Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Song of the Sea [Juno]

Started by DragonSong, March 22, 2016, 04:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

The selkie who'd spoken snapped her eyes to the dragon, and seemed to debate for several seconds before she answered. "I do not know. She was here five days passed, but set out soon after she arrived."

"Always a bit of a wanderer, that one," another of the women sighed, shaking her head as though bemoaning some quirky flaw in her sister's personality.

Ash deflated, head and shoulders drooping. So close. Just five days. "You-- you don't have any idea where she might've gone?"

The talkative one glanced to her, and her expression softened slightly. She shook her head. "I'm sorry, child."

Juno

Yan's chest ached to see her obvious disappointment, stepping closer to nudge gently at her arm. They had only just missed her mother's presence and her location now was unknown. He didn't want to see Ash lose hope, surely her goal would be attainable in time.

'Does she visit here often?' he pressed gently. 'Aishling has come a long way to see her... Maybe we should stay until she comes back.'

DragonSong

The woman's eyes softened a bit more and her mouth twisted into a regretful sort of pout. "I'm sorry. Lyanna comes and goes as she pleases-- it may be months before she returns."

Months. Ash closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around herself, leaning heavily against Yan's side as she suddenly found herself fighting back tears.

"Are you truly her child?" another selkie suddenly piped up, the one who had not yet spoken. The more talkative one rolled her eyes.

"Are you blind, Fianna? Even if she didn't look just like her, it's obvious she is our sister." She gestured toward Aishling vaguely. "You can sense it, can't you? The song of the sea is in her blood."

Juno

Months was a long time. Months was...longer than he'd known Ash. It seemed too much for her in such harsh island conditions. Perhaps that wasn't even her greatest worry, but he could see her distress clear as day when he curled his neck to look at her.

A doleful, rumbling mewl sounded from his throat, eyes sad as he leaned close to press his muzzle to her cheek. He wanted to comfort her, but what the selkies discussed between themselves rang true to him. She had been drawn to the sea the night they had met and had seemed captivated with it ever since.

'It calls to her,' he offered to them in explanation. 'She is drawn to it. I taught her to swim, but...it felt like I was reminding her of what she already knew at the time.'

DragonSong

All three selkies nodded. "Yes, that is the way of it."

The quieter one, Fianna, smiled. "It is rare we find a sister born of both land and sea... I am sorry we could not be of more help to you."

Feeling rather adrift, Ash shook her head slowly. "No, that's...it's not your fault. Thank you..." She glanced up at Yan, disappointment clear in her eyes no matter what she did to try and smile.

Juno

The dragon breathed a disappointed sigh as he saw the sadness shining clearly in her eyes. He hated how routine it was becoming for he to be handed some small hope of finding her mother only for it to be snatched away. It seemed...unfair for a girl so pure of heart to endure and he ached with sympathy for her.

'Do any of you know where she -Lyanna- might have gone? Any places she visits often?' he pressed after a long while to break his thoughtful silence. 'Or...anywhere we might find more of your kind to ask after her?'

DragonSong

"Mmm...perhaps." The lead selkie glanced at the other two, then looked back to Yan and Ash. "Wait here."

All three slipped back into the water, snatching dark lumps from the shallows that Ash belatedly realized must have been their coats.

With a sigh, she leaned a little more heavily into Yan's side. "We were so close," she mumbled, shuffling her feet dejectedly.

Juno

The dragon sighed heavily as he heard the faint splashing of their departure. There was no telling if they would actually come back, but he supposed it wouldn't hurt either of them to wait a little while and see.

'I know... I'm sorry.' Yan nudged her cheek once more before dropping his head over her shoulder to wrap her in another of his makeshift hugs. 'Maybe they know something more, but...if they don't we can find others to ask. There are many islands we passed to get here,' he reminded her gently, not wanting her to lose hope.

DragonSong

Sighing, Ash turned and wrapped her arms as far around his neck as they would go. "Yeah." She tried to keep her voice upbeat, though truly just the thought of the journey still left ahead of them was enough to make her bones ache with weariness. "You're right..."

Juno

The dragon sighed heavily, doing his best to remain optimistic but sensing she would still be sad no matter what he said. 'We'll find her. And I promise...you won't ever be alone in this.'

DragonSong

She smiled at that, despite everything else, and nuzzled into his chest. Scales aside, it was actually quite comfortable, being pressed against the warmth that he radiated.

"Thanks, Yan," she murmured, finally stepping back. "You... I never would have even gotten this far without you."

Juno

With a soft snort and the gentle rumble of laughter vibrating his whole body Yan dipped his head to evenly look at her eye-to-eye. 'You would have eventually, but much more slowly,' he teased, encouraging gently, 'You're a strong swimmer.'

DragonSong

She chuckled a bit at that and shoved his shoulder lightly. "Oh, give over," she huffed. "We both know I'd never even have thought to come here of it hadn't been for you."

Juno

That gave Yan pause, his eyes widening in surprise as he just blinked for a few moments. That seemed...important. ‘I just wanted to help you, I’m sure you would have eventually,’ he tried to brush off.

DragonSong

"Maybe." Ash shrugged and glanced to the water. Seeing no sign of the dark shapes of seals, she sighed quietly and sank down to sit cross-legged between Yan's front paws. She tilted her head back to smile up at him. "But you definitely gave me the right push. Not to mention a lift," she chuckled, leaning back against his chest as she waited, eyes flicking back toward the water.

Juno

Yan arched his neck to look down at her, a little surprised she seemed so small curled up on the ground like she was. He settled his weight into the sands, his voice a little quieter than normal, 'I did, you're right... I wanted to see you happy again. But now you seem sad.'

He tilted his head, eyeing her quietly for a moment before settling his head down to rest beside her over one paw.

DragonSong

She thought about brushing his concern away-- then sighed and shook her head.

"I am sad," she admitted, leaning against his neck and twisting her head to let her brow rest against his scales. "I'm sad, and I'm tired, and I'm starting to think maybe this whole thing was pointless. Maybe I'll never find her."

She bit her lip, drawing in a shaky breath. Finally, she whispered the fear that had been haunting her since their journey began, the fear she hadn't allowed herself to articulate before. "Maybe she doesn't want me to find her..."

Juno

Yan quietly rumbled his sympathies, silently wondering if this whole journey was too difficult on her. Aishling was a strong young woman from everything he'd seen, but the emotional side of searching for her mother seemed to be taking its toll.

'Selkies seem secretive,' he mused. 'But they also seem to care for their own. I doubt she is hiding from you, Ash.'

The dragon nudged her gently with his muzzle, eyeing her curiously. 'Maybe we should stay here a few more days so you can rest. It is probably best not to rush if she is always so elusive, we will find her when the time is right. I'm sure it will happen.'

DragonSong

"Mmm." She sighed again softly and let herself relax back against him. "I hope so..."

It took nearly an hour, but finally the three selkies returned, slick, dark seals that propelled themselves onto the thin stretch of sand, then shrugged their coats away to become women once again.

"There will be a gathering tomorrow, on the north beach," Fianna said without preamble as Ash hurriedly tried to scramble to her feet and nearly tripped over Yan's paws. "You have been permitted to attend, by virtue of Lyanna's blood. Maybe someone there will be able to help you."

Juno

Yan had started to doze off, catching what brief rest that he could before the selkies returned. His eyes flickered open with a start as Ash flew away from him, his head shooting up as he peered around her to eye the three selkie women with caution.

He climbed up slowly, silently padding through the sand as he approached her and lightly butted his head against her back. 'Another day is not so far off. You should go... If you want to see what they might know,' he encouraged her gently, eyeing the selkies with a quiet rumble of gratitude.