Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Damsel and the Dragon

Started by DragonSong, June 13, 2016, 07:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@Heretic King

The slave markets were never her favorite place. They brought back bad memories, even though she'd gotten off better than most people born into such a life could ever hope for.

Still, it was the quickest way home from the east library, and the sun was setting. Lapis didn't relish the idea of being caught out in the city after dark, so she just ducked her head and did her best to hurry through the markets and ignore the misery surrounding her.

Loud shouting from what appeared to be an auction block caught her attention despite herself and she paused, almost against her will, to glance up. Her eyes widened slightly at the..."goods" for sale.

Medievarad

Several slaves stood next to Steel. All glanced down at the floor. But not him, no, Steel stood, head held high, defiant amongst the others. And the slavers knew the cracking of a whip had no effect to make him look respectful and humble.

A soft snort resounded as he heard his name. Various costumers had their attention captivated by him. And so started his slaver with his sales pitch. Among the lines of boasting his prestige in the arena, his physical strength, the fact he was half dragon. And his handsooe, rugged looks. Some of the wopen present took exception to that, giggling as they exhanged looks.

The slaver gave a toothy grin and stepped forward to said ladies. "Yes, ladies. He is as big as you imagine." Some of them got a thick shade of crimson on their cheeks, others giggled.

And Steel merely rolled his eyes.

DragonSong

Lapis was mostly tuning out the slaver as he made his pitch, but she couldn't help rolling her eyes at that. How desperate did a person have to be to buy a lay?

Well. She supposed the sheer number of brothels in the city should attest to that.

Still, something about the slave certainly caught her attention, something that wasn't his size, as seemed to be drawing everyone else. He looked- defiant. Strong. Unbroken. It was rare to see in a slave.

Her hand slid toward the purse at her belt and she bit her lip. Don't do it. You can't buy them all to save them, if you start now-

Almost against her will, she found herself opening her mouth to call, "How much?"

Medievarad

The slaver gave her a toothy grin and turned around, pulling Steel along by his shoulder. However, the slave didn't budge. He merely looked down at Lapis.

"How much can ye offer?" Was what the slaver said, leaving Steel alone for the time being.

DragonSong

Her fingers slipped into the small purse, brushing against the coins. "Twenty gold," she replied. Her eyes flicked to the slave, then back to the man selling him. She resisted the urge to bite her lip, straightening her shoulders and trying to appear taller than she was.

Medievarad

The man arched an eyebrow. "Ya can't do any better than that?"

Steel rolled his eyes, with a loud clunk, his chains were broken, he stepped down the stage. "Sold." He merely stated.

DragonSong

Lapis didn't say anything to the alaver, just nodded and passed over the money.

Her eyes flicked to Steel, then away quickly. Guilt rose up in her chest and she bit her lip. "Come with me," she whispered. "Just...follow close. We can talk when we're out of the markets."

Medievarad

Steel arched an eyebrow. That was the point. He stepped down and trailed behind her, glancing around and causing people to take several steps back from him due to his sheer intimidating look.

DragonSong

Once they were out of the markets, Lapis slipped down a small side alley and leaned against a wall, closing her eyes and letting her head rest back for a moment.

"I'm sorry," she murmured, looking to her new companion. Slave. "I'm sorry about this. Really I am, I don't know what came over me-"

She huffed out a breath, then offered a smile. "What's your name then? I'm called Lapis."

Medievarad

Steel folded his arms as she apologised. "You're sorry for buying me?" He leaned against the wall. "Steel." He answered gruffly.

DragonSong

She sighed, realizing how that must sound to him. She never would have bought it. "Yes, I am." She rubbed the bridge of her nose, where her glasses normally sat.

Peering up at him, Lapis noted, "You...weren't like the others. I didn't even intend to stop in the first place but you were...different. Still unbroken."

A sharp exhale and she pushed away from the wall. "Come on. My house isn't too far from here, we can decide what to do there."

Medievarad

"Unbroken?" Steel huffed. "Not at all, I'm shattered. I just refuse to bow to anyone."

He rolled his eyes. "You don't really know how this slave thing works, huh?"

DragonSong

"I know very well how it works," Lapis replied as she led him through the streets. "I just don't hold with the institution. Here."

She stopped at her door, fishing a key from between her breasts and unlocking it, then gesturing for Steel to enter. "Come in. It's not much, but it's home."

It was three rooms, though only the first could be seen upon entering, a simple room with an open ceiling and a small fire pit in the center, a table and three chairs scattered about rather haphazardly.

Medievarad

"That's a convienient place to hise your keys," Steel said with a soft snort, before walking in after her. He didn't really care whether she knew how slavery worked or not. She was just an exception, most likely nothing different from others.

He shrugged softly. "Home used to be a rotting cell in the fighting pits, anything is better."

DragonSong

"You were a gladiator?" She slipped inside and shut the door, then gestured to a chair. "Please, sit. Are you hungry? Of course you are, they never feed you properly. I'll make something."

She bustled about the small room, lighting a fire quickly and rummaging through a few cupboards for food.

"Are you going to kill me if I leave you unbound?" she asked, glancing over her shoulder at Steel.

Medievarad

"I was," Steel answered, sitting down, one arm resting on the table.

He met her eyes and shook his head. "I have no reason to. Imagine if I did. There were a dozen.of people who saw you buying me, I would be hunted down and killed."

DragonSong

"Fair point." she poured two cups of water from a pitcher and handed one to him. "Here. I imagine you must be pretty dehydrated."

Taking a seat herself, Lapis took a sip from her own cup. "So. Now we have a bit of a problem. I don't own slaves, but you're right- people saw me buy you, and you're a marked slave. If I just let you go, you'll be chained again in less than a day."

Medievarad

"It's really simple," Steel answered after completely emptying he cup in one go. "I am your property now. And if you don't  like it, you just sell me. Like anyone else would do."

DragonSong

"See, I don't think it's that simple." Lapis lowered her cup. "You're not property, you're a person. You have as much right to decide your fate as anyone."

She tilted her head at him. "If you could decide anything, what would you want to do from here?"

Medievarad

"I don't think about it since it ain't an option," Steel snarled in response.

Tags: