Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Newcomer to the islands [JackieCat]

Started by Ethereal-Star, March 23, 2015, 10:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

The ship had docked at a port town the natives here called 'Ainu', a town on the Yoreiqi Isles the captain had said. Curious, Brooke took a look around, noting all the different things and people she could see. The village they were in seemed pretty simplistic, with thatched huts raised off the ground, their straw roofs looking like they could be blown away with the slightest of gales. However they seemed to hold up better than they looked, although she doubted they could withstand a severe storm. Quite different than her own village's small wooden cottages.

The yellowish-white sand underneath her feet was soft and glistening in the morning sunlight which shone across the area. Shielding her eyes from the bright glare, she saw many peoples roaming the island town, some of them merchants selling various exotic fruits and vegetables, some the likes of which Brooke had never seen.

She watched as a dark-skinned older man with black hair streaked with purple handed over a bag of some green fruit to a customer who had purchased them. This customer also had dark skin and hair, but with neon-green and yellow streaks in his. However the most notable thing about him was that he sported wings! Large white and red wings that mimicked some kind of foreign tropical bird. Brooke stared at this and could not stop staring, she was so amazed at this. What kind of person had wings? She wondered in awe. The man also sported nothing but a loin cloth, barefoot and bare chested, hair pulled back away from his face. Brooke blushed as the man looked over at her and caught her staring. He smiled a friendly smile of greeting and called out what she could assume was a 'hello there!' but Brooke could not understand a word he said! The tonal, clipped sound of the language he used was strange and she found herself stupefied by this.

The brown-haired girl continued to stare stupidly, and then shook herself when she noticed that he had moved on, shaking his head in amusement as he left. Brooke looked over the rest of the place and saw many more of these dark-skinned people. There didn't seem to be much variety among the population in terms of skin and hair colors. Her own village was mostly of blondes and brunettes with occasional black-haired folks mixed in. Red or auburn hair was unheard of though. Certainly not these bright... colors she was witnessing streaked throughout just about every person's hair she saw. They also wore very little and Brooke could see why, for her own garb was starting to become stifling hot in this warm weather. A woman passed her by, and Brooke noticed with shock, that she was topless! Mouth agape, Brooke found herself staring yet again. Luckily, the woman seemed not to notice her staring and had moved on, carrying a basket of flowers in one hand as she talked with another merchant on the scene.

Slowly, she managed to command her feet to do something and move, and not just stand there like an idiot. Taking off her white shawl, she brushed her hair back from her face and continued looking around to see where she could go and what she could do. Uncertain, she moved towards a group of people before stopping and hesitating, then going a different way. Everything was so strange here, the people were strange, and to Brooke it was definitely a culture shock. Seagulls flew overhead and Brooke stared at these majestic white birds as well. She had seen a few near Blueport before arriving here, but it was still a new experience to see such huge birds.

Hefting her small pack over her shoulder, the girl wandered over to a grove of palm trees and sat down on the sand. She hadn't really thought this through when she made her decision to leave her home. But then again, she wouldn't be alive right now if she hadn't. The heat of the sun poured down on her face and shoulders and Brooke started to sweat a bit. She noted with dismay that she smelled. When was the last time she had had a proper bath? A few weeks at least. The journey across the ocean was a long one to be sure, and she had only had the opportunity for quick sponge baths, if even that. Wrinkling her nose, Brooke scowled and leaned back against the tree before yelping and turning around. The tree's bark she was leaning against had some prickly stuff on it that she hadn't noticed before she sat down. Rubbing her back a little, she winced and then scooted away from the thorny tree but still somewhat within its meager shade.

Opening her bag, she rummaged through it to take stock of her 'inventory' of supplies. A few stale pieces of bread, a flask of water and a pouch of nuts made up what food she still had left, a couple changes of clothing and a few copper coins for currency, although Brooke doubted they would use the same type of coin here. Looking further, she noted her diary and quill with pot of ink in the bottom of the bag, and also a couple extra hair ties. The only other thing she had in there was a thin wool blanket, scratchy and uncomfortable, but it was the only thing she could really find to take with her on her journey, and she didn't want to waste too much time deciding on what to actually bring.

Closing her bag up, the girl sighed and blew some wayward hair out of her face that had fallen loose from her leather hair band. What was she going to do now? She'd thought about it on the ship of course, but hadn't really known what to expect once they got to where they were going. Now that she was here, she hadn't the faintest clue now. She supposed she could always work for someone as a servant, and receive shelter, a bed and food that way for a few coppers a day but other than that, she had her skills with sewing and basket weaving. That could also prove useful just about anywhere, she thought. Surely she could find some work...

People wandered on by, and Brooke could have sworn she felt a set of eyes on her. She looked around but didn't see anyone looking her way. Frowning, she hesitated before starting to get up and walk around aimlessly again. Sitting here all day wasn't really an option, she needed to find an actual place to stay. So that was her 'quest' for now. Find someone she could talk to about work and having a roof over her head again. She hoped it wouldn't be that difficult but one never knew. Walking on, she still felt eyes on her and again, looked around for the source. Through the thick throng of people here, she thought she saw who it was...

JackieCat

Healin walked across the sand, a thick woolen cloak fasted tightly around their shoulders with the hood drawn up.  A scarf was wrapped around their head, leaving only the storm-grey eyes visible.  Despite the heat, the person did not seem uncomfortable at all.

They looked quite out of place among the other people, who were all dressed accordingly to the heat, and Healin got quite a few stares, but they paid no heed to the looks and continued down the beach. 

After a few more minutes of walking Healin came upon the town, and, despite the crowd of people, Healin saw the girl immediately.  They made a beeline for her.

They approached and stepped in front of the girl, blocking her path, which seemed to be on the way to nowhere.

"You need work." It was not a question.  The voice was indistinguishable as male or female, and the cloak and scarf covered any other telling features.  The person continued. "And I have it."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOC: Healin doesn't have a character bio yet.  I'll get one up when I have the chance, but I think all your character needs to know for the moment is what's in this post. :))
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

Startled, Brooke looked up into the scarf-covered face of the person, whoever it was. Their storm-grey eyes seemed to stare at her in an unblinking yet expectant gaze. For a moment, she hesitated in saying anything. "W-work?" she stuttered out. "What kind of work?"

Brooke was unsure about taking a job from this mysterious individual, but she was by no means wary either, just a little confused. However it was likely she would take him or her up on their offer, seeing as the girl had no reason to suspect any kind of unscrupulous intentions. She just needed to know what kind of job first before agreeing to anything.

JackieCat

"I need an assistant," Healin said.  Their voice was emotionless, but not flat. "I travel, and I do many differnt things around all of Le'raana and the surrounding isles.  I need someone to assist me in my travels and the jobs that I do.  You will be doing any number of odd jobs."

Healin studied the girl as they spoke, taking in every detail, the way she stood, the way she spoke, the way she acted in general.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

"An assistant? Travel all around the continent? But I just got here." Brooke considered what this person was asking her to do. Any number of odd jobs, they said. She supposed it couldn't be too bad, if she could earn a living and some coin to help her out. Plus a roof over her head.

"Well, I can sew and weave baskets. Even repair torn clothing. Is that what you're wanting me to do? But I do need something to do." Brooke responded, trying to get a better read on the gender of this person but it was hard to tell.

All around them, the island folk were staring at the two of them, and Brooke felt uneasy under all the scrutiny even if the majority of it was centered on the strange cloaked figure. Shifting from foot to foot awkwardly, she looked back at the person covered from head to toe, obscuring all details except their eyes.

JackieCat

"You do not have to accept," Healin said, paying no heed to the stares that they got. "Take your time with your answer.  If you like, you can wait to answer until sundown, where we can meet at the Heron Inn where you can tell me your decision, or you can answer now."

Healin stood in silence as they waited for the girl's answer, not moving.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

"I-" Again, Brooke hesitated. Then decided what was the harm after all. "Alright, I guess so. I will be your assistant." She did after all need the coin. "What do I need to do?"

JackieCat

Healin nodded when Brooke agreed to work for them.  "For now, we simply are going to travel.  We need to get to the ship that I have hired.  We will go to the mainland of Le'raana."

'It will be safer there,' they added in their head.

Haelin looked around, as if looking for someone, then they looked back to Brooke.  "We have not shared our names," they said. "I am Healin, what name do you go by?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

"Okay." Brooke said uncertainly, shifting from one foot to the other in an awkward manner. "How--how long will the journey take?"

Then they started walking, the people were still staring but fewer of them now as most had gone back to whatever they were doing before, having lost interest. Brooke answered their question as they stepped over the endless yellow sands of Ainu. "My name is Brooke, Brooke Milton." she answered her grey-eyed employer.

Hesitating a second, she asked Healin another question. "I have never heard of the name Healin before. Where do you come from?"

JackieCat

"We will be at sea for two months," Healin said. "We will make port near Niahi Woods, though I don't suppose you know where that is, do you?"

