Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

On the Quest for Trinkets [ Lowen ]

Started by Pandora, May 03, 2018, 09:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pandora

The stars brought the Lyre to a quiet corner of the market square in Serendipity that early morning. With the surrounding shops starting to open, and the crowd slowly coming in, Khalia takes a moment to hop out of their caravan to wander the streets to discover what new wares they had to offer. It was always a treat, the sensation almost similar to unearthing rare treasure, to find curious and interesting things. Khalia figures she might find some to bring back to Hedvig as well.

Dressed in her dangling jewels and colorful veils, the silvery haired lady looks outlandish among the citizens of Serendipity, attracting odd looks here and there, but it was so long ago that Khalia paid no mind to the attention she got onto herself. She walked gracefully along the streets, the veils flowing along her motions like petals dancing in the wind, carrying with her the scent of her sweet, flowery perfume.

The first shop she sees is a bakery stall selling an assortment of pastries. The way the butter glistened across the brown crusty tops of the pastries, as well as the different colors of frosting and little candies were a treat for the eyes. Reaching for her gold purse, she was tempted to buy two of everything, causing a mild ruckus among the bakery's staff. Khalia felt pleased to walk out of the shop with a couple boxes of freshly baked treats, eating one of the flaky, buttery croissants already.

"Mm... This would go well with some hot chocolate..." She mutters to herself, walking further down the street, unknowingly leaving a few crumbs of pastry here and there.   

Lowen Thorn

"Get out of here ya bum!"

Just a little distant from the bakery, the doors of a local tavern swung up and a man stumbled out of it backwards, toppling over his feet until he landed on his back. It had been a long time since the bounty hunter had been to Serendipity, and within the first couple of hours he found himself in the bar having drinks. Having a great time. And then, wouldn't you know it, he found himself outside on his ass.

"You're cut off, Amaya!" the barkeep, emerging from the front door, barked as he stood over the man. "I don't care how long it's been! I can't have you in here acting like some drunk in my bar, and then having the nerve to speak to my daughter!"

"Oh, come on, pops," he said through a slurred smile, moving to sit upright. "I was just being nice."

The man glared daggers at Amaya for several more moments before letting out a heavy sigh, shaking his head, and returning to the bar. "Get yourself together man," he called out as he walked away.

Amaya blinked slowly at him. "Old bastard," he cursed, rubbing the back of his head.

Pandora

Khalia stopped in her tracks to find a man tossed out of an establishment and into the paved street. After a brief exchange with who seemed like the proprietor, she blinks, and looks at the man, having a perfectly good idea of what had transpired inside.

She walked closer to the man, and held her hand out towards him without a second thought. "Drinking too much is not good if you get drunk! If you really want to drink lots and lots of alcohol, you must not get drunk doing it! For example... Ah! A goblet that will let you drink as much as you want and never get drunk! Wouldn't that be marvelous?!" She grins cheerfully at him. "Would you like a doughnut?"

Lowen Thorn

It took several moments for the man to register that the woman was speaking to him, much less what she was saying. When he was finally able to focus on the figure hovering over him, he tilted his head with a skeptical look in his eyes. Who was this woman, and what did she want with him? Her hair was long and silvery white, had fair skin, and everything about her just seemed so eloquent. There could only be one explanation for this.

"Are you some sort of Angel?" he asked, his eyes trailing back down to the cobblestone as he almost immediately lost concentration. "Got the wrong guy, lady. I don't belong there."

But then, his eyes widened and he scrambled. Slowly, he lifted his hand, spun it around and pointed his finger into his chest. "Wait. Did you say doughnuts? Fresh out of those I'm afraid, but we can go get some."

Pandora

"Angel? Mmm... Not quite. I'm just Khalia, that's all!" The woman smiles. "And don't worry, I have some right here! I just bought them!" She opens the box with her free hand, revealing to the man a wide assortment of pastries, the warmth still emanating from them. "Pick any one you like! A liquid breakfast is not the best kind!"

Lowen Thorn

'Pick any one you like! A li-'

"Don't mind if I do."

Amaya didn't wait for her to finish her sentence before he scooped one the doughnuts out of the box and stuffed it into his mouth, barely managing to even chew. When one successfully slid down his stomach, he picked out another. He opened his mouth to insert the second doughnut before-

Wait.

"Did you say breakfast?" he asked, dumbfounded.

Oh gods. He had been at the tavern all night and all through the morning.

Well, he's done worse things.

Pandora

"Yes, breakfast!" Khalia grins and nods quickly. "But... Oh, my... You sure are hungry, aren't you?" She blinks, and gently shoves one of the boxes she carried into his arms. "Here, you can have this! You look like you haven't eaten in centuries!"

Lowen Thorn

He stopped halfway through a chew, slowly moving his head down to look at the box and then back up to her, his eyes somewhat dazed. "Funny little bird you are," he managed to say. He jerked his arm up, reaching for her hand to shake it, resulting in the box of doughnuts she just gave him to tumle to the ground.

"What's your name?" he asked, clearly not catching it the first time. "I'm Amaya."

Pandora

"I'll take that as a compliment!" Khalia giggles, but watched as the box fell down to the ground. "Hoo dear..." Looking at the scattered pastries, she flicked her finger, making circles in the air. "It would be a waste of good pastry!"

The pastries, and the box that dropped, soon floated in the air. Flecks of dust from the ground seemed to fly off from their surfaces, and the clean-looking treats float gracefully back in the box, before floating towards Amaya.

"My name is Kalliandra, but Khalia is shorter and easier, no?" She nods quickly. "That you can call me!"

Lowen Thorn

"Sandra," he mistook her name with a tipsy smile. "Nice name."

Without even registering that the box of doughnuts were floating midair, he reached out to grab it and stuffed it tightly under his arm. "I'm Amaya, by the way," he introduced again. "What is it that I can do for you?"

Pandora

"No! Kah-LEE-yah!" Khalia shook her head and enunciated each tone. "It's nice to meet you, Amaya." She nodded. "What is it you can do for me? Nothing!" She grins. "I just saw you get tossed out into the street, that's all, and I figured you'd like a doughnut!" 

Lowen Thorn

"Oh, Khalia," he finally got it. "Why didn't you say so in the first place?"

He took out another doughnut and bit into it. "Well, I do like doughnuts, so that was very nice of you. Not sure how I'll be able to repay you," he said through the crumbs in his teeth. Shrugging his shoulders, he turned away from her and started walking down the alley. "See ya."

Pandora

"No need to concern yourself with payment!" Khalia smiled. "I gave them to you for free, after all!"

Seeing him turning around to leave, she blinks. "Oh! You're going, now? Goodbye then!" Khalia waves at him.

Watching him walk off, however, she sees something sparkle on the ground. "Hmm? What's this?"

Bending over, she picks up a necklace with a fang amulet dangling from it. "Ohhh... Ohh! This must be Amaya's!"

She turns to look for any sign of the man, but finds nothing. "Oh dear... Amaya, wait up! You dropped something!" She holds it up in the air and runs to the direction he headed.

Lowen Thorn

Amaya walked briskly, and with each step his tipsy demeanor miraculously seemed to improve. "What a strange woman," he said timidly as he finished off the last doughnut and chunking the empty box into the street. "Not sure what-"

He stopped as he thought he heard his name, and then the sound of shoes slapping the cobbled streets came ringing out as if they were heading in his direction.

He glanced over his shoulder to see Khalia running straight for him, and for a moment, he lost all sense of understanding and reason. "Shit!" he piped out, turning once more and pushing forward into a mad dash down the alley.

Why is she chasing me?!

Tags: