Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The World Beyond (Closed)

Started by Aleron, April 09, 2015, 01:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked Basket

Though Gen could not detect light, he did detect the sizzle of the bolts of light as they traveled through the air despite the distance. Gen left the inn and walked to the source of the disturbance. When he arrived at the alleyway, he saw the young man from the inn as well as someone else who he had never seen before.

"What happened here," he asked the stranger.

Aleron

Aleron slowly drifted back and forth to consciousness, a great pain throbbing at the back of his head. He groaned as he felt his bones aching from the fall. A noise came from nearby, but he couldn't quite hear it. Soon his ears could focus on it better, though, and he could make out words. "Sir. Are you alright?"
He groggily looked around, cracking his neck and cringing at the sudden flare of pain. His only thoughts were of his mother's ring. His money? That could be earned again, with a fair amount of work. He could at least get food that night from Gen the blind man who saw more than Aleron ever did. But his mother's ring was irreplaceable, the only token he had of her memory and his single tie to Hilsboro. He felt a deep and resounding resentment for the cursed thief, with her green skin and black pony tail. He tasted bile and instead focused on what was happening around him.

A face leaned over him, with long black hair and dirty skin. For a moment he feared it was the thief, but recognized it as the bard in the inn. But this person was a man, not a woman. He looked up at the person's face in silent confusion, wondering how he mistook her--his--gender. It must've been the person who asked if he was alright.

Another voice came from the mouth of the alley, which, now that the moon had emerged from the clouds, was rather short. It seemed miles long earlier, and he couldn't quite explain this either.
"What happened here," Aleron heard Gen say. The man's presence, though he had just met him a few minutes earlier, comforted Aleron and he twisted to try and get up. His head throbbed continuously and he noticed bloody scrapes and bruises along his arms. He'd fallen on a small pile of lose bricks from his magical barrage just prior. He tries to hold his footing but stepped on a brick and lost his balance, falling once again. He knew he must've been a pitiful sight.

JackieCat

When she was sure she was safe for the moment, Lorin turned off into an alleyway and leaned against the wall.  She untied the ring from the pouch and held it up.  She saw that it was a woman's ring, and as she looked she realized how sorry she actually felt.  She wondered why, she'd stolen rings in the past and had never felt this kind of guilt.  Maybe it was that the young man had been ignored by the bartender at the tavern, then she had had to knock him out.  She almost never used force, and that must have had something to do with it.

She sighed and retied the ring securely to the pouch.  Then she stepped out of the alley and started to walk down the street again.

She stole a few purses as she walked, unnoticed, and these thefts gave her no guilty feelings.  But even as she stole, the guilt of stealing the ring gnawed at her.  Finally, she couldn't take it any longer.  She walked up to a sewer grate in the street and untied the ring.  She crouched next to the grate and held the ring over it.  She knew she wouldn't be able to sell it, so discarding it would have to do.

She sat there for a whole minute, her hand poised over the grate, unmoving.  Then she sighed and stood up, she couldn't do it.

She knew what she had to do.  She turned around and started walking back the way she had come.  She would have to give the ring back. Not the money, just the ring.  She started to walk faster, and soon she was sprinting through the streets back towards the alleyway.  When she got to the bend she peeked around it, and saw three people there.  The young man who she had taken the ring from, another young man, and-!

The blind swordsman.  She gulped in fear and steeled herself.  Sure, she was scared of him, but she knew she had to give the ring back.

She stepped around the corner and into the alleyway.
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Wicked Basket

"You came back," Gen said without even turning around. "I trust you are here to return this young man's belongings."

Gen turned and faced the thief.

"Why so nervous? We can be civil about this. There's no need for things to get ugly as long as you take responsibility for your actions."

JackieCat

Lorin could feel her heart pounding in her chest, and her hands were shaking.  "Y-yes, you're right. But-but if I give it back to him you have to promise not to hurt me.  And you have to let me leave here."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Wicked Basket

"You must give all of it back," Gen told her. "If you do, then you have my word that you will leave here unharmed. There's no reason to make this more complicated than what is necessary."

JackieCat

Lorin swallowed. "I didn't come back to give back everything," she said nervously, for even as she said it she wondered why she didn't, just give it all back and get out of there, but she continued. "I came back to give him the ring, not the coins.  I could have not come back at all, then he wouldn't have anything, but I did.  So I'll give him the ring and get out of here.  That's my deal.  Please take it, I hate to fight."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Wicked Basket

"If you seek peace, then you will return everything," Gen replied calmly. "You came back, yes, but now you must take responsibility for your actions. You will return the ring and the coins. I may be blind, but believe me when I tell you that you will be unable to escape me."

JackieCat

"I'm sorry, I really am," Lorin said, shaking her head, her eyes wide. "But I've had a bad week, nothing I've stolen has had anything of value, even the purses." She was on the brink of tears. "I haven't eaten a good meal in more than a week.  If I give you the coins I'll have nothing, I need them," she wasn't lying, she could feel the pang of hunger in her stomach, and the purses she had just stolen had had only a copper coin or two, not nearly enough for anything substantial.

Lorin had taken the coins out of the purse and put the ring into it.  She had put the coins in another pouch and she now took the pouch off of her belt that held just the ring. "It's in here."  Her voice almost cracked.  She tossed the purse on the ground in front of Gen.

Her heart was pounding madly, and she turned around and started to walk away.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Wicked Basket

"Halt," Gen commanded sternly.

Gen checked the bag.

"The money too. You must return everything. Don't worry about going hungry, I will buy you any meal of your choice from the inn."

Aleron

Aleron stirred on the ground beside Gen and the lute player, but he was not waking up. He had been conscious the whole time--it was merely a fall, after all. He listened in intently to the conversation, quietly assessing the situation. Empathy filled his heart for the thief, and as much as he wanted to hate her, his humble village roots got the best of him.
"No," he said. He stood up, brushing off the gravel and wincing. "Keep the money. All I need is the ring. But, if you are to keep the money, there is one thing I would like to know. Why?"

JackieCat

Lorin stopped, and she felt tears running down her face. "I need the money-!" She let out an involuntary sob.  Then she sank to the street, sobbing uncontrollably.  It wasn't just the situation she was in this moment, it was her whole life, she couldn't keep the emotions in anymore, like she had for the past twelve years.  She hadn't cried since she had left the workhouse where her parents had left her when she was born.  She had been six when she left.

The weight of her whole life crashed down onto her now.  The path she had taken was a hard one.  It was stressful, physically trying, and difficult.  Some days, she loved being a thief, the freedom, the adventure.  Other days, when she was starving and cold, she wondered why she hadn't chosen an honest profession.  She really was only a thief for the adventure, and these men were being so kind to her, despite what she did.  Now, as she sobbed on the street, she regretted her decision to become a thief.

She tried to say something more, but she couldn't.  Unable to stop she sobbed quietly, her face in her hands, sitting on the dirty street.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Wicked Basket

Gen approached the young elf and knelt down in front of her.

"I'm getting the feeling that you're not just another petty thief," he said placing a hand on her shoulder. "I've experienced my fair share of hardship. The money belongs to the boy. If he says you may keep it, then you may keep it. However, I still wouldn't mind treating you to dinner. Well, if you wouldn't be embarrassed being seen with a blind man."

Gen gave the elf a warm smile. She had only been trying to eat. All of this trouble for a single meal. Gen knew all too well about such things. He could help her. Even if he were to never see her again after this day, he could help her now.

JackieCat

Lorin looked up at Gen's face, taking deep, shaking breaths.  She shook her head at his question of her being embarrassed to be seen with him. "N-never, I would never be embarrassed." She took a few more breaths. "Thank you," she looked to Aleron. "Thank you as well."

She shakily got to her feet and looked at the ground. "I'm sorry," she lifted her gaze to Aleron's face. "I'm sorry I stole from you."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Aleron

"Don't worry about it," Aleron said. He couldn't help see his own loneliness reflected in every part of the girl's face. Every bit of her anguish was a representation of his life since his father had died.
"I do have an offer," he said. He looked around; from the lute player, who had stumbled across him first; to Gen, who had helped him and defended him though they were only acquaintances; and finally, to the girl, who cared so much for her next meal. Wasn't that why Aleron had wanted his money back so much? He got the ring back, so that was good, but food. Sometimes the need for survival could turn even the most docile, innocent souls cold and heartless. But this girl had a heart. She'd returned his ring to him on her own initiative.
"I plan on going to Arca and making a future for myself. I know I have little money, but I'm really good with magic and maybe could make a small fortune on the way. But I can't do it alone. If you all are willing to come with me on an adventure, I'd happily welcome you with equal splits of any winnings. I just don't know how yet."
He thought back to that morning, on how his mother had been slaughtered by the horrible beast from the mountains. He thought of the villagers, who did not do anything. They were scared. They only wanted to survive, and it made them heartless. Hatred filled him towards the creatures, and he realized how he--or they, if they wanted in--would make their fortunes.
"We could kill monsters for pay. I bet the world's ripe with them."

Wicked Basket

"A tempting offer," Gen told Aleron. "However, I'm not a killer. I fight competitively. Any bloodshed I cause is accidental."

Gen looked around at everyone.

"Now who's hungry?"

Aleron

"I am," Aleron said with a playful grin. He had always been one to avoid sadness. To him, pity or remorse or any other negative emotions always were short lived. He naturally had a happy disposition.
"But let's not go to that one inn down the street. Innkeeper over there is as rude as a badger. Unless, I mean, that is the place you had in mind. Anyhow, sounds like a deal."
Aleron looked at the thief. But something inside him refrained from calling her a thief any longer. And, he didn't know who the lute player was either. It would only be fit to ask them.
"I've never asked. What're your names?"

thehiddenbeast13

Inigo looked at Aleron and said,"My name is Inigo..." He then looked at the thief from earlier and walked over to her. He pressed something into her hand and said,"Since you don't have any coins, I think it's only fitting that I give some to you...I can always do a bit of begging or thievery of my own to get 'em back." Inigo smiled and said,"I could go for a meal..."

JackieCat

Lorin wiped her eyes, sniffing. "My name is Lorin, Lorin Silverith.  And a meal would be great." She looked to Aleron. "About your offer about killing monsters for pay, I don't like fighting, but perhaps we could tweak your idea to fit both of us.  Either way, I'll have to think about it."

Her eyes widened as Inigo gave her some coins.  She smiled at him, but shook her head. "I can't take these.  Not now."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Wicked Basket

"I am Gen," Gen said. "Now then, where shall we eat?"

By the looks of it, he would be feeding all of them, but the didn't mind in the least. He was pretty wealthy in his own right. He had money to spare. Besides, this was important.