Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hyoitian Plague: Brainstorming thread

Started by Klezmer Gryphon, March 24, 2015, 10:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klezmer Gryphon

I was thinking along the lines that they would have a stronger immune system than humans, so perhaps they wouldn't be affected to the degree that humans would be, or perhaps not affected at all depending on the state of the individual in question.

Cambie

What's the vector (how it spreads)?

What if the disease spreads by being in too close proximity to an infected magic user, if that magic is used? So maybe it affects non-magical people too if they're standing too close. This could lead to a cool situation where social stigma is so great that mages basically get kicked out of their homes for fear of the disease, like with leprosy.

Klezmer Gryphon

I'm actually not sure what the vector should be. I was thinking bacteria or parasite initially.

I also like the idea of the mages being outcasts if they catch the disease. Hmmm.... That also gives me an idea.... What if this plague spread further south into the mage camps in Connlaoth? *evil gryphon is evil*

visualspice

Quote from: Klezmer Gryphon on March 25, 2015, 09:47:56 AM
I'm actually not sure what the vector should be. I was thinking bacteria or parasite initially.

I also like the idea of the mages being outcasts if they catch the disease. Hmmm.... That also gives me an idea.... What if this plague spread further south into the mage camps in Connlaoth? *evil gryphon is evil*

Or what if it originated at the mage camps and spreads North? XD
Though I still like it coming from the Fell (as that makes sense with the site's canon), but it COULD be both, like it was discovered in the Fell and first used and infected a mage camp?
Or you  know, it spreads on 'accident'.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Klezmer Gryphon

Quote from: visualspice on March 25, 2015, 10:34:10 AM

Or what if it originated at the mage camps and spreads North? XD
Though I still like it coming from the Fell (as that makes sense with the site's canon), but it COULD be both, like it was discovered in the Fell and first used and infected a mage camp?
Or you  know, it spreads on 'accident'.

Yeah... "Accident". If it was, as you were suggesting earlier, discovered in Fell, and used in experiments by the church, I imagine it would have to be some sort of fungus or parasite, since they wouldn't know about bacteria or viruses. If that's the case, then I can definitely see it being tested in a mage camp, and then "accidentally" getting loose further up in the tundra. Although... That also makes me think: would it affect only mages with life and elemental magic, or would it affect those with other forms of arcane knowledge as well? (In my personal opinion, divination and scrying would more fall under blessings from higher powers rather than common form of magic... But that's just me... )

visualspice

That's probably up to you (or your peers lol), but that makes sense to me!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ethereal-Star

Simply put, I think it would make the most sense and be simpler if it affected ALL kinds of mortal magics (excluding immortal forces). So that would be elemental magic, life magic, primal magic, divination and demon craft. Also necromancy too which for some reason isn't listed as a magic discipline. So those with glamour, holy power and demonic power would remain unaffected.

By the way, I think this disease should have a cure, albeit difficult to come by as I don't think people are gonna want to kill off their mage characters like this. Maybe some, but you would get more takers if you did have a cure or tonic of some kind. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Klezmer Gryphon

There was eventually going to be a cure. If it were only Muirne looking for the cure, it'd take A LONG, LONG time before it was ever found (mainly because she's only one woman having to deal with a LOT of sick people at once...). So far as it affecting all schools of magic, excepting immortal forces, I can see that being simpler. But, perhaps like I stated earlier, it would only affect humans and other human-esque beings, such as elves and dwarves (I'm doing this primarily because I wouldn't know how the immune system of something like a dragon or a deer-woman would work, although in either case, I can see the disease being a minor inconvenience for them rather than a life threatening problem).

Also, I got to thinking about factions and whatnot. Obviously, you'd have people trying to cure the disease and help those infected (Muirne definitely falls into this group), but I also think there'd be some superstitious or religiously zealous people trying to appease the gods to lift the plague? Ideas on that, guys and gals?

visualspice

Just some food for thought, it could be THEE Fell curse (as this more or less what we've all been talking about describes the Fell curse prefectly. Info on it found here!)

We could presume it's some sort of corruption of this curse, thus making it seem a bit worse and possibly something easier to control, but as equally deadly and quick to spread?