Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Prior Engagements (Moonie!)

Started by Nix, December 03, 2015, 08:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nix

Siiraia was pissed at him he was sure, but there was no way he was going to mingle with lords and ladies at some party when he could be doing better things. Truly it wasn't so much a matter of doing better things so much as not attending his own engagement party. He had never even bothered to meet his fiance. Truth be told he had no interest in her. His sister was furious about that too. Of course by now Siiraia was used to standing in as Kiaal in social situations, but she was always angry with him for it.

Right now Siiraia was socializing in his place, dressed as him so he could work. Well by work he meant read through Lucian's files. Lucian documented many things, his thoughts, impresssions on various people and places, as well as laws, old scripture and legend. It was all fascinating to Kiaal. Mostly because it was all that was left of Lucian.

He say hunched over his desk in his study, pouring over a letter he had found among Lucian's files on the Order of the Moon. A letter he had written to Lucian less than a year ago. And now all of house Talii was gone. Lucian's entire family was wiped out... And now Kiaal had to take his place as High Lord of Moonspear. A job he never wanted. But he could not abandon his province. Even if he failed to attend social functions.
Amalendu Somadev // Arkyn // Ayvya // Brynjar Eir // Cijii // Demaraen Astarthos // Jaibah
// Kaavi Klkrin // Kevinth Arik // Khavanri Jalmuur // Kiaal Ethyarion // Lahvi // Mahvash Samara // Maram-Jinan // Robin // Runeha // Siiraia Ethyarion // Sureya Anelise // Tryggvi Vilhjal

"FEELING GREAT ABOUT YOURSELF IS NOT A JOKING ISSUE, iT IS HEAVY DUTY BUSINESS, aND NEEDS TO BE GIVEN ALL THE SERIOUSNESS THAT SAD THINGS GET" ~American Sports Legend, Charles Barkley

Zero

Dimitri wasn't fond of normal parties, and this wasn't just another party. An engagement party for his cousin was far, far worse. Mainly because everyone that came up to speak to him demanded to know when he'd be throwing an engagement party of his own. Some not-so-subtly mentioned their eligible daughters when he expressed that he'd not considered marriage just yet.

He had to escape. Somehow he actually managed to disentangle himself from the other party-goers, Dimitri hadn't even paid his respects the his cousin and host before slipping quietly from the party central and wandering the relatively empty halls of the capitol freely.

During his roaming a peculiar sight greeted him, there was light coming from one of the rooms. It seemed odd that anyone would not be at the party. Dimitri wasn't sure what he was expecting when he pushed open the door to the study - perhaps a couple that had fled the party for more privacy - but what he saw made him start slightly and blink in surprise.

"Did I mistake seeing you at the party a few minutes past, cousin?" Kiaal had a twin, did he not? Yes, but a sister...did they look that much alike? Perhaps he should pay more attention to his relations if he couldn't tell his male and female twin cousins apart.

Nix

Kiaal looked up from the letter when the door opened. He expected to see Siiraia, she was likely to come in stripping off his formal attire that she donned to save face at any moment and force him into it instead, sending him out into the party. Of course, then she would have to put up with being introduced to every eligible noble man when all she really wanted to do was spend time with Kiaal's fiance. Perhaps it wasn't so surprising his sister hadn't shown up yet...

What was very surprising was Dimitri Orlov standing there. Shit. He closed the portfolio he was going through, the emblem of the Order of the Moon etched into the leather of the cover, and sat up straight trying not to seem alarmed or annoyed that he'd been discovered.

"Perhaps you have since I am clearly here. What brings you so far from the main festivities cousin?" He couldn't remember just how they were related, they weren't particularly close with their relatives. Well other than Lucian...

He was certain Dimitri was his cousin in some matter though. "Did you find my party so dull you found it appropriate to wander?"
Amalendu Somadev // Arkyn // Ayvya // Brynjar Eir // Cijii // Demaraen Astarthos // Jaibah
// Kaavi Klkrin // Kevinth Arik // Khavanri Jalmuur // Kiaal Ethyarion // Lahvi // Mahvash Samara // Maram-Jinan // Robin // Runeha // Siiraia Ethyarion // Sureya Anelise // Tryggvi Vilhjal

"FEELING GREAT ABOUT YOURSELF IS NOT A JOKING ISSUE, iT IS HEAVY DUTY BUSINESS, aND NEEDS TO BE GIVEN ALL THE SERIOUSNESS THAT SAD THINGS GET" ~American Sports Legend, Charles Barkley

Zero

Well it wasn't as if it should be surprising to be met with annoyance. After all, Dimitri had interrupted the man and was roaming his home without express permission. Perhaps not the best impression to make on the new High Lord of Moonspear, but honestly he wasn't worried about smoothing over the social blunder. It would be done easily enough.

"That would depend, if it is so dull that the host cannot be bothered to attend, then perhaps it is well for me that I left it?" Dimitri arched a brow coolly at his flustered relation. They weren't close cousins, by any means, but closer than half the other guests at the party he was related to.

"At any rate, no." He lamented with a dismissive wave of his hand. "It was not the event itself that drove me to roam. Your guests beset me with demanding questions about my own marital status. Apparently since you are set to wed it is criminal that I remain single. I could not pretend to smile at another girl I held no interest in while her father rambled on and on about what a fine wife she would make."

Dimitri actually grimaced at the memory. So very many young women trying to win themselves a husband of a social stature similar to his. Women, they hunted powerful husbands like sport.

Nix

Kiaal found himself chuckling at the others remarks, his annoyance melting away fairly easily. "We must be related. I couldn't stand to be out there celebrating with a woman I have no interest in."

It was no secret that his marriage was arranged. He had been promised to... What's her name since they were children, and if you asked her they were also madly in love. But he had never met the girl. The 'man' that woman knew was Siiraia in drag. Every instance of their 'meeting' had been his sister standing in for him.

Kiaal smiled at Dimitri and gestured to the chair in front of his desk. "Please, have a seat. Would you care to join me for a drink?"

Zero

"Must be, and you have my sympathy, truly." Thankfully no such arrangement had been made for Dimitri years ago, perhaps if his father had survived a few years longer it would have come to pass. Gods knew after the passing of his father and little brother his poor mother hadn't the motivation to do much beyond keep the house from completely collapsing on itself.

Despite the family's hardships, as soon as Dimitri had come of age he'd done spectacularly well at making House Orlov stronger than ever, regardless of the fact that he was now the only living member of the house.

"A drink sounds like a fantastic idea." Lord Orlov had an easy and amicable smile as he settled into the indicated chair. "What are we drinking?"

Nix

"Thank you for your sympathy." Kiaal rummaged through some drawers in the elaborate mahogany desk- Lucian's old desk, and pulled out a flask. Kiaal and Siiraia hadn't changed a thing in the castle, they couldn't bring themselves to. Lucian was their family, their boss, their Lord. The loss of house Talii had hit the twins hard, but it hit Kiaal harder.

Lucian was the love of Kiaal's life, he idolized his cousin. Even though they never even shared a romantic touch between them Kiaal had been totally devoted to him. "Lucian always kept a flask of something good in his desk." he said setting the flask and two tumblers down. He opened the flask and took a whiff. "Smells like brandy." he said with a slight smile. It smelled like Lucian the last time Kiaal saw him.

He poured them each a double and screwed the cap back on the flask before pushing one of the glasses towards Dmitri. "To Lucian Talii, the greatest high Lord of our life time." he said raising his glass some.

Zero

Dimitri let his eyes wander around the study as Kiaal went through the drawers seeking the hidden stash of the late High Lord. It was an impressive room - the entire capitol was quite a marvel, but this building in particular was the crowning glory of the provenance, if he did say so himself. Given his birth and societal standing he should be familiar with this place, but this was actually the first time he had even been in this room.

A somewhat bitter reminder of how far he still had to go to attain true greatness for his house.

House Orlov was loosely related to both House Talii and House Ethyarion, but unlike Kiaal whom had been close to Lucian, Dimitri had not known either man in more than a passing way, despite being cousins to both. That lack of connection was something he regretted now, but with his father's passing his mother had truly ended up casting House Orlov into semi-isolation.

Attending this party had been the first step in correcting these past mistakes. Chance had given him the perfect opportunity to put himself in the view of the new High Lord, and he would seize this good fortune.

"Lucian had good tastes," Dimitri said with a smile as Kiaal poured their brandy. He leaned forward to lightly lift the tumbler, raising it respectfully as his gracious host made a toast to the departed, "To Lucian, may his soul be at rest."

Nix

That last line was hard for Kiaal to swallow, though he knew Dimitri was just being polite. He let their glasses clink and took a good long swig of the brandy. "I don't know how he can rest well with his house unavenged." He muttered softly, tilting his tumbler in thought.

Officially it was an illness that struck down house Talii, but Kiaal could not believe that. It was too convenient. He believed demons or perhaps dark magiks to be responsible. He held strong to the conviction that Lucian and his family were murdered and he would rather be out there finding those responsible, as was his true duty as a member of the order of the moon, than sitting in Lucian's chair playing High Lord.

He never wanted to take Lucian's place, though some had whispered about he and his sister wiping out the Taliis to seize power, a ridiculous notion to any who truly knew the twins. Unfortunately the court did not know them well.

He took another sip and sat the glass down, forcing a small smile on to his lips. "Forgive me I am still in mourning. Taking on his duties has left little time to come to terms with the sudden loss of our cousin and his family. Did you know him well Lord Orlov? I am ashamed to say I had little dealings with the court myself before the tragedy. I do not know the politics of Moonspear as well as I might had I attended functions such as these prior. Or even currently as it were." He chuckled softly.

Zero

"I know it can be difficult to accept loved ones being struck down by sickness, I know more than most." Dimitri said cautiously, he assumed that illness was the cause of the deaths, as that was the official explanation given to the court and public. Sure, there could be motive from Kiaal and his sister to dispose of Lucian to seize power, but it was not a line of reasoning he cared to pursue. Especially when Kiaal was now in power - why oppose him when his own position felt so precarious?

He doubted there were many families of the court that understood the ravages of illness better than him. His father and brother had both been taken within a very short amount of time. It had been very ill-fortune for his house, and was the whole reason he was so determined to have his family rise again into prosperity.

"Currently indeed." He chuckled for a moment before returning to seriousness. "Unfortunately I did not know him well. My father died when I was young, as I'm sure you know. My mother withdrew from active life in the court and I along with her. I am trying to regain my footing in the world now that I am a man. It is my duty to House Orlov."

Nix

"How thoughtless of me. I had forgotten your loss as well forgive my impertinence. Neither passage of time, nor the fact that I am a soldier at heart, excuse my lack of propriety regarding your circumstance." Kiaal offered, his mouth turning downwards even more. How inconsiderate. He should have remembered House Orlov's own tragedies.

He made sure their glasses were still full of brandy and tried finally to steer the conversation away from the subject of illness and death, odd for him since it consumed him as of late. "You seem to have done well with your house. I can make no claim to any courtly expertise, especially as of this conversation but my briefings have told me you and making great strides for your house."

Perhaps it was out of genuine interest rather than mere conversation that the next sentence fell from Kiaal's lips but they were said with no indication of either. "Tell me, what are your aspirations Dimitri? Personally and for House Orlov."

Tags: