Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Old Wounds, New Strengths [Archive]

Started by DragonSong, December 19, 2016, 09:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

The squatter snarled and moved to jerk the blade from his shirt. Suddenly Tara was in front of him, her other knife pressed to his throat.

"I really wouldn't, sweetheart," she cooed.

He growled at her. "Crazy bitch! The hell do you want?"

Her eyes flashed. "You know very well, Camyn. Where is he?"

Camyn glared at her in stony silence.

"Fine." She shrugged and rocked back. "Maybe I'll just have my new friend come ask you. We haven't exactly been quiet, I'm sure he's heard us by now."

Marakai Trin

"I suppose that's my cue..." he mumbled, making his way up the stairs. He'd heard the man upstairs, heard her response, and figured he'd better shoe some muscle before someone got irritated and attacked the other.

It was simplicity itself to follow the sounds of their heated words, and he found himself at a door that had certainly seen better days, knocked aside as it was. Tara certainly wasn't being tactful, but he imagine the situation didn't exactly require it, if their words were any indication.

Narrowing his eyes, he willed the light of his eyes to life, giving him a visage straight from hell as the red illuminated his face. He stooped to enter the room, dragging his massive great sword behind him. When he was inside, he made a show of his strength, lifting it one handed as if the three-hundred pound blade were but a toy and resting it on a shoulder.

"Tara....is this one being a problem?"

He stared the man down with eyes glowing like the fires of hell itself.

DragonSong

She smirked- Camyn looked like her was about ready to wet himself. "Ah, there you are." She gestured between the two men. "Marakai, Camyn. Camyn, Marakai."

Camyn was pale, and his throat worked as he swallowed. "Wh-where did you find the giant?"

Marakai Trin

"Pleasure.. " he mumbled sarcastically, answering the introduction. He glanced at Tara questioningly. What was he here for? This man looked like he'd crumple under the strength of a breeze, as frightened as he was. Hell, the drunks from before had spine enough to stand up to him, at least for a second...though he also supposed that this guy was sober.

When the man spoke, Marakai turned to him with a glare, playing his part. "She found me out in the boneyard, munching on the bones of men. What's it matter to you, little man?"

DragonSong

Tara raised her hand to hide a chuckle turned into a cough as Camyn shriveled against the wall.

"B-bullshit," he protested, voice squeaky. His eyes flicked between the two of gh. "What's she paying you, huh? Or did she just whore herself out for the extra help?"

Tara's second dagger embedded itself in the wall by his head. The bard rocked back on her heels as though nothing ha happened.

Marakai Trin

Marakai tilted his head to the side sharply, the sharp sound of several bones in his neck popping simultaneously. If it were at all possible, it would seem as if that hellish light from his eyes began to burn yer brighter.

If he had a part to play, he'd play it well. He loosened his hold on his human form.

His teeth lengthened and sharpened slightly, and at the right side of his forehead, a long spike began to grow. One hand began to grow scales, his fingernails lengthening and sharpening into a Dragons claws, his palm and fingers twisting into a form appropriate for them.

If he thought the dagger by his head was scary, he didn't know what fear was, yet.

He was suddenly directly before the man, and the hand not holding his sword went through the wall. Before him was now a twisted sort of half-dragon, right in his face.

"Do you think this is some sort of joke, human!?" he yelled, directly into the man's face. His voice had an odd, gutteral quality to it, as if his vocal cords weren't meant for human speech.

"She pays me nothing, you little fool. I'm along for the ride because I was promised your corpse to feed on if you weren't...compliant."

He leaned in towards the mans face, a distinctly draconic growl freed from his throat.

"You'll tell her what she wants to know...or I'll start at your feet
..and work my way up to your face.
"

DragonSong

Tara actually skittered back a step, jaw falling open. She pulled herself together as quickly as she could though, and quickly moved forward to put a hand on Marakai's more human arm.

"Easy there, down boy," she murmured, hoping his ire- faked or not- wouldn't turn to her.

Marakai Trin

Marakai snarled into the man's face, and backed away. "You're lucky, little man..." he said, offering a sharp-toothed grin. He reached up, and with his scaled hand, pulled Tara's blade from the wall.

He stood and turned to her, offering it back. "I imagine you don't want to lose this, my Lady..." he said, offering a fake honorific. Unseen by the man on the floor, he gave her a slight wink.

Despite his monstrous appearance, he was all there in mind. Slowly, his draconic features melted away, and in a moment he was fully human again.

(Happy new year! Or at least it is over here!)

DragonSong

[And to you! *east coast time, whoo*]

The young woman closed her fingers around the hilt and tucked the blade back into it's sheath at the small of her back. She gave him a nod and a quick, subtle smirk.

"So." She turned to face Camyn again. "Feeling chatty now?"

The man paled even further and she half thought if her other knife hadn't been pinning him to the wall he might have collapsed. "Look, I really don't know," he said quickly. "Last I heard, we were supposed to meet up in Adela."

Her eyes narrowed. "You're lying. I know for a fact your last job was in Connlaoth, why would you come so far south just to head back to Adela?"

The man shook his head, wide eyes flicking to Marakai, but he didn't speak.

Marakai Trin

Marakai turned towards the man with a snarl, but remained where he was. "You might want to answer the lady, cretin. I like my meat tenderized before I eat it." He brought his hands together, making a fist and cracking his knuckles.

"And I'll make sure you're conscious once I start on you."

DragonSong

"The desert!" Camyn yelped. "There's an outpost, a small town at the border. He- he'll be there in three days."

Tara smiled. "See, now was that so hard?" She sauntered forward and pulled the knife from his shirt, then moved to leave.

On second thought...

She whirled, blade bared, and drove the dagger through his shoulder. Camyn howled and staggered back, clutching at his bleeding shoulder. Another jab forward to his knee brought him down and she straightened up, sheathing the blade.

Tara turned and strode casually back out into the hall. "Let's move , if you're coming," she said as she passed Marakai.

Marakai Trin

Marakai stared down at the man with a contemptible look, and followed after Tara.

He caught up to her at the bottom of the stairs, and laid a hand on her shoulder to stop her. "...what was that, Tara? You told me you were clearing up a misunderstanding....I played my part because I thought  this was just that - a misunderstanding. That wasn't what that was." He crossed his arms across his chest.

"What's going on, Tara? You left a man, who can't walk now, upstairs to possibly bleed out, and for what? If this is something serious, I'll help you. I'll even fly you to the desert. But I need to know if this is going to do more harm than good."

DragonSong

She scoffed and jerked away from his hand. "He'll be fine. He's got a good set of lungs, he'll get help."

Almost on cue, Camyn started shrieking. She rolled her eyes and started to move. "Which is why we should get out of her as quick as we can, c'mon."

Marakai Trin

Marakai glared. "You'd better not play with me, Tara. You're going to tell me this, before we leave Zantaric."

He looked up, and snarled. "You shut your mouth, little man, before I come back up for you!"

Silence.

"There. That's time to talk. Now, talk."

DragonSong

Tara took an instinctive step back from him, but she flared, head high and jaw set stubbornly.

"What do you want to know? I told you yesterday you wouldn't want to help me."

Marakai Trin

"Yes. You did. And I intend to find out why. If I misjudged you, I'd like to know who it is I'm actually dealing with. Why are you going to the desert? What is the goal of this?"

He didnt move any closer to her, but his presence was absolutely looming. He remained where he was, arms folded across his chest.

DragonSong

Tara mimicked his posture, arms crossed and indigo eyes positively snapping fire. "I'm going to kill a man," she said evenly. "And while I appreciate your help back there- gods know that sped things up a bit- I won't beg you to come with me. But if you try to stop me, I'll fight."

Her heart positively shriveled in fear at the thought, but she held her ground, magic thrumming insistently through her body.

Marakai Trin

Marakai sighed. "Tara, I won't fight you. I won't stop you, either. I think you know that I could succeed in both, too." He noticed a change in her scent, and his nose twitched as he detected magic.

"Whatever else you've got cooking won't do much good, either. You say you're going to kill a man, and I'm no stranger to murder for the right reasons. Remember - balance. I'm no paladin. But, I'd like to know why."

DragonSong

Her fists clenched at her sides.

"Because he deserves it," she spat.

Marakai Trin

Marakai huffed a bit, and leaned towards her. "Why? Did he wrong you somehow? Kill someone close to you? Steal something from you? What? You're not giving me much to go on."