Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Isabeau and the Stowaway (Dragonsong)

Started by Whim, January 31, 2016, 12:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

Ewan had enough of the pirates roughhousing. And with the rum delivered, he padded over to Isabeau who was examining a cracked mirror. The boy skirted around the glass dust, though months of traveling barefoot had toughened his feet to shoe-leather.

"I'll clean it up in a minute," Ewan sighed, but then paused and stood on his tip-toes for a better look. "Wait. Crag said someone was using a signal mirror..."
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

DragonSong

She sighed, shaking her head. "I know," she murmured. Handing the glass over, she said softly, "Think you can fix it?" A very rough plan was forming in her mind.

Whim

"Besides effectively being some dirty little dockrat without my book, I don't do that kind of magic," Ewan shook his head. "Mine just works on living stuff. I'd need paste or glass blowing lessons to fix it."

A pensive look crossed his face, "What have you got planned?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

DragonSong

Isabeau shook her head, turning the glass over in her hands. "Don't worry you're little head about it. It's- ah!"

Distracted, her finger had slipped and opened a long, shallow cut on the broken glass. Gritting her teeth, she muttered, "Gods all damnit," as she lifted her hand away in an effort not to bleed on the mirror.

Whim

"If you got a plan maybe I can hel-- Oh!" Ewan bit his lip and dances away from the remaining bits of glass as they slid from the mirror. Dark blood oozed from the wound. It was superficial, but jagged glass never heals pretty.

The boy reached out a grubby hand with a small smile, "That I can fix. Won't make you a frog. I promise."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

She started to shake her head, muttering, "Just a scratch, it'll heal on its own-" then she paused. If she let the boy heal her, it might go a ways to repairing the damage he'd done with Neil, at least in the eyes of her crew.

She thrust her hand out with a sigh. "Alright then."

Whim

"Y-you're sure?" Ewan perked up briefly at her request, though his shoulders sagged at her reluctance. "It should be pretty simple, anyway."

A grubby hand tugged her toward the helm of the ship, and the boy began to lecture officiously. "Sorcery's just a matter of describing how the world ought to be in a language it can't ignore. Details and syntax and tone and... all that stuff are important."

"Its hard to describe how someone's innards and skin and muscle are all going to be woven together and not mess it up. Much easier to say they're just part newt," he flashed a smile. "Jagged cut ain't so hard."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

"I'll take your word for it," Isabeau muttered, arching an eyebrow. She'd always felt that her own magic was more instinctive than that, but perhaps that was just because she'd never been properly trained.

Whim

Ewan pursed his lips, unhappy his long-winded explanation was cut short. Her fingers entwined in his, he whispered a rhyming verse.

Crag gave her a cock-eyed, are you crazy? look.

"See? Its getting better!" Isabeau felt her hand tingle as the ruined skin grew and tightened. It also turned a faint shade of green....

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

The captain's eyes narrowed and she started to tug her hand back. "Ewan..." she growled dangerously, "if you turn me part lizard I swear by whatever gods you worship I will toss your tiny ass overboard."

Whim

"Hold still. You're going to ruin it!" he tugged at her hand with both of his, refusing to let go for fear of breaking the spell. The boy clutched her hand for dear life. Within seconds, the jagged cuts and scrapes from the glass simply vanished leaving smooth and supple skin in its place. Eventually, the the green faded leaving behind a pale hand -- ever so slightly mismatched from the rest of her, as though years of tanning had been undone.

"See! They're almost new!" Ewan let go and dusted his hands with smug satisfaction, "And I'm too cute to have my little ass thrown overboard."

"So you'll make them give my book back at dinner, right?" the boy looked at her hopefully, "...and maybe not run around serving rum all night?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

Isabeau huffed. "You overestimate yourself, kid."

Glancing at her hand, she shrugged. "But I suppose I'll keep you around a while longer. And yeah, I'll get your book back, don't whine."

He wasn't really, but she had to act captain-y sometimes.

Whim

"Thanks. I feel naked without it," the boy couldn't help but smile. The sun hung low in the sky and the pair sauntered down to the galley, on the tail of the rest of the crew save Tiny who took Raven's position in the crow's nest.

"So which F do you think? Floren? Farren?" Ewan whispered as they entered. Floren was seated in the usual spot amidst the crewman, looking wistful, and quietly drinking. Farren - a wiry Yoreiqi covered in tattoos, was drinking and laughing.

Ewan could see the cook angrily beckoning him. The boy sighed ans rolled his eyes.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

Isabeau had her suspicions, but she kept quiet. "None of your business," she told the boy quietly, but the customary bite to her tone was lacking. "Go on, hop to, lad," she added, nodding to the cook.

Whim

"I can help-" Ewan was cut off and was promptly yanked toward Tully. He was tasked with serving food and keeping mugs full. It involved a lot of scurrying As usual the boy bristled at being ordered about, though it made the hawkish cook ever-more demanding.

The Poison Storm was in higher spirits with its wounds licked. It was the insurmountable invasion, not the death, which set things off kilter. There were cheers and boisterous talk of raiding the fat galleons hauling goods from the jungles to Adela. No one dared mention revenge on the Mist Raiders.

"Just wanted to say," Crag slammed a heavy fist down on the table. "Been damn fine sailing with ya these past years, Floren."

Several of the men, most of whom were taught or mentored in some way by the older pirate, slurred congratulations on his 'retirement' from piracy. Floren gave a bashful smile at the accolades; he was never much for words. Eyes turned expectantly to Isabeau. Ewan met her gaze, too, but reprimand for a petty theft was sure to dampen morale (not that he cared.)

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

The captain had been practically raised by the older members of the crew. One hand went to the cracked mirror in her pocket as she gave Floren a small smile and a nod.

"To the pirate's life," she said quietly, lifting her cup. "A short one, but merry. Our Floren seems to have beaten the odds there."

Her eyes flicked to the obviously anxious Ewan and she gave him a subtle shake of her head, hoping he'd get the message. Be patient.

Whim

(Sorry for the long wait!)

The crew replied with raucous cheers. Isabueai's subdued enthusiasm lost, perhaps.  Crag poured from a blue Thanatossi liquor he'd been saving; the big man had never out drank Floren. A glass was slid to Isabeau as a courtesy. Supper went on in high spirits... they'd read Faran's Rest tomorrow -- where there'd be ample supplies, crewman, and entertainment.

Ewan scurried to the head of the table to collect plates from the ranking crewmen. He sidled beside Isabeau and asked in a hushed voice, "You didn't forget, right?"

"You can take more than three dishes at once, whelp!" squawked Tully from across the galley.

Ewan stared daggers... at both.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

"No, I didn't forget," she said quietly. "I'm waiting until they're a little more drunk." She smirked and nodded to the cook. "Go on, get to work, lad."

Whim

"I'm sick of doing stupid chores. I can do so much more with my book!" he gave a petulanr whine, stomping his foot in anger.

Ewan paled when he saw Tully's expression; the cook didn't look happy or sympathetic...

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

DragonSong

Isabeau rolled her eyes. "And you claim you're not a kid," she snorted.