Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Old Wounds, New Strengths [Archive]

Started by DragonSong, December 19, 2016, 09:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Tara tried to argue, but her voice choked off when she noticed the thin line of scaling that seemed to have appeared on his neck. Her eyes widened a bit and she started to move forward, but then he sent that man careening back with seemingly almost no effort.

Her hand white knuckled on the hilt of her dagger and she sank back into a crouch, ready to fight if someone came at her- whether it be Marakai or one of the drunken idiots.

Marakai Trin

Luckily, that display of power was all it took. That, and the terrible sight of spreading scales and spikes across his face that the drunkards were able to see, and Tara could not. Two of them dragged the others to their feet, and the lot of them nearly tripped over themselves to run back inside the tavern.

Marakai gave a sigh, and his tension relieved quickly. The visible changes to his appearance melted away, leaving him looking human once again, though those red eyes remained, still glowing like hot coals.

He turned around, flashing a small smile as he bent to pick up his massive great sword and heft it over his shoulder, it's one flat edge resting against his leather pauldron.

"Sorry you had to see that. Don't worry about me...unless you plan in using that toad sticker you're wielding so fiercely."

He raised a brow.

"I'm not going after you. Relax."

DragonSong

"Y'know, I'm not actually sure yet." She hefted the dagger a little higher and eyed him warily. "What the hell was all that?"

Marakai Trin

Marakai gave a sigh, and flipped his sword upside down to plunge it's length into the ground. He then spread his arms wide, and stood their, his guard completely nonexistent.

"Look, stab me as much as you want - it won't make much difference. And I'll tell you everything, if you want to hear it. But not here. I've attracted enough attention to myself already, and I'd rather not have to wreck this...pleasant little place."

He gave another sigh, and lowered his head. "Just rest assured - I'm not going to attack you. Those idiots had it coming. From what I can tell....you don't. You're safe from me."

DragonSong

"Uh-huh." Slowly, Tara lowered her dagger, but her stance was still obviously defensive. "Forgive me if I don't exactly take your word for it."

She didn't try to run though, eyes flicking up and down his form. "Let's move then."

Marakai Trin

Marakai nodded. "Good. Getting stabbed is more trouble than it's worth anyway." He grabbed his sword again, and again hefted it over his shoulder.

"Well...we're searching for yourfriend. You'd better lead the way."

DragonSong

"Oh hell no." She arched an eyebrow at him. "You don't seriously think I'm just going to waltz along the streets with you after that little performance? I'm gonna need a little more to go one here than blind faith." She took a cautious step back, eyes wary.

Marakai Trin

Marakai heaved a great sigh. "Fine. I'll talk. But like I said - not here. Follow me."

He turned away from her, then, and began walking toward the beginning of town. He stepped outside the ramshackle gate, and leaned against a gnarled, dead tree.

DragonSong

Tara followed him warily, her blade still within easy reach. She didn't speak, just watched carefully him as they eventually came to a stop- it was rather hard to tell if she was truly the hunter or the hunted in this situation, and she didn't like it.

Marakai Trin

When she came stop in front of him, he watched her, just like she was him. He honestly had no idea how she would react when he said what he was about to say, but in the end, the worse thing that could happen would be a stabbing, and her departure.

It's not like she could kill him, in any case.

"Tara...if the scales and whatnot weren't clue enough, I don't know what will be. I am Marakai Trin. I am the last member of the royal family, of the Aerie Dragon clan. I AM a dragon. And I still swear, on my nobility - I will not harm you."

DragonSong

Blink.

She cocked her hip and arched an eyebrow. "Uh-huh. And...a dragon prince would be bumming around in back alley taverns...why?"

She didn't disbelieve what he was- hell, she'd met other dragons in human avatars, albeit with quite the presence he had- but she was entirely unconvinced as to his motivation. Nobility meant nothing in her world.

Marakai Trin

"....I'm the last of my race, other than my homicidal elder brother, an old hermit in the Thunderblacks, and possibly my mate. I'm royalty. I'm a black dragon - have you seen any? I'd be hunted if the world knew, and I don't want to destroy the world. I want to save it."

He raised a brow. "I'm in a backwater town, in the bar, trying to blend in. Is that so hard to believe?"

DragonSong

She quirked an eyebrow right back. "Yes, actually. That sounds like something out of a bard's tale- and I should know, I'm a bard."

She huffed  out a breath and ran her hand through her hand, frowning when her fingers caught on a ribbon she'd braided in and forgotten. "Look- let's say I believe you. Why in the name of all the gods would you bother offering to help me find some random human?"

Marakai Trin

"A bard, eh? Well do me a favor and sing no songs, and spin no tales of me." He gave a bitter chuckle, shaking his head. "I've got enough to worry about without my brother hearing about me."

He pushed off of the tree he was leaning against, and looked at her seriously.

"The Aerie Dragon clan is directly descended from what are thought to be the first dragons. In the beginning, the first black dragons were savage, mindless beasts of destruction, under the direct control of the dark Goddess Tiamat, known commonly as the Dread Queen. They and her attacked the Golden one, Crosis, father of all other Dragonkind. In the end, Tiamat was defeated, and her control over my predecessors lost. Without one to follow, some of us turned to Crosis, some to the platinum dragon God Bahamut. But in either case, we were charged with maintaining balance in the world."

He then looked into the night sky, red eyes glowing brilliantly under the dark of night.

"And so, unlike some of the dragons I've seen since my...coming here, I guess you could say...my perception of humanity is different. I may be a dragon, but I am also a man, at least in mind. And so, as one person to another, I offered my help. Even if it was just to pass the time."

DragonSong

Tara shook her head again. "You're mad," she said with a sigh, rubbing at the back of her neck. "You're absolutely made. Shouldn't you be off fighting some evil gods or something, not hanging around in Zantaric taverns?"

She sounded more exasperated than confused. Gods, she so did not need this complication. "Look- if you're really about balance and all that, I doubt you really want to help me."

Marakai Trin

"Mad, you say? No. As I said, I'm the last of my kind, or very nearly so. It's more in my interest to appear human, or at least close to it, so as not to draw attention to myself. And I highly doubt that combat with a God of any sort would end in my favor. My brother is possessed by the essence of one, and the last bout I had with him did indeed end with his death, though at great cost to myself...and for naught, it seems, for the beast was able to resurrect him anyway."

He gave a dismissive shake of his head. "And for what reason should I not help you? You don't seem the sort to attempt to throw the world upon its back, so what harm is there in this?"

DragonSong

"Fine." She tossed her hands up. "On your own head be it- but if your crazy resurrected brother turns up, I'm outta here. Like, yesterday."

Marakai Trin

Marakai gave a laugh. "Perhaps you would be, but then at least you'd know I spoke the truth. The only thing I can prove to you now is that I am, indeed, a dragon, but that probably would end in an attack or mass panic."

He gestured forward. "Nevertheless...if that is done, then lead on."

DragonSong

Tara smirked. "Believe it or not, that's actually the easiest part of your story for me to swallow."

She sighed and ran her hand down her face, then shook her head. "It's late. This...whole mess is going longer than I'd thought- or would prefer- it to. There's a few inns around here, one has to have some free rooms."

She couldn't deal with all this right now. She needed sleep- and maybe some alcohol, she wasn't sure yet. If her target had been in and out of taverns here today, chances were he'd be here tomorrow.

Marakai Trin

Marakai gave a nod. "If not, I have money enough to pay for one for you. You can take your time - I'm in no hurry to leave. I'll try to stay nearby, in case those men from before decide to try for us again, but I doubt they will."

He picked up his sword, and looked back into the town. "I'll follow you, but I think it would be in my best interests to remain outside and hidden, if possible."