Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Eckhart and Kino travel south (closed)

Started by Eckhart_Von_Musel, November 04, 2016, 09:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimm

Egon blinked before sighing, lowering his bow all the way. Putting the arrow away he would wear the bow now. He would approach closer stepping over the log he had been blown off of."Stop it! Stop saying sorry!" he said getting annoyed."Just tell us who you are." he said looking at her as he looked down at her. Breathing out he rubbed the back of his neck tired."Also, you owe me coin for what you just ate." he added on.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Eckhart looked at the sniveling mess laying in front of Egon. "Wow" he thought. "This is really pathetic. Even I'm not this bad."  For the first time in a while, Eckhart felt good about himself. Walking up to Kino, he tugged on her sleeve to get her attention. "Hey, let's just leave her here. She's not our problem."

Morgan Droud

"I'm sorry... Eh? Oh yeah!"

Standing up, Althris puffed out her chest and proclaimed in a voice that seemed to hold excessive enthusiasm.

"I am Althris! Scholar of Mythologies and of the Divines whose stories are told within them!"

Though she was saying it with a completely serious expression on her face, her demeanor and atmosphere made her feel like a child that wanted to be praised.

Alize

"Hmm," thought Kino, assessing the situation. "Not so sure I like the way Egon's berating the mysterious woman who just blew away half the campsite. Making her angry would be bad. Yeah. 'An I dunno anything about "Divines" held in musty 'ol fairy tales, but it couldn't hurt to learn. Definitely best to settle the situation first, maybe hear her out."

Kino whispered back to the youth tugging at her sleeve. "We smooth things over first, Ecks. Then we make that call."

Securing the flask of tear gas back onto one of her many belts, the alchemist crossed over to the strange scholar and extended a hand.

"Well met, Althris. Kino Vanden - apothecary, alchemist and drifter extraordinaire. This is Eckhart," she said, nodding her beaked mask in one direction, "and that's Egon," nodding her head in another.

"So, what brings you to this neck of the woo-" Kino's greeting was abruptly cut of by the howls of what sounded like several angry Owlbears.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Kino's attempt at conversation with the girl didn't get very far before things went south again, and seven owlbears soon rushed into the campsite. They appeared to have been spooked by their forest being torn apart the wind Althris had created. "Welp, this doesn't look like a fight I can win" he thought glumly. "What I wouldn't give for Hildagarde's abilities right about now."

"No" he chided himself. "That power can only be used to take lives. I have the better abilties." Eckhart wasn't sure he could convince himself of that though. Not when everybody else had told him the opposite his entire life.

Shaking himself and giving Althris a dirty look, he took a swing at one of the smaller owlbears with his hammer only to be knocked over by a swipe of the beast's claws. He managed to get in a glancing blow at the owlbear's shoulder, which gave him enough time to get back on his feet. He had a nasty gash where it had hit him, and he needed this fight to end soon or he would bleed out before he could take the 10 minutes it'd likely require to heal this injury. "Bleed out..." Suddenly, an idea came to him. Using his magic, he tried to stop the flow of blood from his wound without healing the flesh itself.  Be it through desperation or sheer dumb luck, it worked- Eckhart's blood began to clot, which slowed the bleeding to a crawl. Stunned at his sudden progress, Eckhart began to laugh, and didn't see the owlbear take another swing at him...

Corsad

At least I wasn't wrong...

A bear couldn't make that kind of tremor. However, added a pack of angry Owlbears that looked like someone just destroyed their house? Well, that change the equation just a little bit.

Anyhow, arrived just in time to see several Owlbears making their way to the campfire. Dived inside a bush, Rei reviewed the situation. Overall, it could be rather dangerous, the bow user and the mage could pick those monsters off one by one, but that meant the young man, the masked person will need to stall for time.

Rei laid down a "Quills"(Porcupine) talisman to the ground, got ready in case they noticed him. Just as he looked up, the young man in the group received a counter attack by an Owlbear. Although not enough to take him out immediately, it distracted him long enough for the bear to recover from the pain and get ready to strike him again.

Cursed, Rei knocked an arrow and took a quick shot at the Owlbear, hoping he could at least distract or annoy the bear enough so that it forgot about the man.

Grimm

Egon was about to say more when he heard the howl of the owl bears."Oh what now?" he asked glancing in the direction he heard it. That is when several owl bears barreled into their camp."It just doesn't end does it?" he said as he raised his long bow and strung an arrow. Backing up he took aim at the farthest owlbear. Letting the arrow fly it struck the owlbear in the chest but kept comming. The broadhead arrow would be troublesome for the owlbear however. Quickly he knocked another arrow and let it fly once more before he began to back up.

Alize

Separated from Althris by the charge of a particularly large owlbear, Kino tried to make the best of things by positioning herself between Egon and two of the encroaching beasts. Flashbangs, gasbombs and the like would more likely hurt her comrades than her foes. She doubted that any of her hollow, toxin-filled knives could pierce their thick hides in order to deliver the deadly payloads into the owlbears' bloodstreams.  And so, amidst the chaos, Kino had jacked up herself with a phial of Adrenalite and grabbed her sturdy oak walking stick, taking a stance to guard Egon while his arrows rang true.

She thumped the heavy quarterstaff against the ground to gain the attention of the two owlbears circling Egon, then deftly brought it crashing into the skull of the larger of the pair. The stave was solid and heavy, and Kino's strength was jacked to near-inhuman levels by the Adrenalite. It impacted with a satisfyingly loud thud. The ursine beast didn't even blink, merely knocking it away with a backhanded swipe. Unfazed, Kino used the staff's momentum to bring it crashing into other owlbear's neck. The beast grunted in pain; Kino grinned jubilantly beneath her mask.

"Eat it, bastard!"

Her small victory was abruptly ended as she noticed the first owlbear charging at her on all fours, its wickedly curved beak snapping wildly. Kino struck the second owlbear in the neck again to keep it from charging as well, then pivoted her torso to avoid the first owlbear's flesh-rending maw. The ursine mammoth turned its failed lunge into a sideways headbutt, swinging its massive cranium around into Kino's ribcage. The drug-fuelled alchemist heard several of her ribs crack, but felt no pain even as the impact sent her tumbling across the ground.

Kino curled up her body to turn her haphazard tumbling into a controlled roll. Then, quickly extending her arms, she turned the roll into a handspring and landed on her feet. She regained her footing and looked up to see both of her wild-eyed opponents bearing down on her. Aiming for the eyes, a flick of her wrist sent a tox-filled everglass dagger towards her foes. Another dagger flew from her hand as she feinted a dodge to the left. A third dagger sailed outwards as she juked to the right, avoiding the oncoming charge. Not waiting to see if any of her projectiles connected, Kino sprinted towards the downed tree trunk her quarterstaff had landed against. She moved as a blur, chem-enhanced leg muscles pounding furiously as they carried her towards her weapon. Kino Vanden was damn fast. The owlbears were faster.

Kino realized that if she tried to take the time to pick up her weapon and bring it to bear, she would be disemboweled before she could swing it. She also realized that it was resting against the downed stump at a roughly 45 degree angle. Kino didn't break stride as she leaped towards the staff and planted her foot on it. The supple wood bent then whipped back, trampolining her backwards in a graceful arc over the incoming predators. Kino twisted and contorted mid-air, snagging the larger owlbear by the neck with her legs. It roared and bucked. Dangling upside down, Kino squeezed her legs together. The owlbear bucked harder as it began to choke. Its partner reared up on its hind legs and advanced towards her. Kino realized that the Adrenalite was wearing off.

Suddenly feeling very tired, very scared and very much in pain, the Wandering Apothecary nevertheless mustered every last ounce of energy in her body and clenched her thighs together. Kino violently jerked the owlbear's head to the left, then to the right. Kino felt the snap of vertebrae. The primal creature gasped, spasmed and fell beneath her. The alchemist was still straddling the dead creature's neck as the last vestiges of strength drained out of her. Staring up at the starry sky, Kino sighed as she heard the surviving owlbear's footsteps reverberate closer and closer. She couldn't even move her head to see her killer approaching. The stars were oh-so beautiful.

"Guess this is it, then."

She gently closed her eyes. She was ready.

The deathblow never came. Her killer startled, staggered, then stopped. The neurotoxins from the knife in its eye had finally overcome its robust constitution. The second owlbear silently crashed down into the grassy loam.

Bleeding heavily, Kino blacked out.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Eckhart looked up to see the owlbear making another swipe at him, but before it could land a blow some arrows flew out of the bushes, distracting it. As the owlbear ran towards the source of the arrows, Eckhart saw Kino lying on the ground, seemingly unconscious. Her legs were wrapped around an owlbear's neck, having apparently strangled it to death.  Rushing to where she was, he quickly assessed her injuries. "Three broken ribs, a fractured elbow, multiple bruises and abrasions, likely some internal bleeding. One of her cracked ribs is deathly close to piercing her lungs."

"Kino you fucking idiot, you're going to get yourself killed." he muttered under his breath.

Dragging Kino behind a felled tree and hoping the owlbears wouldn't disturb them, Eckhart got to work. After struggling a bit trying to take off Kino's cloak without exacerbating her injuries, he decided that he didn't have time to waste and ended up cutting it off with his scalpel. Eckhart hoped she didn't mind too much. The rest of her attire being easier to remove, Eckhart began to use his newfound blood clotting powers to slow her internal bleeding. "Alright, onto the hard part."   Taking his scalpel, he began to cut an opening into her chest where her most damaged rib was. Again using his powers to stem the bleeding, he found the rib in question. Hoping Kino stayed unconscious and didn't wake up to Eckhart's hand inside her chest, he slowly adjusted her broken rib back in place, away from her lungs. Eckhart still couldn't figure out how to mend bones, and he wasn't about to try now when him screwing it up could mean making her injuries worse. Closing the opening he had created in her chest with his cell regeneration powers, Eckhart began cutting Kino's cloak into strips and tying them tightly around her chest. She'd need medicine to stop the worst of the pain, but it was the best he could do on such short notice. "She'd better appreciate this" Eckhart thought grumpily. Even with Eckhart's talents this injury would likely take weeks to fully heal.

Morgan Droud

As Althris watched, the three who had just introduced themselves fought against the group of owlbears that just attacked. It wasn't that she was a pacifist, she knew a little about fighting, but didn't have any weapons with her and was forced to take the role of a spectator. Her constant surveillance of the field did make her the first to notice a man in the forest, assisting them with the occasional arrow. His and Egon's arrows were injuring a great deal of the owlbears, and a few had fled the clearing, arrows prickling from their fur.

Corsad

The 2 arrows scored a hit on the Owlbear's side and managed to redirect its attention from the young man. Sadly, its new target was now Rei. Making a perfect 90 degrees turn, the owlbear made a beeline straight at him.

Took 3 more arrows from his quiver, he knocked them one by one and shot at the owlbear. First one hit its left shoulder but didn't managed to slow him down. Second one managed to hit the nose, made the owlbear let out a howl, shaking its head violently before chasing maddeningly at him.

Guess I can't save it...

Resigned, Rei turned back and ran from the outskirt, knocked his last arrow. As the owlbear dash through the bush, Rei triggered the talisman he left behind. The earth shocked up and spike pieced into the owlbear's sole, broken due to the owlbear's speed then being slammed even more inside when the owlbear laid down his foots.
The sudden pain made the bear stopped, raised its body to figure out what had happened. Received an opening from his enemy, Rei let go of his arrow and it flew straight for the owlbear's throat. Stumbled a little bit, opened his mouth but only managed to let out a few noises, the owlbear took a few steps before fell down.

After sending another 2 arrows at the owlbear's head, Rei started to make his way back to the campsite, hoping that they managed to hold against the other 6...

Alize

The alpha male howled in pain from the broadhead arrow stuck in its chest. It readied itself to charge the man-thing who had planted it there, only to see three of its packmates barrelling past it in retreat. Two more lay motionless on the ground, and the alpha had heard the gurgling death cries of the comrade who had charged into the bushes after the second man-thing who threw sharp sticks. The hulking pack-leader glared at the tiny figures with impotent rage, then stole off after its fellow survivors.

-----

Kino slowly swam back into reality.

"Huh? OuchOuchOuchOwOwOwOwOwSHIT!"

Fighting through the searing pain and Adrenalite withdrawal, she willed herself to sit up.

"Wuzza... Wuz goin' on?"

Quickly piecing her memories of the incident back together, she noticed Eckhart standing nearby. She stared down at the makeshift bandages wrapped around her pale, bloodsoaked skin. His doing? Behind her mask, Kino's cheeks briefly flushed at the thought of being found so vulnerable. Her stoic professionalism quickly overcoming her modesty, though, she simply folded her arms over her chest and called out.

"Ecks, hand me my robes and help me up, would you?"

"OuchOuchOuchOuchOwOwOwOwOw..."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Eckhart looked at Kino coldly. "That's it? Really? Not even a thank you? I'll just leave if you can't appreciate me." is what he wanted to say. Instead, Eckhart said "You really shouldn't try to get up by yourself. You'll exacerbate those injuries. What were you thinking back there anyway? If I wasn't here you'd have died."

Eckhart started to rummage through his bag to find some painkillers, only to find that the arnica flowers he picked the other day had completely dried up. "Fuck." Turning back to Kino, he was forced to give her the bad news. "I'm all out of arnica. Unless you have any painkillers, your going to be in a lot of pain until I can find some."

Alize

"OuchOuchOuchOuchOwDamnOwOwOwShitOw!" is what she wanted to say. Instead, Kino said "Don't worry about me. Pain is something I can handle." She paused. "What happened? How bad was I?"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Bad enough that I had to cut you open and physically move your broken ribs so they wouldn't impale your lungs" Eckhart said bluntly. "Oh, that reminds me."

Eckhart went over to the tent that Althris had been in and cut out a few strips of fabric.  Calling out to Egon that he would reimburse him for the tent, he then returned to where Kino was sitting and took out a needle and some thread from his bag and began to stich the fabric together.  "I picked up sewing in case I ever had to preform an operation on a mordecai, but it comes in handy for other things too," he told Kino absentmindedly. "My sister used to make fun of me for this, but I actually really enjoy sewing, it's a relaxing hobby. Here, put this on."

Eckhart handed Kino the rudimentary sling he had made and helped her to put it on her broken arm. "Try not to use that arm for a few days. Remember to take it off when you sleep, I'll help you put it back on in the morning if you have trouble."

Grimm

Despite the Owlbears having seemingly departed Egon didn't relax just yet, they could come back while thye were not expecting it. With broad head arrow drawn end strung he glanced around looking for signs.'Is that it?' he pondered quietly to himself his one good eye straining as he looked for anything odd. Seems that together they had managed to force the owl bears into retreat.

Hearing Eckhart Egon would step back a little before looking around the campsite."Looks like thye got ya good eh Kino?" he asked as he would lower his bow slightly. Thats when he noticed Rei entering the campsite."Looks like this is a popular part of the woods around here." Egon said looking at Rei."You injured?" he asked.

Alize

"They sure did, Egon. But I think I got 'em back - *Cough* - got them back better."

Eckhart returned with a small sheet of fabric and was... sewing? Propping herself up with her one good arm, Kino willed herself through the pain and the drug withdrawal pangs. It was like treading water with iron weights shackled to her arms and legs. "Broken ribs... sewing... mordecai... sister..." Eckhart was talking as though from the far end of a very long and very foggy tunnel.

When he extended his arm, it took her a moment to focus and another moment to realize what he was holding. Though she knew damn well what a sling was and how to use one, his words were earnest and innocent. Compelled to respond in kind, Kino took a deep breath and raised her mask. Strands of lank hair clung to her sweat-caked forehead and the circles under her eyes were deep and dark. Her smile, though, was sincere. Violet eyes twinkling, she slid the mask back down and allowed herself to black out for what she hoped would be a very, very long time.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

As Eckhart saw Kino's grateful expression, he felt a surge of adrenaline rush through him. "It's because of me that you're still here" he thought to himself. "My powers did this. Just me, nobody else."  A goofy grin began to show on his face, which was offset by the hungry gleam in his eyes. "If they could see me now, they would-"  Eckhart's confidence abruptly plummeted as he recalled what his sister had last said to him before she left.

"Eckhart, you've spent your entire life in my shadow. It's like you're some little parasite trying to leech off my success. You will never have what I had with mom and dad. You're too weak to make it happen by yourself.  Stop following me, I never want to see your sniveling face again."

"It's not enough" Eckhart said quietly. "I need more."

Now feeling dejected, Eckhart saw yet another stranger enter the campsite. Groaning under his breath, Eckhart called out to the man. "What brings you to our busy corner of the woods?"

Corsad

As he reached the outskirt again, the fight seemed to be over already. The archer was checking the surroundings with his eyes, the 2 young members seem to be bickering about something while tending for each other and the mage was just... stood there? Only 2 bodies near the campfire so probably the other Owlbears had ran off.

"What brings you to our busy corner of the woods?". The question snapped Rei back from his thought.

"Honestly, just curiosity. I was hunting near by and just want to take a look at what happened here that can make all those noises and tremors." Scratching his head, Rei said while unknocked his arrow. "Anyway, since it's almost dark. Mind if I use this campfire with your group? I have been sitting out in the cold for way too long lately."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Eckhart sighed. "At least this man seems friendly" he thought. "I don't see why not. If something else ends up attacking us then we'll need the help, we're, uh, down a woman." Eckhart looked at Kino fondly. "Get some sleep Kino, you've earned it."

Walikng up to the man, Eckhart outstretched his hand. "I'm Eckhart Von Musel. The unconscious one is Kino Vanden, and the one with the bow is Egon. The mage's name is, um, Arthritis, I think." Eckhart hadn't actually forgotten Althris name, but he was a bit miffed that she hadn't done anything to help with the owlbears. "You attracted them here with your magical wind stuff, why didn't you do anything?" To say Eckhart was suspicious of the girl was a severe understatement, and he half expected her to attack him for getting her name wrong. "Let's see what you do now Althris."