in a variety of colors, most often in blue, purple, yellow and red. Their only known use is for restorative purposes and are excellent in poison negation and other such ailments of body, mind and spirit. Each one can easily be crushed to produce a huge patch of potions. The only type of potion I use this ingredient in is the Greater Heal potions as the others don't require this. While less common to find, they are not that rare so are fairly easy to acquire every so often.

Enchanted Water: Water taken from sacred, pure, magical springs and rivers most often found in The Meeting Place and the Niahi Woods. They are also great for a number of healing purposes. This is used as the base for all my potions.

Alcohol Preservative: Used to extend the shelf-life of my potions so they keep longer.

Ethereal-Star

On Blood Magic: Part 2: Harming

Blood magic can also be used to harm and in this section I will describe the various ways of doing this. This part of my magic encompasses about 30% of my practice. For all my methods, I have to use a ritual knife to draw my blood with that is only ever used for this purpose and never as a weapon. This knife has a black handle and is plain looking, no ornamentation on it at all except for a single rune which simply translates in the common tongue to the word "blood".

The harming part of my magical practice takes the form of spells. The different spells are as follows.

Weaken: From my blood drawn, I am able to channel energy to deliver a psychic blow to my enemies that saps their strength, rendering them unable to fight as effectively as before and it can also affect how much they can carry. This spell is useful for when facing off against a really strong opponent as their damage capacity is greatly lessened. It is only temporary though, the effects lasting for about one to two hours.

Poison: If the enemy has any open wounds visible, I am able to use this to my advantage with this spell. This one can quickly poison a person's blood supply, and therefore it can prove to be very fatal, very fast. Of course, it can be countered by life magic, but if said foe does not have this available to them, then their chances of survival are very slim indeed. I have had to use this against a few monstrosities in the past and it is very useful.

Clot: As said, I can use this spell to clot a foe's blood and stop it from flowing in some cases to the heart. This of course, leads to a heart attack and can quickly kill the opponent.

Bleed: Again, if an enemy has any open wounds visible, I can use this spell to make them bleed out faster, rendering them more prone to weakness and death due to blood loss.

These spells are what I use for combat purposes, and are my method of fighting.

Ethereal-Star

On Blood Magic: Part 3: Summoning

The third aspect to my blood magic takes the form of rituals where I then summon various creatures, both of this world and of other planes of existence. These rituals require more of my blood then the other two techniques, and so naturally it is more tiring to perform. Each summons requires immense research to study the exact symbols, glyphs and runes needed for casting. A new circle must be made each time. Summoning makes up the remaining 10% of my practice. I have only summoned a few creatures before in my life, but never a demon (yet). I have had no reason to do that yet. Below I will describe each summons, separated for clarity.

Fire Salamander: My first summons was a small elemental from the plane of fire. The research for this included knowledge of various fire runes and glyphs as well as generic summoning symbols and information about the plane of fire itself. The first time to summon was a bit daunting for me, but I managed great, passing with flying colors. This was test one of three in order to pass my summoning studies class. One hurdle down, two more to go.

Dire Wolf: The second in the summoning test series was to summon a dire wolf from the thick dense woods of the Draconi Forest. I will never forget the fierce predatory eyes of that beast as it appeared in the circle, contained by the strong magic binding it within. I have no doubts it would make for a fierce opponent if ever I was on the receiving end of its wrath and hunger. Symbols for this included those of earth, woodlands, beastly and primal runes.

Will-O-Wisp: The third and last in the test series was to conjure a wisp from the swampy regions of the world. Wisps are known to be tricksters, falsely "guiding" people away from their intended path and to certain doom. Their soft glowing white and yellowish lights make for a hypnotizing sight, but within the summoning circle, any attempts at foul play were safely contained and therefore negated. Glyphs and symbols included that of trickery, mischief, light and swamps.

Celestial Archon: My last and most recent summons was a celestial archon from one of the many heavenly planes and by far, the most powerful of them all. I had help from my teacher for this one, as he wanted to make sure all went accordingly. We contained the magic inside an enchanted stone for later use on the quest I am to embark upon to search for these artifacts the school wants. The celestial archon should prove to be a powerful ally, provided I even need to use it. A simple hit on the ground complete with a command word will bring it to this plane of existence and at my side to fight. Celestial archons wield both holy power and elemental magic, as well as being superb warriors with an enchanted holy sword of the heavens. Appearance-wise, they look sort of dog-like but not quite. They are quite muscular and strong too, wearing heavy armor and carrying a flaming sword at their sides. They are very difficult to defeat. And even if they were, they would simply reform back in the heavens later on as they cannot truly die. Symbols consisted of holy, divine, warrior, strength and elemental runes.

All in all, summoning requires a great deal more work and blood to perform accurately. My blood ensures that the creatures summoned are bound to me, at least for the time that I am summoning them for. Not only does it power the casting rituals, but they also make certain the creatures are under my control and have to obey what I ask of them as well as ensuring there is no retaliation later on from them (in the case of demons and other fiends from the hells.) I do not need to utilize this method very much, and I most definitely cannot do so on the go. These rituals are best performed in special summoning chambers at my school.

I now end my journal entries on blood magic. While it can be a painful process, it is a worthwhile one also, one I gladly partake in to learn all that I can.

Tags: