Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Bibliophiles Unite!

Started by Zero, January 28, 2016, 07:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

It's just how things are.

It wasn't as if Keiran didn't know, he was fully, sometimes painfully, aware of how the world worked. He was bound by rigid societal expectations. The pressures of being the son of an influential lord were immense and inescapable, after all. Occasionally the young noble found it all unbearably suffocating, but expressing such discontent was unthinkable. He had a duty to uphold the honor of his family and he could not accomplish his responsibilities while showing such faulty emotions.

"I...see." There was a brief moment of hesitation, where that carefully sculpted mask of assurance slipped, before Keiran cleared his throat and went on more confidently. "Yes, I understand. It must all seem overwhelming, and I am sorry if I have made you uncomfortable. I assure you that is not at all what I want."

It was then he realized that their hands were still touching and he released hers with a soft, sheepish smile. "I have been so kind to you because you are a kind and extraordinary person, Miss Lyssa."

DragonSong

Dear gods.

She really had a talent for putting her foot in her mouth, didn't she? All his compliments aside, she couldn't help feeling foolish.

"Keiran."

Before she could second guess herself, she took his hands back in hers and smiled up at him gently, giving his fingers a soft squeeze. "You haven't made me uncomfortable. Really. I'm just...a little overwhelmed, is all. I'll get used to it."

A soft blush dusted her cheeks once again and she cleared her throat as she drew her hands back, adding quietly, "And...thank you. For the compliment that I still think is a little undeserved--" she smiled wryly-- "and for...well. Just for being kind, I suppose. Thank you."

Zero

"You never have to thank me for kindness, everyone is deserving of that." At least until they proved otherwise. Even when people did prove unworthy of being shown kindness Keiran hated being pushed to forcefulness – with words or actions. His elder brother was the one for bold, brash force and impulsive decisions; it didn't suit the youngest Fairhall in the slightest.

Keiran found himself at a lost once again, unsure what to do next. "Was there anything else you wanted to see? You have seen the entrance hall, but we could find an unoccupied room so that you could see what you can expect if you decide to live on campus?"

DragonSong

“Oh. Um...”

Lyssa bit her lip and glanced around the hall, then back to Keiran. “Is that...alright?” She couldn’t deny she was curious about this place where she might be living, but she certainly didn’t want to intrude In other people’s lives.

Well. More than she already had.

Zero

"Of course it is alright, why would it not be?" For a moment Keiran didn't understand, but then he realized what she might think he had meant. "Oh, yes. I mean a vacant room, one that no one is currently living in. We would not go into someone's room while they were not present and inviting us, of course!"

That would be beyond rude and certainly an intrusion on the occupant's privacy. He cleared his throat and gestured to the staircase. "There are empty rooms on the second floor, near the end of the hall, I believe."

Keiran gently led her up the staircase and down the hall. All the doors held little plaques stating the name of the occupant. He found one with no nameplate and sure enough the handle turned easily. It was unlocked and the door swung open to reveal a spacious room with rose wallpaper. The center of the room sported a large canopy bed with quilted comforters matching the wall and a large wooden wardrobe and matching dresser with a large mirror nestled against the wall. A pair of double glass doors led onto a small balcony.

"These rooms are honestly quite modest in their most basic state. Each occupant obviously adds their own touch to make it homier." Keiran mused, glancing around as he glided inside without a care that someone might disapprove.

DragonSong

Quite modest.

Good grief.

Eyes very wide, Lyssa took a cautious step after Keiran into the room, looking around with something approaching wonder. The room she rented at her lodging house was half this size, at most, and she certainly didn't have her own balcony!

"It's lovely," she murmured, turning in a small circle. "How many rooms like this are on campus?" Almost as soon as she'd asked the question she blushed a bit and cleared her throat. "I mean...do you suppose? It's hard to believe even so grand a place could support as many students as attend in such fine quarters."

Zero

Keiran tiled his head, tapping his chin thoughtfully at the question. "Well I believe there are around four hundred rooms, split evenly between male and female housing. You must understand that a number of students do live off campus as well, in private family homes here in Arca, for those that have them. Also, most students do not spend more than a couple years attending college here. Most have private tutors to help them in their own homes all over the country. I have attended for what is considered an unusually long time."

Dropping his hand he smiled at her. "You have to understand, many of the students do not have significant magical potential. They attend for culture and socializing, for meeting other young people of high social standing. Most students are more interested in finding potential spouses than learning the arcane arts, which is also why their stay is so short. They go home to get married and begin their duties as members of the nobility."

DragonSong

Lyssa suddenly found herself frowning, head tilted slightly to the side as she listened to him. "That seems...rather boring," she murmured without thinking. "Why come to a place like this unless you wanted to really learn? Gods, if I had the option I'd never leave."

Zero

Keiran wasn't offended, in fact he actually laughed softly. "Agreed. If I had my way I would probably spend the rest of my days with my nose firmly stuck in a book. My father has indulged my love for scholarly study an abnormally long time, but I know the reasons. Sadly it will not last forever, but I enjoy it while I can. Even when I must return to Ravensway, our family does have a nice library, and I can continue my research in my spare time."

He knew it would be considerably less spare time, because he would be expected to marry and father children, when not helping Conrad manage the affairs of the house. It was not a bad life, and Keiran knew he should be less obstinate about putting off the whole thing.

Those were thoughts to contemplate another time.

"I am not sure what else you might wish to see, but I also would not wish to keep you so long you become late for your work." She wouldn't have to work in the other library once she was a student, but her enrollment hadn't been ensured yet.

DragonSong

"Oh!" Lyssa's eyes widened slightly and she raised a hand to her mouth. "Oh no, I completely forgot-- I just got so distracted--"

With a nervous chuckle she wrung her hands in her skirt, glancing back to the door. "Oh, I'm so sorry, Keiran. I got so excited about today, I completley forgot to be keeping track of the time! I should-- I should go, I'm truly very sorry."

Zero

That was not quite the reaction he was expecting. Well he thought she might be worried about the time at being reminded, but Lyssa seemed slightly over anxious. Keiran felt like it probably was his fault in some way. Maybe bringing her to this dorm was a bit overwhelming. She had never lived in a place like this, after all and here he was trying to talk her into it.

"No, no, it is quite alright. I understand completely, you must not slack on your duties, of course." The young lord hesitated a moment, a brief look of self-doubt clouding his face. "Would it be alright if I visited you later at the library? If I get news from my father, that is, I would like to share it with you."

DragonSong

"Oh, of course!" Lyssa beamed up at him. She was still fidgeting a bit with nervous energy, anxious to be on her way so she wouldn't wind up any later than she already was for her shift. "I'd like that very much, Keiran. Thank you."

She hesitated a moment, then reached out to grip his hand gently, giving it a quick squeeze before she stepped back with another smile. "Really. For everything. Thank you."

Zero

Keiran was surprised for only a moment when Lyssa grabbed his hand, but quickly recovered with a brilliant smile as he felt that brief squeeze. It was so odd, how familiar with him she had become. A noble lady would probably not have simply taken his hand like that. It was endearingly pleasant, though.

"I shall see you this evening, then. Please do have a lovely rest of the day, Lyssa."

It was past dusk when Keiran slipped into the public library to the sound of the little jingling bell. He tried to hold to his usual neutral-but-pleasant expression, but there was a faint crease to his brow that suggested something was bothering him. The fact that he lingered by the door, simply standing there and staring thoughtfully at nothing in particular was probably another sign that his mind was troubled.

DragonSong

Lyssa was in for an earful and a half when she turned up late for her shift, but since it was her first transgression-- and she was by all other accounts a model employee, according to the head librarian-- she was let off with a warning.

So she threw herself into her work, and she was so involved with her tasks that she didn't actually notice Keiran's arrival, at least until she was sent to clean the bell on the door that alerted of a new customer and caught sight of him lingering. "Oh!"

Smiling, she moved toward him. But once she got closer, she noticed the...odd expression he wore, and her steps grew a little hesitant. "Um, Keiran? Are you alright?"

Zero

The young lord actually jumped slightly when Lyssa spoke to him, as if he hadn't realized the librarian was approaching him until she was right there in front of him. Keiran immediately flushed and tried to recover, a somewhat subdued and sheepish smile replacing the worried brow.

"No, no...I mean, yes. I am fine." He couldn't help the frown that tugged at his lips as he heard himself fumbling over his speech. It was very unlike him to struggle to speak eloquently. Whatever the strange phenomena, it only seemed to happen when speaking with Lyssa. It was very peculiar! Keiran didn't have the time or energy to devout to that line of thinking.

"I trust your day has been mostly well? I do apologize for over keeping you this morning." He did truly look contrite as he apologized!

DragonSong

"Oh, that's not your fault!" She waved him off quickly, offering a bright smile. He still seemed a little...off, but she didn't want to push it, chance making him uncomfortable. "I should have been paying more attention. I was just so caught up in-- well, everything."

She chuckled a little sheepishly and twisted at a lock of her hair, chewing lightly at her lower lip. "Could I help you with anything? Or...are you just here for a social visit?"

Zero

"Yes, but I could have reminded you of the time, or not insisted on showing you so much when you were pressed for time." Keiran let his voice trail off as he simply looked down at Lyssa and observed her with vested interest. His eyes followed the movement of her fingers as she played with her hair and chew on her lower lip. They were such simple actions, and yet for some reason it made his heart skip curiously.

"Ah, well you did say it would be alright if I came to see you here this evening, so I suppose this is somewhat of a social visit?" He would not object at all to spending time with Lyssa socially outside of the library or tours of campus on a crunched time frame.

Keiran cleared his throat and glanced away, smiling somewhat. "I did have news, of course. Father has agreed to sponsor you, pending your agreement to sign a contract to work for the family once you've finished your studies. He is prepared to make you a rather fair offer, six months of employment with the family for each year you spend at the college. So if you study for two years, you would come to Ravensway and work in our library for a year keeping our personal collection well maintained."

That was all good news as far as the young lord was concerned, but that was not all there had been in the letter. It was the rest that had thrown him off his normally very composed course.

DragonSong

Lyssa's eye widened. Her jaw dropped.

Then she sprang forward, wrapping her arms around the young lord exuberantly with a sharp little squeak that might have been "oh gods!" or possibly just "eek!"

She pulled away quickly, seeming to suddenly realize what she'd been doing judging by the color to her cheeks, but she couldn't stop smiling. "Oh, Keiran, thank you, thank you so much!" She pressed her hands to her mouth, beaming.

Unable to keep the excited energy internal, she laughed and spun on her heel, her skirt flaring out around her. The other librarian on duty looked up from her desk and hissed "Shh!."

Lyssa winced and froze, then offered a sheepish, blushy smile to Keiran. "Um, come on. We can talk outside." She reached to take his hand without thinking, pulling him toward the door so they could slip around to the side of the building.

Zero

That was a very enthusiastic response! Keiran's eyes went wide as the young mage threw her arms around him in an excited hug. It was too shocking and too brief for him to really respond. A moment later she had pulled away, blushing and thanking him. All he could manage to do was smile, his own fact a little warm, and sputter out a quick, "You're welcome."

It made his heart do funny things in his chest, watching her laugh and spin around with just how happy and excited she was. Keiran struggled to believe that he could have done something to make anyone so happy, let alone such a sweet young woman.

They were quickly reminded that they were in a library, the other librarian hushing them. That caused his face to get even hotter. He was disrupting Lyssa's workplace. It was such inconsiderate behavior on his part. Embarrassment welled up inside of him, but he couldn't really be brought down in that moment. Keiran was still smiling bashfully as she grabbed his hand and pulled him back out of the library and towards the side of the building.

"Is it alright for us to just leave the building? I would hate to cause you more trouble with work today." After all, he had already made her late!

DragonSong

Lyssa shook her head. She just couldn't stop smiling. "No, that's alright. Moira's a bit crotchety, but we aren't busy, she won't mind watching the front desk for a few minutes."

Once they were out of sight of the main street, she leaned back against the wall of the library. Her hands were shaking slightly-- some combination of nerves and excitement, she assumed-- as she raised them to cover her face.

She took a deep breath, then dropped her hands again, fidgeting a bit. "Keiran, I-- I don't know what to say. I don't know how to thank you for this." Her eyes were suspiciously over-bright, and then she was leaning forward again, wrapping her arms around him and holding tight.

It was less exuberant than the first embrace, though warmer. She let the hug last a few moments, though she was prepared to pull back at the first sign of discomfort on his part.