Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A man in search of his past [open]

Started by Argroww, September 04, 2015, 09:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Argroww

Therrin looked at Averella squinting his eyes.

"You know I cannot shake the feeling that I know you, but how could that be, we've only just met and you've been stuck in that tomb for....I don't know how long!"

Therrin was changing the subject, but in a way he thought was best, the focus on trying to draw people just wasn't working for him and the feeling was nagging at him that this beautiful creature was perhaps someone he knew...his head hurt just trying to focus on that thought and that was odd as he never had headaches....well....except when someone was trying to hurt him inolving his head.

visualspice

"Oh? A strange thought indeed." Frowning, she looked him,over. "I can't say the feelings mutual but... Oh, I do feel at ease around you... Safe, if you know what I,mean." She shrugged and thought it over.
"Oh! Why don't you try to draw me? Well, maybe not know, but sometime when we don't feel so... Er, pressed for time? Maybe it will help you if the way I look feels familiar. If that makes sense and oh! I hope I don't come off as forward or rude to inquire! I won't be offended should you decline!"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Argroww

"I'm a safe fellow to be around...usually and as long as you're not trying to do me any harm." Therrin said with a grin.

"I'm still not sure about this drawing, but somehow exercising art underground doesn't seem wise.  I think perhaps we need to get back on track, I don't know about you, I'm sure you want to be able to see the surface again don't you? I still have these ruins to explore too."

Therrin stretched, an odd habit as his muscles rarely needed to be stretched, something about his healing always kept them in good condition.  The room they were in was not revealing anything useful to him now, not that he was eager to get away from Averella.

visualspice

"Oh! I'm sorry, I just got carried away," she admitted with a blush. "And perhaps I've just become too accustomed to the environment of my tomb." She lowered her gaze. "It... it's the only home I have now." Her next smile was forced. Only as she thought it over did she realize how it made her feel a bit pathetic. But it was hard to let go of her past, to something, the only thing, that remained of her 'living' life so many millenia ago.

"I bet you're eager to be in and out of here, I'm sure." She moved to look at what he sketched. "I just wish I could help you with that. Perhaps the next thing we face I can be a bit more useful."
The more she thought of it, she was realizing how much of an inconvenience she had become. Then again, they hadn't met that long ago. Perhaps she was just being too paranoid over it.

But as she studied his face, she gave a curious tilt of his head. Strange..
As he had mentioned earlier he felt something familiar about her and this environment.
Strange indeed. Something about him looked somewhat familiar as well.

Then again she had seen countless faces over the year and in such poor lighting as this, it would be remarkable if anything substantial could come of it. What was she to think anyway? Maybe it was just his mannerism that reminded her of someone else in a time long forgotten. There were too many memories by now, for her to certainly remember them all!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Argroww

"Your only home? Would you choose to stay here then?" Therrin asked as he studied some more of the wall.

There was something odd about a section of the wall, the mural didn't match the rest.  He ran his fingers over the brickwork, it was newer...not by much, but certainly slightly newer than the rest of the wall, he figured it must have been added before the place became a ruin, but certainly after the rest of the wall was constructed...there had been a doorway here that was sealed off.

"Eager? no, I quite enjoy exploring dusty old places, they tend to be pretty quiet and I enjoy being alone....not that I mind your company of course..hmm...any ideas about this wall, if you've been in that tomb so long do you recall a doorway being here, is it a secret door or just filled in?."

Therrin said gesturing to the part of the mural he believed to be a doorway.

visualspice

"This wall?" She peered at it curiously, a thoughtful finger tapping to her lip. "I've never noticed the differences before. It's.. always been this way as far as I can recall."
She felt useless to him at that point, even more so at his comment he liked to be alone. Perhaps it's why she began to feel a little nervous, or at least embarrassed.
"I'm sorry I'm not much help."

Argroww

"Don't sweat it too much Averella, you've been trapped in a tomb for...well...I doubt even you know how long huh?" Therrin said, sensing that she was perhaps feeling a little down or uncertain about something.

He ran his hand again over the wall, then tried pushing it.  He felt the wall give slightly which was promising, but it didn't give by much.  Even if there was a secret mechanism if it was so old that the door wasn't visible in Averella's time then the mechanism surely didn't work now.

"Averella...umm...this is going to sound odd, but I want you to hit me, hard as you can.  Do it like you really mean to hurt me...if it helps use something..I err...need you to get me annoyed?"

visualspice

He didn't know the half of it when he mentioned her time in the tomb. She wasn't here for forever, but her death cycle did allow her many times to awaken. She normally used that time to try to find answers but... sometimes she couldn't bring herself to do it. It was a long hard process and she only had so much time before she'd simply die again and when that happened, she had no idea where she'd end up. Sometimes it was safer to remain here, back inside her tomb- but each return, she feared, would bring new potential to the discovery of it- and with that, vandals.

But what brought her out of those muddling thoughts was when the man just asked her to...
She blinked.
"You want me to what?"

Argroww

"Hit me, not to make me unconscious or to kill just enough to hurt."

Therrin said, knowing the request was odd sounding.

"Look, if you can get me angry enough I'll get stronger.  It's a bit weird I know, but at full strength I could punch that wall open.  I cannot hit myself though it doesn't work like that and whilst I cannot die I can still be rendered unconscious or temporarily..err...dead so I need you to do things to me to anger me rather that actually kill me.  There's a lot of potential locked in my body, but I cannot bring it all out at will.  I don't know if that's a memory thing or a condition of being what I am."

Therrin explained, hoping that if Averella had an explanation she wouldn't find it so odd.  Of course it might backfire, knowing she was doing it to intentionally anger him might not actually do the trick because he knows it's coming.

visualspice

"Oh."
She just stared at him, mouth gaping like a fish. Then she bowed her head, blushing as she shook her head animatedly.
"Oh, please forgive me! I.. I just couldn't! I.. I don't even think I could if I tried!"

She was by no means aggressive, and such a query put her well outside of her comfort zone.
"Can't.. can't we figure out another way? To see if there's not a tool nearby we could use to loosen the rock, or even perhaps a hidden lever if there is more to this hidden door than just what we can currently detect?"

Argroww

Therrin chuckled, not in an unfriendly way though.

"Well you're sweet I'll give you that.  You probably could if pushed to it, but I'm not so desperate to make you angry enough with me to want to hit me not that sort of man."

Therrin thought for a while, there must be another way and he felt certain that there must be something behind a door hidden so well that a person who used to walk past it often didn't even realise there was a door there.  If there was a mechanism it wasn't magical, he'd know.  Then if it was so old would it still work, but then often simple mechanisms often lasted for a very long time.  He would just need to find the part of the mechanism that would open it.

Typically such things were very close to the door itself, it made it easier to build and operate.  Therrin started feeling around the wall again.

"Averella, you can help me with this then, feel around the wall, slowly and carefully.  You're looking for any part with seems unusual or different, maybe it moves slightly or can be pulled?"

visualspice

She wanted to help. She truly did, but she pouted and held back. Nothing looked visually off. At least not to her. But she tried to push past the familiarity with the location, with the paintings on the wall, with well... everything here and just think to how the room was structured. What parts used to stand out to her the most that might have her questioning they might be used for something else now to break this puzzle.

She closed her eyes to concentrate. Her mind falling back through hundreds of years of information to a time whens he was quite small and she recalled a pedestal. She shifte din that direction, eyes still closed as she continued to dive deeper into her memories. The pedestal used to gleam  when it was polished but the days have long since gone and the shine, now well worn over and it's brightness, snuffed out. There had always been a series of strange recesses set into the pedestal. She never thought much into it except for the design had been unique.

Opening her eyes, she moved towards it, bending down and brushing off the dust as she began to let her fingers smooth over the surface and studied the small recesses within it. Stars. Most of them looked like stars. But she paused when she came across one she almost had over looked.

This one looked like a pair of eyes.
"Hakeshna's eyes," she murmured and turned to the wall in question. There, painted in a recess overtop of it were the exact same pair of eyes- only larger and almost invisible now since their paint and gleam had long since faded over time.

Argroww

"Hakeshna?" Therrin said, whilst it was said quietly in this enclosed space he couldn't help but overhear.

"Interesting to find references to Hekeshna in a ruin so old, it is an ancient religion the Essryni follow, the eyes have strong significance.  We have eyes so that we may see and yet often fail to see that which is most clear."

Therrin knelt by the pedestal, his earlier discomfort at being so close to a woman as pretty as Averella now gone in his desire to unravel the mystery of the door.  He also ran his fingers over the recesses, some clearly felt like star shaped objects, two were smooth round holes placed much like a pair of eyes.  The fact that Averella did not recall them to be eyes suggested that they were never painted as such although the significance was lost on Therrin for now, he believed it to be important though because the deity's eyes were directly above the door.

He blew at the dust some more and felt around the recess in the pedestal....there was a fine line around the smaller eyes and stars, so fine it was almost impossible to detect.  It was a circle...the eyes and stars were meant to be turned and each of the stars had a different number of points which likely meant that they were an indication of how it was meant to be turned.

Therrin tried using his thumb and fore-finger to turn the circle using the eyes as leverage points, it didn't budge.

visualspice

Averella held her breath. When nothing happened, she frowned.
"Perhaps it's not meant to be moved?" she asked. "Maybe.. something needs inserted?" She wasn't sure if that suggestion was even helping.

Argroww

"A key! Yes there must have been a key of some kind, I suspect it was a 2 pronged key, probably with a handle to make it easier to turn, do you recall ever seeing anything like that Averella?"

Therrin was excited, this was one of his best finds yet, normally his finds were old vases, ancient barely surviving scripts or odd murals that literally went nowhere, here he had an actual secret door!

visualspice

Averella blinked.
"I'm not sure a traditional key would fit." She blinked and observed it closer. There were definitely recesses, and some went in deeper than other- like key holes, only more shapely, with obvious ornamentation.

Taking the details into account, she stepped closer to the wall in question and let her hands smooth down the support beams around a door frame type decore.

"I remember the stories about the door locks... I know it sounds silly and is an old tail, but ancient Essyrni society once held locks within the rooms using iconic symbols as keys."

She continued to look and gasped when her hands fell over something brass. It was just about the right size of the recess, and when she began to twist it, the brass ornament began to come loose from it's frame.

"Look!" she held up the small brass charm, which was no bigger than a marble, up in the palm of her hand so he could see it. "This looks like it could fit in one of the recesses. Shall we try it?" It couldn't hurt, right? So over to the pedestal she went, and found the matching piece. This one was a bird, with leaves for eyes. She took the metal one and placed it into it's matching recess. It snapped into palce as she held her breath.. but nothing happened.

"Perhaps there is something else to it?" Her hands idly moved up and down the shaft where the other hollows were. "Or.. we need to find each insert..?" She looked over at the door, and then around the room. There could be others but...
One part that had her worried was the tomb was pretty old and the pieces were made of brass, or gold.. something metal and once shiny. It was very possible if someone found these trinkets, and although small, they might have taken them for money. She had seen too many tomb robbers in her day. But she wasn't about to dash their hopes yet. especially as her eyes fell upon another similar shaped and sized one attached to a nearby, long since vacant, water chamber.

"Look! Another!" She unscrewed the piece and held it up into what fragments of light were afforded. "This one looks like the head of a snake."

Argroww

Therrin was impressed, Averella was suddenly looking very enthusiastic after clearly being so down from feeling useless and here she was finding lots of keys for the lock on the pedestal.  There was clearly something still missing though as the lock was designed to turn.  The keys would allow it to turn, but a device would still be needed to actually turn it.

The was a remarkable complex lock given how old it was which encouraged Therrin to consider that what lay behind the door would be quite valuable in some way or another.

"You're doing a great job Averella! well done!" Therrin said with a grin that stuck out due to his dark beard.

He proceeded to assist in the search of the room hoping like Averella that the ravages of time and raiders had not resulted in some of the keys going missing, they were metal which some considered valuable irrelevant of the kinds of metal involved.

Therrin found another of the keys. "Ahh, this one is a fish.  Remarkable craftsmanship on these I must say." he said as he popped the small key into it's recess."

visualspice

There was two recesses left. Upon further examining Averella deduced, "It looks like we're missing a lion's paw and.." Her eyes narrowed to try to decipher the last recess. "This one is hard to say." She gently blew on the hole to try to see if the dirt or tarnish might move, but the smudge was stubborn.

"Maybe it's a .... a lotus flower. The brass sculpture on the outside of it.." she went on, tapping the main base of the key. "This area around here looks like water.. waves.. maybe river waves." She looked at the recess again. "Perhaps the last shape is something that has to deal with the river. Maybe a hippopotamus or even a crocodile."

She sighed and looked around. "But we still need to find the lion's paw."

Argroww

Therrin ran his fingers through his beard, only 2 key pieces left.  They were so close it would be a shame to be unable to find the final pieces.

A lions paw and something else that wasn't obvious, could be a flower, could be an animal.

Therrin sighed looking around the room trying to spot any other likely hiding places, trouble is there was rubble in the room and thus it was very likely that the last two pieces were behind something they couldn't even see, let alone reach and they were perhaps very lucky to have found as many keys.

He looked at the pile that sat at the other side of the room.

"Nothing for it then, we shift that lot...or I do, I'll not put a lady to work!" Therrin said almost as much to himself as Averella.

Whilst Therrin was a fast healer that did not stop him from sweating so in anticipation of his activity he stripped to the waist removing his tunic revealing a tightly muscled chest and fairly powerful looking arms.  He could at times gain supernatural strength, but was otherwise as strong as his lifestyle allowed him to be mixed with what he believed his physical condition was like when he became immortal...although he couldn't recall what he was like back then and right now he had a somewhat athletic strength, practical musculature designed for a variety of tasks rather that the focused strength of a bodybuilder or even a wrestler.

Therrin then started with the smaller pieces of rubble, being careful not to move anything that might destabilise the larger pieces, or even the room itself.  He suspected though that the structure of the room was strong enough not to collapse from what he was moving.

visualspice

"Oh, but I don't mind helping! Really! ANd what else am I to do?" she assured him as she followed after him, not unlike that of a dog at one's heels. Though the second his shirt came off, she couldn't help but gape at him. Thankfully it seemed he hadn't noticed, because when SHE did, she turned away and touched her burning hot cheeks.

She would have thought being alive for so many years, seeing a man in such a state wouldn't keep causing her to flush but... she supposed she was the way she was and there wasn't much changing that now. So when she was able to, she dropped her gaze to the floor, and held onto her skirts and bent down to get on her knees, and began to shuffle around at places that might potentially hide the sunken key pieces.

Tags: