Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Fine Drink for a New Arrival (open)

Started by Cthulhus Priest, June 20, 2016, 07:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cthulhus Priest

For a moment Eileen felt her response intangible, obstinate in refusal to form. After a spare moment's though, however, she felt secure in settling on a gentile smile, "Though not sought I shall readily admit the gesture appreciated, Faelis."

The Elf secured her meager leather bags and rose from the table, "I should be returning to the Inn soon." she admits somewhat apologetically, "'Tis proper to offer help there 'fore I start to take up space for the night."

Armorend

As evening was turning to dusk, and the bustle of the day was coming to a close, the work-force outside the tavern was beginning to wrap up. Those at the market were packing their wares, livestock, and other goods away, while the lamps were beginning to be lit, the encroaching forest still darkening the area despite the clearing above.

In the midst of the slow movement of the day toward its dark end, Melmac, the old human clad in his usual, 'unfitting' attire for a wizard, preferring comfort and lacking a desire to stand out, mostly due to not having a reason to. Either way, after an exciting day of aiding two people almost-consecutively with refining their casting of particular spells they had trouble with (And helping people become proficient in magic actually was exciting!), he decided to relish in the company of relatively-recent friends in the tavern.

He pushed the door open, walking in, a few friendly faces noticing him and raising mugs, to which he responded with his own gentle gesture. He wasn't shy, but saw no reason to provoke overt amounts excitement at his own arrival. As he walked to the bar, he noticed two unfamiliar elves at a table. Never wanting to miss the chance to learn about those who had traveled, with their own life experiences, he approached the table and spoke. "Ah, hello. May I sit?"

Valyras

Once more were the doors of the tavern opened. Through them entered a tall man covered in a rather weathered brown cloak. Though the strength and confidence of an experienced traveller emitted by the very presence was missing from him right now. Shaky were his steps on the way to the bar. Accompanied by a slight groan and a facial expression that sang of the worst headache in the history of headaches did he finally reach his goal: A free bar stool. "Don't mess with spatial magic. Basic rule number 1..." Did he murmur more to himself than anybody else, mainly because he didn't really seem to notice much of his surroundings. Thus he also did not notice the guests closest to him moving a bit away with worried looks after those words. Basic rule for non-mages: Close proximity to seemingly failed experiments is generally detrimental to ones health.
The barmaid however did not hold that opinion, or maybe just didn't hear his words, and approached him a few moments later, coming from the table of the 2 elves. "You look like you need something strong." It was a simple statement and Adriel was very thankful for that. A slight nod and a smile send the request for something strong enough to kill the king-headache. After that, he finally took the time to observe the place he had gotten himself into. "Cozy..." Another murmur to himself. He had no plans of making any further contact before getting his painkiller, which was hopefully on the way right about now.

JackieCat

As Faelis stood with Eileen, another man approached, asking if he could sit.  "Of course," Faelis said, stepping to the side.  "I think we were just leaving."

He glanced over at Eileen as yet another person entered the bar.  "So, I'll see you tomorrow?" he asked her.
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Cthulhus Priest

Hmm, that human Faelis gave an answer was rather aged, that would imply a seniority and thus a place of business or at least a trade. There might be merit in starting her hunt for work now.

No, he was here likely after a day of work. Recruiting an unskilled laborer was likely the farthest from his mind. Ah, wait, Faelis had inquired after confirmation hadn't he?

"Yes," Eileen professed with a wide smile, "of course."

Her smile faded as she was overtook with thought, "Mayhap," she began, "we may meet outside this very tavern? Come the morn?" the Elf half-shrugged, "Seems as good a navigational landmark as any I'd be familiar with."

Armorend

Melmac, hearing that they were about to leave, spoke up.

"Er, excuse me. Are you two both from around here? I don't believe I recognize either of you... Pardon my bluntness." He cleared his throat. "I simply like to learn about the lives of people from different lands; provides me new perspectives, you see."

Melmac watched the two, somewhat-nervous at this point. He didn't want to stop them from leaving, but he at least wanted to know if both were truly not of this area.

Valyras

Adriels short observation of the room resulted in the classifaction of your run of the mill tavern slash bar room. Booze after hard work helped wherever one was. That is of course if you look past the rather diverse species present. Many of the common races where present, some beings even he couldn't identify at the first glance. A bit surprised did he finally realized that they actually got along seemingly well. Nothing to be taken for granted, given that most cities had a dominant species and more frictions than links between them. The mages thoughts were disrupted by the arrival of his ordered drink. "Ahh thanks a lot." With a short smile to the barmaid, who then proceded to other patrons, he finally got his painkiller. And of course took a deep swig out of it. Maybe it was his own regenerative abilities finally kicking in or the alcohol actually worked as a painkiller, but finally the headaches lessened. Which was evident on his face as well as a pleasant sigh after setting down the mug.
Now that his immidiate goal was achieved, it was time to plan a bit further ahead. He was in a knew, but at least pretty interesting, place and had nothing to do, no place to stay, basically nothing beyond what he had on his body. A mischievous smile appeared on his lips as once again his attention was drawn away from his thoughts, and his mug, towards one of the tables. 2 elves and an old man where having a conversation. The interesting fact, it seems the 2 elves where also new in the area. More so, the old man liked some new perspective. Adriel surely could add to that. You dont meet an ascended mage that just more or less accidentally fell through a destabilized spatial portal every day.
Getting off his chair, and of course not forgetting his priced mug, he made his way towards the small group. This time already a lot more vigorously than when he entered the tavern and pretty much stumbled to the bar.  "A get together and exchange of travellers? I dont mind to... provide new perspectives as you put it. In exchange for some information about this place instead?" While Adriel spoke mainly to the old man, he by no means tried to exclude the 2 elves, although they seemed to be leaving. "Just arrived here today."

JackieCat

"Sure," Faelis answered Eileen's question, and glanced at the young woman as the other two people approached and started talking.

"I don't live here," Faelis said. "But I'm quite familiar with this place."

He wasn't really sure what these two men were after, so he said no more.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Cthulhus Priest

Eileen nodded as she turn her head to aged fellows, one whom she'd given cursory inspection not long prior.

"Unfortunately, as much as I'd appreciate the exchange, Sirs." She began apologetically, "The Inn, I imagine, will soon start efforts to prepare for the night and I intend to assist." as she explained she hoisted her small bag and compulsively checked its contents as she did so. She seemed to have everything she had entered with, at the least.

JackieCat

"I'd better get back to the inn I'm staying at as well," Faelis said. "It's getting a little late."

He left the inn and went to the place he was staying at.  Tomorrow he would meet with Eileen and they would possibly find her a job.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Cthulhus Priest

Astutely, politely, Eileen bowed her head to each of the two aged gentlemen in turn.

"With fortune, we'll have a proper chance to converse, good Sirs. On the morrow, I wager." her incessant anxiety felt the need to provide, "I bid thee both a well-wished farewell." Erring on expedience Eileen most gracefully fled before her wordy goodbye could jitterishly ramble into a whole, one-sided conversation.

Her feet scrunched into the dirt outside with palpable uncertainty. Her blonde head echoed with 'Could have said's and 'Should have done's already. Eileen had yet to start courting employers and already she scrunched her nose at the rancid stench of second-guesses and paranoid delusion.

Hopefully- Well, hopefully, Faelis could provide some levity betwixt her rabid attempts at charisma. Tomorrow then.

Cthulhus Priest

The tavern stood not fifty paces from Eileen. She was to arrive in much the same garments as the day prior. Circumstance bid that she had little to adorn herself with. Little of it so infallibly practical as her satchel.

The morn was distinctly gelid, cast the waking world in pale hues of many sorts.

Eileen's ears twitched away the cold as her large emerald eyes swayed to and fro in a cursory search for Faelis. "Morn" without minutiae to profer unto it context made for a rather ambiguous time to meet, after she'd had time to reflect on the previous eve.

She spared her unintended vagueness a shrug as she now stood just a pace or two away from the Tavern wall. There was certainly only so ambiguous "Morn" could possibly be interpreted as, most assuredly. Faelis would be along either soon or simply sooner in whatever interpretation the word had.

JackieCat

Faelis came to to the tavern before the sun even rose, and took a seat by the window.

He stood when he saw Eileen approaching, and he went outside to meet her.  "Good morning!" he said cheerily as he walked up to her. "Are you ready to go job hunting?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Cthulhus Priest

Or he'd had her outmaneuvered most entirely.

Eileen pivoted in step to face her most recent and appreciatively enthusiastic acquaintance, "A fair morn unto you as well, Faelis." she crooned in cheerful retort.

Mayhap habitually she adjusted the strap of her meager satchel as she eyed the wakening yonder about them, "And I would be most glad to. However I am▬woefully▬lacking in appreciative knowledge of local businesses. Might I be able to rely on your knowledge of these tracts?" Eileen inquired somewhat reticently but she was most quick to qualify, "Much as I'd hate to be a greater bother."

JackieCat

"No bother at all," Faelis said, glancing around the street, his hands in his pockets.  Then he looked back at Eileen. "You said you were looking fir a job as a scribe of some sort?"

He thought that was what he had said, but he assumed he'd better clarify if he was going to be helping her find a job.  After all, it would be no use to lead her to a library if he was wrong about what she wanted to do. 
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Cthulhus Priest

"A scribe, yes. But whatever comes, comes." Eileen admitted with easy smile. 'Twas a boon to have so lackadaisical in manners an acquaintance in this venture.

She spared a glance askance the town abroad, and though her green eyes were sharp she'd not the critical knowledge to navigate even these spacious streets.

"Though I admit," she starts with familiar pause, "inexperience with wider society leaves me ill-suited to even this comparably rural navigation."

JackieCat

"We can start at the library," Faelis said.  "And don't worry about finding you way around, I know this town well, and if we do happen to get lost, most of the citizens here are friendly and will be happy to point us the way."

He glanced down the street and pointed. "The library's that way.  "It'll take us only a few minutes to get there."

He started down the street in the direction of the library after he made sure Eileen was following.  The streets were fairly busy now, shoppers buying and merchants hawking their wares to the street.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Cthulhus Priest

With relative ease Eileen kept step aside her taller acquaintance.

"Perchance," she starts, "You might exhort some practical advisement unto me that I may hearken unto it in hopes of increasing my chances of employment?" Eileen inquired near breathlessly.

The jabber and jibber of the clangor about the thoroughfare (or very near such area at least) was as so much white noise to her at present. How convenient for the fickleness of fate that she only really think about necessary advice as they walked to the potential employment in question.

JackieCat

"I may not be the best one to ask about how to get employed!" Faelis said. "I've never been one to really hold a job for too long, that's why I travel, you see.  I seem to have a little trouble with authority, I don't much like being told what to do."

He thought for a moment. "Though perhaps I can give a you a bit of advice, or at least what I've found from personal experience.  I've never stuck with a job I didn't like.  Of course, there are times when I needed money bad and I kept a job I hated for a short while, but as soon as I saved up even a bit of coin, I left.  If there's one thing I hate is doing something with my life that I'm not enjoying.  Life's only so long, I mean to make the best of mine."

He paused then, and looked over at Eileen. "You're an elf," he stated. "And so am I, but I'll only a live about ten or so years longer than a human, are you the immortal kind?"

Faelis wasn't sure if this was a rude question, but he usually wasn't bothered with being rude, and now, at least, he didn't mean to be.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Cthulhus Priest

"There's, ah," Eileen cringed away minutely, "more than one type of Elf?" she inquired with so small a voice. 'Tis horribly mortifying to be caught flatfoot on what is likely so common of knowledge.

Oh dear, if she'd not been privy to something of this sort mayhap she's less prepared for this venture than even her anxiety had whispered unto her just this morn.

"Pray tell," she started, just barely pushing beyond that mounting anxious cold in her bosom, "exactly what might the sub-species 'neath the label of "Elf" might there be? Faelis?" Eileen spared half a look to her acquaintance. He'd not be overly rude, probably. But 'twas hardly his mockery that most concerned her in light of this newest context.

Tags: