Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Monsters Inside [Archive]

Started by DragonSong, November 11, 2016, 03:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@Magyar

Well, here she was. Back in this hellhole again.

She supposed she only had herself to blame- every other bar in Zantaric had essentially given her a lifetime ban for "causing trouble". Della snorted as she approached the door to opened it a crack to peek into the noisy establishment.

"I'm not getting paid enough for this," she grumbled to herself as she slipped inside. Her eyes flicked around, searching for the woman her contact had said she'd meet here.

It wasn't hard to find her. The rather elegant creature had draped herself over a cushioned seat in the back of the main room, next to a door that probably led to some rooms for rent. Her hair was fiery red, long nails painted black as they tapped against the very out of place glass of wine in front of her.

It was the necklace that gave her away though, a gold pendant with a large sapphire set in the center, cut in the shape of a star. Exactly what she'd been told to look for.

Ducking her head and making sure her horns were hidden under the hood of her cloak, Della approached the woman and cleared her throat politely.

"Ah." Her newest employer looked up with a winning smile. "You are Deloria, I take it?"

Della nodded, but kept silent.

"Please, sit down. I order some meals, I hope you don't mind." She took her seat as the woman extended a hand to her. "My name is Solaria Vaharis-"

"Yes, I know." Della shook her hand but quickly retreated back under her cloak. "Forgive me, ma'am, but I'm not much of one for small talk. I find these things work best if you give me my job and I do it."

To her surprise, Solaria laughed. "Well, right to the point then. I like that." She clasped her hands together and rested her chin on top of them with a small, playful sort of smile. Della felt an instinctive wariness creep up her spine. "Unfortunately, I'd rather wait until our full party is here before we get in the details of this particular...assignment."

Her eyebrows crept up. "Full party?"

Magyar

Bolion crinkled his nose subconsciously as the wafting and pungent scent of alcohol flooded his senses, and blinked away the light of the tavern. After riding the several hundred miles from Essyrn City, and not seeing candlelight after dark for almost a month, adjusting was yet another nuisance he had to deal with as a result of long distance travel.

He tightened the strings on his low-cut robe, and pressed forward against the smell. It hung in the air and on the breath of every patron, of which there were many. It made him nauseous. He didn't drink.

He paused, and scanned the room for his contact, presuming that she actually showed. It wouldn't be the first time someone in this town had wasted a day's opportunity by not following through. The glint of gold and blue was a beacon for those who knew to look, and he walked confidently towards the woman.

She was more or less splayed like a gutted animal on a velvet couch, and drawing about as much attention as the average prostitute. Sitting next to her, was also a woman, at least Bol thought so, based on her height and shape, wearing a deep hooded cloak. If he was right, her skin was exceptionally pale.

But hey, if you live in the mountains, you don't get too much sun, now do you? he thought to himself, grinning. His opinion of mountain folk was not a kind one. Without further pause, he slid into the chair on the opposite side of the cloaked woman, and extended a hand to his contact.

"Nice to meet you," he said in a much more heavily accented Essyrni voice than he would've liked. He continued, "And you." He extended a hand to the cloaked woman, even as his contact pulled hers away, and examined the coin he had left in her palm. It was the same she had sent as a downpayment for him to meet her at the bar.

"Yes, well my name is-" the Contact started.

"I don't care." Bolion interrupted, still grinning as if they were talking over the morning's news, "You'll need more than a gold crown up front, sweetie. Business isn't cheap."

DragonSong

Della looked up, interrupted by the arrival of- what she assumed- was the missing member of their party. She eyed his hand for a moment warily, then eyed the rest of him.

Hm. Interesting creature, that was certain.

His bluntness made her chuckle despite herself and she finally took his hand. She could feel the heat of him even through the well-worn leather of her glove. She'd been out in the cold too long, it was an almost scalding sensation.

"A pleasure," she replied eventually, noting his accent and filing the information away. She drew her hand back and looked to Solaria. "So?"

The woman sighed and slipped her hand into the front of her dress in the least subtle manner possible. She flipped something that glinted at Bolion and got to her feet. "Would you like a down payment as well?" she asked Della with an arched eyebrow.

The sorceress shrugged. "I'm not particular. I'd rather hear the job first, I'm not sure if I'll take it yet."

Her contact nodded. "Fair enough." She jerked her head at the door over her shoulder. "If you two would follow me then? I have some rooms rented, it may be...prudent to discuss this in private."

Magyar

Bolton's grin faded the instant his contact, whom's name he would later find out to be Solaria, offered the hooded woman a downpayment. He didn't play well with others, especially on contracts.

He took his place beside the hooded girl as they both walked behind Solaria. Trying to be quiet enough to hide his words from their employer but loud enough to have a conversation, he asked, "So you're not her bodyguard? Are we doing this together?" The irritation came out in his voice, but he hoped his uncertainty did not. Other people jeopardized things. He hadn't trusted anyone to help him with a hit since his Uncles were still alive, much less anyone but them now, even if that was impossible.

DragonSong

Della felt her hackles raise at his tone. "No, I'm not her bodyguard. I'd never met her before today." She snapped her eyes up to his face, solid silver orbs that hardened to steel. "Is this gonna be a problem?"

Solaria, evidently either ignoring or oblivious to the tension, opened a door into what had to be the largest room offered. "Come in then. Sit if you like, whatever makes you comfortable," she said, gesturing to the bed, small chaise, and chair that were set about the room.

Magyar

Bolion growled low in his throat, a rather conflicting sound to the almost pretty features of his elven descent. Bone white eyes locked with steely silver ones, and a tense moment passed, but Bolion, through clenched teeth, bit out, "No. We don't have a problem."

He turned and placed a hand in the small of her back, pushing her gently into the room. "Let's go," He growled lightly, a scowl settling into familiar lines on his face.

DragonSong

Della hissed like a wildcat and jerked away from his hand. Shoulders tensed, she whirled and spat at him, "Do. Not. Touch me."

Solaria blinked, eyes wide as she looked between them. "Ah..." She cleared her throat. "W-well. Ahem. I...do hope I haven't created a problem by contacting you both. I was told...you are both very good in your line of work. I thought perhaps you may prove useful together."

Della's lip curled, revealing a flash of fangs. "I don't have a problem with it," she spat out. "I just normally work alone, that's all."

Magyar

"Likewise." Bolion muttered, sauntering over towards the bed. He dropped into it ungracefully, relishing the soft sheets and cushions. "Oh... I've missed beds." he groaned, more to himself than the others. He pulled the sheets up around him and snuggled into a crosslegged position, the blankets coming up around him as if he were buried in them.

"So, who's the unlucky lad or lass that has perturbed you enough to get not one, but two professional assassins?" he asked, the humour returning to his voice, and a grin sneaking it's way back onto his face.

DragonSong

Solaria stared as Della scoffed under her breath and took the chaise, leaning back and crossing her legs.

"Well, you see, he's not exactly a lad. More of a grown man. My husband, to be exact." She smiled, but the expression was hard. "I need him gone. Unfortunately it is not an easy task that lies before you. He has many guards, and he's no slouch in a fight himself."

Della tilted herself. "Magic?"

Solaria nodded slowly. "A bit. He mostly uses enchanted objects though, if he wants to use magic." She looked to Bolion."I've heard you spend a good deal of time in Essyrn. We have an estate there where he spends most of his time, so hopefully your familiarity will prove useful."

Magyar

"What kind of estate?" Bolion inquired, knowing all too well the inner workings of the Essyrni. His question was simple enough, but loaded, for if this woman knew him as she claimed to, she would know that he killed slave traders and traffickers first and foremost.

"And not that it matters, but why, if I may ask?" He tested, but didn't really expect an honest answer. Most people didn't reveal their true reasons, especially if family was involved.

DragonSong

The woman arched an eyebrow. "He is a merchant prince. He deals in a variety of goods, and it has brought him much wealth. Yes, he has bought and sold slaves." She smiled, but it was more an expression of bared teeth than anything else. "That was one of the reasons I contacted you, actually. Your...reputation proceeds you. I have no issue with this job being executed with...extreme prejudice."

Her eyes flickered darkly, then she said coolly, "He is a hard handed, merciless tyrant. No one would miss him should he pass, and I could run the household far better. I believe that is all you need to know."

Della raised one finger, keeping her head bowed slightly so most of her face remained hidden. "Question: what the hell am I doing here? Seems like you've got your man all lined up." She nodded at Bolion.

Solaris chuckled. "True. But my husband employs a powerful mage as his bodyguard. The man is skilled in blood magic, and I've never met one who might be able to get past him. However, your reputation proceeds you as well, Miss Deloria. I believe you may be just the woman for the job."

Magyar

"Alright. You've yourself a deal," Bolion said, rising from his position on the bed, the sheets falling to the floor as he leapt over the back end of the bed. He however did not approach the woman who had summoned him to this tavern, but to the woman who had likewise been summoned.

He shifted his weight to one leg and crossed his arms, looking her up and down, and then straight in the eye. "I'm going to need to know more about you before we do this." His lips set into a grimace unconsciously, "Join me back at the Caravan I came with, the one that camped just outside of town. I'll be in the tent with the little red flag above it." He turned back on his contact, "And you contact me the same way you did to get me here once it's done. Within the week after," and at this his voice dropped low, and the light left his eyes. He close the gap between them with speed, and calmly spoke, "Or I will find you, and kill you like your husband."

He wheeled around and with the same jaunty voice he had entered the bar with, said, "Well, goodnight!" And left through the open doorway.

DragonSong

Della stood as he approached her. He wasn't much taller than her, really, but still she was used to towering over people, not looking up. At least on her feet the distance seemed less significant. She didn't say anything, but nodded once at his request. Well, it was more of a demand, but she decided to tear it as a request.

She did however get in his space when he approached Solaria. "The lady has hired us for a job. I'm sure she knows the unspoken rules of a contract."

Solaria nodded quickly and they both watched him leave. The woman sighed and gave Della a small smile. "Yes, well- thank you, I suppose. Would you-"

"Don't thank me," Della cut her off. "If you skipped out on payment, I'd come after you too. I just don't think you will." She arched a brow, then waved and slipped away.

Finding the caravan wasn't hard. She took her time though, deciding to let her new...partner wait a bit. She gathered up her supplies- a simple traveling pack and an ornate bow that had once belonged to her father- and decided to take a meandering route back through the town. Eventually she sidled up to the tent he'd mentioned and stuck her head inside the flap. "Knock knock."

Magyar

The inside of the tent was sparse, with a folded bedroll on the left hand side pressed against the tent wall, and a small bowl with some incense sticks jutting out of it at odd angles. The incense itself had not been burned, and yet the smell of it lingered in the tent.

A soft glow emanated from a single candle, and cast the cross-legged figure in the back of the tent in deep shadow. Bolion glanced upwards at the disturbance, and narrowed his eyes but otherwise remained composed.

"Welcome to my palace!" He drawled, sounding for all the world a nobleman entertaining his guests. "Please, take a seat," he continued, "And sip with me the finest tea this side of the Terrins. I went through great pains to acquire it." At this he paused, and took a swig from one of two cups he procured out of seeming nowhere, and smiled, "No, actually, this I stole earlier today from a vendor down the street. Still good anyway! Now come, sit, and explain to me what exactly you are."

DragonSong

The mage slipped into the tent as looked around curiously, but she had a constant, wary eye on her host. She snorted under her breath at his extravagant manner and took a seat with her legs folded under her body closer to the entrance to the tent.

"My thanks." She took one of the cups and sipped at it, slowly, gaze fixed on Bolion over the rim of her cup.

Slowly, Della lowered the tea to cup her hands around it in her lap and tilted her head at him slightly. She had yet to remove the hood of her cloak, keeping most of her features hidden in shadow while her gloves concealed her hands.

"I am a mage, and for now I am an assassin," she said plainly. "As far as I'm concerned, that's all I am."

She had a feeling that wasn't going to cut it, wasn't really what he was asking, but she wanted to push a bit, see what sort of reactions he would give.

Magyar

"You're very welcome." Bolion said politely. He watched his guest intently, and the edge of his mouth turned upwards ever so slightly.

"While all information is welcome, your occupation wasn't exactly what I was talking about." he said with a touch of sarcasm. "I meant more about," he gestured vaguely toward her in general, "This. What's with the tail? And what's your name, by the way? You didn't say."

DragonSong

Della frowned, drawing her tail closer to wrap tight against her leg. She hadn't realized it had been so obvious under the cloak.

"My name is Deloria," she replied a little stiffly. "And what I am is good at my job. That's all I can tell you."

She was quiet for a moment, then relented with a huffing sigh and added, "Really. I'm not being a smartass. I know I'm half human, but that's about it."

Magyar

Bolion raised an eyebrow, his grin sneaking across his face, "Ah well, I wish I could say the same, but human would be the last thing to describe me. Alas, neither of my people enjoy my company, nor do most others'. But hey, that's how some things work." He shifted his weight onto his left hand, and leaned backwards, "So what do you specialize in? It would be best to put all of our cards on the table and prepare this way. Less opportunity for disfunction later, if it can be avoided at all. I personally excel in blade combat, can speak multiple languages, and I like to consider myself stealthy but my long track record of violent and desperate escapes would say otherwise. I'm also not very good at blending in." At this he chuckled, "I can also use a bow with adequacy but I'm no marksman. I have a few contacts in Essyrn to whom we can go for various supplies, and last but definitely not least, I carry several kinds of tea, at any given time."

He set down his cup, rested his elbow on his knee, and gestured for her to speak.

DragonSong

She scoffed quietly and brought one knee up, resting her arm on it and leaning back on her other hand. The posture was relaxed, but there was still an undeniable tension in her body.

"Magic. I'm a mage," she drawled. "An elementalist, if you want to get specific. Fire is my strongest- well, lightning, actually, but I'm pretty good with fire." She let her head jerk toward her bow and added, "I'm good with that. Really good." No point in being modest. "And I can use a knife passably well."

Magyar

"Alright. I guess we'll see how those skills can come in handy when we get there." He replied, and then sipped some more of his tea. For a while he watched Della, and sipped his tea, pondering their possibilities.

After several minutes, he spoke, his voice harsh in the wake of silence, "Have you ever worked a joint operation before? And more importantly, when do you want to leave? I'm ready now, or we could leave at dawn, which grows ever nearer."