Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

To Catch a Unicorn [DragonSong]

Started by Juno, June 03, 2016, 08:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

"Sense things?" Kynton tensed at that, not realizing before that she even had such an ability. He wondered just how much she could sense of him, if his thoughts or feelings besides the obvious discomfort were in any danger.

But then she was asking more questions, pressing for information he really didn't have, or at least didn't remember. "Uh... Just some guy," he mumbled, warily eyeing her sidelong, uncertain if she would just accept that. He didn't exactly want to tell her he'd been hired to retrieve her with no real reason. He'd never even considered he might need to discuss the whys and hows with a unicorn, but he didn't really want to think about what some wealthy stranger wanted with a creature like her.

DragonSong

"Oh." She was a little disappointed he didn't seem to have more information to offer, but her companion didn't seem like the chattier fellow.

Still...it just wasn't in her nature to let things lie. She was curious, she couldn't help it. "Well, what's your name? I should know it, right? Unless this some guy is really close and we'll be parting soon- but even then, I'd like to know what you're called, you know?"

Realizing she was babbling, she tossed her head and gave a tinkling, chiming sort of sound that was actually an embarrassed sort of laugh.

Juno

"He isn't," he answered quickly, "Isn't close, I mean." Lifting his head momentarily he looked off into the distance. He wasn't even sure where he was looking or where they were going, besides following his instinct. Everything was a blur. A giant, irritating blur of darkness.

"My name is Kynton," he offered distractedly, not really liking that this strange creature knew enough to ask after it and now had that information for herself. What should he possibly be afraid of, though? Blackmail from someone who seemed eager to offer healing? It was odd, certainly, but perhaps it was her calling of sorts. At least, he assumed so.

"Is there something I should be calling you? Or...that you want to be called?" he wondered, knowing it was the polite, human thing to ask at least. He stared at her, though, uncertain how she'd made whatever sound she'd made or what it really meant.

His eyes shifted nervously. She looked alright but he didn't really know enough about her kind to say for sure.

DragonSong

"Kynton," she repeated, tossing her head slightly as she did. Every time she moved her neck, the vine "necklace" reminded her irritatingly of its presence and she snorted, though she didn't ask him to remove it. She assumed he had a reason for keeping it on her.

"I'm called Belladonna," she said after a few moments, remembering he'd asked for her name in turn. She paused for a moment then, not quite sure she should have shared that. While her kind were not like the fae, exactly, a name was still a personal and a powerful thing.

Juno

"Belladonna? Isn't that two names?" he complained lightly, scrunching his nose as he tried to wrap his mind around it. It was an okay name, he thought, but definitely a longer one than he was used to hearing.

"I guess it's alright," he finally mumbled, shrugging and not really remembering he really didn't have much reason to judge her for it. "So you're...really a unicorn, right?"

DragonSong

She gave him a droll look- well, as droll as a unicorn could get. "It's a flower," she informed him primly with another little shake of her head. "You can call me Bella though, if that's easier."

Tilting her head at him, Belladonna answered slowly, "Ye-es. I am. Were you...expecting something different?" Other members of her herd had told her that sometimes humans were surprised by their kind, expecting...well more. Something not as small, certainly.

Juno

Kynton just grumbled at her correction, rolling his eyes. How was he supposed to know that? Bella definitely was easier, though he hoped for her sake he wouldn't have much occasion to use it.

"Something different? Well...kind of. I mean I just thought your kind was more not you." He frowned, knowing that wasn't very helpful, but talking with her was doing wonders for helping distract him from his discomfort. "I just had to make sure. That you still were one, you know. Are there, um, different types?" He certainly hoped not, he'd never been told about getting any specific type of unicorn if there even was such a thing, but at this point he would probably believe anything.

DragonSong

She tossed her head again, picking her hooves up a little higher as she pranced along beside him. "I'm not sure," she answered honestly. "I imagine there could be- there's all sorts of creatures in the world, and magic molds us in mysterious ways."

She kicked her back heels out a bit in a playful little buck and skipped a few paces ahead of him, then paused as she came to the end of her vine-tether. "I've only ever met my own kind though."

Juno

"Mmm. And other things," he mumbled, watching her closely with a grumpy look as she just looked so...happy and carefree. Nobody should just be that happy.

Seeing how she stretched her lead, though, he lifted his hand to give her that much more room. He wasn't confident that the flimsy thing could actually hold her against her will, but he felt a little guilty for it already. "I just heard stories, is all," he explained, having no real way of knowing if any of them were true. Her kind seemed very rare, or at least very well hidden.

