Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

What Makes A Pirate? [Roland, Tanglemane]

Started by massimo scaffaldi, August 02, 2015, 09:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophos

Roland was busy readjusting his grip on the handle of his axe and counting down from ten when the Sphinx addressed him with a riddle. He started back at ten.

I live in this world and to lack me is tragic, I break all the rules because I am ... Roland thoughts settled on the simplest answer.

As he locked eyes with Massimo, Roland drew a line from his own chin outward with two long fingers. As he turned back to the Sphinx, Roland unclenched his jaw in preparation to mouth a word.

Massimo smiled an evil grin at Roland's signal and pressed two fingers to his lips.  Roland then spoke in a deep commanding voice the word "Magic".

fancycat

Tanglemane giggled at Roland.  "Very good.  You're right!"  Still, she cast a suspicious look Massimo's way.  She wasn't fooled by that magic trick to give Roland a voice!  Still, it passed sphinxish standards of the game and she gave Roland a purr of approval.  "Alright.  For you, a bonus point as promised."  She turned and leaped into the air, spread wings and began to ascend as she headed towards the cliff.  High up on the cliff face she landed, then disappeared into another cave, one that the crabs would never ever be able to reach. 

Two minutes later she jumped from the cave mouth and fluttered down, eventually hovering before Roland with her wings outstretched.  Yes, such totally defies physics but she just dangled there as if by an invisible string.  She didn't land because she's clutching a gleaming feather between her front paws.  It looks like a shed sphinx feather of the grandest size.  "For you."  She paused for a moment and then added, "Sphinx feathers are easily enchanted.  You can turn it into a magical quill pen.  Gift for you!"

She then turned a skeptical gaze on Massimo, "Tis that your magical fog drifting in, sire?"

massimo scaffaldi

"Magic fog?  That is certainly not a bad idea.  I will have to look into that."

The fag bank was now a stone's throw from the shore and came to a halt roughly fifty meters out.  A cacophony of eager scallywags could clearly be heard as they rushed across metal braces and the screeching sound of pulleys being worked to their fullest ability.  Orders rang out barked by the intimidating quarter master signalling for the nets to be lowered into the water.  All emanated from a vacant bank of questionable mist.

"The fog is simply steam from our ship greeting the cool sea air, nothing magical about it really."

Massimo cupped his hands over his mouth and let out a ghastly howl that sunk hard into the belly and tore at the very souls of anyone that happened to be close enough to hear it.  Almost simultaneously, gargantuan tentacles lashed out over the sand and ensnared the hapless crabs living or dead.  They thrashed the giant crustaceans violently as they smashed them into any stone surfaces available.  Any stray pieces were grabbed and dragged out to sea into the fog vanishing into thin air.

"Perhaps you should warn your next passerby about these monsters, they're the real devourers here."

Ignoring the brutal beatdown before them, Massimo looked over to Roland and saw him fondling the feather he was gifted by their rare and kindly sphinx friend.

"Looks like you've got a reason to start your autobiography now.  You should probably call it "Five Thousand Ways to Smile and Wave"."

sophos

Roland handled and eyed the Sphinx feather intently. What am I supposed to do with this useless thing? His thoughts continued with an internalized sigh. Can I even write more than two words in an archaic language? I believe I recall studying two scores ago, but I only remember tying knots...

Roland broke from his thoughts at the sight of massive tentacles laying waste to the giant crabs. Unnecessary as always, those monsters, but if this means the crew doesn't have to waste their energy...

Roland was distracted again, this time by Massimo's suggestion. As Roland stepped away from a rain of sand and crab bits, he motioned his response to his employer: a series of rude and vulgar gestures.

fancycat

Tangemane looked rather pleased that Roland clearly liked that feather.  It was one of her better ones, don't you know?  At the eruption of the tentacles though, her fur bushed out and she sprang into the air ready to flutter away if those tentacles started to look like sphinx grabbing appendages.  For a moment she considered warning the two humans about them, but clearly they could see the things flailing.  They were responsible for their own safety now.

Down went her ears.  All this violence and still no gold to show for it!  And now a shower of crab bits?  Her hind paws touched the ground and then the front and she shook herself like a big dog to try and rid herself of crab splinters.  Life is tough.  Life is tougher when you don't have thumbs and it is raining shell.  She looked balefully at Massimo, "Tis the tentacle monster your making too, sire?"  Her right front paw got a good shaking, just like the housecat does after dipping it in the goldfish bowl.

But wait!  Something glittering was flung into the air by one of the crab smashers.  It arced gracefully toward Roland's head but the sphinx jumped and stretched out a big lion paw like it were a catchers mitt and swatted the coin out of the air.  Grrr!  Just a silver quadroon.  Her tail flipped in mild disappointment, but then her face met her paw and she slurped the coin in.  *chew chew chew*  Her chewing it like bubblegum was indeed, entirely supernatural.  And then it was gone and she looked back at Massimo quizzically.