Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Song of the Sea [Juno]

Started by DragonSong, March 22, 2016, 04:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"I'm...sure they will..." Ash bit her lip and sighed, then ran her fingers through her hair. "Alright. Let's- let's get going then."

She tried to force herself to breathe properly, patting at his shoulder absently, not quite realizing what she was doing.

Juno

The young dragon could practically feel her nervous energy, the sensation giving him reason to watch her warily out of the corner of his eye as he made his way through the sand. He convinced himself there was something on her mind she wasn't speaking of, but she was entitled to her privacy.

As he reached the rocks and realized the small, furry creatures weren't there -or at least not yet, he assured himself- Yan was careful not to make a big deal of it. 'Must not be early risers,' he pointed out with a yawn, plopping down to curl up within the shallow surf.

DragonSong

Ash nodded, sliding down from his back and hitching her skirt up around her waist so she could splash her feet absently in the water.

"Hm...guess so." She tried not to sound as nervous as she felt.

Juno

Yan watched the water beyond patiently, waiting for any sign of the dark little blobs under the surface. Eventually he got bored of staring at the water, instead following her splashes with his eyes like a crouched cat eyeing its prey. With a small growl he finally reached out with a forepaw, wrapping his claws around her ankle to "catch" her with a playful gentleness.

Fully distracting himself he was none-the-wiser to the small seal heads surfacing from the waves and slowly wading closer to their spot along the beach.

DragonSong

"Ach!" Ashling squeaked and hopped on her other foot to get her balance back. "Unhand me, fell creature!" she mock-challenged, swiping at him wildly.

A soft barking sound that oddly reminded her of laughter caught her attention and she started. Her foot slipped on the wet rocks and she went down with a "whoof!", promptly drenching herself.

The selkies that had been watching them seemed to laugh again.

Juno

Yan continued to growl low as she hopped about, still in a playful mood. At least, until she slipped and went down with a splash. He released her immediately with a startled snort, lowering his head to peer down at her with wide, concerned eyes. 'Are you alright? I'm sorry, I went too far.'

But then he finally heard the soft noises out on the water, lifting his head over her to stare out at the seals. 'Oh... I think they're here,' he pointed out sheepishly, a little embarrassed that they had been watched.

DragonSong

Ash spluttered and tried to wave his apology away. "Not- not your fault."

She pushed dripping hair out of her eyes and shot a quick glare at the seals before she got to her feet, shaking out her ragged, dirty, now thoroughly soaked nightgown.

"Yeah. Seems they are," she muttered.

Juno

He watched her stand warily, convinced she'd find a way to fall over again but was relieved when she remained upright. He stepped closer to the seals, slowly wading into the water but stopping himself short so Ash would have room to climb aboard his back again without getting herself drenched all over again. 'I hope they can help us, but if they can't I'll keep looking with you,' he told her truthfully, then teased, 'But no matter what we're stopping to get you some fresh clothes the first chance we get. You look a bit like you rolled in mud and then bathed in the same clothes.'

DragonSong

She started to smile at him, genuinely touched by his companionship, then gave a little indignant "huh!" and slapped at his shoulder.

"Ass," she chuckled. He wasn't wrong though, she mused to herself as she looked down at her close.

Putting it from her mind, she moved forward toward the approaching selkies. "Um. Hello? Are we...leaving, then?"

One of the seals nodded, jerking her head in a way that indicated they should follow.

Juno

Yan watched their interaction with interest and then relief. They looked the same as any other seals he'd ever seen but they seemed to be the same ones from the day before.

'Are you feeling ambitious enough to swim today? How long until you turn to ice?' the young dragon teased, swishing his tail lightly to splash at her as he waded even deeper into the water ahead of her.

DragonSong

Ash stuck her tongue out at him and swatted her shoulder as she climbed up onto his back again. "Oh, you hush," she chuckled.

Juno

Yan gave a low rumble of satisfaction once she was with him again and swam them out closer to the seals, awkwardly joining his much larger body to their formation. 'It was a valid question, you only abuse me for it because you know I've got thick skin. Literally.'

The dragon huffed dramatically but contented himself with swimming obediently instead of dunking her in the water like he so badly wanted to. He didn't want to make a mess of the day before it had truly started.

DragonSong

Pretending that wasn't true, Ash thumped his side with her calf and sprawled herself out over his neck.

"Hello," she murmured to the selkies when they were close enough. One of the seals bobbed her head, then dove into the water and started swimming. The others followed.

"I...guess we follow them?"

Juno

'Probably a good idea,' he answered wryly, observing their interactions with interest and hurrying along to keep pace with them while still keeping Ash above water. Perhaps they would have been better off flying, but then she would have had a difficult time communicating the nuances of their journey with them.

Nothing looked all that familiar to him as they went along. Sure, he knew what all the coastline looked in general but nothing struck him as particularly "seal" or even "selkie" and he couldn't help but wonder if they were being taken to some secret place these creatures had established away from prying eyes. 'Do they know how long this might be? How far, maybe?'

DragonSong

Ash shook her head helplessly. "Not a clue. Can you get their attention to ask?" She leaned out over his side a bit.

Juno

Get their attention? Yan didn't want to scare the poor creatures but he did the first thing that came to mind, dropping his head underwater and stretching his neck out to nudge the closest seal with his muzzle with a pointing motion upward with a claw.

DragonSong

The selkie barrel rolled, then popped her head up above the surface, a human face looking at dragon and girl.

"Yes?"

"We, uh-" Ash glanced down at Yan, then up again. "We wanted to know how long this journey will take?"

The selkie smiled. "A few days. Worry not, there are islands where we may stop and rest along the way." She ducked beneath the water, a seal again, and started swimming.

Juno

Yan lifted his head up after her, tilting it slightly in interest at the way she showed her "human" face briefly. He swished his tail in agitation to hear that it would be a long while. The idea of flying was growing even more appealing but it was possible it really would be easier to reach by water.

Still, did the islands have shelter for her? How was he to ensure Aishling didn't freeze to death at night? 'You still alright with this? That seems kind of long but...' He would go if she felt it was best.

DragonSong

She nodded quickly. "I have to do this, Yan," she murmured, lowering herself along his neck slightly. "I just...I have to find her."

She sighed softly. It would be a long journey, and she knew it wasn't going to be easy, but she had to believe it would be worth it.

Juno

He turned his head to look back at her, thoughtfully quiet for a moment. Of course it was that important to her. Not that it was trouble, but it was really setting in that she was willing to go through all of this inconvenience with hope as her only driving force.

'Then we go. I'll still be with you,' he promised, snickering after a brief pause. 'You'd be stuck swimming if I wasn't here to be your boat anyway.'