Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Urchins (CyclicalCycal)

Started by Whim, December 02, 2016, 11:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

"I would remember, little Cara, that someone a great deal nastier than I might have bought you. They are a small price to pay for warmth and comfort, I think.

"Your magic, both of yours', is in my capable hands. I will put it to good use, and you both may reap its fruits. I will even show you when we are done breakfast. And what was that you just said?" the lady inclined her head at the unfamiliar tongue. Or did she know it? It was so hard to tell.

Ewan let his apple core fall to the plate with a louder clatter, idly scratching a furry arm. He looked between Lady Selwin and Cara, "Can't I be turned back? This' just... annoying." Lady Selwin did, at least, seem to have patience for whining.
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

CyclicalCycal

Cara glared and glared and glared and glared, and when she was eventually asked a question she smiled a little smile of knowledge. "Nothing!" She exclaimed rather abruptly and in a rather chipper mood. She was absolutely not going to let Cara learn her language, no. That was reserved for friends.

Which she was distinctly not.

Cara glanced at Ewan, as he spoke, then back at Selwin. She was inclined to agree, nodding and speaking. "Change him back! He's a bad...thing, and that's not nice. If you're so nice...why don't you change him back?" She implored, thinking she made a rather good point this time.

Whim

"The poor dear might be a touch hairy but as you can see I've not harmed any of the hairs on his head," the sorceress gave a wry smile. "And I think it will serve as a reminder you'd both best behave, mm?"

"But I didn't even do anything!" he grumbled and looked to Cara with a sigh. He supposed making them mistrust eachother was the whole point so he let it go. The boy rudely gulped down his tea and they finished the meal in silence.

Lady Selwin clapped her hands to signal the end of the meal, and a mouse-like little imp shuffled in from the kitchens to collect the plates. "Thistle think you'd both be well suited to tend my garden. I am inclined to agree. I think you will appreciate seeing your magic put to good use. Come along!" She lead them toward the back hall.

"Thanks for, um, standing up for me..." Ewan gave Cara a shy smile as the two followed after the witch.

When they reached the back of the estate lady Selwin nudged open the door to reveal a vast garden of wintered trees, brambles, and scummy fountains. It was not very pretty. Probably a consequence of the season.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

CyclicalCycal

Cara scowled, as she wandered after Selwin. She didn't really pay attention to her, finding her explanations and statements and such to be droll and drab and rather uninteresting. In one ear, out the other.

Now, Cara thought Ewan was worth paying attention to, looking over to him as he spoke. She rose an eyebrow, for a brief moment, before giving him a nod and moving on. She figured that, if she were to be...imprisoned...she would, at the very least, make friends with the person she was imprisoned with.

But, sooner or later, they'd be free.

Cara trudged through the estate in a rather annoyed manner. Contempt was the perfect word to describe her attitude towards the building. However, that changed when Selwin showed the garden to Cara.

Even if the garden was quite frigid and half-dead, it was better than the mansion, better than the estate. By a wide, wide, wide margin. Cara went to stumble on into it, a grin crossing her face as she glanced about, before it swiftly faded.

Then, Cara began to madly claw at her ears.

Whim

Lady Selwin traced her finger along the stonework of a nearby planter, carved with images of fauns, nymphs and child-like fey. As her finger touched the soil tiny bits of green began to sprout. In a manner of seconds it was filled with azaleas in full bloom. The Red Witch smiled. "Simply marvelous. Why don't the pair of you clear the rest of this rot away," she gestures to the mess of dead leaves and detritus scattered throughout the garden. "It would be lovely to have it blooming year round, wouldn't it Cara?"

"Could've hired gardeners for cheaper..." Ewan crossed his arms and grumbled. Cara and himself both likely cost a small fortune. The boy's eyes darted to the girl. Was she having another fit? She really wasn't doing well. He gently put a hand on her shoulder "Um, Cara...?"

Lady Selwin simply frowned and watched with interest, aristocratic and uncaring.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

CyclicalCycal

Cara reeled around, grabbing at Ewan and hissing to him. "Whispers! S-so many whispers! Their voices aren't cl-clear! I can't! I d-don't! Make them stop! Give them their voices back!"

She was not coping with this 'issue' very well. She seemed quite mad, in fact. She was panting, and glancing about, and seemed to be afraid of everything that made the slightest bit of noise and moving.

But, that wasn't madness. No, that was panic!

Whim

Ewan tried to hold Cara steady, but found himself pulled in front of the girl as she ducked around him hissing. "Is he co-" the boy shut himself up before giving anything away. Was this father of her's coming? Or was the entire garden in a seething rage at the witch? Best not to ask.

"I keep telling you she really isn-"

"Hardly the first mageling I've taken into my care. I own a home for wayward children with special talents. It's frightening to be away from home. In time I think you will be comfortable here." Isaura made an attempt at a reassuring smile,  but you could see in her eyes  I she wasn't. The sorceress paused to admire the azaleas, unconcerned with Cara's fit. "It should take you some days to clear all this rot for my garden. If you do well this morning you may take lunch with me."

She turned toward the house.

The boy watched Isaura go with a heavy sigh, "Are you okay? Whose whispering? Your- your father?" his brow was knitted half with  a worry and half with interest.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

CyclicalCycal

"No! No. He is far away! No! But-but they hiss! Angry! All around us and I can't...hear them..." She stuttered out to Ewan. She gestured about the area, as if that was helpful. Perhaps it was. Regardless, she shot Selwin a glare as she wandered off, turning to Ewan and going to hiss.

Now, she was a slight more coherent. "Th-the things that are here-they're angry. The...flora. I can't...quite...hear them!" She paused, of course, before continuing. "Th-this woman is e-e-evil! Can we...her!" She suggested, rather grimly for a young child. Then again, Cara was a box of surprises.

Cara, regardless of Ewan's response, grabbed at her ears again. She looked uncomfortable. She looked distressed.

Whim

"You can hear them? I guess... I guess that's what elves do." The boy frowned and wandered over to the azaleas. The rest of the garden had wintered over and was mostly a gathering of dead leaves and scrappy bushes.

"Are these any different from the others?" he reached out to touch the pink bloom, casting his gaze back to the nervous girl. "She made 'em with your powers after all." What would she do with his? Live forever he supposed. Or create some awful chimeras.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

CyclicalCycal

"...Lk bcubu..." Cara mumbled, as Ewan went to touch the flower. Cara wandered up behind him, peering down at it. "D-don't...you get it...I c-can't hear it! It's so...

...quiet." She said that word 'quiet' as if it was distasteful. As if the merest utterance of it would harm her. "...why-why can't it be loud again? W-with the voices..." She mumbled, mostly to herself. Regardless, Cara glanced about the garden. Here, she was in her element. She had a tiny spark of her strength left, and could get a little bit more if she needed some. Surely, there was something she could do to escape. Or, at least, get a message out.

Whim

"...Oh," Ewan slapped his forehead. Was it worse for plants to be screaming in agony or quiet? "I don't know. I suppose she doesn't... grow them right? But you said yourself she didn't take all your mag-"

Ewan hushed up. That was meant to be a secret. "Wonder what she plans to do with my power? Make monsters?" the boy sounded almost excited, flexing a furry hand. He'd hoped he enough in him to do something like that.

At the very edge of the garden a pair of birds fluttered around a spindly tree, pecking at the cold earth to dredge up seeds. "Hey! You can talk to those right?" he hissed.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

CyclicalCycal

Cara slowly turned to the birds, grinning and nodding. She hurried over to them, clenching her fists and closing her eyes and going to say. "Hi!"

She paused, for a moment, staring at them. They hadn't had reacted. Cara tilted her head, before sitting down and bowing her head down towards the ground, shutting her eyes once more. She began to seemingly meditate.

Then, she spoke again. And the birds looked to her with a great interest in her.

"...gree-tings...bir-dies?" Cara asked, her voice being quite strained.

Whim

Ewan toddled after Cara. The boy was feeling useless when it came to making an escape. At least it was his idea. Maybe she'd show him how to talk to animals too, not that now was the time, but it would be handy. But at the rate things were going he was going to be an animal soon enough...

The pair of cardinals settled into the tree as Cara approached. Birds hadn't much fear of humans in Zantaric. They were good for scavenging. The female cocked her head at Cara, "Hello ... new fledglings? Red Lady ... flew away. We miss them."

"What are they saying?" Ewan whispered. He didn't want to disturb Cara but curiosity won out.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

CyclicalCycal

Cara twitched, breaking out of her trance and shooting Ewan a glare. "I'm not really very strong at the moment!" She chirped out, angrily. "So it's taking...a lot of effort to talk to these ones! B-but...they're saying that we're 'new fledglings' and that 'Red lady flew away'. And they miss them."

Cara then turned back to the birds, falling into her dream-like trance. It was quite evident she was doing something magical. Well, hopefully nobody would want to stop that or bother her. She turned her attention to the birds, going to speak with them.

"I. Am Ca-ra. I...I am. Tr-apped. Hee-ar." She spoke, spluttering afterwards. "Pl-ease. Help?" She asked, looking to them. Cara felt some terrible weary weakness. Her powers had faded. Where animals once followed all her commands, they now had their own thoughts. Own opinions. Own agendas. Not so easily swayed.

Worst of all, she didn't know this, as she waited with bated breath.

Whim

Ewan scrwed up his face at Cara's remark, he didn't much like being scolded by the younger girl extenuating circumstances aside. "So what's that mean? There were other kids before us?"

"Little humans fed us, danced and played. grew bored with them and sent them away. Won't you stay?" the male regarded them lazily, stretched his wings

The female at least seemed to sense Cara was upset. Though she certainly took a patronizing tone, "Why do you need help? Is good nest!"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

CyclicalCycal

Cara frowned, going to hiss quite accusingly at the bird. "N-no! Need to g-go home! Sp-speak with fa-ther. He g-gets m-m-mad if I am-aw-ay. Pl-ease help?" She implored again.

After a small pause to catch her breath, she turned to Ewan. Cara had sweat forming on her brow. "Yes! They were fed by 'little humans'. Then...they were sent away..." She said, realisation burning into her voice, as worry began to make its way across her face. "I don't...like this place." She mumbled, as if she hadn't already made that sentiment crystal clear.

Whim

"You suppose she's gonna eat us?" the boy said dumbly, reddening at how foolish it sounded in retrospect. But that brought other questions to mind. Drain them until there was nothing? It was an unsettling thought and he didn't want to upset Cara further if their situation was so dire. He kept his mouth shut.

"Little fledgelings have no sires, no nest, no brood." the male clucked, as though delivering some hard-truth. "...why she keeps you, yes?"

"...not orphaned. Lost." The female pecked at him, then fixed her gaze on Cara. "Many fathers many males. Big and small. Tall and fat. Speak the name, yes?" Where beasts once saw Cara for what she was on sight, perhaps, these did not.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

CyclicalCycal

"The name...?" Cara mumbled, to herself. Her eyes lit up, nodding. "The name! Y-you mean my...father's name?" She asked, carefully to the birds. "...my fath-er's name. Is. Tharron. Ovun. Tha-rron. O-vun." She nodded. "...I am Ca-ra. O-vun." Her father's name carried weight, to some animals. But...it was a hit or miss thing. While an undoubtedly powerful, and primal, bloodline she was from; her father had withdrew. He had focused on one specific grove of his.

This was not good for her, or his, notability. But, with a little bit of luck, perhaps the animals would recognise it. Still, Cara waited with bated breath. This was her chance!

Whim

"Tharron Ovun! Yes! And I am his good friend the Lost Prince of Owls!" Ovun was more myth to them than anything. They chirped with laughter until they realized the little girl was pouting.  "You do not laugh and joke little grub... you do not lie?" the female leaned forward, inspecting Cara with renewed interest.

Ewan lazed against a wall as his friend talked to the birds. The boy suddenly heard crunching leaves and whirled. Thistle was making his way toward the pair... thrashing toward the overgrowth. "C-care... hurry up he's coming!" he glanced between Cara and the imp in a panic, pondering how he might distract their captor.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

CyclicalCycal

Cara stared at the birds. She was absolutely livid. "...i-if he learns that you didn't help me...h-he...will...kill you." Cara said, gravely. This was no lie. Either Cara truly believed this, or was truly deluded into thinking this. Regardless, she stared back. She did not flinch. She did not blink. SHe knew, wholly and truly, that what she said was true.

Regardless, Cara was very swiftly drawn away from their attention, turning back to Ewan. She listened to him, and then, made the decision not to care what he said, looking back to the birds. All or nothing. She would either gain everything or...well...be punished? Surely, it couldn't be that bad. She spoke to the birds, a hushed whisper. "W-will you...h-help me?"

Tags: