Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hyoitian Plague: Brainstorming thread

Started by Klezmer Gryphon, March 24, 2015, 10:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klezmer Gryphon

As I was contemplating some smaller plot ideas and such for my new character Muirne, I had the wonderful idea of having a plague of some sort sweep through not only Hyoite, but also the other nomadic camps around the tundra. Perhaps not something like Plague caused by yersinia pesits, but maybe a magical disease or disorder (part of the fun could be having a couple characters figuring out what the heck this disease is!). So, anyone up for an epidemic of FUN?!

Wicked Basket

I could go for some epidemic fun. I have an ice mage from Hyoite that wouldn't mind lending a hand to save his home from certain destruction.

visualspice

Maybe the epidemic originated from the fell? Considering if its a magic plague, but that's my two cents!
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ethereal-Star

Perhaps characters could be affected by a mass wave of nightmares whenever they sleep? Forebodings of something even darker to come?

Wicked Basket, I too have an ice mage from Hyoite! What a coincidink, huh?

I could also use my crystal dragon character here too. She needs mo threads. Zy'raxas lives in the Kilanthro Mountains.

Or maybe the 'disease' is similar to Fell's Curse, a sort of wild magic phenomena where magic works haphazardly or not at all? Think like if someone tried to cast a fireball spell and ended up with them turning themselves into a chicken as a result. Of course, this would only affect those with magical talents though and the antidote would be somewhat easier to come by than the Fell curse's antidote would be.

Or we could go the normal plague route and have it result in severe itching? Or something? Although, I like the first idea best.

Klezmer Gryphon

Loss of magical control certainly seems to be a popular idea, so that will definitely wind up being part of it. Other symptoms I thought of while I was at school include:

-Low body temperature
-Severe cough
-Buboes (swollen lymph nodes)
-Chills
-Hallucinations
-Anemia
-Fatigue

So, that's what I'm bringing to the table.

Wicked Basket

Ice mages and Hyoite seem to go together. :P

visualspice

It should be like, the mage gets these symptoms like it could be some other, normal illness, but the more they use their magic, the worse it becomes. Eventually, perhaps iftheir magic is.not removed, they die? Could also be the off shoot of a misexperiment of some of the less known church's of Connlaoth to rid the world.of magic.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Klezmer Gryphon

visualspice

Glad you like it. It can also, at the same time, have even been created by influences found in the Fell, like it comes from like moss that grew in that area, or something.

Klezmer Gryphon

Perhaps that's how the church found out about it XD Although, if it affects magic users and gets progressively worse with magic use, I guess the only way to treat the disease is to refrain from using magic. Since Connlaoth is primarily human, I'm going to assume that the disease primarily affects humans and human-like races such as elves, dwarves, etc., but probably wouldn't affect something like a dragon, for instance.

Klezmer Gryphon

And just a note to everyone: I changed the thread title to Hyoitian Plague: Brainstorming thread. Here within a few days, I'll get an actual plotting thread up and running so we can plot all this epidemic fun.

DaGlobster

Maybe magic users infected by the plague could just inevitably deteriorate? Sure, using their magic would make them die faster, but I think if everyone who had it could just not die by not using their magic, I think it wouldn't carry as much weight.

Maybe the disease could act like a magical type of leprosy? Perhaps those killed by the disease could rise again as these unstable magical zombies or something, which are animated by raw magical energy until they're killed or just completely consumed by the disease.

Klezmer Gryphon

Good point, Globster. Given the symptoms I listed earlier, I think it's only natural that the body's health deteriorate even if magic use is avoided. Although, I'm not sure what you mean by it possibly acting as a magical type of leprosy.

DaGlobster

Like, as the disease progresses into its final stages, it starts showing the same symptoms as Leprosy.

Klezmer Gryphon

To be honest, that doesn't quite click with me, if only because there are so many diseases that resemble leprosy, or have nearly the exact same symptoms.

visualspice

yeah, magic use speeding up the process is what I was aiming for, but perhaps death is certain since there's no known cure, since perhaps magical healing actually is an immediate death sentence? Or something to that effect, to the affected persons.

And I think it should affect any living creature that has a conscience, you know? Like if a dragon can also have a human half, or an animal that can become human- in a sense, should also be affected since technically, some aspect of them is human, or human like.

If that makes sense, *rambles*

Klezmer Gryphon

If the disease affected everything that had a conscience, then everyone would be affected (which, while certainly serving as a solution to Connlaoth's mage problem, it would punish everyone unnecessarily). Perhaps it only affects magic users?

visualspice

Well, yeah, I thought that was the idea of the plague. :P to affect magic users only. I'm just adding to that original idea.

Klezmer Gryphon

Indeed XD But the way you worded the other post made it seem like you wanted it to affect everyone. And my reasoning for saying it would mainly affect humans (as well as dwarves, elves, and the like), was primarily based on the fact that Connlaoth is primarily comprised of humans. I can see a half human, half dragon hybrid being affected, but not to the extent as the disease would a full human.

On that same note, I'm not quite sure how this plague would affect people such as Muirne, who are not human, but rather some variety of beast people....

visualspice

I think if they act more human than beast, they're more human than beast, so it would probably affect them at almost the same level, though perhaps if their beast influence is meant to have a strong immune system, certainly that would help as well.