Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hunter and Hunted [Glob] [M]

Started by DragonSong, February 03, 2016, 05:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

He missed by an inch.

Maybe less, judging by the few hairs that had caught on the head of his arrow. Sighing, Theoden frowned in the direction his spooked prey had bolted, tapping the shaft against his leg. There probably wasn't much point in going after the thing now- besides, he already had enough game to make some decent trades in the nearest village.

Deciding that was his best bet, the elf made his way back to the quick camp he'd set up in the shade of a massive oak tree, starting to pack up his things. He'd lost three arrows on this trip, one broken and two vanished into the underbrush, so he'd have to make up for those soon.

With a soft grunt he hefted his now filled pack and set off toward civilization, moving silently through the trees with the ease of many years of practice, the three hares and half dozen pheasants he'd shot strung together and slung over one shoulder.

It shouldn't take him long to reach the trading outpost, at least he didn't think so. He'd only been in the woods for three days this time, he couldn't have wandered too far from two-legger settlements. Right?

Putting the thought from his mind, he began to sort of enjoy the walk, even whistling softly to himself as he strolled along. He wasn't hunting anymore, there was no need to keep silent.

DaGlobster

Ugh, where is it!

Stygia's eyes narrowed as her massive, streamlined body cut through the late afternoon air. Damned elven ruins and their well camoflauged locations! How the hell was she supposed to spot a stone entrance no larger than a man through this foliage?

Shaking her head, she decided to circle about, but that was right about the time she heard a very distinct sound.

Whistling?

She focused on the source, and her silent wings brought her down lower so she could pick up a scent. She picked up the distinct smell of a man, combined with... elf?

An elf, then. A wanderer of the woods? She could smell the wilderness on him.

Perfect.

In a silent flash of black smoke, Stygia shifted into her half-human form, and glided down on her wings a fair distance away from the elf. Once she landed, she assumed a completely human fom, and, after a moment's consideration, decided to add a point to her ears and to make her skin just a bit fairer.

Her wings folded around her body and turned into a functional, yet form-catching travel robe, complete with a white shawl to go around her neck and over her head. The travel robe didn't show much skin, as she paired it with silk gloves that went up to the elbows and black boots with a little bit of heel to them, but it captured her perfect curves and plentiful features in a way that eluded words.

A pack to complete the look, and she merely opted to walk until she'd intersect with the wanderer's path, hoping to draw his attention by making sure to walk as casually through the woods as possible, stepping on any twigs in her path with prejudice.

DragonSong

Theoden suddenly stopped whistling, hearing the distinct sound of someone else's passage through the trees. He frowned. That was odd- he hadn't though he was that close to the trading post.

Instinctively wary, he moved toward the sounds, peering through the trees with a well practiced eye. He caught a flash of white and started to relax. No self respecting thief wore white, far too eye catching.

Still wary, but now decidedly less so, he moved toward the flash and the persistent crackle of underbrush. "Hello?" he called, trying to be friendly. Perhaps this stranger was lost? Whoever it was certainly wasn't used to the forest, what with all the nose he- or she- was making.

DaGlobster

Stygia pretended to be oblivious to the approaching elf, only "noticing" him when he called out.

She stopped in her tracks, and as an added touch, put herself against a tree, peeking out from behind it in Theoden's direction.

"Who's there?" She called out, her acting as fine as ever.

DragonSong

Shoot, how did he respond to that? "Um, no one of consequence," he called back, moving toward the tree he'd seen her peek around. And her voice indicated she was definitely a she. "Uh, pardon me...ma'am...but are you lost?"

He stopped a few paces from the tree, not wanting to startle her, and shifted from foot to foot awkwardly.

DaGlobster

"Lost?"

A gentle laugh from behind the tree, and Stygia made herself known. She had her white shawl drawn up over her head, contrasting her silky raven hair and her eyes (which were a piercing green in her fully human form).

"Far from it," she said, and she smiled at him as she placed a hand on her hip.

DragonSong

His eyes went very round and he could feel himself becoming tongue-tied before he'd even opened his mouth. "Oh, uh...well then I-I..." he stuttered out. Flushing he cleared his throat and reached up to rub the back of his neck, glancing away.

Gods, why did she have to be pretty?

"My apologies, miss," he mumbled, feeling as though his face was on fire. "I'll just- ahem- I'll leave you to...be about your business." Feeling awkward and silly, he shuffled his feet and turned to go.

DaGlobster

"Oh, please remain a second!" Stygia said, and she quickly obstructed his path, making sure to keep her chest puffed out.

"I'm looking for something rather specific, and you look like a..."

She motioned to Theoden.

"Forester of some persuasion."

DragonSong

He stopped dead in his path, eyes flicking down for a moment before he realized that was not a safe direction to look and determinedly focused on her face.

"Oh. Well..." He offered a sheepish sort of smile. "I know these woods, ma'am, if that's what you're getting at." He tilted his head and ventured, "You need a guide then? That's what you're sayin'?"

DaGlobster

"Oh, yes." Stygia said, and she smiled brightly.

"You look rather burdened, what with your haul. Are you headed to town?"

She stepped in close enough to test the boundaries, and joined her hands.

"If you are, I'll accompany you back. We can discuss terms there."

DragonSong

"I am, actually," Theoden mumbled, shifting his pack and his catch. He froze when she moved closer, skittish as a cat, then forced himself to relax. She was just being friendly.

"That sounds fine to me, ma'am," he said with a quick smile, turning slightly to start off back to town. After a moment he added a- perhaps slightl belated- "My name's Theoden, miss. What should I call you?"

DaGlobster

"Stygia. Rather fortunate that I happened upon you, Theoden," Stygia said, and she moved to walk besides him.

"So you're a hunter?" she asked, and turned her head to look up at him (for he was rather tall!).

DragonSong

"Yeah." He shifted his catch slightly as he glanced down at her. It probably was a good thing they'd run into each other, for her sake. "How long have you been out here?"

DaGlobster

"Oh, the better part of a day, I'd say. I came from the city."

Stygia put a hand on her chest, just above her breasts.

"I'm a student of archeology."

DragonSong

"Ah." His eyes instinctively followed the movement of her hand, then flicked quickly away and he flushed a bit. "Could I, um, ask what it is you're looking for, exactly?" he ventured cautiously. If she wanted his help finding it, he should probably know what "it" was.

DaGlobster

"I'm looking for a rather old set of elven ruins," Stygia said.

"The underground village of Tír Tandölír, to be precise."

DragonSong

Theoden's eyebrows shot up and he looked at her, giving a low, appreciative whistle. "Well, you certainly are ambitious, Miss Stygia," he noted. "I'm no archaeologist, but I was under the impression that village has been considered lost for a good long time now."

Did she think he could help her because he was an elf? He hoped not- she was going to be disappointed.

DaGlobster

"I' narrowed it down to these woods, I just..."

Stygia sighed. She let down her shawl in order to let her hair go free.

"It's a lot of ground to cover."

DragonSong

He nodded, snorting softly. "It is at that," he agreed. Stepping out of the trees onto a well traveled path, he glanced back at her over his shoulder. "Um...if you don't mind me saying so, Miss, you're dressed awful nice for a tramp through the woods. Maybe we can stop and grab you some more...practical clothes after I get rid of this lot." He hefted his catch as he spoke, letting his head tilt slightly at her.

DaGlobster

"I'm dressed just fine," Stygia said, and gave Theoden a confident smirk.

"I'm a sorceress, after all."

Tags: