Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Bridge to Sanctuary [Closed]

Started by Juno, January 20, 2016, 08:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

His explanation of law and humans owning land within what she saw as "his" territory was baffling. It was a little concerning, too. Did that mean she had no right to stay in the woods if he did not "own" it? She hoped that wasn't the case if he didn't already have a problem with it.

She perked up a bit at his suggestion, though, the idea of a garden never coming to mind as a possibility before. Somehow she hadn't thought it necessary with all that the humans seemed to have, but now that it was so obvious she would not be able to rely on their supply it definitely had her interest.

"I could...grow one?" Vivian eyed him suspiciously, somehow feeling like he'd misspoken. It was his land, or his territory at least, and while she understood his invitation to be for however long was necessary even simple plants would take time to grow. Likely for the same reasons as the humans she had no desire to make the effort for one out in the open in the woods, though. Everything would probably be eaten before it even had a chance to sprout from the ground without any semblance of shelter.

"Would you, um, maybe have the space for a small plot? Near your home?" The she-wolf fussed at her lip anxiously, feeling like she was overstepping boundaries even asking such a thing. "Nothing grows well if it isn't protected," she offered in quiet explanation.

Zero

It would be very complicated for Wolfram to try to explain the differences between ownership in town and ownership outside of town. The humans didn't own the woods, held no claim over it by the laws of humans, and so he was free to claim the forest as a wolf since human laws need not apply, but within town he had to follow the same rules as anyone else - least he find himself in trouble and exposed.

"Well yeah, I don't think it's that hard to grow a garden, but I wouldn't know first hand." What did Wolfram know of growing things? His was a mind of metal and fire. It really didn't click for him why she might be doubtful of growing one.

At least until she asked if he had room for a small plot near the house. He hadn't thought of that. Deer, rabbits, and other pests would have a free-for-all on a garden in the forest. Wolfram stopped and folded his arms across his broad chest, scowling in thought for a few moments as he turned the idea over in his head.

They were sharing the territory now - for now. "I guess it wouldn't hurt to put a garden around the house. It would take me a few days to build some fences to keep the vermin out, but it's doable, yeah."

Juno

Vivien paused in her steps as well, slowly backing up to stand at his side and peer up at him curiously. It was a little unnerving when he didn't answer with an immediate, enthusiastic "Yes!" but she assumed it was good that he was at least taking the time to decide rather than shut down the suggestion altogether.

His offer to build fences for it surprised her, eyes dilating as she shook her head with a nervous bark of laughter. Nice as it was in gesture, she couldn't afford to be indebted to him any more than she already was for his kindness. Or pity, whatever it was that had been enough for him to let her stay. Even if he had no intention of charging her, Vivien was confident that everything came at a price.

"Thank you, but, um... That's not necessary, I can do it," she insisted gently, not wanting to be too firm about it to try to avoid insulting him if he truly had his mind set on it. "There's plenty of branches I can drag up from the forest if you'd show me where I can make one. I didn't mean to take up your time with it."

She offered a self-deprecating smile and glanced between him and what she knew to be his home further down the road a few times. Part of her wanted to lead the way but another felt it would be more polite to wait for Wolfram to decide when he was ready to move along, and so she did.

Zero

"Have you ever built a fence before?" Wolfram asked with an arched brow, he'd seen her glance back towards the forge and sighed as he started walking again. If they were going to have a garden, especially one near his house, then he intended to make a proper one with proper fences. "It isn't as simple as dragging some tree branches from the woods and piling them up to make a barrier."

He wasn't sure he wanted to let her use his tools either. What if she hurt herself? They barely knew each other and this arrangement was temporary, but Wolfram still felt responsible for Vivien. He needed to make sure she was taken care of and safe.

Building the fence would just be a way to actually do something to take care of her. Plus it would keep her out of trouble with the humans. Keeping her out of trouble would just save him a lot of trouble and headaches. "Look, I would rather it get done right, especially since it is going to be next to the forge. Other than the time to build it, a fence isn't really that much trouble."

Juno

Without even realizing it she narrowed her eyes and wrinkled her nose at his dismissal of her idea. She couldn't really see it being much more difficult than she'd imagined. How could such a thing be much more than aligning some sturdy, trimmed branches and binding them tight? Perhaps crafting a gate would be a bit tricky but none of the neighbors in town seemed to have anything particularly fancy, just fences that seemed well-used and patched up hundreds of times.

"I've never built one myself before. I've seen it done, but I wasn't going to just throw things together, I was going build something properly with the wood and...twine, or whatever it is you use. I think I could do a good job, but... It's your land, Wolfram," Vivien conceded with a shrug as she walked along with him as evenly as she could manage, feeling it best to not argue with him about something being built on his property. It was fair that he wanted to see the actual building done to his standards.

"Could I at least help you? I could gather wood or help with cutting pieces at least, couldn't I?" she tried again, unable to resist the strong desire to show that she could be useful. "Or...anything you need help with. I could save you some time, there's no point in you doing all the work yourself for something you don't even want."

She frowned some at that thought. Why would he be so picky if it wasn't even something he needed? It could have very easily been her little project and very well might have taken her a good while to build something. Perhaps, she assumed, Wolfram was the type of person that needed control over everything. Those sorts seemed to like doing things alone, and seeing his solitary life and home made her feel like that might not be too far off the mark. Yet he didn't seem to have planned to be alone with what he'd told her before.

Zero

It had never been the intention to imply that she was incapable of building a fence. Wolfram wasn't convinced she could build one that was strong enough to satisfy him, of course, but it wasn't that he didn't think she could build a fence.

"Yeah, you can help. It's work being done mostly for your benefit, but I want to make sure it is done right. Besides, the garden was my idea even if it is for you." Yeah, he maybe shouldn't have put the idea in her head if he wasn't willing to follow through. That was just the way it was. He'd opened his mouth and now he had to see it through. "If it is going next to the forge I want it to look good and professional."

Humans put a lot of emphasis on appearances. It was going to be the strongest, best fence in town if Wolfram had anything to say about it.

Sighing, they had come to the house by now, he turned to her with a frown. "Look, I know that you don't really understand all the human stuff that goes with the town, but try to stay out of trouble. Believe it or not I would rather you not get yourself killed while you're staying here."

Juno

Relieved that she wasn’t going to be kept away from the project entirely Vivien calmed the combative tension that threatened to eek into her voice. She wasn’t really sure what a “professional” fence would look like but she was determined to help make one if that was what it took for him to be happy with it.

His warning was a little worrisome, though. She hadn’t known that taking from the gardens of the town’s other residents would have bothered them so much but it worried her even more that getting herself killed wasn’t entirely out of the realm of possibility in Wolfram’s mind. “I’m sorry. I’ll try to be better,” she promised, hanging her head slightly in shame, scowling in frustration with her own ignorance about the human laws.

“I’ll just watch them until I learn enough, I don’t think they like me very much anyway.” Vivien sighed and tilted her head to eye his home and forge before looking out thoughtfully at the darker woods beyond. “Do you have an axe I can borrow? I can start cutting wood at least. Then we can start whenever you’re ready.”

Zero

The odds of being killed for stealing vegetables or herbs were relatively low, but it would depend on how much she took and who caught her. Of course she was a wolf and could probably have defended herself from any physical attack posed by a human, but that would only raise more problems. She looked like a normal human female, except for the limp, which made her look even weaker. If she could fend off a grown man, well it would make them ask questions.

Questions Wolfram really didn't need to try to answer.

"Not right now they don't like you much." Well she had stolen from them, even if she hadn't known it was wrong at the time. Hopefully she had learned her lesson and it wouldn't be a problem again. With any luck, there wouldn't be other problems popping up from her lack of understanding of human behaviors.

"Yeah, I can let you borrow an axe. Come on." He made a beckoning motion and headed into the forge. Wolfram went right to where his wood axe was hanging on the wall and carefully lifted it down. It was heavy, but she could probably use it fine. Turning to her, he offered it out with a small frown. "It's really sharp, so be careful with it. Try to cut trees that are straight and about the same size. I don't want it looking all lopsided or crooked."

A brief pause and he eyed her again. "And don't overdo it. I don't want you hurting yourself or wearing yourself completely out cutting some dumb trees."

Juno

Vivien followed him easily, frowning thoughtfully as she reflected on the humans more. Surely they would like her better once they understood how she could help them. Someday. Eventually.

Studying the axe she took it firmly in both hands and let its weight rest in her palms for a moment before grasping the handle steadily with one hand and lowering it to hang at her side, not wanting to appear careless with his belongings he was letting her borrow.

"Got it. Straight trees, no dumb trees, no hurting myself," she repeated with a small smile and slightly teasing glint in her eyes before cocking her head to look down at the axe again. The shewolf wasn't quite ready to head out, though, lingering and adjusting her weight from foot to foot. It had been a few days since she'd seen him after all and she realized the loneliness of the woods was starting to get to her when she was suddenly craving idle conversation.

"Did you make this yourself?" she finally blurted out after what was probably an awkwardly long stretch of silence. It seemed like something a blacksmith would make, at least the metal head if a woodworker shaped the handle.

Zero

Most of Wolfram's anger and annoyance had already melted away. Yes, the little she-wolf had caused a problem for him, but despite the cost to him, it was mostly resolved with the humans. Nobody was hurt, which was all that really mattered. Besides, Vivien wasn't really aware of human rules and ways. He couldn't be too angry with her for not knowing better. Ignorance wasn't a good excuse, though, so he'd have to make sure she worked on that.

"Ha, you're funny." He grumped at the joke, but did smirk a little. Well that was what he'd said. It felt odd, was that really teasing? Were they teasing each other now? Wolfram didn't know at what level of comfort or familiarity with someone was required for that. Was there even a requirement?

All this socializing was giving him a headache, but only because he was severely over-thinking it.

"Yes, I did. Well, I made the axe part. The carpenter that owns the saw mill made the handle for me, and in return I fixed a saw blade he'd broken." Wolfram shifted on his feet a little, unconsciously mimicking her. She had the axe she'd asked to borrow; he wasn't sure why she didn't leave. Surely it was not because she wanted to spend time with him. He was not exactly great company, and he knew it.

"Aside from the trouble with the townsfolk I was glad to see you today." He blurted out, not really knowing what to do or say next, but desperate to say something. "You're looking better."

Vivien did look better. She'd been a mess the first time he'd seen her; dirty, too skinny, and worn out. Well, she was still too skinny, but she did look better, more energetic and less haggard or hunted. That made him a little pleased. Being here was helping her, and for some reason that made him a little happy and proud – even if she was causing trouble and work for him.

Juno

She smiled thoughtfully at his explanation, another trade interaction with humans. It was interesting hearing about a direct transaction, a mutually-beneficial agreement or trading favors she supposed. Her pack -well, she supposed she couldn't really call it her pack anymore- hadn't really practiced such a thing. You did what you could for the good of the pack, sometimes things were used and sometimes things were sold or traded away.

Besides the odd injury that needed immediate stitching and care for the sake of convenience she'd never really done such a thing for another that she lived near. And anything she'd done had hardly ever been repaid besides being left to a peaceful existence.

He voiced the very things she realized she'd been thinking, not knowing how to express them without seeming a little desperate for companionship. They didn't truly need each other after all, at least to exist. But was it okay that she was actually enjoying it? They were social creatures after all, meant to be around others like them.

"I'm glad we got to meet again," she agreed, looking down at herself briefly but not really seeing the subtle changes that were apparent to him, not realizing most of it was through attitude. She was less of a frightened deer now. Instead she was more relaxed, settled in, and feeling much safer than before. But with her eyes... She only saw her same old self: small and weak with hands and arms scratched and covered with a thin layer of dirt. To be fair, that was her own doing this time from digging through all the gardens around town.

"You look better, too," she finally offered with a lopsided smile, chuckling under her breath as she lifted her free hand to tap at her own forehead. She creased her brow in a mock-scowl before relaxing with a small laugh. "Not as tense here, makes you look a lot less like a grumpy old wolf. I-" Vivien winced, realizing what she'd been about to say and hanging her head in shame. She didn't want to upset him, but was it better to just be honest?

"I was a little nervous about coming up here again. To see you, I mean. I thought you wouldn't want to be bothered," she admitted, still shifting about nervously as she braced for whatever insult he might take for that.

"I feel like I was a bother before," she clarified, though that was entirely her own self-projection. "And I did it again today. I'll try to do better with that. Thank you for being patient and not just telling me to leave." That was probably her biggest worry at the moment, after all. While improving she was still in no state to leave just yet.

Zero

What did she mean he looked better? It had been only a few days and he knew that nothing had really changed about his day-to-day habits. Wolfram's brow furrowed softly as he thought about it, ironically causing the very tense expression Vivien had just claimed to have improved. Did he normally look like a grumpy old wolf?

His frown only deepened when she admitted to being nervous about seeing him. Was he really that off-putting? He sighed and ran a hand through his hair as she kept talking. Maybe he deserved that kind of assessment.

She hadn't exactly been greeted warmly.

"I'm sorry for being...me. I guess. When you showed up I really didn't know how to react, but obviously not well." Wolfram tried to relax, the tension was part of the problem, wasn't it? "You're really not that much of a bother. Having another wolf here is actually kind of...nice."

Even if she was staying out in the woods alone. Just being able to smell Vivien around his home was soothing. There was another wolf, he wasn't all by himself.

"I think part of the problem is just not knowing each other very well." Yeah, that was painfully obvious. "We should, ah, spend time together? You know, get to know each other so that there aren't unpleasant surprises like today."

Not to mention the company would probably do them both some good.

Juno

Vivien frowned slightly at the reminder that she'd been an "unpleasant surprise" but she didn't blame Wolfram for that. It was definitely true and definitely her fault for causing him trouble without asking him about it first.

"Well this is a start isn't it?" She lifted the axe casually in gesture, certain that fence-building would give them some time to get used one another. Though, the more she thought on it the more she realized he could have meant it in ways that weren't for a specific purpose. How strange. She'd never really been someone her previous packs wanted to be around more than necessary, but she was just as starved of companionship and wasn't about to reject the idea.

"Or did you mean more like the other day? Um, just sitting together to talk?" She hesitated, almost offering to hunt with him. Unfortunately she still felt a bit wary of sharing such a thing as wolves where she was much more vulnerable and they couldn't yet communicate easily.

Zero

Wolfram was ready to chalk the whole morning up to a learning experience. Vivien had learned the concepts of human ownership and theft while he had learned that his new lupine companion was severely lacking in such understandings of human behavior and societal structure. Now they both knew better. He'd have to keep a better eye on her and make sure she was learning how to act around the humans, and hopefully she wouldn't steal anymore.

"Yeah, that's a start, I suppose." Working together towards a common goal was always a good way to bond with someone and get to know them. Right? Of course she went on to hit the nail closer on the head to what he'd meant. "Talking is a good way of getting to know each other. Probably one of the most direct ways, anyway."

Or was it?

Hell, Wolfram didn't know. He ran a hand through his hair, fidgeting nervously. This was all still so strange to him. Still, it was for the best that he become on good terms with her since they were going to be living in close proximity for an unknown length of time. "Maybe we should agree to meet and speak at least every other day, just to check on how we're both...adjusting."

Juno

Vivien tilted her head slightly to one side, watching his fidgeting with interest. It was strange for her to see a wolf actually seem nervous around her of all people; she didn't think she was at all intimidating for their kind but she realized after a moment his behavior was more for his own inexperience rather than anything she was doing. He had his own territory and his life seemed relatively stable. It seemed like the perfect situation to be confident in, but he was missing something to get him there.

"That's a good idea. I'll try to stop by more often, then," she agreed, eyes crinkling slightly with a smile for his choice of words. Adjusting. Despite her social shortcomings she already felt relatively well-adjusted. She'd carved out a spot for herself in the woods and was already fairly familiar with his territory and the wild plants within it. Truly, though, she still had much to learn before she would really be comfortable with the workings of life among humans and in tandem with a new wolf.

She turned to look out at the trees beyond his forge again, uncertain how long it might take her to gather all that they would need but feeling better about returning after having a chance to speak with him again.

"I should get back out there," she reminded him, tightening her grip on the axe and eyeing the space for it on the wall to remind herself of where to replace it later. She was aware of the fact that she'd been the one to distract herself with talking but... It had been a good conversation. Productive, too.

"I'll let you know when I'm done and then- Well I guess we can start whenever you have the time for it. Thanks again," she bid him, finally moving forward to walk past him and back into the forest so she could gather what they needed without stripping the land nearest his home of its trees.