Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The World Beyond (Closed)

Started by Aleron, April 09, 2015, 01:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleron

The sound of soft lute music drifted through the air. Aleron's ear perked, listening to the sound. It was peaceful, soothing, and inviting. With night drawing nearer by the minute he decided to go inside the small inn across the cobblestone road. It was a squat building, with clay walls and a thatch roof. But the smell of cooking meats and baking bread lured him in.
Inside was something he had never seen before. The people, all dressed in light trousers and thin dresses, sat around a fire. A woman played an ornate lute in the corner, singing along to her melody in delicate whispers. Aleron approached the innkeeper.
"Excuse me, sir," he said. The innkeeper's back was turned as he cleaned a mug with a woolen cloth.
"Excuse me," Aleron repeated. He leaned slightly over the counter as if to tap the man's shoulder, but decided against it.
He instead sat down on a wobbly wooden stool and closed his eyes. He'd been walking the whole day, not resting, and had finally arrived at a town. He thought back on his journey.
Earlier that day, just at sunrise, he had awoken as usual to milk the cows and check for chicken's eggs. Few others were awake, so he went about business more leisurely. The first sign that something was off had been when he opened the door to the barn. The cows were all lowing nervously, and wouldn't be milked. He shrugged to this and moved on to the chickens. But they, too, were distraught. It was when he heard a scream come from the village that he turned to see the culprit. A horrible creature was running throughout the village, screaming like nothing he had heard before. It was tall and bony, with hollow eyes and gray skin. It pounced on a girl, killing her in a mess of thrashing arms and blood.
Aleron, desperate to remain hidden, slunk into the henhouse and crouched behind a pile of hay.
There he waited, for an hour, until the screams turned to sobs and the cries of the monster faded away. He emerged to find over fifteen people slaughtered. Heart pumping, he searched to see if his innermost fears were false. But alas, they were not, for lying in the middle of the carcasses was his mother. Holding back tears, he looked at the villagers, begging silently for them to do something. To react. Surely they lost loved ones too. But they just stood at the edge, watching silently, emptiness in their eyes. He had switched places with them, and as they observed without word he wept over the body of his young mother.
He left her side after an hour, silent and determined to leave behind the sadness he felt. He returned to his wooden home and gathered as many blankets, clothes, and food as he could. Arming himself with a dagger and wearing his father' sold hunting vest, he left the village. The tears had dried but the emotion hadn't. And when he looked back, one last time, all he saw were the unprotesting faces of the survivors.

He'd walked that whole day, and when the afternoon turned late he found himself at a town. He searched for an inn, and that was where he found himself now.

Aleron placed his hands on the table. He promised himself not to cry; it was a foreign place, where the people preyed on the weak. But he felt no urge to. All he felt was the bitter after taste of remorse. His mother's death had caused great suffering, but in the solitude of the open road he lost all traces of sadness. Instead, his current thoughts were on getting good and a bed.

"Sir," he said one last time. The innkeeper did not turn around. Understanding that the man was simply ignoring him, he did not persist and instead sat near the fire, in an empty table at the corner of the room. He slouched in the chair, using his burlap sack as a pillow. And with the sound of the lute in the background, he slowly drifted off, failing to notice the figure approaching him from the other corner.

JackieCat

Lorin snorted quietly in contempt at the young man sitting at the bar, he was obviously new to city life.  A farmer, most likely.  Though there was something different about him. . .  Aha!  His ears, they were a bit pointed, and he was built similar to an elf, but he had to much noticeable musculature to be one.  A Half-Elf, perhaps?  No, he was too human-looking.  A distant relative could have been an elf, who knows?

Lorin was leaning against the wall, arms crossed, in the shadows.  She was from Arca, but had decided she wanted something a little different from her normal day, something exiting!  Well, actually, her life was very exiting.  She was a thief, she stole stuff.  She was an expert at her craft, but she was still seen on occasion and chased.  She had only been caught a few times in her life, and all of them she had escaped from unharmed.  Well, not completely unharmed.  A bruise here, or a cut there, nothing serious. 