"Can you heal anything?" he asked curiously, knowing it probably wasn't the best idea to talk to her or get to know her in any way. The talking helped, though, and he was very curious for his own reasons as he was uncertain what his own suffering might be considered.

DragonSong

Bella paused as she considered that. "Mm...maybe. Mostly." She nodded decisively. "Ailments that aren't magical in nature, yes. For the ones that are, I think I'd probably be able to alleviate certain symptoms, perhaps heal minor things."

She pranced back to him, eyes bright and curious. "Why? Does "some guy" have a magical illness?" She paused a moment, then persisted, "Do you?" She could tell there was something wrong with him, she just wasn't quite sure what.

Juno

"Ah..." Damn. "I, um- I actually don't know," he mumbled, making a conscious effort to not meet her eyes. She really was so damn persistent.

"I'm not sick," Kynton insisted stubbornly, knowing full well his unfortunate set of conditions probably looked that way to an outsider. "I got a little messed up but it isn't anything to heal... I don't think so at least."

DragonSong

"Oh?" She paused, shifting her weight from foot to foot. "Are you sure? You don't seem...well."

Her social skills were limited enough that she didn't realize that may not be an entirely polite thing to say to someone.

Juno

Kynton flinched at that, unsure how to approach the subject without outright revealing everything to her. Not that it was a big secret or anything, he just didn't like the idea of his affliction being known information to too many people...or creatures.

"Mhm. I just...don't handle cold very well," he admitted in a grumble, not meaning to sound angry but if she hadn't been put off by him already he didn't think she would be now. To his old self it wouldn't have even been that cold, but his blood felt like ice in his veins in the dark and shadow of the woods with every small gust of wind feeling like a knife slicing at his skin even through all the padding of clothing.

DragonSong

"I...see." Bella hesitated a moment, then moved forward and lowered her head as she had when she first approached him, horn aimed for his heart.

"I'm not going to hurt you," she murmured as the twisting silver spire barely tapped against his chest. She closed her eyes and blew out a soft breath and the glow around her seemed to intensify.

It wasn't healing, exactly, and she wasn't sure how long it would last, but she sent a breath of warmth into the human, hoping to relieve some of his discomfort.

Juno

"What?" He hissed in surprise, tense and standing still to brace for what he feared would come of whatever she was trying to do. He shut his eyes tight, turning his head away from her in anticipation. When no pain came and instead a pleasant wave of warmth washed over him his eyes snapped open to stare at her accusingly, breath coming in short pants in his confusion.

"How- What was that?" he murmured, a firm sense of relief filling him for the first time since he'd set off on this trip. He hadn't realized how much of a toll being out in the elements for so long had taken on him. More than anything, though, he was surprised that it persisted and hadn't just disappeared as quickly as it had come.

DragonSong

The unicorn hopped on her back legs in a little half rear and tossed her head happily, ears perked forward. "Healing," she said excitedly. "It worked, yes? Oh, good!"

Her excitement faded a bit and she added a little quieter, "I'm, uh, not quite sure how long that will last though, I'm sorry. Best I could do."

Juno

"Well... At least you didn't kill me," he grumbled, relaxing some and looking down at his chest pointedly, as if expecting himself to burst into flame, or something.

"This is...nice. Much warmer. Thanks, I guess," he offered, extending a hand to give her a tentative little pat on the neck. It felt a little wrong to offer touch as praise to an animal that talked but it was a little too late to take that back.

DragonSong

The glow around Bella seemed to flare happily for a moment and she nickered softly, though the sound wasn't so much equine as it was bell-like, chiming.

"You're welcome," she said cheerfully, glancing at his hand briefly but deciding not to comment on the pat. There were plenty of her kind that would have taken offense to be treated as a common animal, but honestly she found she didn't mind. She was just happy to have helped him.

Juno

Kynton continued shuffling along, sneaking glances at the unicorn and privately admired how...unique she was. He'd never met a creature like her before, but he supposed that was what he got for trying to live a rather human and magic-free life in recent years.

Looking at her, though, he suddenly had a thought and fidgeted the lead in his hand nervously. "You... You're allowed to leave the woods, right? You don't have to stay here? It's...kind of far away, is all."

DragonSong

"Oh yes." She bobbed her head in a semi-nod. "Most of us stay in our home forests, but I've been traveling recently."

Suddenly nervous though, the unicorn glanced at him and asked slowly, "How, um...how far is far, exactly?"