Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fragile Things like Butterfly Wings

Started by Draconian, July 29, 2015, 12:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconian

[ Tag for @visualspice !  ]

It was a nice day.

The sun was high in the sky and Medina gave a content sigh, dropping the backpack she'd carried with some nibbles in it because she knew she'd get hungry. It had been a little over five months since that night and Medina didn't dwell on it. The only reason she thought of it at all was because, well, she was pregnant. Obviously so, now. The dress didn't hide the belly she had and Medina had even taken to wearing a wedding ring to keep people from giving her dirty looks. A solider, she'd tell them, she wasn't sure where he was, all her letters were being sent back!

They would give her pitying looks, a few would pat her hand, and they'd be off. The poor foolish girl was duped by a solider and she was going to have her baby alone, poor thing.

Medina stretched up with a sigh and sat against a tree that lined the spring. Various things came out of the backpack, a journal, a book about a brave Adelan Knight and his Connlaothian noblewoman, and a sandwich. The sandwich was balanced on her belly while she reclined against the tree and Medina spent the afternoon reading her book and having her snack. Before long, the sandwich was gone and Medina was nodding off.

What a sight she was.

Her legs were tucked off to the side, her book was resting on her pregnant belly and she was curled up between the roots of the tree, her hand propping up her head. Her long dark hair a curtain around her shoulders in loose waves. The journal was resting at her hip, open to the most recent page she'd written in. A journal she'd been writing to her child in.

The sounds of the water had lulled her into the peaceful afternoon nap she craved, though, quickly enough, it was dusk and she still wasn't awake.

visualspice

Though the scars were fading, they would be permanent, leaving garish marks across his face. But they served as a reminder and most boasted it as his strength. A scarred man... a scarred land he ruled...
It only added to what struggle he fought with everyday. And though his wife tried to comfort him, and they bedded many times...
It seemed another child wasn't meant to be. And it made the Grand Duke restless. Sure, he wasn't the best father figure, rarely seeing his daughter except when she was in his wife's arms. But he was a busy man, and priorities needed to be on an heir, not a political piece, that he could only pray to Ansgar wouldn't die like his first born son.

And though he was distant from that time in his life...
It left a deeper scar in him than he could have imagined, and it felt even more so like his life was spiraling out of his control. And just as it was those several months ago, he needed that fresh air, he needed to be alone.

And in doing so, found himself escaping to the one place he had thought he had long forgot. And soon found his eyes upon a figure he too, had hoped he forgot. BUt things.... had changed, and unfortunately so, as he hung back to the shadows and watched the dark haired woman's form against the spring.

It was a strangely serene vision, but it made something buzz within his blood. But yet.. he couldn't bring himself to move from the shadows where he hid beneath a canopy of trees. Eventually, when his eyes could look away, he took a look at this place during the day time, trying to piece it together to how things had been that night...

But his eyes were drawn back to her, and the way she laid near the water....
And the way her belly swelled. And again, he felt something grip at his heart.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Draconian

Unease had her awake before her eyes were open and Medina simply laid where she was curled up in that awkward way with her had gone numb and waited. Slowly she opened her eye and looked around, closing the book resting on her pregnant belly and the journal she'd been writing it. Pushing her hair over her shoulder she froze when a figure caught her eye.

A hand flew to her stomach protectively as she tensed visibly.

There was someone there.

Except.

An odd awkward little smile was on her face and she fluffed out her dress in some small effort to conceal her pregnancy. It wouldn't work, though she still tried. "Hi, Stranger." Medina said simply, nervous. Afraid. "You didn't steal anything on the way out," she teased, trying to ease her own tension, "I appreciate that."

visualspice

His frown tightened as his eyes moved from her face to her belly.
And he didn't miss the ring.
"It would be a shame to rob a woman, and one who is to become a mother. I suppose your husband will be along soon?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Draconian

A confused look, husband?

Medina looked at her hand and gave a dry laugh. Of all people she could be truthful with him, right? "It's fake." She said gently, "no one looks kindly on an unwed pregnant woman. It's easier to lie and say he's a soldier."  Steady breaths and she looked around quickly, he deserved to know, right?

"They'd probably want me drawn and quartered if they knew the truth," Medina said softy and looked to her stranger, tilting her head. Nervously she played with the ends of her hair.

visualspice

It was blunt- and he was.. not expecting that. Then again, as he looked the woman over, he hadnt' expected that night they shared together either.

"So it's mine?" Might as well be blunt back.

Draconian

Gently her hand pressed over her stomach, giving it a small smile. Initially she wanted to snap at him, 'No, it's mine', but she refrained and again gave him a hesitant smile.

"You helped a little," was her comment, "though, it's not like I didn't enjoy the help." 

It was weird to think there was a baby in there. A little her. A little human being and she was struck again by how amazing it was - even though she was tired and hungry all the time. "I... I don't want anything from you."

visualspice

He could not believe this. It was a nightmare, or worse. Those he knew well, but this?
"Did I ask about that?" his tone was cold as he looked her over. "How do you even know it's mine? Whose to say I even met a woman like you ever in my life? No... I'll tAke my leave first." And he turned to leave.

Draconian

Shocked.

Medina just stared at him for a long moment, her hands over her stomach. "I... You're the only person I've had sex with in years. I remember your scars... And your voice." A careful breath and she sighed and pulled her hair over her shoulders, taking a few steps towards her stranger. "It's mine. You just helped me put it in there."

And now. Now it was time to go home, the sun was going down and Medina carefully bent over for her bag, throwing her books into it. At least she got her nap. At least now she knew where she stood with her stranger. Her child was hers. There was no interest from him and what would probably destroy another woman only gave her comfort. "Have a nice walk, Stranger!" Medina called after his retreating form before she too, left the picturesque little spring.

visualspice

Good. This was how it should be, and as he turned to observe her form disappearing into the woods, he wondered why it felt like he slapped his own face. But recalling her answer, it burned at his mind like acid and after a frustrated moment of confusion, he turned around and found himself stalking after her.

Draconian

At the sound of footsteps behind her Medina's heart picked up speed and she was afraid. It occurred to her that she didn't know this man and, perhaps, he didn't take well to a woman pregnant with his child. Of course she could run.

Medina's hand was pressed against her belly protectively when she turne around to frown at him. "You're supposed to be going the other way." Her voice was cool, her shoulders were back and she looked almost like she was issuing an order.

visualspice

"And I suppose that night you should have as well."

Draconian

Medina sighed and let her hands drop down. "I don't want to fight, Stranger. I just came here for a nap because it was peaceful." A simple shrug of her shoulders and she looked away. "It's done. This baby is mine and what happened months ago is simply a dream."

visualspice

"I did not come to fight. However, as much as I want to ignore it, the child is also mine."

Draconian

A heaved sigh and Medina pressed her had to her forehead. "And? So you helped put it in there." A shake of her head, "you can ignore it. I prefer you do. I don't know anything about you!" Medinas voice rose and she pressed her hand to her hip, "I don't even know your name."

visualspice

He clenched his jaw, knowing she was right. But what could he say to that? He wanted nothing more than what she wanted, but something compelled him to stay there, to look at her, really look at her as he felt his stomach twist into a knot.

"Perhaps it's best you never know.."
But if she were to look at him closely, now that it wasn't dark and the sun was only masked by the trees that fluttered over head from a cool breeze, she might notice the attire he was wearing-
and it was anything but peasant attire. In fact, he had quite a lot of emblems of the Grand Duke on him, though the only one that really might have shown was a clip on his cloak that kept his hood up to fight off the wind.

Draconian

Medina went from being perfectly content to not knowing who he was to... Being angry that he didn't just tell her. It was a quick movement, rushing over to him, giving his shoulder a shove and she took a breath to get ready to give him a piece of her mind.

It was the up and down glare that suddenly had the blood drain from her face and she quickly reached and whipped his hood off. Not that she recognized him still, but it explained why he was so familiar. The crest. The clothes. Quickly she took a few steps back and her hands flew to her face, "Oh God."

"Oh God, please no."

Another step back and she pressed a hand to her stomach.

"No... Not you. Please, God, Anyone but you."

A few disbelieving shakes of her head and she could simply stare at him, shock had her heart racing and she felt like she was going to throw up. Medina wanted to run, but instead she felt to her knees with her hands over her mouth. This was a disaster. She had to think. Quickly. "I won't tell. What happened between us was a mistake but... This is my child and... You don't need the burden."

visualspice

Frozen in place by her reaction, he felt his stomach drop when he reeled back at her reveal. But what did it matter now as she looked at him? But when she was finally piecing things together from his attire... He simply looked down at her on her knees with irritation.

'Burden or not... you'll be compensated.. for the child, and... Your cooperation in silence."

Draconian

"I don't want anything from you!"

Medina snarled, getting up to her feet and pressing a hand to her chest. Like perhaps maybe that could calm her heart, "I just... I want you to promise that it's mine." A few careful breaths, "even if it's a boy."

visualspice

It never occurred to him that gender was of any consequence, but the moment she said it, that look of realization was there.