Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Hand We're Dealt [Lion] [M]

Started by DragonSong, January 13, 2016, 02:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Yvaine spent the hours between Maxxen's departure and re-arrival in a strange state of emotional limbo, interacting with her family and going about her daily tasks as usual while her mind was worlds away.

She hardly slept, and when she heard the sound of a carriage approaching the manner she practically jumped from her bed, snatching up the small pack she'd stashed beneath her bed and making her way quickly and quietly to the gardens.

She felt...off. She was dressed in a long tunic and a pair of breeches "borrowed" from one of her maids- not at all her usual style, and it felt odd to move in. Much freer than skirts, certainly, but also more vulnerable, somehow.

Shaking the feeling off, she slipped out into the gardens, eyes flickering back and forth in the dim light.

Lion

At the sound of approaching footsteps, Maxxen grew vaguely alarmed. As far as he was aware no one else had seen him, and he climbed over the wall, feet and hands clasping between rounded stones, and he vaulted over until he landed in the bushes.

And heard it again.  And a figure closer to him now. "Yvaine?"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

"Maxx?" She flinched slightly at her own caution; who else would be here so early, calling her name? Shaking herself, she took a few wary steps closer until the shadowy figure solidified into Maxxen.

Lion

Maxxen saw her at last in the dim gloom, and gently touched her hand. "I'm here. Right on time I hope?"  He chuckled and leaned in to kiss her cheek.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

Yvaine started slightly when he touched her hand, ten relaxed, nodding and smiling softly. Nerves fluttered in her stomach and she took a breath.

"Yes, just on time, I believe... A-are we going?"

Lion

"We are. Are you ready? If you've changed your mind, I won't begrudge you for it," Maxxen murmured.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"No." She shook her head firmly. "No, I've made my decision. I want to go." She tried for a confident smile. "After you, Ser."

Lion

Maxxen moved behind her to bend down and vault her up and over the wall and he followed her soon after. There the carriage was waiting for them and the horse looked up to glance curiously at Yvaine, nickering quietly.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

With a soft huff of breath, Yvaine got her feet back under her and moved cautiously toward the carriage. She offered the horse her hand and patted his muzzle, then glanced back at Maxx for a moment.

Biting her lip, she climbed into the carriage, her hands fisting in the loose fabric of her tunic.

Lion

Maxxen was quick and quiet in his departure, and as the carriage rolled away, so did the feeling of anxiety. There was no certainty that they would make it out of the city, but he would take his chances.  And just being on the outskirts would give them an opportunity to return whenever Yvaine felt the need to do so.

Once they were at the gate, Maxxen bribed the guard and they were easily let through.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Yvaine could do little more than wait anxiously in the carriage, nerves too present to even really offer up conversation as she watched the city pass by, then eventually give way through the gate out the window.

Lion

Once they were outside the gate, Maxxen too visibly relaxed. "It's okay. You can breathe now," he suggested, whispering into her ear as he turned the horse into a path off the main road a mile down from the city. 

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

A breathless sort of chuckle slipped out of her and she forced herself to take a few deep breaths.

"We really did it," she murmured wonderingly, eyes flicking over the landscape that passed to either side.

Lion

"Just for a few days," Maxxen said as he pulled the cart to a halt and slipped out.  He helped her down before moving on to the back and pulling out bedrolls and a pack filled with clothes, and his old sword which he promptly strapped to his waist. 

A smile flicked toward her. "You'll like it. I promise. It won't be easy, but it'll at least give you a taste of a life you've never had before," he said.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Yvaine gripped his shoulders gently as he helped her down, then moved to help him. Despite the nervous fluttering of her stomach, she couldn't seem to stop smiling.

"Maxx." She reached out to touch his shoulder, turning him gently to face her. Then she beamed, and leaned in for a quick, fierce kiss. "Thank you."

Lion

"And just what are you thanking me for, Miss Yvaine?" he chuckled. Maxxen Lear was as ever an easy going man, and he leaned into that kiss with ease for the sheer pressure of it was intoxicating. "I dunno if that kiss will be enough thanks. Inflation dear. The price has since gone up to two kisses."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

She chuckled and pecked his lips again, feeling giddy with ill-begotten freedom. "It's thanks for showing me I could...do more. Be more." Her eyes glinted happily at him.

Lion

The toll had been paid. It wouldn't exactly be fair to raise it again. And Maxxen didn't feel like digging rocks out of his butt cheeks.

"You're most welcome my dear. Now we haven't even gotten through the thick of it yet," he explained. "I'll teach you what I can. But the hardest is part is shaking the longing for home."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"Ah." She glanced back over her shoulder. "I suppose..." She shook herself and looked back to him. "Well. I follow your lead, then."

Tags: