Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lessons From the Devil and the Plowman [M]

Started by DragonSong, August 04, 2016, 12:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

The applause were much more subdued this time around- less people, and they were all tired now- but Aria smiled and nodded gratefully for them, tucking her flute away as she slipped back toward the bar.

"I suppose that's worth the night," the serving girl sniffed.

Aria rolled her eyes and grumbled into the glass of water that was placed in front of her. She glanced sidelong at Vance. "Not as terrible as you imagined, huh?"

Lion

"Maybe the free drink helped," he shrugged.  He eyed her flute.  A decent weapon of choice, and much better than the fucking lute she was playing earlier.  Or was it a mandolin, or was it something entirely different.  He didn't know and he didn't care, but he wondered if she ever got tired of it.

"But still, pretty good, I guess.  I'm no bard, so i can't say I know much of anything about it.  Still, it was an interesting tune.  Got a name for it?"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

She arched an eyebrow. "The Fall? You've never heard it- or at least some version?" She shrugged. "I've never been much for history, but it's one of the better known stories."

Lion

"I've heard of it, but I didn't know people cared enough to make a song about it.  I say it's ancient history, let it stay there," he said.  He winked at her.  "There are more interesting things happening in the here and now.  What more could someone want?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

"Oh, but people always want to hear their history," Aria protested with a laugh. "Not the true version, mind you, the romanticized one. Makes them feel all nostalgic."

She snorted and downed the rest of her drink. "So. What great workings of the here and now have you so captivated, hm?"

Lion

Presently, it was the somewhat half decent company in front of him.  "To be honest?  You," he said, being completely sincere.  "Other than the barding, your company isn't completely intolerable."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

She gave a startled laugh and arched an eyebrow at him. "Really? Because the barding is a lot of...well, my company."

She chuckled again and tilted her head at him. "Is that you trying to charm a girl?"

Lion

"Me trying?  Oh, no.  You haven't seen me try yet.  Whose to say I'm trying to charm anyone?" he said with a chuckle and a smirk.  "I'm just having a casual conversation with you.  Two fellow patrons in a bar, two people sharing a drink, two people climbing on each other later on in the night."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

That almost made her choke on her water. She sputtered, then laughed, eyes twinkling. "Well, someone's quite sure of himself," she chuckled.

Leaning back in her seat, she tossed him a wink and added, "Y'know, if you're trying to get under a girl's skirts you may consider not insulting her profession."

Lion

"Insult you?  Such a gorgeous creature?  Never," Vance said with a small grin.  "Bartender?  A drink if you wouldn't mind.  On me."  He was given the same thing he had been drinking and turned the glass over to her.

"The least I could do is return the favor.  After your display of generosity."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

She laughed. "Well hey, I'm not gonna say no. Cheers." The man was certainly much more pleasant after a free drink.

Though he'd just bought her one... So maybe it was just the alcohol in general.

She sipped her drink and tilted her head at him, birdlike. "So whatcha in town for? Stayin' long?"

Lion

Vance moved to sit closer to her, scooting in and leaning on the counter.  He didn't want to sound like a creep but...she smelled really good.  Like cigars and meat.  If that smell was bottled, he'd buy the hell out of it and he would just spray on everyone he met. 

He grinned just a little, the corner of his mouth crooking just a bit.  "Business probably.  I haven't figured it out much, but I tend to find myself busy with a business sort of activity at some point.  So I don't think it'll be difficult for me to find work.  And before you ask, odd jobs.  The odder the better."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Aria laughed. Maybe it was the drink, or the atmosphere, or just him, but he made it easy to laugh. She leaned a little closer to him in turn, propping her chin in her palm. "Alright, how odd? I do some other work myself- bet you another round I've done odder jobs than you," she challenged with a grin.

Lion

His eyes widened with interest.

"I might just take that bet," he said with a chuckle.  Oh this ought to be good.  "You first, since this was your proposal."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"Hmm." She tapped a finger to her lips, brow furrowed in thought. "The oddest job- oh! Got one." She smirked, cleared her throat, then widened her eyes at him and said in quietly dramatic disbelief, "Once, I had a man pay me thirty sovereigns a night for a fortnight just to sing his pet to sleep."

She took a sip of water, then added, "His pet was "invisible", by the way. Man was completely barmy. But he was rich, and a little handsy, so I didn't mind practicaly robbing him." She frowned, then said consideringly, "Although...maybe he really did have some invisible pet. Ya never know, right?"

Winking and dropping out of story-teller mode, she prompted, "Right the, your turn."

Lion

"Oh, how exciting.  Well, did you actually rob him?  I mean, take a little extra than what he offered to pay you?  I'll admit, that's pretty odd.  But you'll never believe me when I tell you it doesn't pay to rob a fish cart.  Really, it's probably the worse thing I can think of in the world at this moment," he said with a laugh.

"So I clung to the side of a passing wagon, figure I could make a quick score.  So when I was ready, and told the old man to give me everything he had on him, the first thing he grabs is a dead fish which apparently he'd been saving for his lunch, and BAM!  Smacked me hard across the face with the head.  He continued the assault and wrestling a slippery fish away from a firm grip - even an old one - is damn near impossible!  Finally I gave up, trying to clamor over the store in the back, and managing to escape with nothing to show for it.

"My clothes, well, I had to burn them.  And I smelled like fish for the next two months.  It was terrible.  And yes I realized I admitted to robbing an old man.  Well, attempting to.  And failing, miserably."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Aria tossed her head back and laughed, loud and chiming, evidently not giving a single damn if she drew attention.

"Oh you've got to be kidding me," she chortled as she looked at him again. "A dead fish? You got your ass handed to you by an old man with a-" She desolved into giggles. "Alright, alright, you definitely win. Hey! Another round, on me." She gestured to the bartender and then between herself and Vance.

Settling back, she quirked an eyebrow at her companion. "So you're a theif then. I mean, professionally, not in the "I'll overcharge for my services" kinda way."

Lion

"I don't know if I'd say even professionally.  I've had my stints with the law, I'll admit.  But I don't think a professional would let themselves get chickened by an old man with a fish.  Let me tell you though, it's more dangerous than I would have thought.  But if you're asking...yeah, I've thieved.  But it depends on what someone needs.  I get by."

He grinned and looked down at his drink, raising it back to her and toasting.  "To odd jobs.  And then some."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"To odd jobs," she chuckled, clanking her glass against his. "And and the luck we have to encounter strange companions met in bars."

She took a gulp of her drink, then set it down and covered a yawn with her hand. "Gods above! Sorry, long day."

Lion

"Looks like you might need to throw in and hit the sack soon.  Or a sack," he said with a wink of his eye.  He drank a little more before setting his glass down and he tilted his head at her.

"So from where do you hail, my interesting lady in the night?  Or do you just manifest out of nowhere and exist but for the duration of evening?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Tags: