Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Lioness and the Longknife

Started by Rhindeer, July 29, 2015, 09:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Yasmin didn't miss that gesture. Her eyes widened for a second as she registered it, then her face flushed, and she quickly cleared her throat and looked away. She adjusted herself, crossing her legs in what was supposed to be a casual move--but what was really just an excuse to shake Juras's hand off her leg.

"Soooo," she said, trying to fight back the wave of awkwardness--something she was so unused to and didn't quite know how to handle. This was all so weird and new to her. She'd only ever gotten this sort of attention from people who meant her harm. Punching people in the face was easy, social stuff less so, and there were so many walls and shields in place she didn't know how to let them down.

"What's going on outside?" she said. "Any news? It's hard to come by here, and you're a free man, after all."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

Juras got the hint, although he couldn't tell if it was her rejecting him just a little bit more or just contending with a bunch of confusing emotions. Regardless, he gave her some space , scooting back on her bed so that he was against the wall, with his legs stretched out.

"More of the same, really. The shah and all the wealthy nobles just strut about, doing their own thing and using everyone below them as a walking path. Volunteer gladiators have been running low, so I've heard that us remaining ones are more likely than ever to be put in lethal contests," Juras said.

"Heard the fight organizers are also looking to buy some kaadir."

Rhindeer

Yasmin shot him a surprised look. "You can say no to those, right? The lethal matches? I mean...you're a VOLUNTEER."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

Juras smirked a bit.

"Oh, I can say no. But saying no to the organizers tells them you're not willing to fight. Not only do I not get the money I need to pay for my food and the roof over my head, but it also means they're going to schedule me less for a long while afterwards."

He let out a deep sigh.

Rhindeer

"Oh."

Yeah, seemed she did have her share of misconceptions about the whole volunteer gladiator thing. Yasmin frowned, shaking her head. "Bloodthirsty jackals, the lot of 'em. Seriously, it's sick. How do they not realize how sick it is? I'll never get it."

And yet how often did she fantasize about putting a blade through a spectator's eye? Or one of the guards?

Far too often.

DaGlobster

"The worst part is, I think a lot of them do know how sick it is," Juras said, looking to her.

"I guess when you're up to your eyeballs in gold, it's hard to care about anything else."

Rhindeer

"I guess," Yasmin said with a shrug. "I've been dirt poor all my life, so I wouldn't know.".

She flopped over onto her belly and propped her chin on her hands. "I've heard rumors some slaves are looking to change all that."

DaGlobster

Juras sighed at that.

"It's gonna play hell on this city, if this turns into a full revolt, although..."

He looked to her, and smirked.

"I guess I could give being a freedom fighter a try, if anything goes down."

Rhindeer

"What? Really?" Yasmin gave him a startled look, blinking several times.

"You'd give up the pay? Take the risk?"

DaGlobster

"I mean, think of it this way. If the slaves rise up, I know for damn sure all of these gladiators, volunteer and otherwise, will be put against the slaves. Some for money, others just to save their lives."

He shrugged.

"When I say no to the slavemasters, they're gonna black me out of every arena event anyways, so why not take up something else? Maybe something that's worth a damn this time around..."

Rhindeer

"Huh." Yasmin eyed him for a moment, as though weighing something in her mind. After a long pause she shifted a look off to the side and scooted closer to him, then leaned in close to his ear, her breath warm on his skin.

"Then how would you feel if I told you I kinda helped orchestrate the whole thing?"

DaGlobster

"I'd say you've got your work cut out for you," Juras said, but he turned his head, leaving their lips a hair's breadth apart. He smiled.

"And that you have my swords."

Rhindeer

Really? So he was actually serious about this? Blinking in surprise, Yasmin straightened up a bit. "Really? You're not just pulling my leg? 'Cause I mean it's bloody dangerous and you know...you could die."

DaGlobster

At that, Juras laughed the kind of light, airy laugh that only an elf could pull off. Once again, his eyes did that downward flick, as if noticing how close they were.

"You're talking as if I became a gladiator in Essyrn thinking it'd be safe," Juras said.

"Besides, I've seen how the guards operate around here. They don't hold a candle to me."

Rhindeer

"Seen how they operate? Are you familiar with their rotations? Their schedules?" Yasmin asked, perking up with excitement and once again oblivious to his obvious flirting.

DaGlobster

"I'll have to actually come back to you on that, I don't know right off the top of my head," Juras said, and he tilted his head a bit. He let himself relax a bit more and he tilted backward onto his hands.

"I'll have it the next time we meet."

Rhindeer

"Yeah?"

Yasmin chewed her lip briefly, her nerves flaring up a bit. There were only a couple people she had shared this with, and what if...

"I can trust you with this, right? You're not gonna...do anything, right?"

DaGlobster

"Hells, no," Juras said plainly, giving his head a quick shake.

"Guys who run this place are a bunch of cheap sadists. I came here to be a better fighter, to compete in the greatest arena there is."

He sighed, and sat back up.

"Never really got along with the management. I'm actually in a little trouble of my own right now."

Rhindeer

Yasmin barked a laugh at that, sharp and harsh. "Greatest arena there is. Here? Pfffffft. Yeah right. It's just a giant murder pit, is all it is. Who fed you that pile of kaadir shit?"

His last statement, however, did catch her attention.

"What kinda trouble you in, if you don't mind my asking?"

DaGlobster

"All arenas are murder pits," Juras said, giving her a smirk.

"But this is the largest, the most well known murder pit on Le'Ranna! The tales go all the way to Adela about this place. Gladiators and merceneraries alike find their fortunes here."

He let out a snort.

"In a way, it's what I was looking for. In a lot of ways, though, it wasn't. I came here to prove myself to the greatest, I..."

He trailed off, and gave his head a gentle shake.

"I'm in hot water because I haven't been fighting enough. Mostly because I'm avoiding claiming the fights to the death, or fights against slaves. The slavemasters want volunteers that are bloodthirsty and blinded by money. I'm neither."

Tags: