Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Big Fight [open]

Started by SerJanustheGlassjaw, July 31, 2015, 04:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SerJanustheGlassjaw

OOC NOTE: This is kind of long - but it's meant to be the official "introduction" of my character into the "Spirits of the Earth" story. I don't intend for all my posts to be as long-winded, but I needed to set up some exposition so anyone seeing this before reading my character's back-story would kind of get Janus' "deal."

I'm open to absolutely any kind of interactivity you may introduce to this story. If you want to move it away from the starting location, feel free - if you want to kill an "NPC" that I created, go for it - but please be sure to leave character choices for whoever replies next to follow up on - character-presented decisions are the best! Mine will always be presented in bold at the end of my posts!

To read up on Ser Janus, check the thread, thanks!:   http://www.spiritsoftheearth.net/smf/index.php?topic=19353.0

Finally, enjoy! I look forward to role-playing with all of you!

"The Big Fight"

Janus Fairview, who would still like to think of himself as a knight meant to fight in the Civil War to the North, sits alone in an empty corner of a Moral Bros. circus tent. This tent is the same he has won many victories in during recent months. 4 weeks ago he became a prize-fighting champion without ever revealing his real name to anybody. Tonight, he defends the belt that brings him higher pay from the fight-promoter Tary Brookskin, a Serenian out to help his "Moral Bros." brand transcend Cerenis and coastal Serendipity.

"One day, I'm going to headline Reajh and the Grand Duke will seek my entertainment!" was all Janus needed to hear from Tary's thin lips to assure him that his time as a prize fighter in the Moral Bros. show was coming to an end. Janus could never travel to Connlaoth, much less the capital. He would become the witch in a witch hunt, and he wouldn't have that.

These thoughts seem to effect the once-strong willed man more than usual these days. In the back of his head, his inner-twin, the evil demon called The Who whispers to him...

"That strap of leather can't make you what you are..." The soft voice seemed louder than the voices that were entering the tent to prepare for the "Big Fight" show later that night.

Janus shook it off before opening a book filled with hand-written pages. Janus thumbs to the middle, closes his eyes, holds his face to the sky & recites a verse from the scribble below. Whomever he's reciting to is asked to relieve him of the "burden that is The Who," acknowledging that the demon is his penance for abandoning his family during the War for the Valley.

"Whattaya readin'?" The question presented by a portly crew member pierces Janus' concentration. Suddenly, the fighting tent seems all more real. Janus slaps the book closed, quickly. "Are those prayers?"

"No friend, they're pleas."

----

Janus stares blankly at his championship belt as he gets ready to make his way to the make-shift ring set up in the middle of the fighting tent. His promoter Tary Brookskin blabbers something about how he intends their next show to make them enough money to "really start touring." It becomes white noise to Janus as The Who attempts to get him to rip Tary's eyes out through his throat. Janus' inner-dialogue questions this but The Who feels he could find a way.

Suppressing these urges, Janus warns Tary to back away. Tary, confused, agrees to do so and backs off just as the ring-announcer introduces Janus, known in the Moral Bros. fighting circuit as "The Glassjaw," to the rabid crowd of on-lookers.

Janus chose the name "Glassjaw" for two reasons. The first reason is that he believes no respectable knight would refer to himself as "the Glassjaw," knowing the term means "a weakling." This is to hide in plain sight... Janus sincerely doesn't want to be recognized as the murderer of Connlaoth's King Darren IV. Darren was a good man, Janus' king. His friend. It was Darren that knighted Janus - a privilege he could no longer uphold during his self-exile to Serendipity.

The second reason Janus calls himself "Glassjaw" is to lull his nightly opponents into a sense of security. Someone with the nickname "Glassjaw" certainly couldn't hold up in a fight, very less be a highly accomplished Connlaothian Knight.

Janus entered the ring to loud applause, a stylized pig mask covering his face - revealing only his heavily bearded mouth. He held his belt nearly 7 feet in the air...

Just then, the circus tent began tearing on several different sides. The cause for these tears were the rogue blades of pirates who had apparently come ashore a few miles up the coast before singling out the Moral Bros. Big Fight show as a worthy target.

Janus was rushed from all sides by pirates of all sizes. Janus blinked his eye, and in a moment heard The Who whisper out a suggestion...

It burned. There was a bright light. Janus did that thing again. For a second he thought the onslaught had finished - but beyond the scattered limbs of the pirates he had just blown apart with extremely-demonic powers, Janus spotted what looked to be the Pirate Captain holding the Moral Bros. head promoter Tary Brookskin with a very sharp looking dagger to his throat.

"My name is Simon, I'm captain of those fellas you just roasted." Captain Simon yelled toward the ring, "I came here for some pocket cash and suddenly find myself eight men down. I came for gold, mister prize-fighter, but I ain't leaving until I take your head."

Janus, recovering from the evil powers he just omitted from his very being, staggers to get to his knees. One foot goes up. He's seeing double. Regardless as he looks up toward the entrance curtain, he realizes Brookskin, his only real link to earning money, is being held by knife point. A trickle of blood runs down Brookskin's neck as the blade ever so gently enters the top layer of skin. Surely this is just scare tactic to get in Janus' head?

As Pirate Captain 'Simon' holds Janus' promoter Taary Brookskin with a blade to the throat, will someone arrive to aid him - Or will Mr. Brookskin have a new smile crafted into his neck?

JackieCat

That didn't look good.  Lorin dashed for the tent as the pirates entered. 

The elf thief had been just walking the streets, picking pockets and just enjoying the day when she had seen the group of people.  They were obviously pirates, and she could only assume they were up to no good.  She had been right.  She had followed them out of curiosity and had seen them enter the tent.

She burst inside the large structure to see a man being held with a dagger to his throat as another stood by.  The pirate with his dagger to the other man's throat was obviously going to kill him.

A dagger flew through the air and embedded itself into the pirate's back.  Lorin readied another dagger, but it seemed as if the other pirates had already been killed, blown apart by some force.

The pirate fell to the ground and Lorin stepped forward, looking at the man who the pirate had been about to kill. "Are you okay?"
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

SerJanustheGlassjaw

Brookskin could only stammer on in awe. "G-g-get me the f*ck out of here!" He clawed toward Lorin's outfit for leverage as Janus staggered up the aisle - but she quickly stepped back and evaded his oily hands.

"He's not one for thank-you's." Janus was still regaining his breath.

The final onlookers attempting to flee the action were exiting the tent in a frenzy. Janus surveyed the scene. Searching the captain, he found a small journal tucked in the inner pocket of the dead pirate leader. Janus opened it, revealing names of many more pirates under Simon's command, telling the former knight that more pirates were likely inbound.

Janus then pulled his prize-fighting persona's pig-mask off, revealing uneven hair and hardened eyes to go along with the heavily dirty beard he sports.

"More coming. We should hide in plain sight, scatter with the crowd." He hoisted Tary up by the collar and set him on his feet, urging him to quit whimpering.

"I'm not sure of your name, stranger, but I'd sure appreciate some help out of this coastal town. I'm not from around here... and my big tent-shaped compass was just torn apart by pirates."

"Should we exit among the crowd or do you happen to know of a better plan?" Janus asked Lorin, eagerly.

JackieCat

"Well, if you really want to leave. . ." Lorin said. "With the crowd would be a good idea.  I know my way around this city, I think I'll be able to get you out quickly, or at least hidden., I know a few good hidey-holes where you can go.  But about all this stuff here, do you just want to leave it?" 
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

SerJanustheGlassjaw

"I'm sorry if my urgency didn't come across - but there are many more pirates heading in this direction and I imagine they'll be rather upset with me blowing their pals up and you daggering their captain to death." Janus had to stop to calm Tary down again.

"We need to head out - now!"

Outside the tent, the rowdy pirates were closing in...

JackieCat

Lorin grinned despite the impeding danger.  "Then let's go!  Stay close behind me and I'll lead you to a safe place!"

She waited for the men and then dashed off towards the crowd.  She made sure the men could follow her, but she waded into the throng of people, using her elven grace not to get trampled by the fleeing people.  Once outside of the tent she motioned to the two men.  "Follow me!"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

SerJanustheGlassjaw

"That's the spirit, sunshine," Janus smirked as he shoved Brookskin ahead of him.

Playing his best "unassuming citizen," Janus followed Lorin through the moving crowd of frightened spectators. Suddenly, Brookskin trips over his own left foof. "Kill that fat boy already," The Who whispered to Janus, "it'd be so satisfying."

Janus spots Lorin, who was gazing questionably at him. "She sees you... She sees me. she can tell..." The Who was unrelenting. Janus wondered if Lorin saw him unintentionally contemplating killing Brookskin.

Eventually the group came to a pass where they are able to see the remaining pirates siege the circus tent.

As they watched on as citizens were slaughtered in front of them, Janus, growing worried that The Who would get the best of him, asked Lorin, "Where are you taking us?"

JackieCat

"At the moment, nowhere," Lorin said as she saw the pirates starting to kill innocent citizens.  "Ican't just let those pirates kill those people!"

She drew her daggers and started back towards the killers.  She threw a dagger, killing a pirate.  As he went to get her dagger, she looked over her shoulder at the two men.  "Well?  Are you going to help me or not?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

SerJanustheGlassjaw

Janus looked on as his new-found companion made her apparent death wish known to him. As Lorin ran back toward the mass of pirates, Janus simply looked down at Brookskin.

"W-we have to get out of here!" Brookskin stammered. Janus couldn't help but agree - it was too much of a risk for him to fight. With the blink of an eye, he could murder anyone around him!

Janus saw Lorin tossing her daggers as if it were a hobby & though she was impressively trained, he decided it simply wasn't worth it. Janus couldn't picture any way out of this situation without mass casualties. He had to run.

Janus silently wished Lorin the best, grabbed Brookskin and turned away from the melee behind him...

Only to be met by a piercing arrow through his shoulder.

Reaching over to his shoulder blade, Janus could feel the smooth wood sticking out the other side of him. He looked up and saw more pirates flanking them from the direction he was planning to flee. Janus felt his blood trickle down his arm.

As he looked to his right, he saw Mr. Brookskin's cold body on the ground as arrows protruded from different areas of his chest & a thick red tint filled his shirt.

"Sorry 'bout that, Tary."

With Brookskin dead & an arrow  disabling one of his arms, Janus allowed himself to be backed up toward the tent by the oncoming threat. The pirates were closing in on him.

As Janus stumbled backwards, he bumped into Lorin who was doing the same.

Ser Janus & Lorin stand back-to-back next to the tattered circus tent as a crowd of pirates swarm them from all directions...

JackieCat

"Great," Lorin said as the pirates continued to surround them, most of the civilians had fled, so at least they were safe. "Now it's only us that'll be killed," she said to the man. "At least most of the people got away.  Ouch, your shoulder. . ."

Lorin readied her daggers.  She had retrieved them from the pirates bodies, but now there were more pirates than the two of them would be able to kill.

Lorin looked around frantically, then she saw it.  "Follow me!" she cried, and she made a dash for the center of the tent.  There was a tall pole holding up the tent there, and Lorin started to shimmy up it.  She looked down at the man and hoped he would be able to follow.  She was very strong and agile, and she hoped the man was as well.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

SerJanustheGlassjaw

"Does she expect us up there?" The Who taunted the large-framed Janus. Janus suddenly felt his right hand heat up. As he stared at it in wonderment, it became a giant fireball.  His flaming hand, an effect The Who grants Janus, effectively frightened the pirates at first. "He's a magic user!" He heard one shout.

"Nice idea, demon, but this trick won't last long." Janus wasn't sure what The Who was planning, "Pirates don't scare easily." As he was talking, he realized his flaming right hand had grabbed the giant tent pole Lorin had begun ascending. "Oh no," Janus whispered. He looked up and saw Lorin staring down, expecting them to follow. Her expression changed, however, when  she realized the pole she was climbing was burning down.

"Get down!" Janus yelled.

"Oh she's coming down..." the Who teased.

Suddenly, the entire tent came toppling down on top of Janus & the pirates all the same. Lorin is lost to Janus' sight in the falling tent.

As the tent hits the ground, it becomes engulfed with flames. Janus is able to walk through them thanks to the demon that resides in his soul.

Janus, worn out, walks away from the burning tent and sits on a bench facing it. As he watches on, he hears the screams of the burning pirates and feels immediate regret for the chaos he caused. Suddenly, he sees Lorin approaching him from the disaster.

Without knowing about the demon living within him, Janus expects Lorin to have perceived the events that just happened as an attempt on her life as opposed to a Who-devised defense against the pirates. He braces for conflict as she gets closer, unsure what to expect...

JackieCat

Lorin's eyes widened as she saw the man start to light the pole of fire.  It burned amazingly quickly, and she started to climb down, but it was to quick.  The pole burnt through and started to fall.  Lorin threw herself clear of the pole, and she landed in a pile of the fallen tent.  She lay there for a moment, groaning and trying to get her bearings.  She was bruised, but nothing was broken, as far as she could tell, and now the tent was in flames, and they were creeping towards her.

She got to her feet as fast as she could and looked around for the man.  Why would he do that?  After she was trying to help him?  His friend had died, did he blame her for that?  She finally spotted him.  The pirates were all dead or dying, and lorin was sorry, she hated death, even if those dying were cruel pirates.

Lorin got clear of the burning tent and then started for the man.  She wanted to know why he had done what he did, and hopefully he wouldn't kill her now.  All the same, she readied a few daggers in her hands.  His magic was strong, apparently, but she was quick, and there were many buildings nearby that she would be able to take cover behind if the man took any violent action.

"What did you do that for?" she called to him as she approached. "It wasn't my fault the pirates attacked!"

She stopped fifteen feet from him, watching him, ready to dodge any hostile action.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

SerJanustheGlassjaw

"I mean you no harm!" Janus yelled out to Lorin, though he felt the flames welling up in his palms were going to send her mixed signals. Within his mind, Janus plead, "Please don't do this. You recognized we needed to survive the pirate attack, don't blow my cover now!"

"I am the best of you, Janus Fairview." The Who spat, as arcs of fire spewed from Janus' hands toward Lorin. "I shall be realized!"

Bands of fire criss-crossed across the field. If the night hadn't been dressed in the scent of burnt flesh already, you might have even considered it a beautiful sight.

"We need to hide, Who! We need to get out of here," Janus realized his time spent in Cerenis was coming to a close. With a dead promoter and a tent in ashes, there was effectively no prize-fighting circuit left to speak of.

"The elf is our only guide! Our only hope..." Janus was tired.

The Who seemed to understand the notion. His attack had been quelled for the time being. After all, he had been resurrected in Janus' brother Ryon's body so many years ago for a purpose. The Who's bidding in Connlaoth had yet to be completed. If Janus were to leave Cerenis, The Who would be one step closer to the grounds he wishes to walk - though he knows Janus is exiled from the country to the North.

As the fire arcs hit the ground where Lorin had been standing, Janus alarmingly awaited to see how the dagger-wielding elven fighter had fared his attack...

JackieCat

Lorin dived out of the way, rolling to her feet.  Despite his attack, the man's demeanor was not one of an attacker, and he said he meant her no harm  She stepped back from him farther, but did not run.  He seemed to be having an internal struggle, so she decided to give him a chance.

"You just attacked me!" she shouted. "But you say you mean me no harm." She pointed a dagger at him.  "Explain.  Now.  Or I'm leaving and you won't see me again, and you won't be able to find me, with or without your magic, I know this town, all the nooks and crannys.  I can hide very well."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

massimo scaffaldi

Massimo sat out of sight, on a building overlooking the chaotic scene.  He had originally been there to eliminate some competition, but that seemed to have been taken care of for him already.  He didn't care what anyone said, competition was terrible for his business.  The lunatic knight had all but destroyed the men he was here to eliminate while providing an entertaining battle.  While he could have simply stopped the rampaging fire starter in his tracks, he took this opportunity to see what the man and the monster were capeable of.  This was certainly not the first time he had witnessed a person in this condition, and it wouldn't be the first he had eliminated were it to come to that.  This one in particular seemed like a potential asset, he would simply have to wait and see.

"Let's see how much you can take, maybe you just need a little push over the edge."

He gestured a few hand signals in the air and continued watching the mayhem below.

SerJanustheGlassjaw

"I didn't attack you... the... the Who did..." the sense of self-doubt in Janus' voice was likely to give away how mad he thought he sounded.

"Look, I have a condition. This thing... it lives in my mind and my soul. We can talk about it at whatever length you want later. For now, I think I have him appeased."

Janus waited, listening to something no one else could hear. "He's snoring," Janus exclaimed, "I'm in control now!"

While The Who's mental onslaught had seemed to take one of its temporary lapses, Janus was unsure if his less-than-convincing explanation would get through to the elf fighter.

Janus readied his long sword that sat warm in its scabbard, unsure as to what Lorin would do next...

JackieCat

Lorin narrowed her eyes.  "That's a pretty suspicious story, mister," she said.  She studied the man's face, he didn't seem to by lying, and Lorin knew of demons living within people.  After a few very long moments of scrutiny, she nodded.

"Okay I'll help you get out of here, who knows how many more pirates could come." Lorin frowned at the man. "But that doesn't mean I believe you, or trust you, at all." She looked over him again, this time her eyes were less accusing,but she still didn't sheath her daggers.  "I'm Lorin, Lorin Silverith, who are you?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

sophos

A few minutes earlier...

Audhilde had arrived late to the fighting circuit, but rationalized that it was for the best given the circumstances. And simply enjoyed the new show the pirates had put on. Until they began slaughtering the bystanders.

Where are the guards, or the fighters? She thought to herself, readying an arrow. Are those two the only ones who are going to confront these cutthroats? Referring to an Elf and a masked man.

Audhilde took a firm grip of her short bow, drew back the string and arrow, adjusted her aim slightly higher than a somewhat distant pirate, and loosed the arrow. Well above the pirate's head and into the masked man's shoulder.

"Oops," she said, turning to find her horse. "That's embarrassing, Prudence-- Prudence?"

Her horse had fled to the edge of the woods.

"Prudence, get over here," she continued, stomping her way to her horse. "I can still help, but I'm not showing up with the same arrows that are in that man's arm."

After a few moments of chasing her horse, the sound of crackling fire caught Audhilde's attention. The flaming tent fell, and Prudence reared before darting into the woods.

"Well, can't really help with-- Prudence!" Audhilde broke into a run after her horse. "Don't leave me here, you coward!"

SerJanustheGlassjaw

Janus thumbed the arrow still stuck in his shoulder, noticing horse hair hanging off it. Shrugging it off, literally, Janus replied to Lorin's question the best he could.

"I am Ser Ja-" Janus froze. Who's to say Lorin had never heard of Ser Janus of House Fairview, Knight in King Darren IV's Army of Connlaoth, the 'Hero of Sirantil Valley Valley.' Janus couldn't allow that. If one word of him living in Serendipity made its way back to the Valley, and the "Brothers of Sirantil" would be sure to use their network of trained killers to track him down and take his head in the night.

"Just call me Glassjaw." Janus spat, "I'm sorry - but it's all I can offer you."

Janus understood this probably came off sketchy to the elf.

"I understand this probably comes off sketchy to you ,elf," Janus yelled, redundantly, "But I swear to you, I mean you no harm. I just need to get out of here before any guards show up. They'll want to talk - and I can't be having that."

Janus' mind wandered - his gold! He had saved up enough from his championship reign that he should be able to at least bribe Lorin if he couldn't get her to trust him.

"I've got gold, plenty of it," Janus spoke up, "It's yours for safe passage off the Coast." The offer was on the table.

JackieCat

Lorin listened suspiciously. "I understand that you can't tell me your real name," she said. "But why can't you talk to the authorities?"

But he kept talking, he said he had money, and could pay her, and her lip curled. "I don't want your money, if I'm going to help you, it's going to be because I want to.  Now, follow me."

She started walking away towards an alleyway, completely alert in case he tried to attack.  If he wanted to follow, he could, if he didn't, that was fine with her.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Tags: