Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

How NOT to Train Your Dragon (Sil)

Started by Zero, April 21, 2015, 09:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Tatsu leaned back against his tree, eyes half-lidded and with a faraway quality as he watched his companion settle for the night. Eälis was soon asleep and once she was, the dragon allowed his mind to enter a deep meditative state, expanding his consciousness first beyond his body, and slowly extending himself farther and farther.

He was able to touch the minds of those he knew very far away, letting his presence ripple across their dreams. It was a very useful way to deliver messages, especially to Nellie, his adopted daughter. It still seemed strange that she was a grown woman. Mortals lived such short lives, he would blink and she'd be gone. The thought pained him.

Everyone was always gone.

It wasn't until the moon elf began to awaken that Tatsu brought his mind back to his body. His eyes slowly opened to peer at her passively. Training would begin after breakfast, he mused over his pupil for several moments before turning his head to the forest. "Good morning, Eälis. I hope you did not get too cold."

Perhaps he should have tended the fire.

SilmeriaElemred

''I am alright.'' Eälis assured.''I am used to cold. Even like it.'' She streched herself a little and rubbed her eyes. Have you rested well?'' She got on her feet and gathered water so she could brew some tea.

She hummed cheerfully and actually had a really good feeling about today.

With ease she used the charcoal and wood to make a new fire. Breakfast would basicly be last nights leftovers.

Zero

"I prefer to be warm, but I rested well enough." Perhaps Tatsu had not slept truly, but it had still been a restful night for him. His meditations were very relaxing while also being useful.

Pale eyes watched Eälis as she gathered water and restarted the fire. Tatsu did not move from his resting position against the tree. He wondered if his young student would find some offense to his passivity. After all, he made neither a move nor an offer to aid in any of her morning preparations.

"Let me know when you are ready to begin, but relax and enjoy your breakfast. There is no rush to begin." He closed his eyes again.

SilmeriaElemred

''Understood.'' Eälis replied. She made enough simple herbal tea for a few servings, and reheated a portion of last nights dinner for her to eat as breakfast.

She did not rush, but was not exactly slow either. And within the hour Eälis had eaten, done the dishes and refreshed herself. Binding her hair so it would not be in the way. ''Alright. I'm ready.'' she said and closed her eyes briefly to focus.

Maybe she was to harsh on herself. But today, regardless of physical pain or not she would have to get going.

Zero

Tatsu remained pensive and quiet as Eälis went about her morning routines of eating and cleaning up, though occasionally his pale eyes would wander over to her, watching her movements with guarded thoughts.

Training began almost immediately where it had left off the evening before. He gently pushed the young elf to her limits before backing off and showing a great deal of concern when Eälis even hinted at pain or distress - he had no desire to harm her.

"How do you feel? Please ask to stop when it becomes too much. I do not want you harming yourself because you wish to master something too quickly."

SilmeriaElemred

''I'm alright I promise.'' Eälis assured. Yes of course it hurt when her body feared she would run out of energy but every time she received energy and let it go again it hurt less and less.

Still. Having pain over and over again was exhausting. A thin sheet of sweat was on her body. It was difficult but she seemed to grow accustomed to both receiving energy and releasing it.

She did however, several hours later say she had to stop. Feeling her body started to protest and she was not wrong. She trembled but had not worked herself to so much exhaustion that she could no longer stand. This, was her training limit. No nosebleeds. Not feeling dizzy. Enough physical power to remain standing.

Zero

Tatsu remained focused on the lesson, concentrating on the ebb and flow of energy to ease his troubles over knowing that his pupil was feeling pain and discomfort throughout the entire training session. He hated the idea that he was bringing any amount of harm to her all in the name of teaching her better control.

Especially when it was obvious that the hours of magic cycling didn't phase him hardly at all while Eälis finished their lesson covered in sweat and trembling.

Pulling his energy back, Tatsu let his pale eyes roam over Eälis with concern, trying to judge how much he had exhausted her. "We are finished for the day. You will relax and rest until morning." It wasn't a suggestion.

SilmeriaElemred

''Understood.'' Eälis replied and sat down against a tree. She felt exhausted to say the least. At the least she had no nosebleeds and the like but it felt good to sit down for a while.

--

Days of intense training passed and Eälis did get better. She lasted longer with the energy she had and her limits had actually greatly expanded. Enough to eventually move further.

The weather was cold as the winds had changed two weeks after the start of the training. Grey and dark clouds having covered the sun, moon and starlight for over four days. Despite having gotten stronger, the training did have some toll on her body on occasion. It should be somewhere in the afternoon right now but it was hard to tell. The ongoing darkness resulted in Eälis having to rely on her Star Tear jewels to replenish her actual life energy. Not knowing how much longer this weather would stay she could not just use them either. She had to use them with caution.

Taking flight above the clouds was a possibility as well but it was still hard to judge how her body would react. When those markings appeared on her skin and her hair had become white had actually quite frightened her back then.

It was dry now but that did not last long as cold rain and hail finally started to pour from the heavens with threatning loud thunderclaps and lightning.

Zero

Training progressed well over the past weeks camped there just inside the forest. Tatsu would have been content to remain there for several weeks more if the weather didn't turn foul. At first they ignored the cold front as best they could, but the overcast, dark skies put the dragon on edge as he knew that Eälis needed the moonlight to remain strong and healthy.

He should have known better than to delay moving on. It had been a small hope that the winds would shift again and bring better weather. Instead it broke with a massive thunderstorm.

Rain and hail could beat against him all it liked, the lightening did not deter him either. It was his student that caused Tatsu to break their camp and seek sturdier shelter. Eälis had made good progress with her training, and he was willing to risk town if it meant that she would be warm and dry. He wouldn't risk causing her to become sick because of further exposure to the storm.

"We cannot fly in this weather." Tatsu wasn't going to chance getting her struck by lightening. He could probably take such a blow, but he doubted she could.

SilmeriaElemred

''I need to agree on that part... above the clouds is most likely not a good idea for me. I do not think I can redirect lightning. Is there not a village nearby?'' Eälis asked.

The amount of rain and hail would soon enough drench her clothes and many supplies she had.

''I do not mind a cave either but even during forraging I have not found any''

Zero

"There is a small one, close enough." If he could fly here there, it would take no time at all, but he had waited too long and now Eälis had to suffer the consequences.

Well, at least some of them.

Tatsu focused his magic and projected a shield against the storm, it was not a large barrier, but the rain, hail, and wind were shut out in a small circle around them. He could not maintain it forever, but it protected his pupil for now.

Everything was packed up and divided between the two of them, although Tatsu obviously insisted on bearing the heavier burden over any protests.

Fighting the mud and the storm intermittently - Tatsu had to drop the shield to rest more than once - the journey to the small town took far longer than he would have liked. The pair were sodden by the time they'd made the two hour trek. Thankfully there was a small, quaint inn in the town, which he lead her to and ushered her inside before him.

The innkeeper was a plump, older woman with grey hair and a grandmotherly air about her. She took one look at Eälis before giving a soft gasp and hurrying over. "Oh look at you, poor dear. Soaked to the bone and probably half frozen! What would you be doing out in such a storm?"

A rumble of thunder almost shook the small establishment as if to emphasis the point. Tatsu bowed to her slightly, voice contrite as he addressed her. "It is my fault the young lady and myself were caught out in such poor weather. We would like accommodations, Madam, if that is not too much to ask?"

The woman tsked, eyeing him up for a moment before nodding. "We're a small place, but I've got a room available for you, but you both go sit by the fire and let me fetch you something hot to put in your bellies before you go catching your deaths."

"You are too kind, Madam." Tatsu murmured softly before heading for the table closest to the hearth, which had a very inviting fire blazing in it.

SilmeriaElemred

''Thank you.'' Eälis replied calmly but trembling to the innkeeper. She looked around a bit, eyeing the wooden walls, worn rugs on the floor, the tables and chairs. The atmosphere was warm in this place and another loud thunder woke Eälis up from her trail of thoughts. She was drenched and cold.

The weather had been far from kind. The rain made her cloak cold and heavy. The fire was a welcoming gift but wouldn't do much good to her now. She removed the cloakpin and hang the cloak to dry. Her boots were next, placing them not far from the hearth and the Moonelf sat down near the fire. She trembled from the cold and despite that, she still smiled. The flames entracing her slightly before looking at Tatsu. ''No need to blame it all on yourself you know.'' Eälis said calm and warm as always. ''Weather like this is still a part of nature.'' she smiled still and walked to Tatsu barefooted. ''Shouldn't you rid yourself of some drenched clothing too?'' she asked as she sat down beside him.

Before Tatsu could answer though the woman returned and placed two bowls on the table with a piping hot meal. ''It is stew with root vegetables. Normally I'd put some good pork or beef in it but I am all out.''

''Thank you so much.'' Eälis said gratefull. The warm liquid was surely a feast now despite it's simplicity.

Zero

Tatsu watched Eälis from the corner of his eye as she removed her cloak and boots. His cool blue eyes were near constantly following her. It had been so since the day they had met. She had saved him, and he had taken her into his care as a student.

The way she trembled bothered him greatly, he wished that he could warm her in an instant, but letting the fire slowly seep into them both was the best that he could really do.

"I should have brought you here sooner." If they had not waited they would never have needed to walk through the storm. He could have flown them close to the village and saved so much trouble for them both. There was a soft sadness to his voice and the way he looked at her held deep guilt. It would be his fault if she grew sick.

Eälis was his responsibility.

Tatsu made no comment about his soaked clothing, but that was only in part to the reappearance of their keeper. "Thank you, Madam. My companion does not eat meat, so this will be perfect."

The woman looked between them and frowned softly as she watched Tatsu begin to eat slowly. She was more looking to Eälis. "This is a small place I have here, and I only have the one room to give out. Hope that's not too much of a problem."

SilmeriaElemred

''Not at all.'' Eälis assured. ''We are both already very gratefull for the food and room.'' she started to eat as well and she allowed the stew to warm her body. She hoped that Tatsu would feel less guilty though when they were finished eating. She had been in weather like this before but now, she was not alone. Which was probably the reason why she was so high spirited still.

The woman looked at Eälis a bit longer. ''You are by far one of the most polite guests I ever had.'' she said and finally dared to show a smile herself. ''You both.'' her gaze went to Tatsu next and sighed. ''This weather might hold for a couple of days so considder it well whether you want to resume your travels or wait a few days. I shall prepare the room for you both. In backroom I have a fire going to heat water for a bath. You both look like you could use that.'' the innkeeper headed up the stairs.

The elf finished the stew rather quickly. Walking through the weather had been taxing on her body of sorts and the food was more then welcome. ''Tatsu, as for your opinium of that you should've brought me here sooner... remember I have travelled alone for a while. This weather included. I'll be fine and hopefully you too. We just take this opportunity to rest well and recharge.'' she winked and it seemed her smile could not be wiped off her face either.

Beneath that smile though, was however a slight concern. A few days of bad weather. Meaning the moments that the sun and moon were out she would have to make sure to take those moments. But with Tatsu's teachings, hopefully she wouldn't be so depenant on the crystals as much like she was now.

Zero

Tatsu nodded his agreement with Eälis' gratitude for even a single room to shelter them. They had been camping out in the forest without so much as a tent for weeks, including bathing in the cool streams around their training grounds. Sharing a room was better than nothing at all.

The compliment on their manners earned a slight bow of his head and a slight smile, although his expression turned a little more serious at the news of the weather remaining bad for several days. It had already been horribly overcast and poor weather for days, and he knew that Eälis needed the skies to clear so she could absorb her energy from the sun and moon.

He sighed softly at her attempts to reassure him when she had finished with her meal. Tatsu was eating much more slowly, but he did not eat great amounts to begin with. "We will rest until the weather breaks, and there will be no further training until it does. I will not expend your energy when you have no easy means of replenishing it. If you begin to feel weak, take any energy you can from me. I will gladly spare it for you."

SilmeriaElemred

''Understood. I will be careful myself too.'' Eälis assured. She was perhaps a little bit disappointed that they needed to put a pause on the training but she knew all to well it was for her own good. Taking another's energy though, it was not an easy thing to do. ''I fortunatly do still have crystals left so if I do not use them unless I have to, I should be ok.''

She was glad that she brought so many of them. The moonelf walked towards one of the windows. The lights provided by the houses in the village were small and barely visible due to the heavy rain, and she needed the lightning to see the contours of them. ''It looks like a sweet small village. Perhaps a good chance to restock on herbs as well, or get myself some cloth so I can make a new bag.'' by the looks of it a pair of new shoes would not be amiss either. Since they were mainly made out of fabric, they did not last long in weather like this.

The innkeeper returned as well. ''I lit some candles in the room and made the beds. The bath should be warm enough as well. Would you like to go in first miss? You shouldn't go to bed still wet from the cold rain. Especially with those cold wet tresses of yours. There are spare clothes as well for you both, since your bags seemed soaked t..'' the woman stopped talking, seeing Eälis'  smile. ''Something wrong dear?''

''Oh no not at all.'' Eälis assured. ''Your kindness reminds me of home.'' Eälis bowed deeply. ''I am really glad to have met you.''

The woman chuckled and shook her head. ''Through that door and warm yourself up already. Can't have you getting sick right?''

Eälis nodded and headed to the other room where she looked around first too. Against the wall was a low stone construct where a fire was lit. Above it was a wooden tub of sorts. She couldn't help but think that it was some kind of wooden cookingpot but it looked welcoming for sure. She saw the clothing resting on a wooden bench with some towels next to them and wondered whose they were before getting the cold wet clothes off her body and hang them somewhere to dry before getting in the bath.
--

The innkeeper took two glasses and a flask containing strong spirits and dat down across Tatsu, pouring herself a glass. ''A sweet young lady you are traveling with. You both have probably come from far correct?'' she asked kindly and gestured to the flask and other glass, which Tatsu could take if he wanted.

Zero

Tatsu didn't feel disappointment in putting a hold on training. Eälis had been working very hard and improving at a satisfactory pace. Taking a break, and giving them both time to rest in a comfortable environment like the inn was something of a well-earned reward. If the storm hadn't rolled in they would eventually have ended up in a place like this anyway.

He spared a glance and a smile for the innkeeper as she returned to inform them about the room and the bath. It was good to have someone else chiding his student to take care of herself for a change.

Eälis pushed herself too hard, in his opinion.

Tatsu wasn't expecting the woman to actually sit down with him. Least of all with an offer of alcohol, but he reached for the glass and poured himself a small amount at the invitation.

"Eälis is a very charming young woman." He agreed with her. "We have been camping some hours from the village, but when the storm came there was inadequate shelter for my companion. I worried for her health if we did not find somewhere warm and dry to rest and weather the storm."

SilmeriaElemred

''Eälis huh? Quite the unusual name.'' she finished her first glass and poured her second. ''Must be nice being so young. Normally I can not tell with elves but she does not have the firmness in her eyes people usually have who have been around longer. As for the weather. If she warms up and dries herself off properly other then some sore muscles she should be just fine. You too hopefully. The physician of this town is not that far off though would the need arise.'' she smiled as she spoke before looking firm at Tatsu though. ''Do look after yourself and your companion better next time health wise. And with that I really mean both of you. If something happens resulting in you being sick it will be tough on her too.''

Zero

"You would find me quite resilient against common ailments, and I believe Eälis to be a capable healer." Tatsu rarely, if ever, became ill. Injuries were the more prevalent issue, and she had saved him from those dragon hunters. If they could even be called that. "I assure you that I will take great care with her safety and health, if it makes you feel better."

He could not stop his eyes from flickering back in the direction that she had disappeared shortly before. Unlike the innkeeper, Tatsu nursed his drink slowly and when he set the empty glass down he did not refill it.

"If it is not too much trouble, I think I would like to put our things in our room while I wait for my turn in the bath." Tatsu murmured politely as he rose from his seat and gathered their things.

SilmeriaElemred

''Of course.'' the woman said as she got on her feet as well. She directed Tatsu to the second floor and opened the door for him revealing a small cozy room. Candles were lit, giving a warm orange light. The shadows dancing by their unstable flames. The rain hit against the window and despite the curtain was closed, it did reveal the light of the lightning through the clouds.

A small table with two stools, a cabinet and small wardrope were at one side of the room and there were two beds against one another with a small nightstand on each side. ''I hope it suits you and your lady. If not well there is not much else I can offer unless you like to lay in the hay.''