Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

How NOT to Train Your Dragon (Sil)

Started by Zero, April 21, 2015, 09:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

"All hatchlings are good at doing what they should not." Tatsu mused as he stared down into his bowl, brows furrowed slightly. It was disturbing to know that there was a venomous plant growing in the forests where the Moonelf children should have been free to play without fear. Perhaps he would have to look into that when it was safe to take Eälis home. At the very least he could study the plant to try to determine the type of toxin.

"Using magic when you are not fully prepared to control that magic is irresponsible. That is why we will remain away from people until your control has improved." He had no fear for himself, only for others, and Eälis most of all.

SilmeriaElemred

''I agree.'' Eälis replied. It was basicly why she had excluded herself from her people and mainly others too for as far as she could.

''Usually, in basicly most cases they stop right away when an accident happened. It is not until then most realise how dangerous raw magic can be. One was amusing though. He had the ability to communicate with wolves. Some of my kin have Dire wolves as compagions. But somehow his magic was taming them as well and he was followed by 5 litters.'' she smiled and chuckled at the memory before she resumed eating her food.

''Do you have good or fun memories?'' she was sure he had. Hopefully.

Zero

Tatsu was picking at his food, despite how good it might be, it was hard to focus on eating given the present conversation. He did smile faintly at the idea of several litters of dire wolf puppies following someone about. "I fear most of my good memories have become bittersweet, if you can imagine. They are still good memories, but they only serve to remind one of all that is lost. It is painful to remember."

Not nearly as painful as it could be, Tatsu knew that he had never experienced the loss or grief full force. The death of his mate had muted everything. Like the emotion had been partially stolen, but only because he was too numb to actually feel it. Time had not healed that wound.

SilmeriaElemred

''I'm sorry'' Eális replied. ''I should have refrained from asking..'' She had finished her bowl and cursed something to herself inside her head as she set it aside to clean later. ''Perhaps... we could make some good ones. Doing some fun stuff if time allows us.'' she suggested. Wether it was a good suggestion or not was something she would find out sooner or later.

Zero

"We are going to be in close proximity to one another for an extended period of time, Miss Eälis. These types of questions are going to come up. Do not apologize for your curiosity. Although I hope I do not sorely disappoint you when it comes to the idea of making fun memories. I am not sure that I am all that fun of an individual." Tatsu wasn't sure he even knew how to have fun in any way that another being might also perceive as fun. Pursuing all texts and gaining hidden knowledge - those were fun things to him. Finding and handling relics - that was fun to him. He wondered what his student would consider fun or not fun.

SilmeriaElemred

''I like a challenge.''Eälis replied with a smile. ''And there are many ways to have fun. From making music till playing with water. Even visiting a play. Blowing bubbles is fun too. Or something as simple as skipping through the streets on squares drawn on the pavement with chalk.'' she had picked up a few things from children in cities and villages she crossed.

Zero

Well the theatre was a good suggestion. Tatsu could certainly appreciate a finely scripted play, an elegantly performed ballet, or a masterfully orchestrated opera. However he arched a brow at her. "Could you really imagine a dragon skipping or blowing bubbles?"

That seemed somewhat comical of a notion to him!

SilmeriaElemred

''Why the heck not'' Eälis replied softly. ''I read a story about a monk with the ability to control air. He had a troubling student with the same magic who just could not sit still. The student, had to learn for if he did not, learning how to control his magic would only get harder. So the old monk, baked pies and placed them on a railing. He let his student blow away the pies on the other grand monks heads. Learned the kid to use his magic to fly short distances and change storms. Because of playing the young monk later became an elder and mastered his magic unlike anybody before. And still joked around with pies. His master enjoyed it when he was old. And he did too.'' she got on her feet and inhaled deeply before exhaling calmly. Spreaded her arms and created some joyfully illusions. Birds, Rabbits, butterflies which all created a smile on her face. They were all incomplete though. Morel ike luminescent lines.

''Not that I am the one to say those words but... everyone imprisons their own mind in some way. We sometimes just need to let it all go even if it is just for a second. Rolling down a hill or dive in a lake and see the miracles below the water.''

Zero

Tatsu listened attentively to her tale, but appeared otherwise unmoved by the story. His pale eyes did follow the merry movements of the illusions she made. When Eälis spoke again the dragon's eyes moved back to her face, studying her features for a few moments before he returned his attention to his bowl, which he had still not finished eating.

"Dragons do not 'let it all go' as you put it." The words weren't spoken harshly, but he turned his attention back to eating slowly.

SilmeriaElemred

''Nobody really does. It is just set aside very briefly. Or at the very back of our heads'' Eälis said softly before returning to the fire. The illusions had faded. ''But on that moment far away enough to experience a little of fun which we do not allow herself to have usually. What I did, with my magic. I will never forget. But in order to learn it will not happen again, I need to put it aside as much as I can.''

After Tatsu had finished his bowl Eälis cleaned the bowls and the cutlery that had been used. The pans were partly dug in after they had cooled down fully so they would not spoil. Not that the contends would though, two more servings and that would be it.

Regarding the cutting waste, she planted them a little further ahead so it would grow into new plants. From her bag however when she was done, she took a flute. Well. Sort of. It seemed she was still working on making it.

Zero

It wasn't as if Tatsu restricted himself from things he found enjoyable or took pleasure in, but the idea of 'letting go' or having 'fun' seemed strange and wrong. Even the things he enjoyed weren't really viewed as truly 'fun' in his mind. Even before the death of his mate Tatsu had not been considered a jovial creature - happy and content - but not jolly.

He finished his food without another word, not voicing any protest to Eälis cleaning up the meal herself. Instead Tatsu leaned back against the tree, sitting in a relaxed position as his eyes partially closed and took on a faraway look as he sank into his deeper thoughts. It wasn't until she pulled out the unfinished flute that he spoke again.

"Do you play?" He inquired quietly, without looking at her or his expression unchanging.

SilmeriaElemred

''Sometimes.'' Eälis admitted. ''I'm more a string instrument person though but I can not exactly bring a harp or piano with me.'' she said calmly. ''Music soothes me ever since I was a little kid. From song to instrument. It made me fall asleep easier too.'' Carefully, since the tools were a bit sharp she punctured some more holes that determined the notes.

''But I sell most of the flutes I make.''

Zero

Tatsu remained quietly contemplative for a few moments, it was unnatural how still he could be, but finally he slowly blinked his eyes. "Many find music to be soothing. Music is a language for the soul. My people loved music. We used to sing, songs like you could not comprehend. I would enjoy it very much if you would play for me sometime. Do you sing?"

SilmeriaElemred

''I do as a matter of fact.'' Ealis said. For whatever reason though her cheeks were a bit red. Embarresment or nervosity maybe?

''Most of my kin love music too. Many of our prayers are in song too. But my voice is not really anything special. I enjoy it though. Expressing feelings through music.'' She paused briefly. ''I.. would like to hear you too.''

Zero

"I fear any song I tried to sing would be a sad song indeed." Tatsu sighed softly, shifting ever so slightly so that he was looking at Eälis. "I find your voice pleasant in conversation, and I am sure that your singing would be just as pleasant to listen to."

For a moment he hesitated, then closed his eyes, concentrating as he drew up his own magic. At first nothing changed, but slowly sound would grow around them. It was almost too soft to hear at first, but it strengthened into soft rumbling, almost like a symphony of nature. Dozens of voices entered the chorus, humming and rumbling, soft and inhuman. If one listened closely they would be able to tell that there were words being spoken - in a flowing, dead language that none could remember, save him.

"We sang such songs." Tatsu opened his eyes again as the music faded once more, there was a heaviness to his voice, a pang of longing and loss echoed in his words.

SilmeriaElemred

''That was beautiful'' Eälis said softly. She figured though she'd have to sing as well. She had truth be told never been really confident about her singingvoice but regardless she sang a song as well.

She sang it softly and maybe she did not hit all the notes properly. But still it was a song she loved very much.

Zero

Beautiful. And haunting. Tatsu closed his eyes as she began to sing, not only listening to her voice, but feeling the song reverberate through him. Perhaps she was not a professional singer, but he did not think that her singing was at all bad. Indeed, he enjoyed it very much.

"I do not know that song." He murmured softly. "It was lovely, and you sang it well."

SilmeriaElemred

Still with slightly colored cheeks, Eälis thanked him for his words. ''It is an old lullaby I once came across in a book of songs. It had washed ashore but magic kept it safe for some reason. Took me ages to translate it by guessing what the markings were but there were also some writings in common tongue.''

She worked a minute more on the flute until realising she was actually very, very tired. ''I should get some sleep I think. I should be fit for training again tomorrow.'' she said and exhaled calmly.

Zero

Tatsu mulled over what Eälis told him of this song book she had found. He had never heard of it, but even he had not seen every book to bee found. Although perhaps one day he might meet that fantastic goal.

For now he looked at his pupil intently for a moment before nodding. "Yes, you should rest now. We will work more in the morning."

SilmeriaElemred

Eälis nodded and packed away most of her stuff. A habit, really in case something would happen.

''Sweet dreams Tatsu.'' she said with a tired smile after laying down on her bedroll. ''And you too mother... father...'' she yawned silently and used her arm as a pillow. She fell asleep within a minute. Her body had been simply exhausted from the bit of energy training she had done and Eälis hoped she would do better tomorrow. It was just that her body remembering the painful feeling of being without energy was a huge hindrance. Something she really had to fight and win against if she wanted to progress.

She however slept without nightmares and awoke at dawn when the fire had reduced itself to nothing but charcoal and morningfrost had frozen the dew on the grass, moss and leaves.