Healin looked ahead as they walked, and when Brooke asked where they came from, they glanced down at her.  "From very far away from here," they said. "And even farther away than from where you come from.  You do not know the name of the place where I come from."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

Brooke shook her head no. "No I don't." she said softly, looking up at Healin. Still trying to figure out if the person was a he or a she but didn't ask as she figured that would be rude.

Sighing a bit at the mention of being out at sea for two months. Brooke still hadn't completely gotten over the feel of the ship constantly swaying back and forth, and sometimes she felt she was still on it. But at least she hadn't been retching over the side constantly, like one of the other people on board had been. A budding new sailor, still getting used to the swing of things on board a ship is what he told her with a sheepish grin. Before retching over the side again, face slightly tinged green from it all.

Wrinkling her nose at the memory, she focused back on what her guide was saying to her. "My own village was rather small, and kind of in the middle of nowhere. Although not too far off from some of the other cities and towns." she admitted.

But while Brooke was glad she had left, she still felt a kind of uneasiness about the whole thing. As though the village god Folkvardr would somehow punish her for her blatant disrespect toward him. She almost half-expected to be hit by a bolt of lightning for her actions. But so far, nothing of the sort had happened.

JackieCat

The walk across the sand took only a few minutes, then they were at the port.  It was small, since not many foreigners came to the islands, but there were three large ships docked, and several smaller ones, mostly canoes.

Healin started for one of the large ships, it was big, but sleek and fast.  Three masted, a flag flew on the top of the mainmast.

(OOC: I just read the Yoreiqi page and found that the journey is two months, rather than two weeks, to the mainland.  I'm going to have to change that! :P
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

Hesitating at the sight of the ships, Brooke slowly began to move her feet forward again. Adjusting the white shawl around her neck, a slight breeze coming off the shore here, the girl gazed in awe at the large water-bound vessel. The ship she had arrived here on was not as big as this one, but the former was still bigger than the smaller boats and canoes all anchored at the port area.

A few dark-skinned and some not so dark-skinned sailors were wandering around the ships, helping out with the various tasks required of them, the ship captain looking on and supervising everything, barking out orders here and there where needed. The sailors were also shirtless, bulging muscles rippling under the heat of the sun glaring down upon them, and Brooke couldn't help but stare. Some of them were also very handsome, sans the two with mustaches which looked very much like overgrown bar handles hanging down their chins. Plus they were kind of old, being in their late forties to early fifties.

One of the younger men, a guy with short, golden-blonde hair and piercing blue eyes who looked to be in his early twenties, noticed her mouth hanging agape staring at them shamelessly, and winked at her flirtatiously. Brooke immediately looked away, but the reddish-pink blush covering her face was difficult to hide. The sailor chuckled lightly and promptly went back to work, leaving behind a very flustered Brooke to try to calm her raging hormones that were racing through her body.

((OOC: Okay, I will also edit my previous post as well, since I mentioned the time frame too.))

JackieCat

Healin's eye flickered over to Brooke to watch her take in the ship and, more specifically, the crewmen.  When the blond boy winked at her Healin showed no emotion, save for a slight twinkle in their gray eyes.

They walked up the gangplank and onto the deck.  There was a man guarding the bottom of the gangplank, so no unwanted visitors could board the ship, but he made no move to stop Healin, merely nodding at the person as they and Brooke stepped onto the gangplank.

Once on the deck, Healin looked around for the captain.  "We set sail tonight," Healin said. "I'm assuming you have nothing you need to attend to on shore before we go?"

Healin was sure of the answer, but they asked out of courtesy.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Ethereal-Star

Brooke shook her head no. "I'm fine, thank you." she assured them.

Looking back once more to try and catch a glimpse of the handsome blonde sailor who was still busy working, helping to hoist the sails and everything, and therefore did not notice her gaze this time. She stood awkwardly on the deck, not knowing exactly what to do now, nervously tucking a lock of brown hair behind one ear, before looking back at Healin. Not saying anything as she wasn't sure what to say at this time.

JackieCat

Healin's eyes fell upon the captain and the man turned to them and walked across the deck to meet them.

"Ah, Healin!" the big man said cheerfully, his loud voice booming across the deck. "It's good that you could make it!"

Healin sighed, the first real sign of emotion they had shown yet, and when they spoke, there was slight exasperation in their voice, as if they were somewhat tired of dealing with this captain. "It is not even afternoot yet, Captain Kreil, there is a small chance that I would have missed the boat."

Captian Kreil laughed, then looked to Brooke. "And who's this?"

"This is Brooke," Healin said. "A recent acquaintance of mine."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Tags: