Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Hand We're Dealt [Lion] [M]

Started by DragonSong, January 13, 2016, 02:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

She wasn't exactly thrilled to be fighting in front of people, but...

Yvaine was nothing if not resourceful. Darting forward, she easily scored a touch on her unprepared brother's chest, twisting out of his way and dancing back into her guard stance.

Lion

Her brother glared stupidly until she touched his chest and he sputtered.  Only then did he step forward and swing his sword.  He didn't expect the response she had and clearly didn't remember that she was much better than he thought. They exchanged blades for a time until he stepped back, relenting, out of breath.

"Yvaine!?' he panted. "Who taught you to fight like that?"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

Her eyes flickered to Maxxen.

"Lucius," she said with a shrug, out of breath herself. Fighting in skirts was hard. "Don't you remember. Of course, I may have found a new sparing partner recently."

Lion

"Y-you!?  But that's preposterous?  Why train a woman?" Lucius laughed, setting the blade off to Emile, who took care to keep the point away from him.

Maxxen shrugged. "Frankly, if anything, it was for a moment like this."  he chuckled and stepped in beside Yvaine. "She's a remarkable student. And a quick study. Intelligence like that is often wasted."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

None of her brothers seemed to quite know how to respond, exchanging glances with each other. Yvaine leaned into Maxx's side for just a moment, feeling just a tad smug.

"Well, this was lovely," she said breezily, "but Mother will be wondering where we've gone off to."

Lion

"Perhaps," Maxxen agreed, as did her brothers. But it didn't seem like either of them were interested in going back inside.  So the two others played at their sword art and cursed and pointed each other, Maxxen was content to let them do was they pleased.

He offered his arm to Yvaine and wandered back inside, the living room now scarce of anyone save the servant that was cleaning up their drinks.  "Sorry about that Yvaine," he murmured, grinning gently.  "I just love to watch your brothers squirm though. Frankly, it tickles me."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Yvaine gave a rather unladylike snort and shook her head at him. "You are a wicked, wicked man," she chuckled, eyes glinting playfully.

Lion

"So, do you really want to spend the rest of your life, caught up in all this? Letting other people tell you what to do?"  He was curious but he didn't mean it to be a baited question.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Yvaine sighed. "I never said that," she murmured. "What choice do I have, Maxx? It's not like I could just...leave, or change anything."

Lion

"What if you could? Where you go? What would you do?" he asked, walking along with her. "Things are different now. People are no longer bound by the rules that kept them chained up all these years. People are fighting for what they believe in, making a life for themselves. Or losing it in someone else's cause."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

She blinked, not sure if she entirely grasped what he was getting at. "But- but what would I do? I don't have any practical skill, Maxxen, how could I fend for myself?" she laughed, a little bitterly.

Lion

"True enough. And please, don't assume I'm trying to push you into doing something you are unprepared for," Maxxen replied. "But how about an adventure. Let's get away from here.  We'll go for a trip into the woods. Just a couple of days. Get a feel for freedom, and decide for yourself what it is you want to do."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Yvaine tugged at a lock of hair, biting her lip as she blinked rather round eyes at him. "I... Just a few days?"

She couldn't hide how much the idea intrigued her- her voice shook with poorly contained, illicit excitement and she flushed, glancing away.

Lion

He chuckled. "Just a few days.  We'll take some time to find out if it's the life you want.  Then we come back," he nodded to her.  "As it is. It's come just about to that time that I should probably take my leave, my lady."

Maxxen took her hand gently in his and kissed the back of it. "Tomorrow.  If you can steal away, we'll travel out to the country side.  I've got a horse and wagon. But only if you can."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Yvaine stared at him for a moment, still sort of trying to process what she'd just agreed to. "Yes. Tomorrow. Can I meet you in the gardens?" she suggested quietly.

Lion

"I will meet you there. What time?" he said softly.  "Evening? Morning?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"Morning. I can sneak out before my parents or brothers are awake," Yvaine answered, lowering her voice unconsciously.

Lion

"Then let the morning be filled with new opportunity," Maxxen grinned as he leaned in and kissed her gently on the cheek once again. "Have a good evening, Yvaine."  He departed quickly and quietly before it could be noticed by anyone else.

He had some things to prepare first, and supplies enough for a few days to last within the wilds was one of them.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"Tomorrow then," she murmured, flushed slightly with excitement as she waved him farewell.

Lion

It was still dark by the time Maxxen found his way back to Devereaux manor, and he made sure to pull around the rear, stopping the carriage short, pulling snugly on the reins.  He stepped off and moved toward the garden wall, petting the horse and giving him a treat to keep him occupied.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn