Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Love Like Stardust [Goblin]

Started by Juno, July 18, 2016, 07:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

He was almost in a daze as he sat down, watching Kendall disappear for a moment before reappearing with the doctor that was only vaguely familiar to him. His eyes widened at the doctor's words, shaking his head quickly and feeling bashful as his cheeks warmed to a pleasant color.

"Not sick. I fell in the mud but... I hurt my hand. Well, wrist," he clarified, gingerly holding up his hurt arm for the doctor to look. "I sort of...fell out of a tree?"

"In the trees with Kendall, hm?" The man leaned over to examine him with a few muttered words, grasping his forearm with one hand to steady it and lightly touching his swollen wrist. Jack couldn't help but wince, gritting his teeth against a louder outburst. Couldn't have the whole tavern knowing he'd gone and hurt himself. He really didn't need that level of hovering.

"Smarts, eh?" The doctor raised a brow, observing how tense Jack was over such a small touch. Once he relaxed again he palpated the area gently until he'd observed all he needed to, releasing him with a small sigh and turning to address Kendall instead with an affectionate pat to her shoulder. "Seems broken. He'll just need it bandaged, he'll be fine. No liftin' with that arm until it heals, though. Think you can manage, girly?"

Jack made a small noise of protest, frowning and shaking his head. "Can't you do it?"

The doctor chuckled, gesturing over his shoulder at the bar. "Boy, I came for yer wedding. And drink. I didn't bring anything here, but we can get to my place if you can manage it," he offered with a shrug, not finding it to be such an emergency that leaving the party was necessary.

GoblinFae

Kendall scowled as the doctor brushed Jack's pain and suffering aside as if it was nothing. Even she could tell he was probably feeling close to passing out and the man just wanted to shirk his required duties for a free drink. Well absolutely not! She was not going to have any of it. With her hands on her hips and her jaw set in determination, Kendall bullheadedly stepped into Jameson's path, effectively stopping him in his tracks.

"You set it or I'm uninviting you," she told him firmly. "This is my husband on my wedding day. It's the least you could do. Or do you make all the young brides haphazardly put their husbands back together again so soon after their nuptial vows?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

The old man's eyes widened at Kendall's demand, his cloudy mind seeing the reason in her request. He looked Jack over again, noticing at last how he seemed like he was barely holding on. There was pain in his eyes that wasn't being vocalized, and with his new bride right there it seemed like the young man was trying to make it seem less serious than it actually was. But he'd felt the bone and knew it to be broken, he'd just been hoping he could slip out of his duties if Kendall was eager to care for her new husband herself.

His eyes softened and he set a hand to her arm in an attempt to soothe the tension between them that had reared its head. "Of course not. I'll help. Give me a few minutes, I'll fetch what I need," he said, slipping around them to exit the tavern and head down the way to his own home. Jack just hung his head, feeling a little humiliated that Kendall had needed to stick up for him at all.

"It isn't so bad, Kendall, I'll be okay," he mumbled, trying to ignore that the more time dragged on the more his injury pained him. "I could have done it myself, you didn't need to bully the old man."

GoblinFae

She watched him with hawk-eyes as he left before finally softening her gaze and turning back to Jack. "He was much the same when I was a child," she replied dismissively with a wave of her hand. "Says I'm not sick and then when I'm half-dead asks why he wasn't sent for sooner. He's as useless as I am daft."

Kendall spoke of her own chronic illness as if it was nothing though it truly had nearly killed her on several occasions. There were whole seasons where she had been unable to get out of bed while struggling to just breathe. It was something though Jack would have to come to terms with in time now that they were wed. It was one of the reasons though why Kendall cared so deeply for her childhood friend in his moment of weakness; one day he would have to do the same for her.

Brushing away some hair from his brow, she placed a dry and cool hand to his forehead. "Poor Jackie," she murmured, her voice full of pity. "You're burnin' up."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

Jack nodded distractedly, just trying to keep very still in his chair. The buzzing of conversation and laughter throughout the tavern was giving him a headache but all he did was shut his eyes against it. At least until he felt Kendall's hand upon his forehead, eyes opening quickly and studying her with curiosity for her concern over him. He was glad she had any at all, but it was interesting to see in someone he wasn't related to by blood.

"Just a little." He cracked a small smile for her but leaned into her touch slightly. "I'll be okay," he tried to assure her, relaxing a little once he caught sight of the doctor upon his return.

The old man had only brought what was necessary: a spool of bandaging cloth, a small knife, and a few pins to secure it around his arm. Jack held his arm out to him wordlessly, studying the man with interest as he worked on wrapping him up.

There was a pinch of pain as the bone was set together, but after a few moments it was gone again and tension began to flow out of him. Once it was finished most of his hand and forearm were wrapped up, but he didn't mind and was just happy to have it done.

"Keep that clean and dry. Come see me once a week and I'll change it out for you," he offered. "Unless your bride would rather try it herself."

Jack just shook his head with a wry smile, suspecting he already knew the answer. Kendall seemed to want it to be done "right" for him, at least.

"I'll come see you. Thank you so much for your help. It feels better already," he insisted politely, eyes catching sight of the group of men still at the bar and the empty place that had been left for the doctor. "Please enjoy the rest of the party, sir. I'm sorry for the trouble."

GoblinFae

Kendall watched the doctor work, closely. She was ever vigilant for the possibility that he would try to take shortcuts or not do his job correctly. Ubino was not a malicious man but he liked his drink and already had had enough to concern the new bride. She wanted only the best for her husband especially in his badly injured state.

So when he was at last finished, Kendall was finally able to relax and smile faintly. She dismissed the man with a bob of her head. "Thank you for the wedding gift of my husband returned to one piece," she thanked the doctor genuinely.

Turning to Jack though, she gave him a gentle hug before looking at his face in concern. "Do you want to return home or would you rather rest here, Jackie? I don't want you getting worse either way but it would probably be best to get you out of these wet clothes."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

He watched the old man return to his companions but quickly brought his attention back to Kendall, eyeing her curiously for her concern over him. It was...sweet, honestly. He wasn't quite used to it yet but she seemed genuine enough.

"Yeah, you're probably right," he agreed, shivering in discomfort for the way the damp fabric clung to him. Looking around, though, he couldn't really find a reason he wanted to be there. Sure, his family was around but he didn't really have a desire to discuss what had happened and deal with their worrying. Just the thought was giving him a headache.

"Home," he muttered, already moving to stand on his own and being extra careful to keep his hurt arm still. Even with it bandaged he was worried he might cause it to hurt somehow if he jostled it at all. "I'll be fine at home. I just want get away from...this." He gestured at those gathered before them, not really meaning anyone in particular but wanting some peace and quiet.

GoblinFae

She was at his side in a heartbeat. The moment he was on his feet, Kendall was slipping her arm around his waist and tucking herself in close against his uninjured side. "Home then," she murmured softly, already leading him out the door before anyone dared to intercept them for more congratulations or a dance.

Walking slowly to not jostle his arm she turned her head to look at him curiously. "Do you not like the wedding then? Or is it just the party? I understand that my family is...different in comparison to yours and that I am most odd. I'm sure this wasn't the sort o thing you were hoping for when you were told you'd be married to a blushing bride."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

He wasn't really sure how to express his appreciation for her help, only managing to mumble a quiet "thank you" as they finally made their way back outside. Her question was a little startling, though. It wasn't the first time she'd brought up the oddities of herself and her family, seemingly under the assumption that he didn't "like" them.

"I don't really know what I expected but the wedding was fine, Kendall. It just seems a little odd to me, the party seems more for everyone else than for us. Dancing is fun and all, but- I just want to go back to normal. Or figure out what our normal will be, I guess." He shrugged, feeling like he wasn't really conveying his point well. Was it really so strange to want to get to know his wife? Sure there was cause to celebrate, at least for their future, but they hadn't really talked since they'd been children. He didn't know what she liked or what she wanted.

That gave him pause, though, and he stopped abruptly with a slightly-guilty smile. "Oh. Did... Did you want to stay?" Maybe she was just being polite and he was ruining her fun after all. "I don't mind sitting for a bit if you want to go back."

GoblinFae

Kendall shrugged. "I can dance anywhere. I don't need their music to do so," she replied after a moment's thought. "It'll be better for you once you're tucked into bed and out of these clothes. Perhaps I can make you some soup and medicine for the pain," she added more to herself than to him before looking back up at him in surprise.

"Are you hungry? I've only seen you eat the apple and that's not much of a meal." At the mention of the fruit, Dewey who had been waiting outside and trailed behind them, immediately hopped up onto Jack's shoulder and nuzzled his furred cheek against the man's larger one. He purred softly in apology as he allowed his tail to wrap around the back of Jack's neck in a form of embrace.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Jack smiled some but just shook his head. He couldn't really imagine dancing without music. It would be awkward. How would he even keep a rhythm? He never even felt the pull of dance unless he heard music so it did seem quite strange to him, but he was too out of it to really vocalize it in any meaningful way.

"That sounds good. Really good," he muttered, sighing under his breath and trying not to show how worn out he was already. Outwardly he probably wasn't doing a very good job of it, leaning on her like he was and shuffling along, but the last thing he wanted was to show his new wife any more weakness. There was no way that would make the start of their relationship any better, or easier, in his mind.

Her question left him with a hesitant look on his face he wasn't even aware of. He was hungry but he also didn't want to trouble her to prepare something if she didn't want to or didn't know how. The last thing he wanted was to rest more burdens upon her that day than he already was.

The touch of Dewey's tail to his neck stopped words from coming out even as he'd opened his mouth to speak. He inhaled sharply and tensed up for a moment before realizing it was just her squirrel pet and relaxing again with a short laugh. He was an affectionate little fellow. Jack felt bad for being wary of him before. If he was already warmed up to him he probably had just been scaring the poor creature as she'd had told him already. Not feeling strong enough to move his good arm from around Kendall he tilted his head slightly to press cheeks with the squirrel to return the brief affection.

"I'm okay for now, just want to rest. Ma will probably make a big dinner when they all get home. You know, to celebrate and all," he offered, not wanting her to feel obligated.

"I'm sorry I didn't finish giving you the tour," he apologized, realizing what they'd missed as he spoke and already feeling a little sad. Getting himself hurt wasn't just a small problem, it was going to slow down the progress on fixing up the old house. They'd be without a proper home for...well, he had no idea how long but it was certainly going to take longer than he'd ever imagined previously.

"Shit, Kendall. The house. I really messed things up today, huh? I'll be working with one arm now." He shook his head, assuming she'd be disappointed and frustrated with himself for that but trying hard to keep it down.

GoblinFae

She could tell that Jack was struggling and quietly rubbed his back hoping that it would help comfort him. Kendall had no words to make the situation less awkward for them and she had enough self-awareness to understand that she likely would make things difficult for him in the present and definitely in the future. She was not a normal girl. The least she could do now in the moment would be to give him this peace.

"The house will be ready when it's ready. There's no use crying over spilled milk. I can see the rest for myself later. Dewey says we saw all the best parts anyway. What matters now is getting you home and dry," she reminded, leading him home.

Kendally was grateful when she could finally push the door open and lead him inside to where he had showed her his room was. "Does it hurt badly? I can make some medicine for the pain and it will help you sleep." She tilted her head as she asked her question again, still very concerned that he was hiding his true feelings.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

He wasn't sure he trusted the opinion of the squirrel, but it was mildly offensive. Of course a good portion of what was left of the tour was just farmland and the old house but he was rather proud of the work he'd already completed for it so it was a little disheartening she didn't seem excited at all to see it with him eventually.

Just the sight of home was such a relief, though. Following her inside he nearly settled himself on the bed out of sheer exhaustion, but he remembered his damp clothes and forced himself to remain standing beside it instead. Jack didn't quite understand where her kindness was coming from. He didn't think he'd done anything to deserve so much care and fussing over.

He looked down at her through a daze, shaking his head gently. "You don't have to do all that, but... If you want to and you could I would appreciate that," he answered, gingerly lifting his arms to begin shedding his damp wedding clothes. Every time he accidentally put pressure on his injured forearm he froze and hissed, but he eventually untangled himself from his coat and top to leave his chest bare, if still a little damp.

Medicine was a mystery to him but the last thing he needed on top of everything that had happened that day was to be poisoned if she didn't know what she was doing. Still, he trusted she would know her own limitations and not put him through any unnecessary misery. "I'll get changed and settled. Feel free to use anything you need in the house," he offered.

GoblinFae

"I will do it," she replied decisively, unwilling to truly take no for an answer. Her husband was injured and being stubborn. She was not about to let him continue to show a brave face simply to save face and protect his own wounded pride. Pausing with pursed lips for only a second to watch him attempt to get undressed, Kendall finally retreated from his bedroom and into the kitchen. As much as she wanted to help him further, she knew that the sooner he got some medicine in him, the sooner he would start to feel better.

Humming softly to herself, she went about searching all the cabinets in the kitchen for the items she felt she would need. Herbs were sniffed and felt as she attempted to decipher between them. Bitter turmeric root was ground up with the mortar and pestle into a fine orange powder that was then mixed together with chopped willow bark and dumped into a pot of boiling water. The water swirled a deep russet orange while the bark floated up to the top. bouncing along in the wake of the air bubbles.

With a great deal of concentration, Kendall carefully stirred and watch the concoction before finally deeming it ready to consume. First, she strained out the bark pieces and then, she poured the orange tea into a cup for drinking. She was about to bring the medicine to Jack when she hesitated, having remembered how bitter the medicine could be. The turmeric would cause it to burn on the tongue anyway with the same bitterness of having too much cinnamon but perhaps she could sweetness some of it for him anyway. Grabbing a jar of what looked like honey, Kendall spooned out an extremely generous glob of the pale yellow goop and dumped into the tea with a few quick swirls. Then, and only then did she at last return with the tea for her new husband.

"It's ready Jackie. Careful you don't burn your tongue though," she cautioned as she stepped into the room. "It's still quite hot."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

It took Jack nearly the whole time she'd been gone to get himself changed and settled into bed, and it had truly been an exhausting task for him. At least he was a little more comfortable in normal clothes.

A thin sheen of sweat coated him and he fidgeted uncomfortably until Kendall returned. He tried to seem as normal as possible, sitting up to accept the cup from her and nodding his head in thanks.

"I'll go slow, thank you so much," he murmured, raising it to his lips to sip gently. His eyes widened, though, unable to mask his surprise quickly enough for the unexpected bitterness and sharp sweetness of the drink. The honey didn't really hide the flavor of the medicine, it just ended up being an accompanying flavor that made the drink taste odd. But medicine was never meant to taste amazing, was it?

Jack smiled tightly and bowed his head in thanks before continuing to sip at the drink dutifully.  He was determined to finish it. "Thank you, Kendall, really," he mumbled, scooting over a little to make room for her on the bed if she wished to sit down. "I'm sorry that today was so...strange. I promise I'll make it up to you when I'm better."

GoblinFae

Kendall sat down snuggled up beside Jack with her feet tucked in behind her and an arm wrapped around his shoulders. "Every day is different. There's no need to worry about making it up to me. You've done nothing wrong," she replied gently, rubbing soothingly at his shoulder.

"Just get better for me okay, Jackie? That's all I care about." Kendall leaned in to kiss his cheek before letting her head fall to rest on his shoulder while Dewey curled up comfortably on Jack's other one. "Get some rest. It should be quiet for a while with everyone dancing and drinking the night away at the tavern."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

"I'm resting, aren't I?" He sipped at the drink, trying not to let the liquid linger on his tongue but failing and continuously getting the odd swirl of bitter and sweet flavors that really weren't combining well. Her small affections continued to surprise him, but they weren't off putting in the least. Dewey, though, he would need to get used to. The tiny claws seeking purchase in the fabric of his shirt and lightly scratching against his skin made him tense momentarily, the sensation itself shocking even though he understood that the squirrel meant him no harm.

Jack huffed quietly, not liking the idea of her first day married and at home with him entirely revolving around him. The last thing he wanted was to leave her bored and to her own devices while he napped the rest of the afternoon away.

"I want to know more about you, please. If you don't mind talking, uh- What would you be doing today if we hadn't, um, gotten married? You said you like...clouds, right?" Jack chuckled nervously, unsure if he was remembering correctly through the fuzzy memories of pain. "Watching clouds? ...how do they tell you stories?" he asked, not all that imaginative himself and a little lost on the concept.

GoblinFae

She rubbed his shoulder soothingly as she rested against him. His interest in her was surprising. Most people just laughed at or ignored Kendall. "I suppose I would just do normal things," she replied with an indifferent shrug. "The goats would need tending. Wool would need to be carded for dyeing later. The clouds are too eager today for good story telling. They are all clamoring for a chance to be read. That's why they're so full and heavy looking all bunched up together."

Kendall pointed out to the window towards the sky to prove her point. "On a good day," the woman continued, "one or two will come along and form shapes for a viewer to read. You just have to know what they're staying. When you're feeling better I could show you." She pursed her lips in thought before adding, "that is if you want to. I know it's not normal."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

He was following easily enough until she started explaining about the clouds. He wasn't sure if it was the arm or the stress or the concept entirely but he really wasn't getting it, and he felt a bit guilty for having her explain it to him so soon.

Tilting his head he looked out the window at the grey, indistinguishable blobs in the sky when she pointed but he didn't truly understand what she was getting at. "Well...yes, you'll have to show me. On a good day," he clarified with a slightly playful smile, just hoping she wouldn't catch on to his confusion. He really was interested and wanted to make an effort to explore her own interests and perhaps find things they could bond over as a couple.

Jack sipped at the drink she'd made for him in silence for a moment but curiosity got the better of him and he set the cup aside once he'd had enough. "Do you enjoy caring for goats and other animals? Or was it more of a...chore at your home?" he wondered, reaching out to gently brush his fingers along Dewey's tawny coat. Surely he wasn't a chore but he wasn't sure how she felt about it as a duty.

GoblinFae

Kendall either did not notice or did not care that Jack did not understand what she meant. It was a confusion that she was used to and had just learned to ignore in people over time. After all it was much easier to go on with life with her head in the clouds then to let herself become upset by being the only one who understood the way her mind worked.

His question did confuse her though. With her head still on his shoulder she found her brow furrowing in thought as she listened to Dewey purr softly in contentment. "It's my purpose in life. I don't understand. It's neither good nor bad. Just the way things are. I have always done it and I always will because that is how it's done."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]