Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Makings of a Crew [Closed for Now]

Started by Incognus, November 15, 2016, 01:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValamLym

Kirsten felt her neck hair stand up straight the moment the woman addressed her. She supposed it would've been to good to be true anyway, just laughing at someone and walking away. Then again, she probably could have if she had just pranced in the other direction, since these two seemed busy flaunting each other in what she could only describe as pirate speak. What is it with sailors and talking like that anyway? she thought, a hand moving to scratch the back of her head once more as she turned to face the woman.

''Oh, c'mon, you've got to admit it was pretty funny.'' poor choice of words, she thought soon after, figuring it would probably just further provoke the woman. As such one of her hands moved to grasp the hilt of her blade, figuring she'd be sure to take at-least one shot if this were to go awry. True, she wouldn't die, that was something she didn't even know how to do anymore, however that still doesn't make getting shot in the chest feel amazing, in-fact, it was downright painful still, especially when your body happily pushes the bullet out and then reknits your flesh like you're some kind of sewing doll.

At the sound of ''bounty'' her ears perked up, their tuft fluffing ''Bounty?'' she asked quite randomly, almost disconnected. Completely forgetting what it was that she was doing before, or at-least so it seemed. ''Where?''

Incognus

Naomi clenched her jaw when he recited her words at the bar. She wasn't sure how he heard him, the man looked old enough to be half deaf, but he had. And unfortunately the part he repeated wasn't easily explained.

She turned her head towards the Neko woman when she piped up about the bounty. She had chosen to stop walking. Shit. This was getting out of hand. Naomi knew she wouldn't be able to keep her plans under wraps forever, but it was only the first night. And who knows who else heard her if this man already had.

She turned her head back to the old sailor. "I's been hired as a hand for the Coral Star just as you. I'm recruitin fer her, jus doin what I can ta help the Captn." She said to him in a level voice.

The authorities here are worse than the criminals, his voice replayed in her mind. She took another glace at the half cat standing to her right. And this woman had perked up mighty quick at the mention of valuables. Maybe Naomi could swing this situation in her favor, they already knew too much anyway, it was too early to just let them walk.

There as a pause while she was thinking, then Naomi added, "Specially the deck hands who be lookin fer some extra coin."

Kalak8538

It was true that the boy needed a ship in order to truly escape from the men that were hunting him. The town offered hiding places, but no real shelter for someone as conspicuous as he.

However, these ones seemed dangerous. One had already pointed a weapon at him, and a fight almost seemed inevitable amongst themselves. The boy feared for his safety, which was obvious when he wore this mask. While the three were distracted, he saw an opportunity to flee.

The youth began backing up slowly, before spinning around to run. When he did, there was no running. At least, not at first...

Two priests of the island's temple turned the corner, walking up the street towards him. They did not seem to notice, being too busy with conversation to be that observant.

The youth wasted no time. With a sudden burst of speed, he doubled back and dove between the man and woman. He sat on the stones behind their legs, hoping to use them as a hiding place from the slowly approaching priests.

Magyar

"What in blue blazes-" Eli lifted his arm and glanced down at the cowering boy before shooting a look down the street he'd tried to run for. Priests? The lad was running from priests?

"Alright ye sorry lot, I've said it before an' I won't do so again after this. The lad needs to hide," it had been years, but once he had commanded a war vessel. The air of command he'd thought himself forgotten was the one he assumed, and he snapped out, "Get yer hides on the fuckin boat! We'll talk once we're aboard, but unless ye want be flayed by the church for harbouring demons, I'd get yer ass in gear!"

At his last words he pointed a finger beyond Naomi, at the priests who were ever approaching, yet they still hadn't noticed the group.

Incognus

Naomi snarled when the kid dove behind them for protection. Damn coward. She turned to glance at the priests and then started towards the dock at a brisk pace. "Do what ye think ya need." she said to the old sailor. The boy could hide on the ship for all she cared, if he was found the blame wouldn't be on her, but the minute they set sail she would make sure he was ashore. I am not bothering with useless luggage.

ValamLym

It seemed like this group had something to hide beside the kid and that sparked Kirsten's interest. Best case scenario they had valueables themselves, worst case: they would know how to get them. However, prying this information in the middle of the streets would garner unwanted attention so she would just wait and see.

She wondered why this kid was so scared of priests. She figured he wronged the priesthood somehow and thus garnered their anger.

"I'm coming too" she simply stated. If those other two kept pretending she didn't exist even on the ship then robbing them blind wouldn't be hard. She did remind herself that the woman would have to be watched carefully, she seemed the least easy to predict out of the group thus far.

Kirsten didn't hesitate to use her un-natural strength and agility to catch up with the woman and simply follow her.

OOC : Sorry for weird setences/typos, didnt want to keep you all waiting so I wrote on my phone.

Kalak8538

"We are not demons..." The boy said silently, once again wearing the cat's mask and garb.

He lightly grabbed both sides of the sailor's one leg, and peered around at the approaching priests. As much of a threat as this man probably was, he now provided the best means for the youth to get onto a ship, and away from this island. The woman obviously did not have a very high opinion of him.

It was unclear which was in charge...

"Those men seek to capture us... Which way is your boat?"

The boys eyes were (presumably) still focused ahead.

Incognus

Naomi looked over at the other woman when she caught up and began walking beside her. The Neko seemed formidable, and Naomi didn't know a lick about her other than her apparent interest in coin. She would need to find out more.

"Ye don't look to be much of a sailor. What is it you do in this ere port city?" Naomi probed. She couldn't help but notice the slightly red tint of the other woman's eyes. She had never seen anyone with irises of that color, but she also hadn't met but one other Neko either. It made sense she hadn't though, cats tended to be afraid of water.

Magyar

"We, is it?" Eli grumbled, rolling his eyes at the statement. What had he wrapped himself into with this boy? He refocused on The Coral Star and flicked a hand towards her hull.

"She be the black one wi' the turquoise stripe along 'er side. Merchant brig, lightly armed as far as war vessels go, but more than enough to secure her own passage to any destination within sailin' range," he explained, elaborating on rather useless facts that the boy would probably have no use for. To him though, those things were essential. The right ship could make or break the success of a voyage.

ValamLym

Kirsten couldn't quite read the woman whom now walked beside her, the sudden interest in her being here was of course to be expected, but she felt that giving away too much information might be dangerous, despite being who she is.

''I'm just looking for work..'' she stated pointedly, keeping somethings in the dark, although she wasn't essentially secretive, she didn't yet know what type of person this woman was, in-fact, at this time; she knew more about Kirsten then the other way around.

''And you? not yet enlisted somewhere?'' she had of-course caught the words said before, but playing dumb had given her extra information before. She hoped to find out about some sort of bounty or prize, but kept her hopes down ''You wouldn't know a good job now would you?''

Incognus

"That depends on yer skill in a boat," she stated. "Mos cats I's know don't fancy gettin wet." She vocally prodded the woman walking beside her.

Naomi didn't know why, but she kind of liked the Neko. She looked and acted formidable, not in an aggressive way but in a carefree way, as if she could handle whatever might be thrown at her. Naomi could also tell she liked money, and that she was smart enough not to go giving away too much information. Unlike that ol loud mouthed sailor. He was the one who had spilled her beans about this whole charade. All of these traits made the half cat seem very akin to Naomi herself, and she supposed that was why she felt a little more trusting of the woman. She knew how she would act.

"Yer gonna have ta give me yer name if ye be wantin a sailin job though," She added.

ValamLym

Kirsten wasn't one to get angry at an appropriate joke and she of course understood the irony of a cat wanting to be aboard a ship. As such she simply let out a hearty chuckle at the woman's remark "Dont worry, this feline is hard to scare."

"as for my name, it is Kirsten" she simply stated. Names, surnames and nicknames were things Kirsten hardly ever felt the need to keep quiet. They were in fact more useful when told, a lot of folks see it as a sign of trust or interesent. She however didnt doubt for a minute that this woman was not so easily deceived.

"Care to spill your own name beautiful?"  she added with a smile. "As for experience..  I'd be lying if I said I did . But I am very capable, especially in combat." she paused and smiled again "You dont look or talk like a pompus trade merchant so I think you could use some muscle.. And I deliver a hundred fold in that regard."

Incognus

Beautiful. Naomi wanted to gag for half a second. She wasn't sure if Kirsten was joking, and by all means she didn't care what the woman preferred, but Naomi would not be one to participate. "You ken call me Naomi, miss Vayne, or Capn. But I aint goin by beautiful so we's gonna cut that off right there." She paused, "As fer muscle. I wouldn't mind havin it one bit, but this aint no place fer overconfidence." She gave Kirsten a look to make sure she understood then turned to glance behind them, making sure the geezer and the baggage were following without complication.

Magyar

"Look or talk like a pompous merchant she may not," Eli piped up, shooting a raised eyebrow at the Neko girl, "But ye don't look like the sailing kind, nor do ye sound it. The knife cuts both ways, Kirsten, an' one o' yer kind should know that face value ain't the mos' truthful representation."

Eli grimaced, and quickened his pace, coming ever closer to the dock. Only a few more steps and they'd be over water and away from the possibility of danger. And then a whole new slew of issues were to be dealt with. This Naomi, the Neko, and the Boy. He signed up to sail, not for this.

Kalak8538

The boy continued after the sailor as he began to walk. He kept quiet, holding his black hood above his messy head of hair. The two priests soon disappeared from sight, but he did not want to catch the attention of any others that may have been lurking around. One look at the mask, and they would move on him.

As they neared the dock, the boy felt more and more safe. That was, until he saw another unpleasant individual.

It was one of the elder priests. Much more wise, and much more skilled than the others. He carefully and diligently stood watch over the area, knowing that this was the youth's only way off the island.

In response the boy stood still, grabbing at the back of the sailor's clothing. He dared not move until there was a way past the elder.

ValamLym

over confident huh..

The moment the words left Naomi's lips any sign of friendliness left the Neko. At-least flattery does not work she almost sighed in relief, it would've made things a lot easier. Her eyes arched up, staring at Naomi as the bright red returned to them thanks to the surge of anger. Time to be less friendly. she thought.

''So.. overconfident... hm.'' she repeated, almost as if she was shown some horrifying truth just now. People underestimated her constantly and she just couldn't accept it, despite being fully aware of her own appearance and in-fact, abusing it relatively often. When the man behind her spoke her eyes narrowed and before she even realized it happened, her blade was drawn, its vile presence corrupting the very air around them. ''Want to test that theory of yours?'' her gaze flicked back to Naomi, eyes remaining narrowed, their red glow now illuminating her face.

It seemed the neko was bad at taking critique, which wasn't all that strange considering how most people that knew her knew better then to do that, but these two didn't have that kind of information and that was the reason her blade was stayed, at-least for now. ''I'll gladly show you how wrong you are.'' she snickered ''It would be an utter shame if your voyage ended before you even started it..''

She paid the priest little mind, not interested in the masked kid or his issues. He didn't insult her honor but neither did he have anything she could want, at-least for now.

Magyar

Eli snorted at her display with an air of nonchalance. He smiled wryly, a grim sort of satisfaction in his eyes. His assumption was right, and it had been a big leap, but he'd been right. Neko eyes didn't glow red.

He put a hand on the boy's shoulder, and moved him around to the opposite direction of the priest. Eli took off his hat and fit it onto the boy's head in hopes of hiding him a little. Meanwhile, he said in a dry tone, "I wasn't talking about your ears and tail when I said your kind, blood eyes."

Kalak8538

The boy kept his hands up, placing them in the brim of the hat that now sat upon his head. By doing so, he was most effectively able to hide the mask that covered his face.

With the help of the man, he was able to slip past the elder priest without being noticed.

However, the way he covered himself also covered his peripherals. Because of this, the boy was unaware that he was safe from the priest's gaze. He continued moving silently and cautiously, allowing his new unlikely guardian to direct him as needed.

Incognus

Naomi's own hand flew to her rapier when the cat drew her sword, but she wasn't able to unsheathe it before Kirsten held hers before the pirate. She was fast, very fast, and Naomi took a few moments to assess the situation before she acted. She knew the girl was likely a formidable foe just from her mannerisms, and as Naomi eyed the blade she could tell there was even more beneath the surface.

The sword was pitch black, darker than any metal she had seen before and had a dim pink glow around it's edge. Naomi could almost feel it's presence now that the blade was out of it's scabbard, as if a dark aura radiated from the weapon, but what was more was that the aura was familiar. It wasn't identical, but it was similar, very similar to what she had felt the night of the storm. And then there was her eyes, the dim red glow had grown brighter, as if the fury inside of the feline had ignited them. Definitely more than what meets the eye.

"I wasn't talking about your ears and tail when I said your kind, blood eyes." the old man gruffed as he passed them. Naomi wasn't sure exactly what the man was referring to by kind, but it sure had to do with the strange eyes that bore into her.

"If ye wantin ta start somethin, I suggest ya take a moment to consider it again." Her gaze stayed locked with Kirsten's, unwavering, and Naomi's hand gripped the hilt of the rapier at her hip. She loosened her mind slightly and felt that presence, the itch in the back of her skull, grow. It greedily filled the space she forfeited. "Cause I ken assure that yous be mighty wrong bout any assumptions you've been makin bout me."

ValamLym

Kirsten ignored the man entirely. Even if he wasn't bluffing him knowing she was a vampire barely revealed anything about her. However this applied to herself as well, Naomi was still an enigma.

However it is was still safe to assume her regeneration was one of a kind, for it is a rare trait to begin with. "Peoplw who underestimate me often find themselves as souls trapped in my blade." she eyed the rapier, smirking "I do not fear you, if someone like you could slay me it would've happened years ago." she dragged her blade across her glove oddly enough not drawing any blood "its a shame, you seemed respectable... but you had to go and touch my pride.."

She smirked again, revealing her long and sharp fangs this time "let me show you just what your mocking."

She felt like she was overreacting, a momentary reaction welled up out of sheer anger, but she wasn't one to back down either. If this turned into a fight, her pride would force her hand.

OOC: Phone post again! Hope its at least decent