Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

How NOT to Train Your Dragon (Sil)

Started by Zero, April 21, 2015, 09:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Tatsu didn't bother correcting the way the innkeeper referred to Eälis. She was his student, not his lady, but it didn't seem an important detail for the moment.

"I have no objections to sleeping in hay if that is the only hospitality that my host had to give I would still be grateful to them. This will be more than comfortable for us, thank you." It was a fine room. The beds could easily be pushed apart if necessary, but he was not going to complain to have a soft place to rest his head tonight.

He placed their belongings in a pile on the other side of the room. Eälis could go through them when she got out of the bath, if she liked. There was nothing Tatsu needed for now save his own turn to wash then probably bed.

SilmeriaElemred

Eälis in the meantime had washed herself with some soap and had was now doing nothing more other then sitting in the water, thinking. The past few days there had been little to no moon or sunlight. At the least she still had some charged crystals but she hoped, would she draw energy from Tatsu, that it was a proper substitute. She found herself a little scared for the possibility that it wasn't, even though he seemed to draw energy from the moon as well when they had flown. Would that be an option maybe? If the clouds were at ease that he could bring her above them?

She shook her head and splashed her face with water before going out. Truth be told, she had already noticed the fysical fatigue the lack of the proper light had caused her. Feeling more tired, which she compensated and hid by being more cheerful. Not that she wasn't happy seeing another face of course but she did have to be more careful then usual. For all she knew this weather would hold for longer then just a couple more days.

After drying off she took the clothing the innkeeper had left her to get dressed. It was wide, comfortable cotten and linnen and not exactly her size but Eälis wasn't picky. When she left the bathing area she saw the woman bwhind the bar, putting away the flask of alcohol. But Tatsu wasn't here. ''Second floor, last door on the left my dear. Your partner is already upstairs. Did you enjoy the bath?'' she said with a smile.

''Partner? We're not...'' she paused a moment and smiled. ''Yes the bath was good. The cold has left my bones and I feel much better. Thank you.'' she said and headed up the stairs to the shared room. She knocked before entering the room.

Zero

Tatsu had simply settled onto one of the stools after the innkeeper had left, allowing his mind to wander, almost mesmerized by the dancing firelight the candles cast on the walls. The flicker of the brighter light from lightning only added to the soothing patterns.

He was weary and worried. When was he not?

The knock drew his attention, eyes turning to the door as Eälis came in. Her borrowed clothing was ill-fitting, but it was dry and hopefully comfortable. They had been extraordinarily fortunate to find such a kindly host for them.

"How do you feel?" He asked softly. The bath had probably helped tremendously. A real, hot bath was always something to improve one's mood. It wasn't the bath he was worried about.

Eälis was frail to him, and he knew she tried to hide her troubles from him.

SilmeriaElemred

''I am okay for now.'' Eälis replied. ''I do miss the moon and sunlight a bit but I can last for a couple more days. If things get to bad for me and receiving your energy does not work, I still have some startear crystals left to provide me with the energy I need.'' She sat down on the edge of the bed. It felt soft after having slept on rock, moss and soil for so long.

''The bath did me good though. I might go for a stroll tomorrow if there are some gaps in the clouds. I apolagise for this inconvenience though.''

Zero

"We will seek out better weather if the storm does not break in a few days." Tatsu would not wait too long this time. It could not be storming everywhere. Perhaps he would take her to Essyrn. There were rarely clouds to inhibit the light in that desert oasis. His only worry being the culture.

"Your health and safety are not an inconvenience, Eälis." He chided her gently.

Sighing softly Tatsu rose from his stool and studied her where she sat on the bed, remembering the way the innkeeper had called her his lady. A strange assumption, in his mind. "Shall I push the beds apart for you before I go bathe? If you sleep before I return I would not wish to wake you unintentionally."

SilmeriaElemred

''I do not mind them next to one another, but sure.'' Eälis repleid and got on her feet. She wished she could say she wouldn't fall asleep before he returned but it was something she could not promise. Her body felt tired and needed all the rest she could get. The bed though was probably to heavy for her to even lift so she moved the nightstand instead.

Zero

"Neither do I, but for the sake of propriety, it is for the best." Tatsu did not care if the beds were together. They had camped out in the open together and bathed in each other's presence. Having beds that were pushed together did not seem like an issue.

"The innkeeper referred to you as my lady." He admitted as he easily pulled one bed along the floor, putting just a foot of space between the mattresses. Just enough that they were not appearing to share a double bed, really. "I fear having the beds together would only further encourage the wrong impression."

Satisfied with the beds, Tatsu turned to her with a soft frown. "Rest. I will try not to wake you when I return."

SilmeriaElemred

Eälis chuckled. '' Your lady?'' she paused, giving Tatsu a warm smile. '' I suppose I can not blame her for thinking such. For now though I'd say, enjoy your bath. The water was good. These spare clothes are a bit wide for my but since I lack any better at the moment it is fine. There is a set for you too and space to hang your own clithes to dry.'' she sat down on the edge of the bed again.  ''Would I fall asleep, see you tomorrow. ''

Zero

"It is presumptuous." Tatsu simply shrugged. Just because a man and woman traveled alone together did not mean that they were more than companions. It hardly mattered either way. People could think what they would. They usually did whether you wished them to or not.

"A most gracious host we have found. Sleep well, Eälis." He murmured softly before turning to leave. It felt good to strip out of his soggy clothes, although he could have used magic to dry them. Overusing magic was not only lazy, but draining, and he'd already exhausted himself shielding them as much as he could during the trip through the storm.

Tatsu did not linger overlong in the hot water. It felt good, but he wished far more to go back upstairs and rest than to soak in the tub. He cleaned himself then got out. The clothes left for him did not fit well, but they were serviceable and dry.

As promised, he entered the room quietly so not to disturb her should she already be sleeping peacefully.

SilmeriaElemred

Eälis indeed had not managed to remain awake. Despite not having been asleep long she was compleyely curled up like a cat.  Her long hair like a pool of black silk. The candle on her night stand was blown iut as well, the smell lingering in the room.

She did seem peaceful enough, despite looking paler then usual. Her hair shone less as well. Even waking up for her seemed different than when the sun still shone as she woke up after being restless for an hour. The storm however had passed. It was cloudy and the feel in the air was still sonewhat static. But the clouds were thinner and lighter and unlike the few days before it ws possibke to see the blurred sun behind the blanket of clouds.

Zero

Being sure to remain quiet, Tatsu carefully draped another blanket over the sleeping elf to make sure she would remain nice and warm through the night. That done he stretched out on his stomach in his own bed and closed his eyes. Sleep was almost immediate and very peaceful.

It was not a night for his mind wandering meditations.

Eälis would wake to find that for once, Tatsu remained fast asleep. An oddity since his typical nightly routine meant that once she opened her eyes so did he. Instead his eyes remained closed and his breathing the deep, even breaths of heavy sleep.

SilmeriaElemred

'Maybe he exhausted himself too' Eälis thought to herself and got out of bed, almost losing balance when doing so. To prevent herself from falling, she knelt down for a moment before getting up again and walked quietly to the window, opening the curtain slightly. There was not mych choice, she knew.

After walking to her bag she got one crystal out and held it in the palm of her hand, clising her fingers around it. When opening them again, the crystal gad turned dull. '' Seven left." she whispered as a mental note. When standing up again she noticed her body felt a bit better.

Her gaze went to Tatsu and couldnt help but smile. He deserved his test too. After thinking for a moment she got the wet things from ger bag and hang them over a stool to dry before heading out of the room. Hoping to retrieve her own clothes.

Downstairs there were a few patrons eating their breakfast. ''Mary-Ann, scrambled eggs and toast please " one of them called. It seemed like a happy bunch.

A minute or so later, the innkeeper brought some plates of food around and noticed the moonelf at the bottem of the stairs. "Ahh Eälis dear. Good morning." she greeted.

It resulted in various patrons to look in Eälis ' direction followed by surprised gazes.

"Oi Mary-Ann. Did not know you were hiding such a beauty in your attic." one called and gestured Eälis to sit down but the elf refused.

"Your cloak is still soaked my dear but the clothes from you and your companion are as good as dry. I hope you slept well. "

"I did thank you." Eälis replied.

"Good. Give me a moment child, I will get them for you."

Zero

While he was normally quite aware of her movements, Tatsu remained sleeping as she left the room, obviously feeling mostly safe and secure in this tiny little village with the very kindly innkeeper. There did not seem to be any danger in truly resting and he took advantage of it.

Tatsu did not go into a full sleep very often. Every few weeks, perhaps. Less if he was not taxing himself with extensive magic as he had been. Barring disruption, he would likely sleep much of the morning away.

SilmeriaElemred

Mary-Ann, after serving a few more patrons, gave Eälis a bundle of clothing, with a pair of shoes above which Eälis regocnised as her own. ''There you go. What can I make for you and your man.''

Eälis took the clothing and smiled with a hint of a blush. ''Tatsu and I are not a couple. We travel together. He is my friend and teacher.'' she replied.

The innkeeper laughed. ''Oh my my bad.'' she gave Eälis a smile. ''The question remains though. I understood last night you eat no meat.''

''Correct.'' the moonelf replied and pondered. ''Tatsu tends not to eat much but I think a small basket of bread with butter and honey will be just fine if you have it.

Mary-Ann nodded. ''Very well. I will get to that then.''

Eälis thanked the woman before going upstairs ignoring the disappointed calls of a few patrons.
Despite she was happy Mary-Ann had given a set of clothes to use for the time being, the moonelf was happy that her own clothes were as good as dry. As quietly as she had left, Eälis entered the room again and smiled at Tatsu still sleeping. Placing his clothes on the table she started to undress and put her own clothes back on. Her shoes last. Despite the clouds, maybe there was a bit of light she could pick up. She took her two bracelets out of her bag, her necklace and a decorative comb. All crystals in them were already empty so the worst that could happen. She considered briefly to take one of her daggers from her bag but decided not to. She did put a belt around her waist and bound her coinpouch on it.

It was not often she saw Tatsu slepeing like this hence she did not wake him up. Instead, she left a note on the table saying that would he not find her in the inn, she would be walking around outside a bit, not intenting to take long.

Downstairs, she ate some bread Mary-Ann provided and told her Tatsu was still sleeping and he probably needed a bit longer which the Innkeeper found no problem at all. The patrons by then had already left to attend their local work in this village with the exception of three who probably rented a room here as well.

Outside it was a bit cold but the moonelf did not mind. It still smelled like refreshing rain and sure the threats of an upcoming downpour was still there but that did not stop her from walking around. She did have a goal though; buying fabric for replacement clothes or at least material to make new shoes.