Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Can I Get an Amen? [RHEH-RHEH] [M]

Started by DaGlobster, December 23, 2015, 10:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaGlobster

Truly, rainfall was one of mother nature's unappreciated miracles.

Elaros sat in his house in Uthlyn, one of his many abodes that he made use of as he travelled around Le'Ranna for business. His home in Uthlyn had the distinctive quality of being his most elegantly furnished abode. The entire structure was a monument to his exceptional tastes, and since Uthlyn was such a hotbed for the jewelry business, it was also his largest home.

Elaros was seated in an exquisitely upholstered seat, enjoying the peace and the sound of rainfall as he watched it come down. A hookah sat next to his seat, and he raised the mouthpiece to his snout, taking a deep draft of it and exhaling softly as he set it back down.

He rested his head backwards, and went still.

Rhindeer

Niamh had gotten hopelessly lost coming out of La'marri.

The mountain passes had all looked the same, even with her map, and after weeks of travel and harsh weather, after running low on her rations and practically freezing to death out in the cold, by the time she made it to the relief of a windy valley...

Well, goddess, she hadn't realized it was bloody Connlaoth until she was right in he thick of it.

She knew Connlaoth's reputation. It was a heathen land that believed in a single false god, "Ansgar", and they believed in burning mages or some such nonsense. A dangerous place, she knew, but she had faith that the Goddess would keep her safe, as She had so many times before, as long as she could feel Her Light warming her. And so she kept on trekking; she would have to cut through the mountains yet again if she wanted to reach Serendipity, and she did her best along the way to keep a low profile as she slept in barns and overheard villagers gossiping about the mage epidemic--and the mage camps--all while singing praises to their blasphemous god.

It was enough to make her blood boil, but she managed to bite her tongue. She was a mage; she couldn't do anything stupid, especially as an unmarked one in a country that required a mark.

Bastards.

Just a few more weeks, she told herself, but all that travel had made her weary and exhausted, for she'd forced herself to just keep moving and stop only to sleep. There finally came a point, though, when her body rebelled, when the elements and the lack of rest and sleep caught up with her.

It was in some big city called Uthlyn, a place so close to her goal, and the day was rainy and windy and soaked right through her clothes to her skin, even though she wore a thick cloak over her breeches and tunic. A chill that had nothing to do with the cold had taken over her even before he rain fell down and she felt cold even though her body burned and aches seeped deep into her muscles. She knew she was sick; she'd felt it coming on a day ago with that tell-tale burn in the back of her throat, and the runny nose had sealed it. But she'd still told herself that she had to keep going--

But now she couldn't. Everything hurt and she felt cold and dizzy and hot and the rain just kept falling, and she knew she'd be in trouble if she pushed herself much more. She didn't want anything from these people. Didn't trust them, didn't want anything to do with them. But as her head spun, she finally had to swallow her pride like a bitter pill.

Stumbling to the front door of a building--she hadn't even paid attention to which, through the haze of the rain and the blur of her vision--she pounded on the door, then slumped forward against it, head rested against the wood with the effort it took to keep standing.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

Elaros's eyes wandered over the rainy cityscape before his window. It was all out of focus in a rather trippy way, what with the wet window obscuring things. However, it didn't prevent him from seeing the silhouette of a hooded figure walking down the street in front of him. Normally, he would have paid it no mind, but the figure was walking rather oddly, and when he saw it turn towards his estate, he slowly rose from his seat.

He was halfway down the stairs in the foyer when the knocks came, echoing throughout the house and grabbing the attention of his guards, who were standing by the front doors. One of them turned to answer it, but Elaros raised a hand.

Elaros approached the door, and opened it rather quickly. When he saw the miserable state of the woman there, he opened it fully.

"Oh! Can I help you?"

Rhindeer

The door swung open, and Niamh had the reflexes at least to catch herself on the door frame and hold herself up shakily. She was sweating even though she was shivering, and panting as though she had run miles, and it took a great effort to stay upright. Tiredly, she raised her eyes,  but she was only vaguely aware of a voice speaking, and of a shape looming before her asking if she could be helped...

And then the exhaustion took hold completely and she collapsed forward with a sigh, falling at Elaros's feet.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

Elaros caught Niamh by the shoulders before she could faceplant onto his carpet. His guards immediately went from relaxed to on alert, kneeling down by Niamh as Elaros set her down.

He stood up, and looked around.

"I'm too addled for this right now..." He mumbled, and silently cursed his luck.

He stood, and motioned to Niamh.

"You two, get her to the main lounge," he said, and he turned to a female servant.

"Get all of my towels, and Tell Thaddeus to start up some tea."

He looked back to Niamh, and frowned.

-------------------

When Niamh next awoke, she'd be lying on a rather comfortable couch, wrapped up in a veritable pile of warm towels. Elaros was across from her, a small glass table seperating them. The main lounge of Elaros' home was a grand affair, with massive windows designed to let in natural light, masterfully crafted furnishings, several grand pieces of art, and a large centerpiece sculpture that depicted two dragons, one white and one black, circling a star.

His posture suggested anxiousness, and it didn't look like he immediately noticed her stirring.

Rhindeer

Niamh came to with a small groan, wrinkling her brow and shifting a little where she lay. She still felt like utter shit; that was one of the first things she noticed. And she was still wet, her sopping clothes still sticking to her like a second skin. But the next thing she realized was that she was at least warmer and comfortable, bundled up in a little nest of warm towels and stretched out on a cushioned couch.

She cracked her eyes open, sniffling a little, and blinked in the light as she looked slowly around. Where...where was she?

The room was posh, posh enough that she held her breath for a beat in disbelief. What kind of place had she stumbled upon? Nobility of some sort? Holy Light. Still shivering a little, she looked cautiously around the room, heart beating faster, until--

HOLY SHIT A DRAGON!!

She yelped when her eyes found Elaros and jerked upright, an effort to bolt to her feet, but her head swam and her limbs were tangled in the towels and she only wound up falling off the couch in a pile of limbs and cloth.

DaGlobster

Well, she certainly had his attention now.

Elaros' head snapped over to Niamh as she yelped and went toppling off of the couch into a pile of towels and flesh. He stood from his seat, and looked down at her, placing his hands together.

"It's alright, you're safe now," Elaros said, and he smiled.

"You collapsed at my door, so I had you brought in. You poor girl, you must've been freezing," Elaros said with a shiver.

Rhindeer

"I--wha--you...!" Niamh babbled out, heart still galloping away as the dragon spoke. The dragon, who was wearing clothes and who was man-sized and eloquent. She stared up at him with wide eyes, for a moment thinking she must be insane, that this was some fever-induced hallucination, but no, this seemed too real and her fever had broken, anyway.

Pulling the towels tighter around her, she swallowed hard. What. The. Hell. He wasn't the first strange creature she'd met, or even the first non-human, but most of them had at least had more human faces. This was new and jarring.

"This...uh...this is your place?" she finally managed to ask, and felt, out of habit, for the dagger she kept sheathed at her belt--and also realized with a jolt that she must have dropped her staff somewhere out in the courtyard.

Shit.

DaGlobster

"Yes, this is my home," Elaros said, placing a hand on his chest. "You are under the hospitality of Lord Elaros K'Rvain of Drakkona."

A servant came into the lounge with a kettle of steaming elderflower tea, and set it down on the table between Elaros and Niamh.

"You were in quite the frightful condition when you arrived. Why, if you hadn't come to my door, you might've collapsed in the street."

Rhindeer

Niamh drew in a slow breath and let it out, though her nose was all stuffed up, as her hand touched the handle of her dagger. Still there. Just in case. Past experiences had lead her to be extra jumpy around strangers, not to mention non-humans, and one with teeth like that? Jeez. But she forced herself to relax a little, knowing if he'd wanted to do harm, he wouldn't have brought her in and bundled her up and delivered her tea.

"Yeah, I...uh...I think I'm sick," she said lamely, stating the obvious, and passed a hand through her wet hair. She still felt warm, but she was no longer burning, at least. "I didn't wanna, uh...I didn't mean to just sorta...fall at your door or anything, you were just sorta, erm, the first door I got to?"

She glanced up at the couch, which looked nicer than anything she'd ever sat on. "...Hope I didn't ruin it."

DaGlobster

[Yo, I just realized... wouldn't Khero be here too?]

"Oh, you're definitely sick. I can almost feel your warmth from here," Elaros said with a swish of his tail.

He joined his hands, and sat back down on his seat.

"You don't need to apologize for anything, either. I'm quite happy to help when somebody comes looking for it," he said.

He motioned to the tea as the servant poured it.

"Please, have some tea. It'll take the chill right out of you."

Rhindeer

[She would be! 8D Prolly on their way to Serendipity? Mebbe? xD]

Niamh didn't need to be told twice. She was parched and tea sounded wonderful to her aching body, so she took up the cup of steaming tea--and then drank deeply from it, even though it was hot enough to scald most peoples' tongues. But she didn't seem to mind as she downed the cup, eyes closed in pleasure as it warmed her from the inside, and when she set it back down, she had drained it to the dregs.

She wiped her lips and let out a slow breath, still stuffed up. "Thanks. Really," she said as she pulled the towels tighter around her. It was awkward to say that--humbling, really--and it felt weird to be humbled around...well...him. Them. To be a guest in a heathen's home, and not just that, but a dragon person! A Connlaothian dragon person! Light, if her people could see her now, taking shelter from a savage...

Well, this story would go no further than this home. And besides, could they really fault her? Desperate times called for desperate measures, and besides, maybe she could turn this into an educational opportunity and save a soul or two.

Either way, she would need to leave as soon as she was able. Humble wasn't a thing she was good at being, and even ill she felt antsy because heathens were savages and there was no telling how thin their hospitality might stretch. So far, her experiences with outsiders had been...erm...

...Special.

But for now, her hands were tied.

She shivered a little, burying her nose in the towels. "I know it might be much to ask, but do you have any dry clothes I could borrow? At least until these ones have a chance to dry? If not, that's fine! You're already doing a lot and I don't wanna push it." She sniffled again and rubbed at her nose. "I promise I'll leave as soon as I can."

DaGlobster

[they probably would have snogged by now :D]

"Please, stay as long as you feel sick," Elaros said, giving her another friendly smile.

He leaned in, and his face went serious. He glanced about, and his pose relaxed a bit.

"You don't have to worry about anything. I'm no connlaothian, and I don't share their barbaric views on mages. If you're worried about that, then you can rest easy."

He cleared his throat.

"Khero, dear! Do come bring our guest some biscuits."

Rhindeer

[Ahahahaha probably. xD]

Ehh?? Had she been that transparent? Then again, she was wearing clothes of a foreign design, right down to the design of her blade, and her features didn't look Connlaothian. Maybe it was natural to assume a strange foreigner might be a mage?

...Or maybe it was because she'd just drank a scalding cup of tea without flinching, and hadn't paused to think about how that might look.

Niamh cleared her throat. "I wasn't worried, really," she said, shifting her eyes off to the side. "I have my goddess's protection--which, now that I think of it, is probably why I wound up at your door in the first place." She looked back at him. "Not that I'm a mage! I only wield Her Light. It's not magic, it's Her gift." She sniffed. "Not that that would fly, I'm sure. That's too complicated a distinction for those savages."

Khero, dressed in one of the bodice and skirt combinations Elaros had bought her when he first found her, overheard the tail end of that as she walked in with a tray of hot biscuits, curious about this guest. Her eyebrows rose when she saw a girl, younger than her and looking half drowned, curled up in a pile of towels on the floor. She looked over at Elaros with a raised eyebrow as she set them down on the table, as though asking, "guest guest, or slave guest?"

DaGlobster

[I was thinking not full-on snogged, though. More like they've kissed and touched but haven't gone farther]

Elaros gave Khero a retaliatory look, before smiling her. It was obvious that her presence was one that he found deeply pleasurable.

"Khero, this lovely stranger collapsed onto my doorstep. She's sick, and will be staying with us a while," he said. He turned back to Niamh.

"I don't think you gave me your name."

Rhindeer

[That makes most sense to me! So I vote yes!]

"Sick? It ain't catchin', is it?" Khero blurted before she could help it, and Niamh hunched her shoulders at the question.

"Just don't touch me and you'll be fine," she muttered with a sniffle, wiping her nose with the back of her hand. Slightly defensive or not, it was obvious she was relieved that there was another human here. Which was the last thing she had expected, since all the others had been...well...whatever the hell he was. But he and this girl seemed familiar, comfortable enough with one another, and that at least eased her mind a little.

She just wondered what their connection was. Servant? Slave?

"Anyway, I'm Niamh. Uh...and you're...Lord Elaros? And Khero." She shook her head, still disbelieving, and picked up a hot biscuit without flinching at the heat. "Jeez. A Lord. I'm sorry, I'm still kinda...the last place I expected to end up was at a Lord's mansion and I just..."

Was kind of still nervous as hell, despite her claims that she wasn't worried?

DaGlobster

[That being said, Khero would also know that Elaros gets all of the ladies, so she's probably in the process of getting used to him coming home with random women and stuff like that.]

Elaros looked to Khero, and gave her a knowing shrug. He directed his eyes back to Niamh, and he relaxed into his seat.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Niamh. There's no need to apologize."

Rhindeer

[xDDD!! It boggles her MIND!]

Khero returned Elaros's knowing shrug with a knowing look of her own. She knew his ways. And she knew that this girl was young and pretty, even with a raw nose and shadows under her eyes. Guest, indeed!

Well! She was really hoping he would at least have sense not to put the moves on a sick girl. There was no sense spreading whatever it was she had. With a soft snort, she clapped Elaros on the shoulder.

"Just try not to get everyone in the house sick," she said with a nod, her meaning heavily implied in the look she gave him, before she turned to leave. "I'll fetch some clothes. Ya got her sittin' in wet stuff still, and that ain't good."

Fortunately for the rest of them, Niamh, at least, didn't catch the meaning. She just blinked at Khero's retreating form and looked back to Elaros.

"Kinda prickly, huh?"

DaGlobster

Elaros gave Khero a look that said "I know, sheesh," and he watched her leave. He assumed that she was going to give Niamh some of her own clothes, so he didn't really ask her where she was going to get them.

He looked to Niamh, and chuckled at her comment.

"She means well."

Rhindeer

Niamh nibbled at her biscuit slowly, just to get something in her belly. She didn't feel hungry, but it had been a day, at least, since she'd eaten so she knew she needed it. She still felt very awkward being here, like she was intruding--and besides, she really shouldn't be here, in a den of heathens and excess. It was wrong to associate with such people.

But it wasn't like she could just leave in her state. Just keep swallowing that pride...

"So, er...who is she, anyway? Your friend or slave or...?"

Tags: