Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Sentence of Solitude

Started by Lion, July 15, 2016, 11:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

"I'm just as surprised as you are.  I guess stranger things have happened...  People that come from where I come from, tend not to believe things like that, or are quick to condemn it to the impurity of magic," he said.  He didn't feel like he had any right to condemn her, not after his own trespasses.  He was no saint.  He was in a way like her, a servant led astray.

He blushed a little, averting his gaze to fix himself some tea.  His hands were shaking a little.  But he tried to think little of it.  "I don't know if I'm worthy to serve, but I understand it was the place your old master put you in.  Maybe...we can be friends first, or at least refer to each other as that?  I'm not much for being the master of myself, let alone of someone else.  You said your father was Serenian, then you must know this country yes?  I have no one here.  I'm alone like you.  Perhaps you can help me...understand these strange people?"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Zero

"The impurity of magic?" Honestly she hadn't even realized that Christer might not be Serenian until that moment. Alison had no idea how close to the border of Connlaoth she had been abandoned. "The first thing you have to understand about Serendipity is that you're going to see magic pretty much everywhere. A very large amount of the people here have some type of magic."

She didn't even touch the idea of them being friends. When had she had a friend? It had been too long to really remember. Besides, Christer was her master now. She couldn't live without him. That didn't seem like friendship so much as her leeching off of him.

Alison brought her cup to her lips and sipped the tea thoughtfully. "Does it bother you? The idea of me serving you or calling you master? I think you'll be a very good master."

Lion

Christer hadn't know how to approach the fact that he was not Serenian with her, he thought it was quite apparent since he was not quite as slender as the others around him, but he supposed it wasn't a point of interest for her at the moment.  And neither was it for him.  It wasn't like being Connlaothian had given him anything more in life.  He wasn't any better off than she.

"It isn't something I'm used to," he said with a nod.  He met her gaze, searching her features.  "I don't think so.  I'm a bumbling fool.  I'm not even a very good knight."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Zero

It hardly made much of a difference where he was from. He had saved her life for no other reason, that she could see, than that he could. Alison felt her cheeks flush a little when his eyes caught hers, they were like a much darker pink than hers. "Well you don't have to be a good knight to be a good master."

She really wasn't sure why someone would object to having a willing slave. Of course back when Victor had first taken her she'd fought him with all her might, pitiful as it had been, but she had spent far longer a slave than free by this point. Freedom was unfamiliar, even frightening, to her after so long relying on a master to direct her actions, she didn't feel comfortable making her own decisions.

Alison was sure she was bound to make all the wrong ones. "I can call you Christer instead of master, if you prefer." It was only what she would be calling him. In her mind he was still Master.

Lion

He supposed it wouldn't be so bad.  It was a turn of events that though unexpected, made him somehow feel comforted in knowing he wasn't alone now.  Even if she didn't even know him or who he was exactly.  He was content in doing what he could to help her.

"Christer will be good," he agreed with a nod.  He smiled and sipped his tea quietly for a moment.  "We are going south further into Serendipity.  I forgot how could it could be in the mountains," he cleared his throat after a second.

"Are you feeling better now?  How's the tea?  Would you like some sugar in it?" he asked.  Clearly he'd gotten the grasp of what it was to be a master.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

"Yeah, the mountains are a bit cold." Alison mused softly, still cupping her tea in both hands as she enjoyed the warmth seeping into her fingers. She scrunched her shoulders, shrinking down a little with a blush as he asked about her tea. "Oh no, that's okay. It was so nice of you to make me tea at all. It's good."

It hardly mattered if it was good or not. Christer's kindness made it good. She took another sip before clearing her throat softly. "Have you been to Serendipity before? My family is from Moonspear."

Lion

"I...have never been outside of Connlaoth.  All of my family is from the north.  Alrein, a small township.  My father was a knight.  His father was a knight.  I think you can probably see a pattern here," he said with a chuckle.  The warm tea was a nice distraction, and he sipped it when he wanted to mull over his awkwardness.

It was still sinking in he had to admit.  He wasn't accustomed to the thought of having a personal servant.  Which was probably why the name bothered him so much.  If they kept talking though, maybe it wouldn't be so weird.

"I've heard of Moonspear.  The name sounds...hrm, tough.  For a Serenian name.  No offense meant.  What is Moonspear like?  Tell me all about it."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Alison couldn't help but smile softly as he spoke of his family. A family tradition of knighthood was certainly admirable. Her father and brothers had served Serendipity as knights, specifically the Order, and she had great respect for knights. What young noble girl didn't admire knights as they grew up?

"Moonspear was named after the first Queen, who was Shaith the Moonspear, after the enchanted weapon she wielded, so I guess it would sound tough. It's in the Riverlands, and borders Kia's Court, which is the Queen's province. The rivers provide excellent trade routes so the province is prosperous." Alison furrowed her brow as she tried to think of other things to tell him about her previous home. "I think the current ruling family is Orlov...we don't have dukes in Serendipity, the provinces are ruled by the High Lords and Ladies."

Lion

Christer never did well with emotions, not when they were coming from someone else.  And not really when they were coming from his own person come to think of it.  But coping had little to do with the conversation at hand.  They both could only do with what life had given them.

"No wonder things are so crazy down south.  But...I guess up North isn't much better.  Our dukes are always fighting, many of them petty squabbles.  Nothing that has been serious, until recently."  He grew quiet, taking his time with the tea.

"To be honest, I've always been sort of curious about traveling.  I guess now that I'm doing it...it seems more daunting.  But I can't turn back.  I'm already headed in one direction.  It'd be senseless."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Alison didn't know what he meant about it not being a wonder things were crazy "down south" just going off what she'd said. Because they didn't have dukes? The High Lords and Ladies were fairly comparable in their roles, she thought. She was no High Lady, but she had been a lady, a long time ago.

"What made you decide to travel now?" A lot of people thought about traveling, not all of them ever went through with it. She supposed Victor had forced her to travel a little, but the farthest she'd wanted to go was to Arca and to her married home - wherever that would have been. "Was it the war? I heard things were bad right now." Well, even worse than usual. Mages always had it bad in Connlaoth, at least that was what she'd been taught. She didn't know why any of them bothered to stay in a country that hated them so.

Lion

"I..."  Christer didn't want to say it out loud.  It would make reality far too much to bear.  Yet the fact of the matter remained.  It was real, and he couldn't escape it.  He could only atone for what he'd done.  What kind of a knight was he if he didn't face up to his mistakes?  His accountability was all that would save him.

Or was he beyond redemption?

"I failed," he said quickly.  If only his tongue could maintain that speed of thought.  "I failed...my duty.  I made a mistake and now I must atone for it...  Do you know what it's like?  To have your whole life crumble around you in one fell swoop?"

Gods what a stupid question.  He immediately blanched.  "Oh, I'm sorry...I...wasn't ...thinking.  I never do..."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Alison wasn't sure what traveling had to do with atonement, or what mistake Christer could possibly have made that obviously upset him so much. His rather insensitive question did make her face fall a little, but that was more from thinking about her family than being insulted.

"It's okay." She said softly as he tried to apologize, setting her cup aside with a sigh. "Just because you think someone else might have it worse than you doesn't mean you can't feel bad about the horrible things that happened to you. I'm sorry that you feel like your life is in crumbles, but Serendipity isn't so bad. Maybe you can make a new, better life if you don't beat yourself up over past mistakes?"

Lion

"Thank you.  Those are kind words.  I'll think them over, I guess time is all I really have now.  And you so to speak.  I guess we're kind of lumped together in this now aren't we?" he asked with a chuckle.

Christer reached across and put a hand on her cheek, making sure the coldness he'd felt earlier had dissipated.  He smiled with some satisfaction, happy that he'd been able to help somebody.  Maybe she was right.  Maybe there were such things as second chances.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

A smile twitched at the corner of her lips, a soft flush coming to her face as his hand pressed against her cheek.

"Yes, we are. We've got each other now, Christer. Neither of us have to face the world alone." She said softly, placing one of her hands against the back of his as she closed her eyes and pressed a little further into the warm touch.

Lion

He supposed it wasn't customary to toast with tea cups, even small wooden ones like what he'd had with him, but he was happy enough to do so in that moment.

"I'll toast to that," he said and lightly tapped her cup with his, only spilling a little bit of the tea out of it.  "Sorry.  I'm a little clumsy.  I'm surprised I didn't fall on my sword in squirehood."  He laughed.

"But...thanks though.  I mean it.  It's nice to...not be alone."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

A soft giggle escaped Alison as their cups rapped together and a tiny amount of tea splashed over the edge. She brought her free hand up to cover her lips with two fingers as she tried to stifle the sound. It had been a long time since it had been safe to laugh or for there to be things to laugh about for that matter.

"It's nice to have good company." She agreed with a smile. "And don't apologize for being clumsy. I'm sure it just adds to your charms."

Lion

"Oh...h-huh?"  It didn't take much for his cheeks to flush burning red at the mention of 'charms' even if the word was meant in little more than innocent phrasing.

"Hrm, it's uh, uh-um.  I mean, thanks," he said with a smile, nodding to her.  "I'm just trying too hard I'm sure.  You should have seen me try and handle riding a horse for the first time.  I think I broke my wrist the first time.  Then sprained my ankle the second.  But I'm much better now I promise."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Her head tilted slightly as Alison observed Christer's now burning cheeks with a sheepish smile. Had she embarrassed him?

Whoops.

"Oh dear, really?" Her pink eyes were wide as she looked him over. It would be quite a rough go of things if her master was so prone to injury! At least she was there now. To her it sounded as if Christer was in need of someone looking after him. "Either way it sounds as if I will have my hands full trying to take care of you."

Lion

Great.  Now what did he do?  She now thought him clumsy and incapable of taking care of himself.  He supposed in part that was true.  This was all very new to him, and he forced himself to keep from focusing on the negative.  It was easier said than done.

"Oh...I guess I'm lucky to have found you then.  It'd be...nice to have someone looking out for me," he said, growing quiet.  "Gods is it hot in here?  Or is it just me?"  His cheeks were burning red.  And he avoided eye contact as he sipped his tea...until really he was sipping the nothing that remained.

A voice called his name from outside, and Christer stood to see it was the caravan master.  "Boy!  Get out here!  NOW!"

And Christer immediately obeyed.  "Y-yes?  Is something the matter?" he asked.

"Yes!  I told you to get firewood, and what did you come back with?  A girl!  A strange girl in the forest.  Who is she anyway?  She better not be thinking she can catch a ride for free when everyone else paid good money.  Including you!  No Stragglers!  Give her food and water and send her on her way."

"I-I can't!" Christer immediately countered.  "She needs help.  And I'm not going to leave her behind.  How could you be so heartless?  She's with me.  I-I'll work guard duty tonight or-or something....to make up for the inconvenience."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

"I'm the lucky one, you saved my life. You're my master now, and I want to be a good slave. Taking care of you will be much nicer than serving him was." Alison pointed out, watching him with a tilt of her head. Had she done or said something wrong? He'd pointed out that the mountain was chilly just a couple minutes ago.

She jumped when a voice suddenly yelled for Christer. Her pink eyes went wide as she was left alone in the tent. For a moment she's forgotten that there were other people just on the other side of the flimsy walls.

Alison listened to the exchange silently for a few moments, until her sweet master was attempting to fumble for a way to make up for the inconvenience of having her there.

She couldn't let him shoulder any more trouble on her account. Gathering her skirts, she scrambled out of the tent, tears welling up in her eyes already. She didn't know how sympathetic this man could be persuaded to be, but tears couldn't hurt. Not that it took much to make her cry. "Wait, please. Sir, please don't take anymore out on Christer. It's my fault he didn't bring wood. He's been terribly kind to me and I understand that everyone has to pay their way. He shouldn't have to do even more for me."

Alison clutched her skirts, looking up at the caravan master and avoiding looking at Christer. "I- I don't have any money, but couldn't I earn my keep some other way? I'm a hard worker, even though I know I don't look like much. I can clean, I can sew, and I'm not a horrible cook. Can I pay with service, please?"

Tags: