Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Nice, Relaxing Dinner [M] [Magyar]

Started by DaGlobster, November 30, 2016, 11:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaGlobster

Crembor closed the door to his shop, sighing. He leaned against it for a few moments before coughing lightly. Today had been particularly long and annoying, as a constant stream of customers for both his surgical services and herbal storefront pretty much kept him on his toes for every waking moment.

With closing time came peace and a chance to finally unwind. He left the door alone, going behind his counter to retrieve a small vial of blood and a small, cloth bag. Someone had come in to get a hand amputated, and for Crembor, this meant a nice bit of fresh meat was in his future.

By the time dinner was ready, it had been a solid half hour since closing, and Crembor was enjoying a stew with chunks of a very lightly cooked meat floating around in it. His personal area (Which was the room on the opposite side of the shop from the door) was decorated rather practically, with only the necessities and a few creature comforts like a rocking chair and a nice blanket. Crembor sat in this chair, tucking into his food at a relaxed pace.

What he'd neglected to notice was that he'd forgotten to switch the "open" sign over to "closed."

Magyar

"How lovely," Raoun commented upon opening the door, a little bell ringing as it swung by. The shop smelled of tea leaves and anesthetic. An odd combination, to be sure. It was late and Raoun was lucky to catch a shop that hadn't closed, as most had for sleep or supper by now. The foyer of the shop, if it could be called that, was dark and the little place seemed to be dead. But the sign had said OPEN, and so Raoun had come, in need of a particularly hard to acquire plant. He was in search of a rare herb, and a rarer flower. Agrimony, the healing herb, was what he sought, and the bloom Edel, a mountain flower he was collecting for it's sweet nectar. What he needed them for even he didn't know, for the errand was one of Naialei's.

'Think ye his shop carries what we seek? It would be the ninth to spurn my search, if it does not.'

Her voice ran through his mind like a bell. A very annoying bell, that could never be muted.

"Mayhaps it does, mayhaps it doesn't," he muttered under his breath, "Either way I still won't see the need to do this at this ungodly hour. You're lucky a shop is even open at all."

Raoun himself had not seen anyone at the till, and though he had been there only a moment, it was only a moment that usually passed before a store-owner made their presence known to a potential customer.

"Hello?" he called, a tad apprehensively. Maybe they had gone out.

DaGlobster

At the sound of his shop door opening, Crembor was immediately on alert. He fell still, going quiet in the dim, candlelit room that was his personal chamber. In silence, he heard someone muttering out by the storefront, and it was with that same silence that he stood from his table, taking up his cane as he eyed the door.

He could smell one person, but he was talking as if there was another. Troubling.

After a few moments, he cleared his throat, and the tapping of a cane against the ground signalled his entry. He ambled into the storefront, eyes locking onto the single person in his store.

"Shop's closed, read the sig--" he started, and even lifted his cane slightly to point at the door, but when he saw that his sign was the other way around, he just sighed, and set his cane back down.

"That is, if I'd remembered to flip the sign."

Grumbling, he ambled over to his counter, and rested a hand on it, letting out a few coughs.

"Well, you're already in here, so I might as well ask you what I can help you with."

Magyar

Raoun was a bit taken aback, and glanced back at the sign with a puzzled glance. Then the pieces fell into place, and he realized that this shop had indeed intended to be closed. Nonetheless, opportunity had struck. Who was he to turn it down, however impolite the scenario may have been.

Before he made to move, Naia sent a wary thought his way, This old man does not feel normal. Caution is always welcome in a path where danger is unforseen.

"Yes, of course," he grumbled back, "But then again normalcy is hardly something we can flaunt now is it?"

Naia gave the mental equivalent of a snort, and she resonated skepticism. Still she said, Take care, is all, Raoun.

If he took heed of her words, she never knew, for Raoun stepped up to the counter and immediately struck up conversation with Crembor, saying, "Have you any Agrimony? The leaf and stem I require, and ground root if you provide it as such. If not, I can grind it myself..." here he paused, because he knew the chances were slim that what he wanted was in stock, "Also, do you have any Edelweiss? I know it's a bit of a strange request, but our need is urgent, and money is not a concern."

DaGlobster

Crembpr watched with a mixture of curiosity and caution as his visitor grumbled a few words to himself, almost as if he was carrying a conversation with an unseen person. His keen ears caught every syllable, and at the mention of a mutual lack of normalcy between his visitor and whoever he was addressing, the old ghoul was ever more on guard. His apprehensiveness was visible in the way the wrinkles around his eyes tightened ever so slightly.

"Agrimony's simple enough. If you'd rather have it ground, I sell it by the gram, fifteen coppers a piece," Crembor said, and he turned to one of the various medicine cabinets behind his counter and fetched a rather large jar fullof the stuff and a measuring spoon.

"Now, the Edelweiss is a bit of a more complicated affair. I don't have the plant in its raw form, however, I do have a few containers of powdered medicine that are primarily Edelweiss in make. The rest of the mixture is sugar, to make it softer on the digestion."

He cleared his throat.

"Excellent for intestinal constitution."

Magyar

Raoun frowned, but asked,"What part of the bloom is the powder made of? I am in need of a very specific part of the flower."

This man was either naturally cautious or didn't like Raoun, because even here in his own shop, his unease was obvious. Perhaps he knew about Naia. But how could he? She hadn't broadcast he presence, as far as he knew, but he had been talking to her when they'd entered the shop.

Talking to yourself does make you seem crazy.

"Shut up." He grumbled under his breath, hoping he was quiet enough that the storekeeper wouldn't discern his words.

DaGlobster

Crembor heard the grumbled words, but made no comment on them. He narrowed his eyes.

"It's made from the stem," Crembor started, and he proceeded to open up a cabinet to procure that jar as well.

"I think I've still got a few of the leaves as well."

Tags: