Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Mud on church steps. [open!]

Started by Rhindeer, August 05, 2016, 12:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

The soldiers had their heads bowed, eyes closed, and hands clasped, lips mouthing the words to some prayer or other. It was rude, unheard of even, to interrupt someone at prayer, but that was exactly what Clover did then.

"Psst. PSST! Hey, um, excuse me?" she hissed, waving a hand in front of the older soldier's face. He startled, blinked, and then glared up at her.

"Whatcha want, you little rat? Can't you see I'm praying?" he whispered back, voice sharp.

"Yes, yes, but this is important and you're soldiers and--and I think there's a vampire in here! Guy back there--no don't look at him!" she quickly added when he started to turn his head. He paused, and instead side-eyed the mopping man, then turned a hard gaze back to Clover. "You gotta like...slay him or something."

The soldier let out a weary sigh and bowed his head again, eyes closed. "Sure he is. Ain't heard of no vampire ever entering a church. Don't waste my time, rat."

"But--!"

"That means, 'scram'. Now scoot!"

Thoroughly dismissed, Clover let out an exasperated sigh and looked back to the "vampire", shoulders rolling back. Well. If nobody was going to help here, then she'd just have to help herself. Idiots! They were sitting ducks like that, heads down and necks exposed!

With another huff for good measure, Clover turned to the altar, marched over to it, and snatched up the bowl of holy water, and strode back toward the vampire, jaw set. Fine. FINE. She would just have to prove it to everybody that she wasn't crazy and something weird was going on here and that this guy was totally shady!

"I brought some more water!" she announced cheerfully as she approached, all smiles.

Right before she threw said water in his face.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Lion

Fucking knew it!  She sold him out! Or was in the process of doing so as he watched her up ahead.  It was all from the corner of his eye and difficult to make out, but he could feel himself burning inside because of it.  His heart sped up, Quinlan mopped slower, trying to hear those hushed whispers.  Gods...he knew this was a mistake, why did he come back here?

Because he had one more person to try and save.  If it was even possible.

But now was not the time to panic after he'd come this far.

Quinlan blinked up when he saw Clover approaching, and got a facefull of water.  "What the fuck?" he said, trying to keep his composure as the soldiers turned around to look at him.  Fuck.  "I mean...I guess I needed a bath.  Where's the soap?" he said through grit teeth.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Rhindeer

...What?

Clover stood there holding the empty bowl, waiting, waiting for the screams and the burning and the hissing and--and nothing. There was no screaming, no sizzling, no burning. Just an irate man speaking through grit teeth as holy water dripped off his face.

She stared at him, jaw dropping. The soldiers had both turned to watch the show at that point.

"Oh, I...you're...you're not..." The blood drained from her face. "...You're not a vampire?"

Laughter broke out in the pews behind her.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Lion

"Hey what?" Quinlan heard that laughter and felt himself blush.  "That's what you were talking to those bootrats about?"

He turned up to look at them, starung at them hard, and with a growing tension.  Their laughter was slowly dying down.  And he kept his gaze steady.

"No," he whispered, voice low so that only she could hear.  "I'm not a vampire...  what would make you think that?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Rhindeer

"Because, uh, you uh...you came outta the shadows and you, er...you looked uneasy about coming in a church and, um, yeah..." As she spoke, Clover felt her cheeks heat as she went from blanched to blushing. When she actually said it, it sounded ridiculous! She tapped her index fingers together nervously, not meeting the "vampire's" eyes.

"Then you kinda covered your face from the altar, and they say vampires can't stand looking at holy relics, so...uhh..."

Lion

It did sound pretty ridiculous now that she said it out loud, but after seeing the soldiers were still looking at them, it seemed the repercussions were happening after all.

"I was trying to avoid those guards," Quinlan said lowly.  "But now they're staring at us...and can probably recognize me...and all because you thought I was some fabled monster..."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Wait a minute.

Clover stared at him, then narrowed her eyes. "Wait...you were trying to avoid them?" And then her eyes widened. "Are you a criminal?"

Lion

That was when one soldier stood up and tried to approach them quietly in the back. Quinlan was holding his breath, counting the footsteps walking toward them like the final prayers to the noose that would be placed around his neck.

He waited until they were close enough and he kept his eyes averted, looking at Clover the whole time.  He just smiled at her, as if secretly wishing he could kill her right now without repercussions.  He could boil her, he knew, but it didn't really solve any problems just thinking that.

"Is there something wrong here?" the soldier said.  He snorted a laugh, and he snuck a look back to his friends, winking at them, as a show of how he was 'handling' the situation.

"No, nothing's wrong.  Just having a chat with my friend here," Quinlan said, doing his best to disguise his voice.  "So you can sit your fucking ass back down."  That last part was growled, and the sneer vanished from the soldier's face.

"What did you say?  You got one fucking chance to apologize," he replied, scowling.

Still Quinlan didn't look at him until his arm wrapped around Clover and he swiftly moved sideways, slamming his foot into the soldier's gut, and he stumbled backwards, rolling onto his ass, with his legs high in the air.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

OH GOSH HE DIDN'T!!

...Well, that sure answered her question as to whether or not he was a criminal! She was pretty sure assaulting a soldier--in a house of God, no less!--was a criminal act!

"What are you doing?!" Clover yelped at the not-vampire, grabbing onto the arm he had wrapped around her in shock. "You just kicked a soldier!" As though he wasn't aware of exactly what he'd done, but she couldn't believe it! Was he crazy?!

It certainly got the other two soldiers' attention, too.

They bolted to their feet, and one even went so far as to draw his sword with a growl. "Release the girl and put your hands in the air!" he barked, and Clover gasped at the sight of naked steel.

"W-what are you--? No! Stop, all of you! This is a church! You can't do this here!"

"Quiet, brat!" the soldier snapped before glaring at Quinlan. "I won't repeat myself."

Lion

Damn did this guy have a thick fucking skull!  As if the kick to the gut didn't quite drag his point across!?  Did he have to get kicked in the fucking head too!?  Looks like he did!

"You just don't know when to quit do you?" Quinlan growled and stepped back as the soldier began to advance again.  Quinlan had to think fast, still holding Clover strongly in his left arm and he flung his foot forward, his bare foot colliding with the hardwood bucket and kicked it into the air, sending it sailing headlong into the soldier's head. Quinlan turned swiftly and ran out the door, feet sliding a little on the wet floor.

But he kept going, determined not to be caught by these trench dogs.  He adjusted Clover over his arms, throwing her over his shoulder and bolting off, the other soldiers bolting after him.  Turning swiftly on the ball of his foot, Quinlan made for the nearest entryway - y'know excluding the, ahem, front door - and ran up the stairs toward the bell tower.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Morgan Droud

"Hum?"

As Esderand entered one of Uthlyn's churches, he was struck by a rather shocking sight. He arrived just in time to watch a man carrying someone in church garb being chased upstairs by a group of the soldiers.

This, is probably a bad time. He quickly shut the door, and hoped no one inside had noticed him.

Rhindeer

Was...was she his hostage? Was that what was happening right now?! Clover shot a wide-eyed look up at Quinlan's face, her heart racing like wildfire and cheeks paling, and if she wasn't currently being grabbed by a crazy not-vampire she might have found that bucket trick super impressive! (Okay, so it was still really impressive...) But right then she could only sputter in disbelief as he took the guard out--

And then squeal sharply when he threw her over his shoulder.

Her squeal cut off with a grunting gasp as his shoulder smacked into her gut and, wheezing, she grabbed at the back of his shirt as he took off, the bouncing of his steps driving his shoulder into her belly again and again as he bounded up the stairs.

"Ahh! No, no, stop! PUT ME DOWN!" she yelped, and pounded her fists on his back, kicking her legs wildly. "Let me go! NOW! I'm pretty sure this is a hundred different kinds of sin! HELP! Help me, someone! He's got the demons in him!"

Lion

It wasn't that she was a hostage perse.  She was more like insurance in case things went bad, and because this was all her fault. And if Quinlan needed something to land on, she could serve that purpose as his safety cushion.

"I ain't got no demons! You threw water on me!"  Because water was totally the same as acid.  But Quinlan was willing to forgive her this time as he bounded up the steps toward the balcony level of the church, the soldiers following after him. He wrapped both arms around her kicking legs.  "Hold still!  This'll hurt less if you stop resisting!"  And he used her butt to shove down the door in front of him.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

"Hurt less?!" Clover repeated, a note of fear squeaking out--which turned into a grunt as he used her rear as a battering ram. And if he thought that would make her struggle less, he was very wrong! She thrashed all the more in his grip, beating his back with her fists, and tried to kick her legs free of his hold on them--unsuccessfully.

"What do you MEAN 'hurt less'? Oh God, don't hurt me! Please! I'm sorry I threw water on you, really! I'm sorry! Please don't sacrifice me!" Because that's what demon possessed people did, right? Sacrificed virgins on altars or something?

And he had to be possessed to act so crazy!

The giant bell came into view then as they went through the doors and onto the roof. There was nowhere to go from here.

Well. Except down.

He wasn't THAT nuts, was he?!

Lion

Ansgar's Balls!  If only she would stop talking!  Gods, the crazy ones always wouldn't stop talking.  The endless mouth wasn't exactly part of the attraction, but as a means of being a viable hostage it definitely wasn't a plus either. Quinlan growled as they ran toward the bell tower and the very sight of it coming fast into view made his heart thump faster and harder in his chest.

"I mean!" he panted. "It'll be a lot less PAINFUL! FOR! THE! BOTH OF US!"  The words were shouted as he narrowly avoided the swiping bolt of a crossbow that he'd neglected to notice one of the soldier's carried.  Great, now he had to strafe!

He turned abruptly and suddenly jumped across the opening below the bell, snatching one hand on the pull rope an swinging across,all the while ringing the bell hard and making the whole of their surroundings shake and drop dust all around.

Quinlan kept going across the chapel roof, out of one of the windows and carefully gripped onto one of the stone gargoyles outside, skittering right on the edge.  "Look, you got us into this. Now, I'm getting us out.  Any questions? No?  Didn't think so!"  And turned from the ledge to slide down the side of the roof and kicking up when he reached the ledge to land in the branches of the tree in chapel courtyard.

He wondered if the soldier's would miss those horses  tied to the base of it.  That was if he didn't break his neck on the way down from the tree.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Oh God! That bolt came awfully close to her, too! Were those soldiers even paying attention to where they were aiming?! Or did they even care, since she was a marked mage?

"Watch where you're shooting!" she cried as another bolt whizzed by and whipped up her hair. With another squeal, she threw her arms over her head and squeezed her eyes shut as though that would protect her, no longer struggling and now just trying to survive the ride. "Help! Please! HE'S CRAZY--!"

And then she cut off with a scream when, suddenly, they were soaring and then swinging, and only then did she open her eyes again--and sorely regretted it when she saw how high they were, swinging over the gap by the bell tower's cord.

She clapped both hands over her mouth to keep her stomach in.

But they made it--or rather, he made it--and then they were off over the roof, so dizzyingly high, and she closed her eyes again and clung onto his shirt, her screams devolving into terrified sobs as he ran along the edge and then slid down it! She was going to die, she just knew it, she just--

...And then she felt leaves against her face, and twigs scratching at her skin. She cracked her eyes open. They...they were in a tree...?

Clover's breath came out in fast, terrified little pants, her fingers curled white-knuckled into his shirt. And then she gasped when a flaming arrow thunked into the tree trunk, right above her head, and another followed to hit right to Quinlan's left. The tree caught, the flames licking up the bark and catching on dry leaves.

"GET HIM!" someone shouted from above.

Clover made one last futile effort at wiggling free, smacking at his back with her fists. "Let me go! Please! I'm sorry!"

Lion

"You wanna go?  Fine! Go!"

Quinlan released her as soon as they were on the ground.  When the voice from above shouted for him to be gotten however, he pointed at the guards that were pouring out from the side of the chapel.  "Except do you really want to take your chances with them instead of me!?  They're gonna kill you!"

[So short! D:]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

As soon as he set her down, Clover wasted no time in picking up her skirts, prepared to bolt--but his words made her freeze about the same time she laid eyes on the soldiers pouring out. Each of them fully armed.

They...they were going to kill her?

Why her?!

She hadn't done anything! She'd only warned them about the possessed madman--

...Oh.

Oh, wait.

Except she was a mage, marked or not. And if he was possessed, then...well...folks had a bad habit of blaming bad luck on mages.

Did they think she had something to do with it? That she was fraternizing with the enemy?

She cut a wide-eyed look at her would-be kidnapper just as an arrow hit the ground at her feet, making her gasp. It was almost like they were shooting at her!

"W-why are they shooting at me?!" she cried, even as she lunged behind him for protection and clung to his shirt. "I didn't do anything!"

Lion

"You think these fucking soldiers give a shit!?"

He didn't bother waiting for an answer before he swooped her up into his arms and was off running toward the horses that were still secured to the flaming tree and he cut the damn leathers loose but kept hold of a chestnut horse and threw her atop the saddle.

Quinlan jumped up behind her  and kicked the horse into motion.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

No, no she didn't think they cared. A marked mage would be no more than collateral, if that.

So when Quinlan scooped her up, this time she didn't protest except to let out a squeaked gasp, and soon she found herself atop a beautiful horse, no doubt one of the soldier's. She dug her fingers into its mane to hold on, her heart pounding so hard she could hear it, and leaned over its neck to keep her head low. She felt the man mount behind her but didn't dare look, afraid she'd see a flaming arrow sailing for her face.

"Oh Lord Ansgar, save me from evildoers, keep me safe from violent people..." she began to pray aloud, eyes clenched shut.

Tags: