Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Adelan Lore

Started by TreeFolk, April 23, 2016, 12:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreeFolk

@Tally @Rhi-Rhi

So I was wanting to know if it would be possible to play around with some Adelan lore, and build some of its history? Perhaps even starting a new "Big Plot" for Adela. From what I can tell, the lore and culture of Adela is a bit sparser than, say, Serendipity or Connlaoth... But this is just from what I could find on the wiki or on "The World" Adela link. I'm a folklorist by "real world" trade (it's what I have my master's degree in), so I kind of love developing and working with lore. This would totally be my jam to work on in my free time.

Here's how I started to develop the plot:

I was thinking that Adela, as a warlike people, might have a culture similar to Scandinavia and Old Nordic culture. So "Old Adela" might have been even more warlike than current Adela. I began to picture Old Adela as a time when various warbands worked with different dragons, and a time when the country was torn apart by war between gods, dragons, and men. So, for instance, one warband might work with black and green dragons, and would ride against another warband into battle.

The culture of the society would not have yet settled into the dichotomous gender stereotypes, as it's written in the SotE current culture, where men and women have their predetermined roles. Both men and women alike would have needed to fight for survival, so there were battlemaidens as feared and respected as warlords. Society would have been composed of warlords and chieftains fighting for power, land, women, and fortune. This would also be a time when gods walked among men- though now many people refer to the gods as spirits and not gods, just a matter of perception.

This would also be a time of Heroes and Heroines, though the lore over time reimagined many Heroines as Heroes as the gender roles solidified.

For this period to end, I imagined a Blood Witch Ylva terrorizing the land of men in attempt to bring Adela to its knees. Without unity, the Blood Witch pretty much was undefeatable, which is where my character(s) would come in. I created a demi-god war-maiden, Sigurn, who has been written down into lore as the Hero Sigurd, and her half-brothers Eluf and Stigr. Eluf and Stigr were turned into ravens by the Blood Witch, and Sigurn went to confront the Blood Witch at her fortress deep in the isolated reaches of the Thunderblacks. The only way to defeat Sigurn was to get her to ingest a part of the tree under which she was conceived.

The Blood Witch sent out two of her minions in disguise as Sigurn's brothers to meet her, tricking her into drinking from a cup made from the tree. Sigurn then fell into an endless sleep, though this sleep had repercussions on the witch as well, draining her of her power. And so Sigurn was cursed to this sleep until the time when the Blood Witch begins returning to power, though her return is just spoken of in rumors at first in the villages in the Thunderblacks. Sigurn will return to defeat the Blood Witch and return her brothers whole with the help of the noble warrior intended to reawaken her.
Here is a link to Sigurn Idasdotter

Here is a link to my first thread with Sigurn: An End to the Endless Sleep

So just let me know what you think about making this lore more official, or any other kind of collaborative lore building for Adela that I can do! :)

visualspice

@Rhi-Rhi or @Tally would be the mods to ask as far as incorporate lore as 'official'. So just tagging them into this to make sure they see it :D
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Sorry it took so long to respond here!

A write up for Adela is being worked on! <3 It's been slow going, but @Tally is gonna be visiting so I'mma rope her into helping me finish it, muahaha.

Long story short, with Adela, we're sort of going for an "early America when the colonialists invaded and took over Native American land", or "the Spaniards coming in and conquering South America and destroying crap" feel, with some twists. Adela is a very young nation and the land it is built on originally belonged to a tribal nation, before Serenians came in and conquered. Now it's sort of a cultural mish mash, and it's got its own internal issues. So its culture is sort of a blending of Serenian culture, and the original tribal cultures--if altered and tweaked to fit this new culture. Likewise,  there are various layers of culture within Adela. Some places feel more "Serenian", while others have pockets of people still holding onto the old ways of how things were before Serenians came. Your average Adelan has genetic makeup from Serenians and the original horse tribes (the Duhjari), with the horse tribe genes being more dominant (so most Adelans are dark skinned and dark haired), but some people are more genetically Serenian, and some are more genetically Duhjari so some will be lighter or darker. There's a lot of diversity.

And I view it as there being a lot of tension, too. Still a young nation, still a nation built upon conquest. Not everyone agrees with the way things are. Plenty have assimilated, and they are in the majority and view Serendipity as their friend the way America and England back each other up but also argue a lot. xP But there are also plenty of groups that are bitter.

Hopefully that write-up will be done soon!

The dragons are a very new thing, though! It's only in very recent history that they introduced dragon-riders.

Connlaoth would work very well as far as Nordic-style lore goes, because when Connlaoth was written, it was written with some Nordic influences. (Not as far as religion goes, though, but we were going for a Nordic feel.) But I still think having a blood witch terrorize Adela would work fine!
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa