Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The War Machine Spits the Most Coin [Wolfman]

Started by AevumEternity, December 04, 2016, 09:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AevumEternity

He was left several long moments of peace before Hakon appeared next to him once again, this time with the cloak clasped about her neck, observing the steadily lightening sky beside Zod in several moments of silence. Pursing her lips, she murmured," I cannot tell if that thing was once a mage or the result of demoncraft or some primal rituals- could you?" this seemed to be a rather cringe worthy attempt at small talk. The Major definitely was not the most suave creature Connlaoth had to offer, but there was sincerity in her question.

She could not recall seeing such a beast before, even in her brief clashes with demons this was... Just nothing short of a freak even my magical standards- or so she assumed. But, alas, her mind returned to her companion's rapid healing- though the Mordecai Grandmaster had managed to slip to the top of the ranks as a shapeshifter, his only excuse being that his abilities were biological rather then magical, she never the less felt an unease toward her companion. Though- it has been somewhat admirable to watch him simply sink his teeth into the demon while it attempted to do the same- not many were willing to taste foul blood even to save themselves.

WolfMan

Feeling much calmer, he heard her approach as she drew closer to him. As she spoke, he returned to his feet. His eyes were much calmer now, displaying his usual kind stare with a slight twinkle. He could hear, what he thought to be a slight hesitation as she started to speak, but he thought nothing of it.

"I know not. They seem much too powerful to be considered human." He looked upon himself with irony as he finished, "but I know i can kill it. Whatever it may be. With things like this about, everything changes. This is no longer a mission for simple coin."

Pausing, he gathered his things into the pack he brought with him, and slung it over his back. Turning back to her, he walked closer. Breaking their usual standing distance of acquainted strangers, he got as close as a good friend would. He softly spoke with confidence,

"I don't know how, why, or who exactly turned me into what stands before you now. I don't know how it works, and I don't know how to control it. But I do know this. I know I'm still every bit a man as when I was dragged into that chamber. I know I feel pain at the strike of a sword. I know i can't do that," he paused, motioning to the general area of where its corpse stained the earth.

Taking a step closer to her yet, he resumed speaking. "And I know that as long as these mages still breath life, and the possibility exists of more creatures like this roaming these parts...I am an easy, and unsatisfied man."

Earnestly grabbing her shoulder, he gently steered themselves back into the direction of the house. "We best get a move on, major."

AevumEternity

She watched him steadily as he approached, neither moving forward to meet him nor traveling backwards to retreat- simply listening with a quite unreadable gaze. His hand rested upon her shoulder, likely feeling the muscle pulled so taut that it was almost like pressing a statue of stone, the utter opposite of whatever the creature had possessed beneath its hide. Human- so at least that was good to know.

Turning slightly on her heel, the Major nodded slightly, listening to the calls of her unit as they awoke and began to tack the beasts. Briefly, she reached up, placing her hand over his while she located her armor within the ruins, murmuring absently," The one with a purpose to fulfill is the most dangerous." Pulling away as she mobed to retrieve the silver plates of steel.

It took Quite the while  to replace her armor, but when it was done, Hakon felt an immense relief, tacking the cloak about her throat as she slung the great shield over her back and the scimitar at her hip. Her gaze flickers to Zod, tilting her head to one side,"... You'll need a beast if you are to ride with us. But I suppose you do not know how-" she pauses thoughtfully, gazing at him unblinkingly

WolfMan

Grasping her hand firmly however briefly, Zod turned to her, "Well then lets show them ours friend."

While she put her amor on, he carefully put his leg armor on. He gathered up what supplies he left in the home. He rolled up her deerskin blanket, and extinguished the faintly burning embers. Turning to his own, he was delighted at the sight of his own blood on the fur, or at least, most of it was his. Taking a rather large and sharp knife from his boot, he cut into the blanket, tearing off a small chunk. Placing it into his pocket, he turned to Hakon and wickedly smiled.

"It left its scent behind. How....unfortunate." To her question, Zod shrugged, "I am fast, but I do not have the speed of a horse. If you prefer me to lead you to the best I can, otherwise I'm comfortable heading into the fray of battle. Just give me a head start."

AevumEternity

Tilting her head curiously, the young woman muses softly," Lead us..? Just be cateful- not all the men are quite as accepting with biological... Enhancements as I am." She chides gently, she motioned idly toward the men beginning to saddle up.

Hakon moves from the building," Go ahead, I shall gather the men." Tilting her head slightly, Moving away at a relaxed gait- the attack seeming to have no phases her at all.

WolfMan

Zod could already tell the scent headed south towards the direction of the battle. How convenient, he thought to himself. "I shall scout ahead, and see what we're up against. The scent heads in that general direction for now. I assume it'll take you an hour to ready the whole force? I'll be back before then, if not, push on without me."

Having left the building, he watched her slowly walk away. Placing his chest armor on and gauntlets on, he turned to leave himself. He walked at a normal pace to the south edge of the city. Nodding to the guard he passed, he waited until he was out of sight. The foul stench wafted directly from the south.

Increasing his pace to a light, stealthy jog, he unsheathed his sword, scanning the forest and clearing alike for movement.

AevumEternity

As he followed the scent, it would become oddly akin to that of the cat who had observed the pair the night before. The trees seemed to grow sparser as well, thorny bushes replacing ferns, oaks become white, bone-like husks of sad trees that died long ago and had begun to petrify slowly. The clearing he observed held an assortment of scents, tens of smells from tens of individuals who had converged there mere hours ago. But now, it was empty, void of even the wind passing through.

The Major meanwhile, had mounted Purgatorio, her faithful white Theocog- the beast moving to and fro impatiently as she briefly pressed her hands against the plates that covered the steed's neck, murmuring a mantra of a prayer. Waiting for her Captains to give the word that they were ready to depart.

Even as she attempted to meditate upon the words of Ansgar's prayer, her mind kept sliding curiously toward Zod- trying to rip the man apart to truly find what... Made him him. He very much was unlike any ally or foe she had encountered before.

WolfMan

How fitting it was the changer assumed the form of a cat Zod thought to himself. For it is cats who ambush their prey, one of few predators in the bush that relied on stealth primary to take down their targets.

He crashed through the underbrush, but rapidly and with great speed. The trees began thinning, and so did his cover. He crouched lower to the ground as he continued to trod along. He slowed, as he heard distant crackling of what sounded, and smelled like a fire. Almost kneeling, he took a moment to listen in.

Creeping along the hill, he quickly inched his way closer and closer to the pair. The adorned similar blue robes. Having the permission he needed, Zod silently rushed to meet his query. Blade held forward, he smashed through the back of the first assailants, blade emerging from his gut. Having been caught completely by surprise, he was slammed into the ground as Zod tacked him along with the blow.

Although this wasn't the smell he was looking for, Zod would at least attempt to lighten up the resistance. Placing one foot on the man's back, Zod ripped his sword clean and walked towards his other target, who had adequate time to back up, away from Zod.

Instead of being inspired by the hunt, his thoughts shifted back to Hakon. He wondered what she would've done in his position, how she would handled the situation. He enjoyed thinking of her, but needed to get into the moment of battle. He attempted to shake these thoughts, as he rushed forward to his 2nd prey.

AevumEternity

The second mage alas, was much more prepared, a flames suddenly leaping from his fingertips- rushing toward Zod in a roar as he screamed a warning to wherever his fellows- wherever they made have been hidden.

A plume of black-grey smoke rose from the foothills, the Major ovserving this as the direction the mercenary had disappeared to. Glancing back, the captains indicated the unit was ready to depart as the column began to move out from the ruined village. Silver-white armor causing the troop from afar to look like a silvery stream over black-brown ground.

WolfMan

Flames brushed over Zod's gold tinted armor, beginning to turn it black. They rushed into Zod's outstretched hands, causing him to painfully cry out. Still rushing into the brunt of the fire, Zod began to close the distance. Some hit his leg armor, and others yet punched into his right cheek, causing them to instantly blister and swell.

Having closed the distance, Zod struggled to keep eye contact from his immense pain that peppered his entire body. Taking a wild swing into the man's midsection, he backed up, poised to take another strike if need be.

AevumEternity

The mage drew a blade, advancing upon him quickly while more flames danced between his fingers, clearly about to fry the mercenary where he stood before pausing as an odd sound echoed through the bone trees. He paused long enough as if listening to the odd wailing cry. The knige trembled slightly before the cloaked man sighs wistfully- pointing the blade at Zod.

" Lucky man." He chuckled before fleeing rather unceremoniously but swiftly

Shortly after, several armored beasts  emerged from the underbrush. Upon a giant boar, a man with a massive guan dao pointed his pike at Zod," I assume this mess if from you, hm?"

WolfMan

Not exactly in the best position to give chase, his 3rd degree burns, now black in some places, riddled his body. The majority of the burns were underneath his armor, but as the flames stopped, his hands and cheek began turning a lighter shade of black.

"Darling..." Zod called out to his prey in a snarling tone, now fleeing the scene. He reached to his belt, and with a whirl, a small metal blade hurled itself towards the back of the mage's knees. Having the scent of that particular mage, he turned away, not caring about whether or not his knife hit his target.
He had bigger, and more plentiful concerns.

Sword drawn, and still panting, he approached the new man that spoke to him. Zod presumed this to be the leader. The boars and other animals shifted uncomfortably as he approached. The scent he was tracking gone. Instead, the wretched smell of fear saturated this grove he now found himself in. Fear of the animals, and fear of some of the men as they watched Zod's now deep red hands and cheek.

Sword held in a low guard, he started to strafe to the side, attempting to cause the others circle as well.  "Aye," he said simply. Giving a brief pause, he resumed, "and another to match it if you try anything stupid," normally a response such as this would been laughed off, four armed men on beast facing just one.

As this thought could've been had, Zod's scars now lightened to that of a pink hue. His armor menacingly now black, with eerie stripes of faded gold.

AevumEternity

The mage cries out, it seemed the knife hit its mark yet still the man dragged himself away- disappearing into the dry foliage.

The boar rider's eyes narrowed slightly behind the grating of the helm, turning his torso slightly sideways in a wary, defensive stance as the greatboar's cloven hooves gouging the earth as the other riders simply observe in a professional silence," Careful whom you address, merc," Boar Rider growls gruffly-

" Do you or do you not have the trail?"

WolfMan

"And who might I have the pleasure in addressing," Zod said in a vaguely sarcastic, but mostly dry tone.   He his guard into a more relaxed state.

"Yes," he replied simply, and viciously. He did this not towards his speakers, but that he relished in having the opportunity to kill another one.

He wondered how Hakon fared, now realizing his affair took well over an hour.

AevumEternity

" That is none of you business swine-!" The man snapped, causing the boar to squeal and toss its large head, tusks seeming to grow more... Prominent. The beast began to move slowly toward him, the man snarling," You shall address me as-"

" Corporal Phyr," a familiar, gravely voice interrupted sharply. The massive armored Theocog appearing from nearby. The helm upon the Major's head made it rather hard to identify her- alas, it was unmistakeable as to whom was speaking.

The large Theocog paused beside Sod, massive ehad swjnging toward him, clearly examining him as the Major murmurs idly," No need to pick fights. We shall have one soon enough." She turned toward him as well, the helm tilting gently," Do you, in fact, have the trail?"

WolfMan

His attempt at intimidation would've worked, but the pun that the man created, caused Zod to grin widely. Looking down at the boar somewhat ironically. His presence was immediately greeted by a familiar one.

Looking up to his companion, he smile grew even wider. He gave Corporal Phry the triumphant look of a bullied child, saved by the parent. Looking at the beast she rode with awe, he scanned it up and down. Its beauty inspired him beyond words. A seemingly once mythical creature, appeared before him in the flesh and blood.

He looked into one of the beasts great eyes, and attempted to give off a soothing aura. Turning his back to the Corporal, he shifted immediately to her. "Of course I do," he began to walk closer to their goal. Looking down, he noted patch of blood left by the 2nd mage. "This trail of blood probably leads directly to their camp. I struck one with a knife as he fled."

As they walked, he watched her great beast with keen interest. Moving his glance to her, he continued ,"The trail of the beast leads straight towards them, at least for the time being anyway."

AevumEternity

The great Theocog seemed to flicker its ears slightly in acknowledgement to his attempts to give a tranquil air- its bright blue eyes flickering back to the wood beyond the gathered group. The Major nods faintly once more, offering him her hand-it seemed with the armor on, her body had grown nearly twice the size with the layers upon layers of protection.

" Then come, we must be sure to meet them and interrogate your quarry. If this is simply more mages rebelling wantonly we have nothing to fear. But drawing closer to Serendipity makes it more likely our enemies may wish to sway influence," her voice grated through the helm, steel seeming to add slight vibrations to each word and lead off into an echo.

" Up now. I'm afraid we do not have time to simply walk."

Hakon noted the blackened state of his armor, the new flesh that pinkened upon his exposed skin- behind the faceplate she frowned unconciously and could not help but feel a slight twinge of fear- not of this man before her but of the fear of this man's abilities to spike the unit's tensions. Any mutations were frowned upon but tensely accepted, this was not to say that there was not discrimintation, alas. With the war raging, biologically different individuals were becoming the target of more and more hate crimes- people always feared what they did not understand...

WolfMan

Looking back at her with amazement and fear, Zod hesitated. "Funny isn't it? A man who can heal is afraid of riding horse." He said this in a low tone, so that the others would have a harder time hearing him. Time was of the essence though, and could not be wasted on simple fears.

Cursing to himself, he griped her hand. Through the metal of her gauntlets, he could still feel the tone and definition. For stereotypically being "dainty," this women had more muscle and in her hand than most, if not all he had met thus far, including himself. He thought of their previous conversation, and how she told him women lived in fantasy worlds. Did she? He doubted it, imaging her plunging the pole arm deep into the chest of those who opposed her. Nothing fantasy about that.

Using the weight of her massive armor, he swung himself up and onto the horse. He did this clumsily, clearly never attempting such a feat before. His hand naturally shifting in hers slightly as he moved, inadvertently feeling her calluses, feeling the years of hard work that accompany such a feature. As his body was lifted into the air, his gaze avoided her armor, now shining and glittering from the sun overhead.

As he settled onto the back of the great beast, his previously held notions of sexism crashed into the ground he had just left. He was never sexist himself, but did nothing to change or challenge the quo. Zod would rather have Hakon fighting at his side, and fight along hers, than give one more drop of sweat to some far away sod he typically worked with.

Sitting directly behind her, she was now bigger than he, due to the near impenetrable fortress that covered her body. Swords, arrows...hell, even magic would have a hard time finding its way in. He motioned towards the direction of the scent. It still headed south, but meandered marginally to the west.

AevumEternity

It still surprised her that he held such fear of mounting a steed, though understandably, a Theocog should not be considered a particularly kind introduction to riding. Purgatorio shifted slightly, clearly a bit peeved to have another added to his back, but even more so by simply scenting the man's anxiety. This of course, caused the great beast to immediately begin to fidget, turning in tight, excited circles as if just testing to see if he would fall off or not.

It took several moments for the Major to bring the great horse under control once more, muttering a couple curses in the process before answering in a near whisper," At least that means, shiuld you slip off- you will be able to get on much more quickly-" clearly attempting to lighten the mood with humor. The slightest movement of her legs caused the armored horse to move forward at a walk, signalling the party to follow suite.

The Corporal Phyr seemed less then pleased with the circumstances but simply did as he was ordered, the unit forming into a spear-headed formation- weaving through the trees with practiced ease in a wall of shining steel. Heading South as he directed.

Hakon glanced back as much as the great pauldrons would allow her, chiding," Should worse come to worse and you feel more comfortable fighting on the ground, your best bet is to slide off the haunches... No need to fling yourself to the side."