Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Fine Drink for a New Arrival (open)

Started by Cthulhus Priest, June 20, 2016, 07:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackieCat

"Where have you been?" Faelis laughed at her comment, but he was not intending to be mean, and he answered her next question without mockery.  "There are lots of different kinds of elves, and not one 'main' elf species.  There are elves like me, with lifespan's and features similar to a human, though with quicker and stronger reflexes and senses, and then there are the elves that are almost like gods in their power.  They could be immortal, with amazing power in both magic and physical form.  Then there are elves who are barely three feet tall, with green skin and large ears, kind of like imps, as well as elves who are almost fairies." Faelis shrugged. "Elves range so much, I couldn't begin to name them all.  I don't even know them all myself.  They could be ten feet tall or ten inches tall, have no magic, or be full to the brim with it, have lifespans shorter than a humans, or be impervious to death altogether."

Faelis had many questions to ask Eileen, considering she didn't even know there was more than one kind of elf, she must have been pretty secluded her whole life, but he could see that she was quite shocked already, se his questions could wait.
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Cthulhus Priest

Her mounting paranoid anxiety aside Eileen found herself flatly astounded by the apparent and sheer ubiquitous-ness of her species. Would such great and varied a dichotomy betwixt fellows colloquially labelled 'neath the same breed inspire an all-inclusive attitude or mayhap a violent tribalism amidst cliques of the more similar against the less?

Questions for later. Questioning Faelis for now.

"'Tis certain that there exists some form of catalog of Elven sub-species, no?" seemed an obvious first question. Eileen brushed back hair that wasn't out place, a way of hiding her trepidation amid this tremulous new water.

JackieCat

Faelis shrugged at her question. "Maybe," he said. "I'm sure scholars and adventurers of all kinds have tried to compile a list, but there is no official catalog, as far as I know.  Besides, it's unlikely that one or even a group of beings would be able to list all the different kinds of elves, and even if they could, it would be difficult.  But I do know that there are books that have the most common types of elves, and you could find one of those in most large libraries."

He was itching to ask his own questions of her, but he first wanted to find out exactly how much she didn't know. 
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Cthulhus Priest

What scant little she seemed to know in this new world. What intellectual aplomb she'd ever thought of boasting seemed so humbled by a wayward inquiry.

Eileen's bosom was alight with frightful anxiety. Roiling, icy storms raged and raucously shook beneath her light skin. And what fitfuls of thought occurred were shaking and unwieldy from the chilling anxious gusts.

What did she even have going for her? A repertoire of inapplicable literature? The easily pricked skin of a fair-weather gardener? Of what use to her was the tale of Sir Gawain? What heart would she ever sway in her favor with a retelling of "The Maid and the Selkie"?!

Eileen felt as though she were collapsing, her legs felt as though nerveless struts rather than anything living, "Faelis." she started, traitorous voice warbling from worry and fear, "I-I can't do this. I-I," she breathed in some faint effort to quell the stutters, "don't know what I'm doing. I just need to-"

To what? Was the question. A damnably queer one at that.

"to rest." Eileen answered, to herself just as much as her other. Yes, yes, rest sounded good. Rest held hope to quiet the frightened mind.

JackieCat

She appeared to be having a panic attack.

"You'll be fine," he assured her as she nervously stuttered.  "Just take a few deep breaths."  He placed a comforting hand on her arm as he steered her towards a bench that was placed outside of a flower shop.  "Let's just sit for a moment."

He looked over at her after a giving her a few moments to catch her breath and calm down.  "I'm sure that your skills will be enough for any library here," he said. "And if for some strange reason things here don't work out, I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding work elsewhere."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Cthulhus Priest

Dropped unto the chair with gentle fwomp Eileen slowly drooped further from her unnatural stiffness until she slouched as though an ill-mannered vagabond. The anxiety had ran off as though some satisfied unseen specter. Plump and fat with her worry and excitement and fear.

Now she just felt heavy. Like that fattened specter had strewn atop her. The image of it snoring brought her some sort of distant amusement.

Thoughts frayed like old string and emotion splayed, gooey and messy, afore of her quivering eyes. She had sat and stayed with no controlled confidence nor cloistered ideals. She was taught so much. How grand a waste it seemed now, buried before the baptism.

"Faelis," she looked to her surprisingly patient acquaintance, his eyes served as better flavor than the scenery at the least, "do you know what it's like to work in a library? What the Scholars do, day-to-day?"

JackieCat

OOC: I'm sorry to make you wait so long for a response!

Faelis shrugged in response to her question, taking a moment to answer verbally. "I suppose research.  Some of the libraries around here are so old most of the knowledge in them isn't even known about.  I know some scribes translate books in old languages that not many people can read, or books that are worded in ways that are hard to understand.  I've never really took the time to look into what a librarian does most of the time, I just knew that job was never for me."

He looked into her eyes, her emotions quite clear for him to read, like an open book of the scholars they spoke of.

"Why do you ask?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Cthulhus Priest

Confidence?

Normalcy?

"No reason, really." Eileen offered with lame lilt and a small smile in mouth only. However her face swiftly fell as her eyes left his, left to trace along the arm steadying her own limp shoulder. 'Twas a small touch, truly, but one that most potently reminded the Elf of home. Of her father's distant love, always so paradoxically far in a home so small.

Small. That was her feeling in truest totality. She felt so small. So inadequate and meager at the first step of a world far more treacherously mundane than she'd ever fathomed. Mayhap like her lost home she'd be best off hidden from a world too great and terrible to know. . .

Hidden away much like a scribe would be. Yes. Eileen felt a spark of motivation, a distant promise of safety. Her chest lifted ever slightly still anchored even as it was. Still, it was enough to stand upon the feet that she could feel again.

"Faelis," she gently intoned and looked to catch his eyes once more, "just," Eileen almost bit her lip, almost looked away, "please still be outside for me if they don't take me in? If you would?"

JackieCat

"Sure," Faelis said when she asked him to wait.

He would have to ask her exactly where sh'ed been her whole life that she was so timid and wary of the outside world.  Maybe she'd been a prisoner somewhere, or had lived in a village even smaller and more secluded than La'marri.

"I can come inside with you, if you like," he added.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Tags: