Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Monsters Inside [Archive]

Started by DragonSong, November 11, 2016, 03:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Della fell quiet for a while as they rode in silence. Eventually she piped up with, "I'm actually not entirely sure where we're going you know. I mean...south. But I've never been through the desert. You got a map or something?"

Magyar

"Nope." Bolion chimed in, glad for a change of topic, "Carrying a map of a place that always changes is pretty arbitrary. The thing about traversing the desert is that it's so big, you kind of just run into it." He shifted around in his seat, unintentionally jostling Della's tail, but not noticing himself. He spoke with his hands, and as such when he got into detail about any particular topic, his clumsiness overrode his sense of situational awareness.

"But you see, the way we're going, we'll hit outer Essyrn, which is mostly desert towns and little settlements, almost head on. Once were there I can find us our way towards the center, which is where all the estates and super rich merchants live. Inside of that is the sprawl of tents and markets that is Essyrn City, and that goes on for miles. The city lacks more vertical structures so everything is kinda flat and long. Thats because when really bad sand storms come through, they total everything higher than two stories, and even then you're kind of at risk. Also bricks can't have the sand shaken off of them when they're mortared in place, so tents are the housing of choice for many."

DragonSong

She nodded along slowly as he talked, trying to shift away from him every time he jostled her tail. Little jolts of sensation shot of her spine and she worked hard to ignore them.

She wasn't very successful.

Finally, she had to cut him off but snapping the appendage up to clamp it over his mouth.

"Bolion!" she laughed, exasperated. "You're wriggling. You're gonna break poor Orrin's spine."

Magyar

Bolion's eyebrows shot up not only at the tail on his mouth, but now just realizing how physically expressive he had been. Grinning like an idiot under Della's tail, he brought a hand up and gently pulled it off. "Sorry." 

Still smiling, he reclined, yet again in the saddle. He was a grown man but in all honesty he had the attention span of a child. "So yeah," he continued, albeit much more relaxedly this time, "That's the gist of it. The only other pertinent information you should know is if you're going to hide your tail and horns, do it before we get to the city and don't wear long hoods or robes. They're trademark 'someone has something interesting to hide' clothing. Worst case scenario you could get jailed for a few nights simply by looking suspicious. Wear a turban and a skirt or something. We can shop when we get there."

DragonSong

Della nodded again. "That...will work." She frowned, shifting uncomfortably. "I'm...not sure how I feel about not wearing my gloves though," she muttered under her breath.

Orrin protested all the movement with a snort and a short hop to his step that was almost a threaten to buck. "Easy." Della patted his neck.

Magyar

"What do you mean?" Bolion inquired, craning his neck to catch a glimpse of Della's hands, "They're not too out of place. It's only claws right? You're not hiding some sort of webbing or metal fingertips?"

Bolion resigned to sitting with his view hand-less, but full of tail. He tracked the tip as it flicked back and forth, gauging how thin the bones in it must be, or if it was just skin and bone without any fat on the tip. He caught himself in the thought and snapped himself out of it, trying to focus on Della's answer.

DragonSong

She huffed. "Yes, but that's not exactly...normal. And-" She grumbled under her breath, then muttered, "I just don't like showing a lot of skin either, okay?" Her hands tightened unconsciously on the reins and their mount jerked his head in protest.

Magyar

"I don't think hands qualify as a lot of skin, personally." Bol replied, looking down at his deep V-cut tunic, "Besides, when next to the bellydancers you'll look properly conservative, for sure. It's the tail I'd hide. It makes you look," he hesitated, searching for the right word, "Exotic. In a country famous for the capture and sale of slaves, especially young women, a tail is a... desirable trait."

DragonSong

Della screwed up her face. "Oh, ew. Why- you know what, I don't even want to know." She shuddered and snapped her tail in close to her side again.

For a while longer she lapsed into silence, content to travel in quiet. She was growing gradually more comfortable with the idea of working with a partner- Bolion was surprisingly entertaining company, if a bit abrasive, and she didn't really doubt that he could get his end of the job done.

Magyar

Bolion finally managed to get into a position where his neck didn't snap backwards or forwards when he stopped sitting up, and within several minutes, began to doze.

As a travelling merc, sleeping any and everywhere came easily to him. The back of a horse was no exception. Now almost fully asleep, Bolion began to dream.

The tall stalks of yellow grass swayed in the wind, rippling like an ocean of grain. His heavy lidded eyes fell again, obscuring the sight, but not the sounds and smells. Rustling and the long, sorrowful cries of desert gulls called to him, urging him to explore. But he was in the saddle, strapped down so he wouldn't fall out, and simply had to hear from afar. The entire place was thick with the smell of baked dirt, a strong scent, but not a bad one.

Suddenly he was picked up, the straps of his saddle undone, and wrapped in a blanket, like a cloak. He was set down amidst the wheat, and he saw a face similar to his, but also a little different. She - for it was a she - had the same coloured skin that he did, but her features were much more beautiful.

Before he could say anything, she mounted the horse again, and rode away. Bolion simply stood there, the stalks shifting above his head.

Bolion opened his eyes, rested but deeply unsettled. He looked up, but the stars were still above them, and the sun was out of sight.

"How long was I asleep?" He asked, still watching the stars above them.

DragonSong

Della tensed when she felt him lean against her, then realized he was unconscious. She glanced over her shoulder and muttered something about "big damn mercs," but didn't wake him as she continued to ride steadily forward.

Her head twitched back slightly when she felt him stir again. "Not too long. Dawn's in an hour or two, we can camp then if you like." And she should probably do some hunting.

Magyar

"Yes, let's. I'm going to be saddlesore by the end of this." He complained to no one in particular, "So I've done the math, and say we go about thirty miles a day, we should get there in just over a week from now. When we came here, the caravan and I, we were going maybe half the speed, and we frequently stopped, not only for rest and provisions, but also to trade, as it were. Those trading stops lasted a few days a piece, and we did so about five or six times." Bolion continued, unaware that the point to his tangent wasn't really getting across. He was trying to rationalize the difference in time the journey would take them, but had done so in a convoluted and twisting fashion.

"So it took us about a month to get here, but we should make do with a third of the time." He finished, confident that he'd explained himself thoroughly. He'd been thinking it over for the past day and a half, so it was a small triumph for him, and it didn't cross his mind that's Della probably had not been considering his personal dilemma. He added jokingly, after a pause, "You're very comfortable you know. I should use you as a pillow more often."

He then stretched out, arms raised high above him, and his back popped audibly several times. He groaned, then hunched back into place, accepting the fact that he'd be restrained until they made camp.

DragonSong

Della nodded along as he spoke, resisting the urge to ask him to get to the point multiple times. Finally she huffed out a breath and gave a sharp jerk of her head to show she understood what he'd been saying.

"That's a lot of hard work for the horse," she noted. "We really should get me my own as soon as we can."

His little joke made her chuckle dryly. "Oi, watch it. Who says I'd let me use you as a pillow?" She twisted to give him an arched eyebrow. "I'll let that first time slide."

Magyar

"And thank you for that. Apparently I was hurting for more sleep than I thought." Bolion said quietly.

The near silence of the environment around them was blissful, and he didn't want to interrupt that for anything trivial. Naturally several seconds later he interrupted it for something many (but not he) would consider trivial.

"So earlier you said your tail wasn't all that sensitive... except the base. What's the base?" He questioned: His curiosity on the subject had bugged him for a straighter answer ever since their exchange, but he had decided to file it away for later. It seemed that a few hours passed qualified as 'later',"The underside?"

DragonSong

Della closed her eyes and took a deep breath through her nose. Gods, this man was curious about everything, it seemed.

"Where it connects to my spine," she informed him briskly. "By base, I meant that section towards the beginning of it."

She glanced around, trying to judge the time. "Think we should call it a day soon, find a place to camp?" she asked, not so subtly trying to steer the conversation toward what she deemed safer topics.

Magyar

"We're too far from any settlements, if my memory serves correctly, to find them in under an hour." He said distractedly, thinking of his own mental map, "If we're to call it a night we should really just pick a tree. It's the best we've got unless you want to keep riding."

He seriously considered poking Della's tail about a foot from the base of her spine, just for kicks, but thought better of it. He'd seen her claws and had also coincidentally owned a cat before. Bad decisions were learning experiences, and he'd had his fill of tail facts for the night, so he switched topics.

"The nearest Inn is some five miles south, and is a common stop off for travellers of all kinds. We could jack a horse, or," he paused, remembering Della's disposition towards petty crime, "We could buy one." On the word 'buy' he had rolled his eyes and drawled out the word like a child would say the word 'chore'. Buying things is the untalented man's way of acquiring his Uncle Errahq used to say, and by the Gods did Bolion live by that sentence. He hadn't spent money on anything for years. Hell, Orrin right here wasn't even his. He had been a Slaver's personal favourite pre-mortem, and so Bol had acquired a new horse after completing a personal contract. Buying was something he frowned upon, to say the least.

DragonSong

"Oh, heaven forbid we spend coin," Della muttered with a roll of her eyes. "I can purchase my own mount, if that makes you feel better about it."

With barely a, "Take the reins," in warning, she performed a quick dismount to walk alongside Orrin rather than continue to ride on his back.

"If it's only a few miles I don't see much point in making him work harder than he has to. The better shape he's in, the faster we can travel." Not to mention she wasn't exactly objecting to the chance to stretch her legs.

Magyar

Bolion shifted forward in the seat quickly enough to scramble for the reins before shooting Della a venomous look.

"Don't do that." He chastised, but before he finished the sentence a wry smile had worked it's way onto his face. "There's no reason to spend any money when you don't have to. You can have Orrin, all wrapped in a bow, and I'll get myself another horse. That way no gold is bled and your personal moral code is maintained." To him, his logic was flawless.

DragonSong

Della rolled her eyes for what felt like the millionth time. "You know, I would argue with you about that, but something tells me it'd be a futile effort," she grumbled. With a wave of her hand she added airily, "Do as you like, not as if I can stop you."

Magyar

"See, we're getting to know each other already." Bolion grinned smugly as he rode next to Della, content, but still slightly uncomfortable. He hadn't thought of his birth mother, much less remembered her vividly, for years. He now thought over his dream, steering Orrin on autopilot, staring out into the horizon. He remained silent until the lights of a three story house came into view beyond a few trees.

"There she is." He said proudly, "The Blue Monarch. I've actually invested in that place. Lived there for a year after the old farm burned down." His face hardened after the last sentence, but he continued on anyway, "Let's be off, shall we?"