Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Delivery Disrupted

Started by TreeFolk, April 12, 2015, 11:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreeFolk

Her ears were positively itchy from the vibrations from the magic. This was some serious magic, magic she wasn't familiar with! She couldn't quite remember why she was going to fetch this magic or whatever the magic was protecting, but the curiosity to uncover it was tantalizing. Not a lot else was going through her head, what with seeing black dots crossing her vision, as she headed across the dance floor.

The feel of his arm around her caught her attention, which made her realize she had caught the attention of a few others. For the second time during the night. Or the third? She couldn't remember, but she absolutely hated it. She pressed the back of her palm against her forehead, feeling clammy and disoriented. Rather loudly, she proclaimed, "Darling, I think I will take fresh air. I am feeling faint." Was it a good enough excuse for her to exit through the doors leading towards the magic? She was unsure, and decided that in this moment Trest was most likely the best one to make judgment calls.

visualspice

Trest nodded.
"A dapper idea, my darling," he agreed, and ushered her out hastily onto a nearby balcony that had a sweeping set of steps that lead down to the terrace before the gardens, but Trest could care little for those details as he side and loosened the collar of his cravat.

"So.. what's up? You were looking like a hound after a fox back there. You sensin' somethin'?"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

TreeFolk

Kieta looked out into the night, narrowing her eyes though having decent night sight. Down the stairs and out in the garden, she could barely make out a disturbance. Something was somehow being obscured from her view. Shoving her hair back behind her ears, she tilted her head in the direction to better feel the vibrations of magic. Dark, shrieking, peeling, magic.

Trest's question brought her attention back around, "Something not right..." She made for the steps, but her legs were still not working quite right. Gripping tightly onto the railing, she slowly began to try and make her descent.

visualspice

Seeing her this drunk was cringe worthy.
"Hold on there, princess," he went on, quick to her side and hooked arms with her. "Take it one step at a time." And as he made sure he had her steady, he went on to ask, "What is it you see? You're obviously seeing something. What is it?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

TreeFolk

Glaring at him, but having to look back at the steps to keep herself from totally making an ass out of herself, she replied mirthlessly. "Ha,Ha. I know you're making fun."

"Dark, creeping magic. Can't see it, I feel it." She tapped her fingers against the tips of her ears, swerving a bit more into him with the effort.

"Don't worry, little flower, I'll make sure you can see mine, as well as feel it." Gannon stood further up the stairs, but was making his way down. "Seems like I didn't put enough into your drink. Tougher than I thought, I'll grant you that." He pulled out his sword as he swaggered down the stairs confidently. "Now, my fellow gentleman, you must understand I cannot have you absconding away with something that is mine. I invested a good deal of money on this one today, so you'll have to go scavenge somewhere else."

visualspice

Trest groaned and gave the man a soured look.
"Yeah... We kind of don't have time for that, so find someone else to bother. Can't you see we're busy?"

TreeFolk

Kieta hiccuped and pivoted on her heel, glaring up at Gannon. With her arm still linked in Trest's, she stretched her hand out towards the garden, summoning one of the vines up towards her to wrap around her arm. "I will get this.."

But she didn't have the opportunity to do anything with her slow motor function, because Gannon had a look of shock and disgust on his face. "Guards!" He bellowed, reaching for the door and ripping it open. "We have a mage out here!"

While Kieta wasn't quite sure what any of that meant, she did have the feeling that they didn't want to be visible when the guards came. "I think..." Oh, she felt like she was going to wretch as they began running, her head spinning. "I think I can get us to the not-place."

Stumbling along, being supported and leading Trest, she closed her eyes and let her ears lead her towards the humming... There was a slight resistance in the air, like running through water, and suddenly they were in a dark, cold banquet room. The entire structure was made of marble, the only sound the echoes of their own breathing and movements. Her head felt clearer, but the place made her ears hurt. At least they had escaped the guards.

visualspice

Thankful for the reprieve, Trest used the moment to catch his breath. Blue eyes surveyed the area before he gave a grunted sigh.

"This looks like a summer banquet hall." And his sigh that followed echoed. He slowly turned to Kieta as he studied her and rested a hand upon her shoulder.
"Look, I know it might be hard for you to think right now, but the thing we're searching for... you think.. you think it might be here?"

And he paused and added with a bit of a flinch when he heard the guards calls echoing in the garden they had just left behind.
"I think they went this way!"

"They might be hiding in the banquet hall!"

"Be on your guard men, and send word we'll need a mordecai!"

Trest kept his eyes glued to Kieta.
"Well?"
The longer it took her, the riskier staying here got. And Trest didn't exactly want to be skinned alive for association with a mage- innocent (or not.)

TreeFolk

Kieta closed her eyes tightly, a furrow creasing between her brow as the vibrations of magic reverberated about the banquet hall. The marble of the room was making it hard to pinpoint the exact location, so she withdrew from Trest and began to take big, drunken steps in all directions, hands cupped around her ears. As she took a big step away from the door to the banquet hall, the awful, screeching vibrations picked up in pitch. Green eyes opening up quickly, she took a sharp inhale of breath and took another step in the direction. She rushed forward and then lost the sound again. Backtracking, much like a hound tracking the scent of a wily fox, she stopped and tested the floor.

Dropping to her knees, she crawled forward on her knees and then pressed her ear hard on the ground. "Under this room. There are under-rooms. Cave hallways, too." She straightened up, looking around the room and then at Trest. "You know human places. You get me to the under-rooms, I'll get you to the screechy-thing." Elaborating to make herself clear, "Gotta be what the Bull wants. Only magic about."

visualspice

"Under rooms?" Sounded like underarms, both being unpleasant. He sighed through his nose and looked around, beginning to sweat.
"There might be a way down below but we'd have to look from within."
That meant back at the party...
And he wasn't entirely sure that was a good idea.

He heard the voices. The men were coming closer.
Too close. They had to get away- or hide.

He grabbed her hand.
"Come one, and keep quiet, alright?" And he moved to drag Kieta along, and ducked behind the shadows of a tall statue of kings from long past.

TreeFolk

Kieta shrugged at him, "Whatever you call them." When he suggested they might have to go back to the party, she inwardly cringed. How was that supposed to work out? It wasn't as if they had been inconspicuous in the last few minutes, and they certainly weren't shapeshifters.

"How...?" Was all she could make out before he was pulling her along behind the statues of the kings. Her heart was hammering in her throat, and if she had felt the effects of the drugged drink before, now all that remained was a terrible headache from the screeching of the magic. With her free hand she covered one of her ears, trying to muffle the sound of it, her other hand clasped tightly in Trest's hand.

The booted feet of several men entered the banquet hall, one ordering. "Check around in here. Better check the entrance to the catacombs, too." The sound of a man grunting was interrupted by the same voice. "No, you idiot! It's behind the other tapestry! How long have you been working here??"

Kieta angled her face to look up at Trest, one eyebrow quirking up in silent inquiry. That must be the entrance to the 'under-rooms' she had heard.

visualspice

Trest motioned to her to keep quiet. He took the moment to peer out from behind the statues, watching as the men looked behind the tapestries. It left the door unprotected, and the guards far enough from it he thought he could make a run for it. He gestured to Kieta.

"Follow me," he whispered. "And keep quiet- and be quick."
He took her then by the hand, and walked as quickly, and quietly, as he could towards the door. Somehow they managed, slipping outside into the moonlight and he ran with her, pulling her into the garden's maze.

He hung close, however, peering over to see if the men were still checking out the banquet room.

"Let's stay here- see what they'll do... then when the coast is clear, we head back inside and check out those catacombs."

TreeFolk

If he wanted her to be quiet and quick, at least to her standards, he should have let her go it alone. He was actually quite loud to her ears, but thankfully all of the guards were decisively human. She peered out of the maze at the entrance to the room, though her ears told her that they were still milling about in there. In fact, she could have told him that they were investigating the stop where they had been just now. Their escape had been well timed. Still, she felt she needed to check with her eyes. The screeching sound of the magical object definitely interfered with her hearing.

That was the problem with her ears. They could pick up the vibrations of magic and sound, but sometimes it occurred to an extent that her normal hearing was overridden. Trying to hear Trest over the much louder screeching vibrations of magic was a test of concentration for her.

She watched as they, after what seemed like an eternity, came out of the entrance, but tugged on Trest's hand to make sure he stayed put. "There's one more." Another minute or two passed before the guard emerged and headed towards the stables with the rest of the guard. 

They silently made their way back to the hall, ducking inside. Once inside, she headed to the tapestry and pulled it to the side. And frowned. A heavy lock rested on the door. "Master thief?" She looked to Trest expectantly.

visualspice

Trest side and reached into his breast pocket.
"You owe me for this." But what, he wasn't entirely sure. They were stuck on this for the long haul, and as he pulled out a tool and fiddled with the lock, he gave a smirk when it fell open with a shallow, echoing click. He lifted off the lock and pocketed it. It was heavy, but he'd rather not have someone lock them inside in case this was a bad idea. So far, he seemed to have a lot of bad ideas!

Gesturing forward, he gave a nod.
"After you milady."

TreeFolk

What he meant by his comment, or whether he was simply saying anything to fill the momentary lull in excitement, she didn't know. She watched him make easy work of the padlock, and while pocketing it seemed smart so that they wouldn't get locked it, it also meant that anybody who checked this door would see that they had gone into it. Not as if they'd have been able to lock it behind them anyways, but they could have used it as show to distract individuals at first glance.

A cold stream of air came up the stairwell, accompanied by a musty smell and the piercing vibrations of the magical object pinging up the enclosed space. Looking back at Trest, she rolled her eyes. "How considerate of you." Kieta ducked her head to make her way into the stairwell, the top just barely scraping the top of her head as she made her descent. She extended out both hands to trail down the walls of the hallway to balance herself, the stairs narrow and steep even for her small feet.

Once they hit the landing a stream of lamps along the walls lighted up down a long corridor. The vibrations of magic were now accompanied by a low peeling ringing. Kieta felt a warm wetness at her ears, and touching her fingertips to one ear she withdrew to find blood. Cringing, she began to walk towards the sound and vibrations which seemed to block out any other incoming noise.

visualspice

Trest had been too distracted as he followed her to notice the blood at first, that was, until he watched her pause and saw her hand.
"Hey- woah wait-!" He moved to grab her hand. "Are you injured?"

TreeFolk

Kieta let him stop her, explaining, "Not really... Magic gives off vibrations, sound that these," she tapped her unusual ears, "pick up a bit too well." She cringed when the vibrations got worse intermittently, almost as if the object was spinning and hitting different corners to produce different sounds. "Whatever the object is, it's got a terrible screechy magic."

She gave him a cringing smile, shoulders flinching as another wave of the higher pitch vibrations swelled in her ears. There wasn't a whole lot to be done on the matter, because she needed her ears to be able to track the object... Though it was getting increasingly hard to not just clap her hands over her ears to protect them. She rubbed her ears a bit. "It's hard to focus on anything else, so you might be sure to keep on alert for anything else that might pop up."

visualspice

As Trest held her, she found himself frowning.
"I can't even imagine," he gave her a slight smile, but worry still consumed his face. "Are you sure you'll be alright? I mean... won't these ... vibrations get worse? Heck, I'd be worried of going deaf if I were you."
But at her comment to keep alert of all else, he simply nodded.
"That... I can at least do." He looked her over. "You sure you're okay to go on?"
Itd be hard to go back from here.

TreeFolk

To be honest, Kieta wasn't sure if she would go deaf or not but they didn't have much choice in the matter. If she wanted this collar off, if she wanted to be free again, she would have to find this object. A grim look of determination settled on her features, and she gave him a tight-lipped smile and nodded. "I'm sure I'll be fine."

As they neared the object they hit a magical wall. It was human magic, and Kieta was able to weaken it enough for them to continue on though it was like walking through syrup. Muscles straining, they reached the end of the hallway and doors. Kieta was trembling like a leaf, pale and nauseous from the strength of the vibrations. Placing her hands above the locks, she turned to Trest. "Can you pick the lock? I'll work on dismantling the spell."

visualspice

"Gods... whatever magic's here I'll be glad to be away from it," Trest grumbled. It felt almost as if they were walking through water. But then at her query, he turned to the lock and nodded.
"I guess that sounds fair," he went on, trying to sound playful but in all honesty, he was getting stressed.

He shuffled through his equipment, and manage to easily pick this one, which made him smile.
"That was easy." He looked over at Kieta. "So how's that spelling coming along?" He was definitely sounding in better spirits now.