Lorin had traveled a lot as a young teen, and she decided to come to a town called Edersden.  She had been to this town before, and was familiar with the tavern.  The ale wasn't the best, but it was cheap.

The tavern was starting to fill, even more than it had been before, and the lute player and her listeners were forced to move closer to each other for the other patrons to fit.

The young man Lorin assumed to be a farmer sat down at a table in the corner of the room that was empty.  Lorin saw his money pouch and immediately  stepped away from the wall.  She pulled a pair of fingerless leather gloves from her belt and slipped them over her green-skinned hands.  Then the young elf started to make her way through the crowd that now filled the tavern.  She slipped between two mug-holding dwarves and then she was behind the young man.  Lorin was an expert, and she reached for his pouch, effortlessly taking from him.  She was about to step away when one of the dwarves behind her backed accidentally into her.  She stumbled forward and right into the back of the young man's chair.

She swore colorfully.
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Wicked Basket

One of Gen's favorite hobbies was people watching. He found it fascinating how different people spoke and reacted to different things, and it especially easy for him because he was blind. No one could ever tell he was watching them. As he sat, he saw the bartender blatantly ignoring a young man who was obviously troubled. If that weren't enough an elf then tried to steal from him, but ending up colliding with a dwarf.

Gen swiftly made his way across the bar, his blindness being no hindrance whatsoever. He came up the boy and the elf. The dwarf didn't even care that he had bumped into anyone, so he was not a factor.

"That's quite a colorful vocabulary," Gen said calmly to the elf. "I highly suggest you give this young man his money back. If you refuse, I'll have to take it from you." 

It wasn't often someone receive such a threat from a blind man, but Gen was dead serious. He didn't need his eyes to see. 

JackieCat

"Why thank you, good sir.  I really try my best." Lorin said, bowing, and as she bowed she ducked away into the crowd.

Uhg.  Why did that blind guy have to show up?  She would have been able to slip away unseen if it hadn't been for him.  Well, she had slipped away unseen but not unnoticed.  The man had been kind of scary, tall, blind, shirtless, scarred.  She ran towards the door, but in the crowd, it was slow going, she looked behind her but couldn't see the young man or the scary looking one.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Aleron

Aleron thanked the old man, wondering how he had seen the commotion in his blindness, and clutched protectively of his coin purse. Luckily the thief had given it back before her attempt to steal into the crowd. He turned to the blind man, extending a hand.
"Thank you," he said with a sigh of relief. He smiled genuinely to the man, who returned the gesture.
"The name's Gen," he said. He extended a hand to Aleron, who shuck it gratefully.
"If it means you no offense," Aleron began, "How did you see that lady steal from me? I mean, you are blind, right? So how is it that you, well, did that?"

JackieCat

Lorin chuckled and ran her fingers through her long ponytail of black hair.  She had gotten out of the tavern and was now in the alley behind it.  She tossed the coin purse in her hand, the coins clinking together.  It was always handy to have a spare purse, one that could be filled with other small pieces of metal to replace the real purse with.  Usually the switch wouldn't be noticed until the thief was long gone.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Wicked Basket

Gen chuckled.

"There are more ways to see than with just your eyes," Gen told him. "Now why don't we see if we can't get that bartender's attention. I'm willing to be that he'll listen to me."

(OOC: By the way. Please don't make my character do things. I will decide what my character does.  ;) )

Aleron

"Eh," Aleron groaned. "Thank you, but I think I'll pass. I don't want to bother him. Maybe we can set a raincheck for that meal, though. I'd love to hear more about your gift." Aleron smiled at Gen.
He was hungry, indeed, but was wary of the innkeeper's rudeness. Not wanting to deal with those kinds of people, he decided to leave the inn and search for another place to eat and rest. He went to the street and ran his hand over his money bag. It was a close call, nearly losing it. He traced over the familiar leather, feeling the strings. But something was off. He lifted it for further examination. To his horror, he realized that the thief had not left clean. His mother's ring, which had been tied to the string that clasped the purse shut, was missing. He frantically looked inside the purse and realized it was full of odd trinkets and metal pieces. He swore aloud and groaned in frustration. But he knew she couldn't be far. And with that purse being his key to surviving, he knew he couldn't let it go. He quickly whispered a spell under his breath. "Alusiu del rivelo," he said. Bring light to my foe. A small flash of light light the sky to his right, in between two houses. The charm could only be used once, so he sprinted in the direction the light had been at. He was going  to catch her using the one thing he knew best: he was going to practice some more offensive magic on this petty criminal.

Aleron

(OOC: Hey I'm gonna be leaving for hopefully a little bit. But I might not be able to get on later tonight. Wicked Basket, your free to control what Aleron says so that you guys can continue the story. Just try to remain with his character and personality and don't make him do anything too big. Maybe, since I'm leaving, Aleron gets to the alley and finds Lorin but she knocks him out and he wakes up later in Gen's house or something. And the Lorin goes far away of whatever and when I return Aleron (and maybe Gen) go after her)

JackieCat

Lorin saw that there was a ring tied to the purse, she was just about to examine it more closely when she saw a flash of light.  She narrowed her eyes, trying to see where the light had come from, then she heard the sound of footsteps.  Running footsteps.  She sucked in a breath, great!  She was being chased.  She took off running, sprinting away.  She mentally kicked herself, she had been a fool to look at what she had stolen right behind the alleyway, and now she could be caught.

"Oh, no!" Lorin thought. "I will not be caught, not this elf!"

She was familiar with the tavern she had just left, but the part of the town around it was strange to her, she knew these streets no more than the person chasing her, as she suspected it was the young elf/man.  She turned a corner and skidded to a halt.

"No!" A dead end.  Lorin looked frantically around for an escape way.  Lorin was an excellent climber, but the walls of the dead end were smooth and tall.  There was nothing in the alley for her to climb onto to get over it, and she could heard quick footsteps approaching.

She backed up against the wall and drew her two small daggers.

(OOC: A fine idea, Aleron.  It's up to Wicked Basket now!)
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Wicked Basket

(OOC: Ehhhhh. I'm not very comfortable with controlling other people's characters. Besides, Gen doesn't even have a house. :P He's a wanderer.)

JackieCat

(OOC: I know what you mean, Wicked Basket.  We can wait for Aleron.)
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Aleron

(OOC: Alright, I'm back. Sorry for the wait. I do think that a story of Lorin getting away and Aleron has to chase far and wide after her. Maybe Gen can follow along in search of adventure? I don't know, but for know, I think Aleron should be knocked out.)

Wicked Basket

(OOC: I think you need to show up in the alley first.  ;D )

Aleron

Aleron

Aleron ran as fast as he could to the place where the light flashed. If he didn't make it there on time, all his money would be gone. With a great, exasperated bound he found himself in front of the alley. It had grown dark by now, and he couldn't see very well. He waved his hand before him and a pulse of light shot out from him. The alley was narrow, and steep walled. If the thief had entered here, there would be no way of escaping upward. Therefore, he mused, she would have to be somewhere further in the alley.
There were no noises to be heard, and as he headed forward, the hairs on his neck began to tingle. Old, decaying sheets of papers blew past him as small breezes were channeled between the high brick walls. Piles of refuse clumped against the cobble, and rats scurried past him. His ears, toned to hear the sharpest noises after years of solitude in the pastures of his home, mysteriously heard nothing but frantic rodent squeaks and the whistling wind. But suddenly something caught his attention. Breaths, coming short and fast from ahead. He smiled maliciously, which shocked him. For as far as he knew, Aleron was rather gentle soul. But faced against the present menace, he found himself caught up in planning what type of magic he would use to capture the fiend. When he decided he would use his mastery over physical objects--a skill that came naturally to him--he proceeded. The breaths were louder now, and he picked up his pace. Finally, when the breaths and footsteps seemed just feet ahead, he shot a blast of light at the crook. But there was nothing there but a flat brick wall. "W-what?" He stammered, confused. He spun around on his heel, searching for her. He could hear running footsteps, but they were not heading away from him towards the road. As a matter of fact, he could not tell which direction they were coming from. That meant that whatever was happening, she was not leaving to escape. She was staying. He shot bursts of light in either direction but saw nothing. He realized that he was trapped, lost deep in a city alleyway, with a criminal to which he knew not the extent. Regret filled his mind and he spun around in circles, gasping, searching for the threat.
Suddenly the footsteps stopped, and he heard the breaths grow calm. Despite the fact that he was running low on magical energy, he shot blasts of pure force in random directions, hoping to accidental hit the woman. Papers exploded into the air and the stone bricks creaked as his emotions peaked in a horror equal only to what he'd felt that morning. He knew--well, worried--that this was not going to end well.

JackieCat

Lorin heard and saw the young man turn the corner.  He looked around, but didn't see her, backed up against the wall, in the dark.  Lorin was breathing heavily, in fear, but then she realized that, in the dark, he couldn't see her.  He was turning an a circle, trying to glimpse her, then he started to use magic.

Lorin leaped aside as a projectile of force shot past her.  He was firing random shots, hoping to hit her.  She almost laughed, though it wasn't perfect, her vision in this light was better than the young man's, even if he was part elf.

Lorin ran around him until she was positioned directly behind him.  She raised her dagger, and winced, she didn't much like violence, especially against innocent people, but in her job, it was sometimes necessary.  Lorin had never killed an innocent person, though a few other thieves and murderers had met the wrong end of her blade.  Lorin steeled herself and brought the butt of her dagger down sharply towards the young mans' head, hoping to hit him and knock him out.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Aleron

As Aleron spun in the darkness, he heard the rustle of foot steps focus behind him. But, before he could turn around to counter any attack, he felt a sudden pang of pain and then he heard nothing. His limp body crumpled to the ground with a thud, and the brick walls held still once more. The papers ceased their chaos and the alley fell still. All became normal in the narrow sliver between buildings, all but the quick footsteps of the thief rounding the corner to the city street.

JackieCat

Lorin winced as the young man crumpled to the ground.  She bit her lip, she really hated violence.  She backed away and then turned, running down the alley away from where the young man lay.  As she neared where the inn was she changed course, she didn't want to run into the blind guy.  Though he was blind, he looked tough, not like most of the blind people Lorin saw, small, frail.

Oh, no, this guy had been the exact opposite of that description. He had been more than six feet tall and muscly, not to mention the sword at his hip.

As she ran, Lorin tied the money pouch onto her belt.  She wondered how much the ring was worth.  Then she realized that the ring may have had sentimental value to the young man.  The ring of someone he loved who may have been lost.  At this thought Lorin stopped in her tracks.  She felt a sharp pang of guilt, but then she shook her head.  She was a thief, stealing was what she did!  If she gave back every ring or piece of jewelry, she would be starving or dead.

She shook her head again and started to move again.  She was now in a busy street and with all of the people and horses around, it would be hard to find her in the crowd.

She just hoped that the blind swordsman didn't come after her.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

thehiddenbeast13

The "woman" who was playing the lute stood up as he saw a series of flashes and carefully put down his borrowed lute onto the ground before quickly running outside. He then heard a harsh hiss in the back of his head and only said,"I know, I know, we shouldn't be out here..." The boy sighed, but continued walking down the dirt path until he found the source of the flashes, a small alley way. The boy cautiously peeked in and saw a person unconscious on the ground. The boy walked towards him, but heard the same hiss telling him to stay away, but the boy knelt down and began to shake the person before saying,"Sir, are you alright?"