Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Makings of a Crew [Closed for Now]

Started by Incognus, November 15, 2016, 01:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValamLym

Kirsten hit the ground with a thud, the wounds previously inflicted healing in the meantime. Phased by the sudden crash there wasn't much she could do about the impending strike. The sudden scare of choking shot through her as the blade pierced her throat, but despite the feeling being identical, death never claimed her. In a frenzy, she was able to yank the blade free with her foot, tossing it into the water shortly after. The wound closed and Kirsten recollected her blade.

She quickly followed the woman while her undead pawns simply kept coming, smirking as she saw her fatigued appearance ''You cannot hope to outlast me.'' she snapped her finger shortly after, the bones previously damaged reforming ''So.. any last words?'' she simply stepped closer wholly un-concerned about any lashings from Naomi. If she were allowed to get close, she would lift her blade fully intend on returning the favor to Naomi and impale her through her throat.

''So much power and yet it isn't even your own, is it?''

JackieCat

By the gods, wasn't this an interesting fight?

The noise of the battle had reached for blocks around, and now people were rushing to see what the commotion was.  Revvil had been one of the first to arrive at the scene to find the two women fighting.

Upon seeing what was happening, most people fled, not wanting to be anywhere near the violent battle, and those who stayed to watch made sure they were well out of the way.

With the magic and gasses swirling around the women, it took even Revvil, with his enhanced sight, a moment to realize that one of the women was the one who had hired him.  He growled a sigh and shook his head.  She seemed to be losing, as her opponent appeared to be unable to die.  It would be too bad if she were to be killed, as the draconian would be, one again, out of a job.  He didn't want that, but he wasn't going to step in and try to stop the fight or help his-hopefully-new captain win.  He was a good fighter, but he was better at fighting dirty and avoiding fights be talking his way out of them and then stabbing his opponent in the back as they walked away.  Besides, he had no magic he knew of, and he knew when he was outmatched, and there was no way that he would live if he went into that fight now.
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Incognus

Naomi's head pounded as she struggled with the demon. Fingers dug between the cobblestones and her muscles tensed in pain. "He is mine." Naomi spat in response.

She waited for the cat to get close before twisting around to a sitting position. Naomi swiftly brought up her arm, primed pistol in hand, and then pulled the trigger. The bullet hit Kirsten square between the eyes and blew the back of her head out. Naomi's only hope was that brain damage would kill the Neko, and she watched closely as her opponent fell backwards.

ValamLym

Kirsten visually toppled backwards due to the sudden pressure, blood splattering the ground as her body toppled backwards, hitting the ground with a thud, for a few seconds she seemed slain, before throwing herself back up, the hole in her head nowhere to be seen ''I told you; the likes of you cannot slay me.'' she spun up, bringing her blade down on Naomi impaling the woman through her side ''Now... DIE.'' she twisted the blade, forcing it deeper into the woman's body, until it pierced the pavement beneath.

Thinking the fight over, Kirsten dismissed her minions, their wretched corpses falling to dust. ''Do me a favor... And screa-'' she paused, realizing her blade wouldn't budge anymore, frantically she began pulling on the blade, attempting to tear it free, but it would not budge despite all her might What the hell... she thought until a voice thundered through her head.

''Cease this Kirsten!''

As if commanded, Kirsten let go of the blade. Nudging her head to the side as she looked at it.

''This woman's.. magic, is negating our might.''

Kirsten seemed puzzled,  Scratching the back of her head, the bones that emerged from Kirsten began retracting, the sudden distraction and puzzling event causing her rationality to return to her. I barely even remember..

Kirsten looked to Naomi, deciding not to even start about how their argument had escalated so heavily so quickly, she remembered being at the ready, but never really recalled much of the fight. ''Can you tell your demon to let go of my sword..  before they blow each other up or something...'' she smiled coyly, acting as if nothing had happened.

Incognus

Naomi thought it was over as she stared down the smoking barrel of the gun. The Neko hit the ground with a thud, and she was still. Her brow contracted as she focused her concentration on Scaidohr, attempting to push him back inside before she completely lost control. But just as she got a hold on him, the cat was back on her feet. The pirate's head whipped up and she tried to suck in a quick breath, but the toxins in her lungs blocked most of the oxygen. Pain flared in Naomi's side as Kirsten plunged the sword into her. The ghostly armor absorbed most of the blow, keeping the blade from exiting through her back, but Kirsten fixed that by twisting and pushing the sword through.

"Aggh!" Naomi instinctively grabbed the blade with her hands. She was effectively skewered on her left side, the sword passing between her ribs. Suddenly, she felt something tug inside of her. The violent lashings abruptly stopped, and luckily Kirsten had dismissed her horde at the same time.

Agh! What is this?! Scaidohr scowled inside of her. Let go of me! And it was then Naomi realized what was happening.

The sword, who's familiar aura she had felt before, was somehow pulling on the demon inside the pirate. It had soul binding properties much like her knife used to. If fact, it was incredibly similar to the powers of the knife. Kirsten's sword was tugging on Scaidohr's soul, as it was loose from it's body due to Naomi severing the bond that night. But at the same time, the ritual tied the demon's soul to Naomi's own. Although the sword was free to try and absorb Scaidohr, Naomi was alive, and her soul was still very much attached to her body. It was the magical bond that was causing the demon to tug on Naomi's soul, as he was getting sucked into the black blade. The sturdy binding spell was the only reason he was incapable of being fully absorbed.

Shortly after, Naomi felt something else, another presence, no, several others, but all of the same being. They felt close to her, like Scaidohr. As if they were bonded to her right along with him. What in the stormin sea be goin on? she wondered.

I feel them too. Now get me off of this thing! Scaidohr yelled to Naomi.

The sailor quickly realized she had taken control of the beast inside her again. Her black eyes had returned to normal and the lashings had stopped. Along with this, she noticed the storm was beginning to calm down. She was in control, finally, and it must have been because of the blade that impaled her. It's absorption properties caused Scaidohr to lose his concentration, and Naomi's mind had naturally reasserted dominance. But what was further, she felt as if she were in control of the other beings, the collective consciousness, the sword. It was... alive. And Naomi felt the same threads of magic as Scaidohr's attached to the sword itself. Miraculously, the binding spell had extended to bind the blade to her soul, although she had no idea how or why.

The pirate's body was suddenly pulled upward when Kirsten tried to dislodge the sword from her side. Fresh pain bubbled under her skin as the vampire pulled on the blade again and again, but as if the sword were cemented into a block of concrete, it wouldn't budge. It was fused to Naomi.

The sailor looked up at the Neko who was leaning over her. It was easy to tell Kirsten was just as confused as she was about the situation, and luckily it looked as if the stabbing's puzzling result distracted Kirsten from her previous rage. As much as Naomi didn't understand, however, she did know a few things.

One, was that she was in control of the hold on the blade. Naomi could loosen the strands, and the sword would likely pull free, but she wasn't about to do that until she was sure Kirsten had calmed down to a reasonable level.

The second thing Naomi knew, or was at least decently certain of, was that the two magics were somehow linked. They both possessed soul binding properties, and the dark hum of magic she felt holding the demon inside her was almost identical to the hum of Kirsten's blade. They were twin magics. Forged from the same hands or group, perhaps; their histories were intertwined, and she wondered if there might be other sibling artifacts out there.

Looking up at the vampire, Naomi spoke. "I'll be letting go of yer sword once I knows ye wont be swingin on me with it." She knew Kirsten's power lied in the blade, and it was here that she finally found leverage on the woman.

ValamLym

Kirsten blinked at Naomi's words calmed down? I am calm... she thought, her ears picking up and her demeanor turning much more friendly, almost soft through her relaxed stance, gaze and attitude.

She figured Naomi was simply being cautious and rightfully so.  However she seemed unaware of the second part of the blades curse. "I understand your caution, but that blade dislikes not being in my posession. in-fact it has driven people to suicide before... Like, screaming in your head every minute of every hour.." she shrugged promptly sitting down "I wont turn on you I swear... I.. I'm sorry for whatever happened.."

She was being sincere. She remembered actually being fond of this woman. She still was, but she did not for a moment dare imagine she'd restore the damage, blind pride would always be her challenge. So she simply waited, letting Naomi decide what would happen next.

Incognus

Naomi gave a grunt when Kirsten mentioned the fact that the sword would put voices in her head. She was definitely familiar with the problems that caused. She narrowed her eyes at Kirsten, unsure if she was trying to pull a bluff or not. It was odd how quickly the cat fell from her rage, but then again, it had only taken one sentence to set her off on that rampage.

As the stormy skies returned to calm, there were only a few lingering people about. Luckily the brewing weather had kept the majority of possible observers at bay, inside their homes and out of sight. But, there were inevitably witnesses to the brawl, and Naomi hoped the incident wouldn't cause any trouble before they left port.

Her mind went back to the vampire and the pirate thought for a minute, then nodded her head. There was no way to tell if Kirsten would attack her again by staring, Naomi would just have to find out. She located the collective presence in her mind and then she commanded the binding spell to let go of it. She felt the magical threads fall away from the sword one by one, and she was careful to keep all of Scaidohr's attached. Gripping the blade, Naomi slowly pulled it out of her, clenching her jaw at the pain. She sucked in a raspy breath and held it. The lungful of toxins she had taken in earlier was still affecting her breathing, and Naomi hoped it wouldn't be long for it to return to normal. As the sword drew out of her, she could also feel the pull of it on her soul as Scaidohr's was forcibly ebbed from the blade.

Slowly but surely, Naomi edged the blade out of her side until the tip was free. Clutching the wound with her hand, she watched Kirsten closely for any sign of betrayal, keeping her ghostly armor active just in case.

ValamLym

Kirsten noted how the area returned to normal, peace returning to the port. When she realized her blade had been freed she wasted no moment in yanking it back and putting it back in its scabbard.

She initially didn't drop a word, having no idea what to say in such a situation. Rarely did it occur that someone survives one of her rage fits, but it seemed that Naomi had either been lucky or skilled.. Kirsten figured it was both.

"I think I'll leave now.. "

She finally spoke, figuring Naomi would despise her now. It wouldn't be strange, even though the fault had been with both. She figured things might have gone differently if she had spoken about her powers. Although that would have been foolish for other reasons.

"I'd help you with that wound but I am a terrible mender." she stated looking down at the woman clutching her side. She wanted to help her but she didn't even know where they would go, nor did she believe Naomi would want her anywhere near her.

"I am sure that other loud mouthed sailor can help you."

She then promptly turned on her heels. She was curious abput what happened between Naomi and her blade, but she had no real reason to worry. Her blade had returned to its original the moment it came free. Besides, she needed to find a new job now, merc work doesn't pay itself after all.

Kalak8538

"There are other paths..." The boy solemnly responded.

He knew these alleyways, he knew the docks, and he knew where the ship was. The only thing left was to find a path. For reasons known only to himself, this boy was desperate to board the vessel.

"Come..."

With that, he was off. He moved as quickly as was possible in the driving wind, red cloak flowing like the tail of an animal behind him. He navigated the alleyways with ease, having grown up memorizing their layout. Not once did the boy look back to make sure the man followed.

If a boy could manage, then a man could as well, if he is strong.

The boy exited the network of alleyways at the head of another dock. The ship he needed to board was not connected to this one, but at least this one was clear. He paused only to briefly plan a course on board. At this point, it was assumed that the man was still right behind.

"Keep up..."

The calm lack of emotion in the boy's tone was unfitting of such circumstances. With only the winds and occasional spray of seawater as obstacles, the boy once again broke into a dash. The bright red of his cloak contrasted as the only source of color in the gray misted air.

Coming beside another moored vessel, he slowly trotted up the slippery and buckling gangplank. He squeezed through the panicked sailors on board, and over the debris that the gale deposited on the deck. Quickly making it to the opposite rail, the Coral Star was just across a small stretch of water. In one hand the boy tightly clenched a rope, hanging from the yard and slicked by seawater. He paused, then took some steps back. He seemed almost hesitant to do what he knew he had to.

He ran forward, full speed towards his desired destination. As he did so, the boy changed once again. The cloak shortened into a mantle, composed of white feathers. The mask took the shape of an elegant crane. He hopped up onto the rail, then into the air. White feathers blew in the winds of the storm as he swung on the low-hanging rope. However, it could not take him the entire way over. It was not meant to.

The feather-clad youth released the rope midair. For a moment, he seemed almost... weightless.

Holding his arms out like a bird, he dove towards the deck of the desired ship. With a steady landing and a dexterous roll, he would land safely on the wood. Unfortunately, not everything was destined to go to plan. The moment the youth's luck ran out, a sharp and sudden gust plowed into his side. This altered his decent greatly.

The boy did make it to the Coral Star. However, it was his side that made contact with the hard wooden deck below. He slid sideways, only to be stopped by a large crate on board. He fell unconscious, and reverted back to the red cloak and fox mask he wore previously. He could not even react once the storm had ceased...

Incognus

"An where ye think yer goin?" Naomi called to the cat. She winced and began to pick herself off the ground while keeping a hand firmly on her side. Red was beginning to seep around her fingers. "I's may not like ye much af'er whats jus happened, but I'd be a damned fool ta not hire someone with yer skills."

Magyar

Eli swore again, not even bothering to hide it under his breath. Why did everyone run around and never tell anyone else where they were going? Infuriating, it was, and to be honest happened far too often for Eli's liking.

He kept behind the shapeshifting lad, but only barely, as the boy was both young and nimble, both things Eli had lost to time. He was spry for his age, no question about that, but nimble? Perhaps a better word for him thirty years prior. Only upon shoving his way through the angry and afraid crowd of seamen did his height and lean strength benefit him. He didn't squeeze between them so much as power through them on the heels of the boy. The leap he took, however, Eli could not compete with. He simply couldn't make that jump. Luckily, the men around him were transfixed by the battle on the docks, and he could climb the rigging without so much as a complaint from one of them. Upon climbing up to the topgallant mast, Eli did one of the stupidest things he'd ever done in his long life as a sailor. He leapt from the topgallant mast of one ship to the mizzenmast of The Coral Star. He slammed into the taut knotted rope and nearly lost his grip when it flexed and almost sent him flying backwards onto the deck. His hands were slightly rope burned, shaking, and his heart was beating faster than it had for years, but he laughed. He laughed richly, and deeply, before climbing down from his impromptu safety net. Gods he'd probably pulled something, but damn, he'd put himself out there, and done something truly adventurous for the first time in nearly twenty years. It felt good.

Now where was that damned boy? With the storm settling, Eli could assume the battle had concluded, but which of the fighters was victorious he dared not guess. The best course of action would be to hide below decks while it all blew over. He scanned the deck for a few seconds before seeing the limp form of his companion. Swearing, he ran to the boy, checked his vitals, and picked him up. There would be more time to assess wounds when they were in relative safety. Eli, carrying the shapeshifter boy, went through the crew's quarters, and under them, to the cargo deck. Setting the boy down, he began to recheck his heartbeat and the temperature of his skin. So far he was fine, but he was also unconscious. Eli tried to peel back the mask, in an attempt to see if the boy had been hit anywhere on the face and with his other hand checked the crown of his head for bumps or swelling. The mask, however, held strong to the boy's face, and Eli decided it was best not to injure him trying to remove it, in the event that it was somehow attached to him.

Kalak8538

The wooden mask reacted to the mans touch. As if by magic, the boy immediately snapped awake. This was shown not by the mask's artwork, but by the boy's sudden movement.

He sat up amongst the cargo, quickly throwing a hand up to the mask. The eyes of the fox mask, although unmoving, found the old sailor's. After the original shock had faded, the boy's hands fell to lay on his side. He let out a light groan of soreness.

ValamLym

Kirsten turned on her heels as Naomi spoke, but she couldn't help but stare at Naomi's side as the blood seeped through her fingers, a primal feeling settling within her mind. Already? she thought, figuring that the fight with Naomi had been more then she had bargained for and thus cost her a lot more energy, because despite her regeneration being infinite, it did cost energy, energy she had to recover at some-point, there had been scenarios where her regeneration had been used so often she couldn't move anymore, all energy used to heal her wounds.

Thus her blood now demanded its dues and Naomi was presenting them to it like some sort of delicious cake. Shaking her head, Kirsten regained control of herself, but the staring had no doubt been noticed. ''I.. eh.. Sure! Lets get you up though.'' she stepped back toward Naomi trying to seem as un-threatening as possible, she didn't want to throw her current employer off further. ''Don't worry.. I am in control.'' another step as she offered her hand toward Naomi, if she took it she would pull the woman up and let her lean on her shoulder, bringing the arm she had taken around her neck.

''Do you know a doctor? Surgeon? that wound needs to be looked at.''

Incognus

She had best be in control, the pirate thought. Naomi took note of the vampire's stare and reluctantly took her hand, allowing Kirsten to help her up the rest of the way. She shrugged the Neko off when she offered a shoulder, however.

"I be fine," she replied, "Had worse out at sea I have." The wound was bleeding, and it was painful, but luckily it was only a flesh wound. Naomi doubted it had punctured any organs. She unwraped the red cloth from around her head and tied it snuggly around her waist before looking around. Where had that old sailor gone? The young boy was missing too, but she could care less about him, the sailor on the other hand held promise, she knew his experience could be useful and hoped he hadn't fled. She would find out if he was around once they finally set sail.

Her eyes glanced over to the straggling onlookers. Most were ordinary townsfolk with fearful expressions on their faces, but one stood out, and it wasn't just because she recognized the half dragon from the bar either. It was also because he didn't seem to hold that same fearful look. Although Naomi couldn't be certan, draconians were hard to read. She made eye contact with the beast before looking over to the Coral Star. It seemed all her secrets were spilling out faster than she would have liked and that was something that could cost the pirate her prize.

"Let's jus get ta the ship," Naomi spat, she was tired and pissed. Looking over to the half dragon the woman flicked her head so he would know to follow. She might as well include him in the details, knowing he wouldn't be one to go running his mouth to any authority. She also wasn't keen on being alone with Kirsten lest their heads butt again.

JackieCat

Revvil caught the woman's glance, and nodded, disappearing into the quickly dispersing crowd.  He appeared out of an alleyway moments later and followed the two women, quickly catching up to them.

"That was quite a show," he hissed. "Is this going to be a regular sort of thing, or just once in a while?"

He didn't particularly care about the details of the fight, as long as they didn't jeopardize their endeavor any further than they already had.  All the draconian wanted was a place on a pirates ship and gold, so as long as the spat didn't affect that, he was fine with whatever quarrels these women had.
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Incognus

"That's the end of it." Naomi snapped. It'd damned better be. Naomi stormed on towards the boat with the two soon to be sailors in tow. The cold wind blew at her clothing as she climbed the boarding ramp. The storm was dying but it hadn't been long at all since it had started to do so. A quick glance at the skies showed thick grey clouds overhead, and the pirate knew it would probably rain for a good while before things finally blew over. Stepping onto the deck, a sailor standing aboard yelled over to them.

"Oi! Where ya think you lot are goin?"

"Aboard!" Naomi spun and yelled at him. She clinched her jaw when the movement cause pain to flair in her fresh wound. The sailor took two steps forward before recognizing the woman.

"Oh, me apologies miss Vayne." He nodded to the others behind her. "But who be thay?"

"More crew. Balton." She cocked her head when saying his name, in an attempt to signal him to leave them alone so as not to draw attention.

"Ahh," he smiled at the realization and raised a hand to tip his hat at the newcomers. "Welcome aboard mates." Then the sailor walked away.

Naomi huffed and continued to the stairs that led below deck. That baffon obviously hadn't noticed the fight that had just taken place. He probably would have recognized Kirsten if he'd been paying any attention. Likely been too busy drinkin below an' playin cards with his mates. She started down the creaky wooden stairs and into the Coral Star.

ValamLym

Kirsten barely paid the new arrival any mind, his comments barely registering as she looked at his odd appearance. What was a lizard like himself doing here anyway? On second thought, she probably had even less reason to be her for appearance alone, being a cat and all that. Eventually she shrugged and followed Naomi.

She simply greeted the sailor that came toward them with a wave, not wanting to start running her mouth just yet. Even if she wanted to, this fight had gotten her tired and hungry. She hoped whatever Naomi wished to show or talk about didn't take too long, unless they wanted another show of force. Besides, she wasn't going to turn on her anyway, as long as she was paid, she had that much of a code.

Following Naomi she waited until they were beneath the deck and no-one else was around ''So, what's the deal then?'' she simply asked, figuring she'd simply drop the question without risking that one of them might hear something they are not supposed to. Kirsten could so far only guess as to what her plain might be, but she had the distinct impression it might have something to do with taking over.

Incognus

Naomi looked around and lowered her voice, "The deal be this-" she cut herself short when her eyes landed on two others in the cargo hold. "Well I's be damned." It was the old chap and the young masked boy, Musta ran an takin shelter ere.. "Sailor!" she called to Eli, then flicked her head for him to join them in the secluded corner. "An leave yer mutt where he is." The boy wasn't part of her plans and if he were to learn of it and go spouting a tale after she kicked him off the ship... well that would be problematic.

Magyar

"Ye finally decided to stop stirrin' the drink like a fuckin' soup bowl out there 'ave ye?" Eli growled in his gravelly undertones. He shifted his gaze to Kirsten, and said too, "And you! Ye ain't gonna be bitchin' out fer no reason again? I know yer a blood sucker an' technically everyday is the bloody time o' the month fer ye, but fer fuck's sake there's a reason women weren't allowed to sail."

When he was done ranting he grumbled to himself and wiped his hands unnecessarily on his pants before standing up. He gestured toward the draconian, and snapped rather bluntly, "The fuck ar' you?" Before an answer could be given, Eli waved it off and centered back on Naomi. He put his hands on his hips like a mother chastising their child, but simply stared for a few seconds over his mustache before sighing, taking off his hat and running a hand through his hair. He readjusted his cap and asked, "So what now, then?"

Incognus

"hmph." Naomi's lips twitched in the direction of a smile. This old sailor had a mouth worse than hers, and it was amusing. She looked over the small group and made sure to check the boy and any other possible eavesdroppers were absent. Turning back, she began.

"Now I's jus gonna be straight with ye. This aint a job fer no law lovers. But that ere much yew shoulda figured out already," she whispered, "The captn of this vessel be a man named Knotley. And I ken assure that there aint but a handful of sailors that actually hold their swords loyal ta the man. He be the worst kinda scoundrel, hoardin pay from the crew and switchin up his deck hands every dockin due to his sailors quittin." She looked between the three to make sure they were paying close attention. "The way I reckon, there gonna be a mutiny sooner or later, and this be a mighty fine boat... It'd be a shame ta let another fool take her over when we could put the ship to some real use."

Naomi took a moment to look around before continuing quietly. "I be tellin ya this cause I trust ye aint gonna go spoutin no tales. I's already gots a good deal o' men backin me on this one. But I need more hands ta be sure it's smooth sailin... And if I'm being honest, ye all'd be mighty handy out on the open waters.. An' I ken promise each of ya an officer position un'er my command." Her eyes grew sterner after this though, "But we gonna make one thing clear right here an now. I am in charge, and each of ya will take me orders when I give em. And if I hears that any one of yew are tryin ta plot anythin behind me back. It aint gonna end well."