Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hanging by a Moment [Lioooon~!]

Started by Rhindeer, April 12, 2016, 06:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Sachi fought like a wildcat all the way to the gallows, but it did little good. With one guard on each arm, she was dragged through the crowd that spit and sneered at her, the captured thief condemned to die. Here and there, she even got pelted by rotten, rancid fruit that soaked into her hair and clothes and made her gag.

Angry and bursting with adrenaline, it didn't even occur to her to be afraid until the crowd parted and she caught her first glimpse of the noose, dangling at the top of the scaffolding while the hooded executioner still fiddled with it. That was when anger turned to panic, and her struggles redoubled. Loudly cursing her captors, she twisted in their grip and tried to kick them, jerked back and forth between them to test their hold, and even leaned as far as she could to try to bite one. But that just earned her a smack across the face and a bloodied lip, and she soon found herself at the bottom of the steps that would lead up to her death.

"W-wait!" she said, turning to the guard that hadn't smacked her. "Hey, wait, ya don't...haha, ya don't really wanna do this, right? Murder a poor girl?"

The guard didn't look at her. "It's not murder when it's a criminal. It's justice."

"Justice." Sachi shook her sweaty silver hair from her eyes, the dirty locks falling in a tangled mess around her shoulders. Prison hadn't treated her well. "C'mon, ya don't even know me! What if I'm like...uh...a mother! Got a family!" She winced when she saw him roll his eyes skyward. "I could have a family! Ya never know! I was only stealing so I could eat, though. Honest! Doesn't that just warrant the lash? Can we do that instead? Sounds like a great time to me!"

"Holding up a carriage so you could eat," the other guard, who had been listening in, said flatly. "Mhmm."

"...I was really, really hungry?" Sachi said with a sheepish, miserable smile, amazed at herself for being able to joke even now. But the guard only scowled and she hunched her shoulders.

Seeing she'd find no sympathy here, her eyes darted around the crowd, searching for empathy somewhere. But all she saw were jeering faces. She swallowed hard, sweat beading along her pale skin. She needed to figure out something, and fast. Unfortunately, strategy had never been her strength; she was a girl of action.

"You could just, you know, look the other way and I'd smack you and we could both pretend you fought real hard but I got away anyway?" she suggested with a weak laugh, to no response.

At the top of the scaffold, the executioner gave the guards a signal, and Sachi grunted as they starting dragging her up the stairs. Heart lodging itself in her throat, she set her feet against the steps and tried to brace herself so they couldn't drag her, but they yanked her forward and she just ended up stumbling and scraping her knees on the steps, tail lashing about wildly as she tried to balance herself. Even struggling and swearing all the way, it wasn't long before she reached the top.

One of the guards forced her to her feet and bound her hands behind her back while the other held her. And then, when he was done, another guard held her in place as the executioner slipped the noose around her neck, tightened it, and checked the placement of the knot.

She was running out of time.

"Any last words?" one of the men said as Sachi struggled to stand, her legs turned to jelly.

She latched onto that.

"YES! Actually, I do have some last words! A lot of them, actually!" She cleared her throat, surprised her voice wasn't as wobbly as it wanted to be. Something about this all still felt very, very surreal.

"I, er, I prepared this story, you see, and it's super sentimental and important to me so my last request is that I get to tell it before I die 'cause I haven't told it to anyone else and it's super great if I say so myself! Okay, so, there was this guy, see, and he lived under a bridge, but one day this crazy thing happened and..."

And she was totally pulling this out of her ass. But it had worked in that one story from the desert, about a girl scheduled to die who had prolonged it through storytelling, so...

Why not?
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Lion

The air crackled with tingles of electricity, and the sky was less than pleased with its current state of indigestion.  Thunder rumbled above the scene that was playing below and there was a bright flash within the clouds that day.  It wasn't raining.  It didn't even look like there was a thunderhead forming.  But there was a heavy sense of dreariness and when the sky crackled with lightning, it's belly exhaled a powerful belch.

And suddenly the  space ten feet above the gallows, zapped open, and a body fell from the sky.  Maako yelped when a stray tendril of electricity zapped him.  "Quit your whining!" His hand quipped back.

"Ahhhhhh!" he screamed anyway and slammed down hard on the wooden structure below.  It crashed upon impact and splintered all up on his behind.  The crowd gasped loudly, the headsman reeling back when the creature just materialized into existence.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Rhindeer

That was something you didn't see everyday!

Sachi was still babbling over her never-ending story, conscious of the way the executioner's hand inched toward the lever that would kill her, when the sky rumbled, even though it was hardly overcast. Sachi didn't really notice the oddness, though, or note the crackling electricity, because she was too caught up with what was happening immediately around her--like keeping the story flowing and watching the hangman's hand!

Everyone noticed the lightning, though, and the strange sound the sky emitted--\

Right before everything came crashing down quite literally.

Something crashed into the gallow's beam and there was a loud crack, and Sachi let out a startled scream as she was thrown off balance--and for a frightening moment, she thought that crack was her neck. She landed hard on her side, for a moment not even noticing that the noose was looser now because the beam it hung from had been shattered, but a second later she realized that this was awfully strange to be death, and her body ached where she'd fallen, and she looked up in surprise.

And saw a strange blue...person? A strange blue person sprawled out near her.

If you could call him a person. What...what was all over his face?

Didn't matter! He'd broken the beam, wherever he'd come from, and Sachi's heart leaped when she realized the inevitable was delayed by whatever freak instance of nature had just occurred! Scrambling up onto her bottom while the executioner and crowd still gaped, her hands still awkwardly behind her back, she looked desperately toward the...person? The person. Yes. Was he even still alive?

SHE HAD SO MANY QUESTIONS. But right now, she wanted to not hang!

"Hey! Hey, you, ya still alive?!" she hissed, and kicked him lightly with her boot.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Lion

What was this strange world!?  Who were these strange little critters all scattering about to avoid the massive splinters that jumped in the air when the beam fell?  They were almost his size but they were so ugly-looking with their smooth skin and hairy heads and weird side-ways metal tails.  Master had warned him of this.  These little creatures called "hoomans".

Maako shook himself quickly, climbing to his knees as he pried a piece of wood from a butt cheek and shook himself.  "See!?  Nothing to worry about?" the mouth on his hand muttered and spat out a chunk of wood.  Maako turned to his hand and smiled.  "You have to learn to trust me!"

"Oh yes, very trust.  That is how to say it?" Maako muttered.  He shook his head, climbing to his feet when the little 'hooman' in the ropes was sputtering at him.

"It's one of them," Maako hissed, unaware that such hisses could still be heard by one in close proximity.  "What should I do?"

"Listen to it!  The ones with the metal-tails are coming up the steps!"

"Little Hooman, you have a strange rope necklace, yes?  You're wearing it wrong.  It must be tighter!"  Maako leaned down to fix the noose properly, when one of the soldiers pulled his metal-tail out of the sheath and held it out before him.

"Stay away from the prisoner, fiend!" the soldier said.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Rhindeer

Ohhhh wow he was naked too, a fact she finally noticed when he rose up and was no longer obscured by the broken beam.

Whyyyy was he naked?

WHY HAD HE FALLEN FROM THE SKY?

And oh my gods he was freakier looking now that she could see all of him and...uh...

Maybe...maybe she didn't want his help after all?

What was he talking to? Was he...was he talking to his hand? Even making a different voice for it and everything? Oh man, did he hear voices, is that what was going on?

Sachi stared at him. Maybe she was dying, maybe that's what was up. She was dying and hallucinating up strange naked blue people that talked to their hands and had so many pokey bits and a belly that...oh gods what was even going on with his belly, please tell her that was a tattoo! But then he reached for her and she snapped out of her staring and jerked back, eyes going wide. "Whoa, what?! No, no, it's not a neck--argh, dammit!"

Aaand he made it tighter, right as a guardsman came barreling on up. Peachy.

Her eyes flew to the guard, then back to the blue creature, her head spinning in confusion, but dammit, one option was certain death and the other? Who the hell knew! But she liked the unknown right then (even if it was batshit crazy) better than the for sure death, so she shuffled back toward the blue man person and shrank back from the guard.

"Get the rope off me, blue guy!" she hissed. "Now! We gotta scoot or it'll be your neck, too!"

Lion

Master warned him about something like this.  Hoomans were notoriously feisty bottomfeeders that likes to wave their little sticks around when they were agitated.  Maako smiled and waved his bottom left arm at the little shiny sword.  But something the little hooman in the rope said made him think twice.

"Wait? Why would they want to give me a rope necklace like yours?  I haven't. Ow!" The sword quickly lunged and lashed out across his chest in a warning slash.  Maako held his open wound, staring up in bewilderment.  "That hurt!"

"I warned you creature! Get away from the prisoner!"

Maako scowled and closed the distance, snatching up the soldier by the neck and shaking him like a doll before throwing him off the balcony edge of the gallows.  Maako busied his other arms with removing the rope from Little Hooman's neck and tore the ropes off her wrists. 

"Scoot thing? We do this now yes? Those pointy sticks hurt!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Remind me not to make him angry, Sachi thought as she watched him shake that soldier like a doll, her face pale. Because this was a big blue guy with pointy things in his face that talked to his hand and had four arms and reacted to getting slashed with a sword like he'd just been pinched! And yet, even as she openly gaped, she found it a little ironic because...haha...she was kind of a monster herself, wasn't she?

She just never thought of herself as one.

But the important part of all this was the part where he ripped the rope off her neck and hands, and in a flash, Sachi was on her feet. Blue guy seemed to have things handled, sooooo!

Time to do the scoot thing.

"Thanks, blue guy!" she called, and leaped down from the gallows. "See ya later! Avoid the pointy end and don't get arrested!" And she wasted no time in running.

She might be grateful, but she was still a thief. She knew an opportunity when she saw one, and knew when it was time to steal the moment!

Lion

Apparently, Maako didn't get the goodbye part of the deal.  He simply thought that this was the scooting process!  Oh, and she certainly made a go of it.  But she was so slow running on those two legs of hers.  Sure he had only two legs as well, but the advantage of having extra arms meant he could use them to close greater distances.

"Oh good!  Then you know a way out!" Maako said gleefully and leapt from the edge of the gallows.  He opened his arms wide and spreading out the skin between them.  The 'wings' caught wind and he glided across the crowd, following along with Sachi's path.

Just then a troop of mage knights parted through the audience, bearing their shields and weapons at the ready.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

The crowd had parted for Sachi, people moving out of the way since no one wanted to be in the path of a criminal--or the strange blue monster behind her.

Especially when that strange blue monster took flight.

Well, glided. But anyone who was there that day would certainly exaggerate what they had seen when he took to the air, naked and four-armed and strange, and swooped after the lion-tailed thief.

Sachi heard shrieks behind her, and when she looked over her shoulder, she saw people diving out of the way or ducking and covering their heads. What the...? She looked up.

And just about had a heart attack.

"HOLY SHIT!" she blurted, and pumped her legs faster, wishing she could shift on a whim--but it took effort and focus and also being naked, so that wasn't happening! So she faced forward and turned on the speed.

Only to come to a skidding stop when the crowd before he parted and mageknights came marching through.

"HOLY SHIT!"

Caught between a rock and a hard place. She hopped back a couple steps, looked behind her at the blue man swooping closer, and decided the enemy of her enemy was her friend. Waving frantically to the blue guy, she pivoted on her heel and ran away from the mageknights.

And toward blue guy.

"Watch out for the shield assholes!" she called to him, panting. "Also, you can fly?! Great! Fly us out of here!"

Lion

No he couldn't fly.  But he didn't think that now was the best time to correct her.  And just when he thought he was ready to follow, she just darted right back around and came barreling in his direction!  The mage knights bared their weapons and immediately began casting a spell of paralysis.

Maako made a weird eep sound, feeling his joints stiffen briefly before he turned round away from the growing field.  The knights began to spread out, and the people gave way, not wanting to be anywhere near here should a fight break out.  Which this very well could turn out to be.

He dropped himself just low enough before spreading out his upper arms once again, his other two catching Sachi by the tail and hoisting her up, as the flesh caught wind again and he pulled them both up hard.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Be careful what you wish for, they said. For blue guy swooped down to grab her as she hoped--

And grabbed her TAIL! Of all things!!

Sachi let out a gasped yelp of surprise and pain as, suddenly, she was jerked into the air and skybound--which was the strangest, freakiest feeling when she wasn't the one piloting! The ground dropped out beneath her, along with her stomach, and she yelped again and flailed because it felt awfully precarious to be hanging by only her tail--which felt like it might break!

"Ow, owww, you oaf! Not the tail!" she yelled, trying to flail enough that she could grab o to him to take some of the pressure off. "Let go! I men, no no, don't let go, ignore me, but maaan, why the TAIL?! You're bending it, owww!"

Lion

It wasn't ideal.  And for that brief moment he realized that grabbing her tail probably wasn't the best idea.  But it was the first one that came to mind when he reached down for her.  Because his arms just snatched onto the first appendage that was closest to him.  Swooping in to hoist her by the arm would require too much effort!

Or so he argued to himself as she shrieked below him.  Maako pulled her up by the tufted thing until he had her by the ankles upside down, trying to double back up to get more air.

That was until the fireballs started heading their direction.  Coupled with flaming arrows.  Oh, lovely!

"Are they throwing us a party!?  Should we drop back down?" he asked, looking upside down.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Sachi couldn't decide which was worse: being hoisted along by her tail, or flying upside down. No doubt she couldn't make that decision because the blood was rushing to her brain and making thinking hard. That and she was trying very hard not to puke all over everything, and praying she'd survive this day, because the gods apparently had it out for her and were bound and determined to see her break her neck.

Or fry her.

A fireball whizzed by, so close she could feel its heat, and she let out a squawk of alarm--and another at his words.

"NO!!" she yelled, eyes going saucer wide. "No, no, that's a bad party! The worst party! It's a corpse party! Keep flying! Fly faster! Oh gods if you don't get me bloody well killed I swear I'll throw you a party, okay?! I swear I'll--hurk."

And she cut off and slapped her hands over her mouth, turning quite green around the gills.

Lion

Oh, it was a sound he was familiar with.  With his view of her upside down and the sound of spinach being shoved through a grinder.  In fact, the color of her face looked a lot like it.  "What!?  No!  It stinks!  Hold it in!"  It was a moment of distraction long enough that he had dropped too low and they both took a tumble into a cart of oranges.

Maako's form smashed into the fruit, but the scent of citrus was such a relief compared to the scent of spinach.  Or whatever she ate.  Fire arrows smashed into the wooden hull of the cart, and the man that had been running it cried out in horror and rage.

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?  THAT WAS ALL MY STOCK!  MAGDA!  MAGDA!  GET THE BROOM!"

Maako rolled off with a grunt and looked for the Spinach Human.  "You okay, LIttle one!?  We need to leave!  No more pukie!"

A woman rushed out from the building beside them.  She saw the mess that had been made and when the pair were close enough - blue demon thing be damned - she came at them hard with the bristled end of her broom.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

This was definitely not how she imagined this day going, Sachi thought as she sat in a pile of oranges, bruised and nauseated, as a woman with a broom ran at them. Was this her punishment? Her punishment for not dying? Maaaan, what a shitty deal! She grabbed at the blue "demon", at one of his several arms, and hauled herself up sorely, still reeling and dizzy--

And wasn't quick enough to avoid getting a whack to the head, and another to her gut.

That was the woman's greatest mistake.

Sachi choked, gagging--and then the meager last meal she'd managed to hold in through all their aerial acrobatics and craziness came roaring on out and splashed onto the woman's shoes.

Lion

Ew.  That wasn't a pleasant sight.

Maako made a noise and the woman shrieked in horror at being spewed all over.  Maako didn't want to hang around much longer before snatching Sachi once again and dragging her along the walk way.  "No more sicky, okay?  I don't know if it washes out!  It doesn't smell like it does!" he griped and slung her up onto his back.

"Hold on, yes?  Here we go!"  He gave a strong leap with his legs, just as a fireball grazed his leg and he yelped.  Wobbling, he spread the flesh between his arms and caught wind once more, trying to steady himself with the added weight.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Sachi would have been totally mortified if that woman didn't totally deserve it for beating them with a broom! And if she didn't still feel queasy, and now have the added fun of a totally vile taste in her mouth! Gods, what had she last eaten?

But she had no time to ponder that. She had just managed to wipe her mouth off on the back of her hand when the blue devil was at it again, grabbing her and dragging her along while she let out a noise of protest and stumbled after him. She had barely just gotten her footing when he suddenly hoisted her up--and the second she landed on his back, she understood his intent.

Her stomach dropped.

"Whoa, whoa, wait, no!" she yelped, but it was too late because they were airborne, and there were fireballs whizzing at them. And so she curled her poor, sore tail in close to her body and wrapped her arms around his neck and legs around his waist, squeezing as she held on for dear life and closing her eyes for good measure!

"Oh gods, you're a terrible flyer!" she groaned.

This was it. She was going to die today after all!

Lion

"You are too..fat to be carried!" Maako griped as he struggled to keep balance because he felt something immediately singe the back of his foot.  The mageknights were not going to let them go so easily.  Troops surrounded their path of escape, even as he glided over the top of them.  Maako growled and averted as he slammed hard into the glass of a balcony door, tumbling headlong onto the floor.

He scrambled to his feet and tugged at Sachi's tail to get her up again.  "So much smoke!  So much fire!  Oh, how I miss home!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

FAT?!

DID HE CALL HER FAT?!

Sachi reeled back with an offended gasp, fear replaced by indignation. "Now listen here you--!"

Smash!

The world spun, and suddenly she was on the ground again--well, not quite ground, but the floor of a balcony. But not for long, because then the brute was yanking her tail!

"Hey!" she snapped and jerked her tail away from him, then held it and waved it at him like a mother waving a spoon at a naughty child. "First of all, rude! Ya don't just go grabbin' peoples' tails like that! And second of all, I am not fat! Also rude! I expect an apology right this instant!"

And she scowled at him, fists on her hips, even as fire rained down all around them.

Lion

Maako stared at her wild-eyed, and the mouth on his hand hissed in displeasure.  This little critter had a lot of nerve at backlashing so much at his help.  However, he was obedient enough to know when wrong was wrong in a moment like this.

Except maybe he didn't have to apologize right away.

"Yes rude.  But um, your hair.  It's on fire."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Tags: