Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A cure for your ailment [Nova_Eclipse!] [M]

Started by Medievarad, December 26, 2016, 12:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medievarad

Tags to: @Nova_Eclipse

The normally fitful Scarlet seemed rather pale from her seat in the inn. She questioned just why she decided to visit the yoreiqi isles. Boats weren't her thing. She hated boats. And sea-sickness from the early morning caused her stomach to be still slightly upset. On one hand, she was starving. On the other, she had no idea whether shethe could keep it all in. And by no means did she want to end up retching like she did during noon.

A soft grumble came from her stomach, which seemed to disagree with her sentiment and wanted nothing but food. Well, here goes nothing. With the thought in mind, Scarlet glanced up at the warden who had been staring at her just a tad too long. Well, not at her but at the bunny ears she possessed. It was quite rare, after all.

Instead of swearing at him, she gave the young warden a soft smile to recover from his first impression. "Oh, yes, sorry for taking so long on deciding. A warm meal, extra bread and something to drink with honey," she requested. The warden caught her gesture and nodded, murmuring his thanks and the stereotypical 'I'll be right back'.

She returned a nod and glanced at the large, conical hat and dusted it off with a soft breath, before hanging itis on her staff, rather than letting it rest on the massive leather tome she lugged around.

Nova_Eclipse

At the other side of the inn, a man wearing a full set of knight's armor sat alone at a small table, looking through a satchel that contained all of his earthly belongings, save for his sword and shield, the former of which was sheathed on his right hip and the latter resting on top of the table.

'Sixty-four gold coins, a few herbs to perhaps make some kind of healing salve, and a few rolls of cloth to soak up and staunch any bleeding should my armor be pierced.  Looks like I have everything...though I do wish that I had more than just the basics,' Richter mused to himself as he finished taking stock of all of his supplies, putting everything back inside now that he was done and strapping the satchel to his left hip.

'Now, to decide what to do next.  There's supposed to be a town roughly a day's walk from here, but with all the talk of bandit activity in the area, I'm not certain that I could make the journey safely, let alone do it by myself,' the knight hummed softly, a loose fist propped up under his chin in contemplation.

Then, he looked up to see a woman with bunny ears sprouting from the top of her head, sitting at the other side of the inn and looking slightly ill.  The second set of ears wasn't the main thing that drew his attention.

It was the heavy leather tome, pointy hat, and mage's staff that were next to her.

'She's a mage...and more importantly, someone who could help me get to the next town,' Richter thought to himself as he picked his shield up off of the table and slid his forearm into the leather straps that made up the handle before standing up from his seat and making his way to the girl.

Medievarad

Her meal was delivered, she paid the according amount and started to eat. Her stomach seemed to calm down as she ate. So most of her nausea was caused by a lack of nutrition. Good to know, people became weaker if they didn't eat. Quite obvious. She let out a soft sigh. Quite stupid.

She then glanced at the armoured knight who stopped at her table, frowning softly as she did. "Fhejjo?" She inquired, swallowing the bread and beef still in her mouth. "How can I help you?"

Nova_Eclipse

"Yes, actually, you can.  I was sitting at the other side of the inn when I noticed you sitting here and looking quite ill, but more importantly, I noticed that you were a mage, judging by the tome, staff, and hat that you have with you," Richter responded, giving a short gesture to the items in question. "I have a proposal for you: Once you are finished eating and/or do not have any other obligations or tasks to take care of here, I would like you to accompany me to a town a day's walk from here.  I would make the trip myself, but after hearing so much about bandit activity being on the rise in that area, I felt that it would be prudent if I went there with a companion to back me up."

He then pointed at her staff and her tome, "As a mage, you could provide ranged support for me and prevent anyone from sneaking up on me from behind.  In exchange, I'd protect you from anyone that got too close to you."

"And even if we don't end up fighting anyone at all, I'd still very much appreciate the companionship after traveling alone for so long," Richter finished, then held his hand out for her to shake. "What do you say?"

Medievarad

The torrent of words in explanation followed and Scarlet could only giggle in return, giving him a soft smile. "Firstly, I'd need a name," she answered, resting her utensils down, gesturing at the seat before her. "And what town is this? I was planning on resting up here and moving inland tomorrow."

She rubbed the back of her neck awkwardly. "And yeah... I'm not that good with boats, y'know," she murmured, letting out a wry smirk. "Grandmaster Ariana Scarlet Titanis, or just Scarlet. A pleasure to meet you too."

Nova_Eclipse

"Well, my name is Richter.  It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Scarlet.  As for the town in question: It's a town that's several kilometers inland from here known as 'Prova,' if I recall correctly.  So regardless of whether or not you come with me, you'd be heading inland if you decided to go there...though I'd very much prefer if you accompany me there," Richter responded, giving her a small bow upon giving her his name.

"So, will you come with me to Prova?"

Medievarad

"Hmm. It shouldn't be more than a day, then," she mused. "Tomorrow, yes. Today I just want a good night's sleep," she answered, glancing up at him. "I trust you have a room here?" She inquired before proceeding to eat again.

Nova_Eclipse

"...Not yet.  I was actually planning on leaving here before I saw you and came up to talk to you, so I've yet to purchase a room...and I have only 64 gold on me, and the rent for a single night is about 75.  So, unless you want me to camp out outside your room and act like a hired bodyguard or something...or possibly let me sleep in the room with you, I have no way to secure a room," Richter explained, a hint of nervousness and slight embarrassment in his tone.

Medievarad

Scarlet hummed softly with a frown. "I-... Fine," she let out a soft sigh. "You're sleeping in mine, but I got my eyes on you," she answered with a soft pout and a puffed cheek.

"We leave tomorrow," she stated with a soft sigh, finishing up her meal.

Nova_Eclipse

"Thank you, Miss Scarlet.  If it makes you feel any better, I'll sleep on the floor or against the wall.  I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable or anything," Richter thanked the...'Usagi,' he vaguely remembered her kind being referred to as.

With that, he headed towards the stairs, having been informed by the innkeeper that the overnight rooms were upstairs.

"I'll be waiting upstairs, okay?" Richter softly called back to Scarlet before making his way up the wooden stairs.

Medievarad

"It'd make me feel better, yes," she admitted with a soft sigh, following his movements closely as he made his way upwards. "I'm going to stay down here for some time, why don't you join me?"

She smirked softly. "Pay me some drinks, so you earn that room."

Nova_Eclipse

Richter froze halfway up the stairs, then made his way back down to the ground floor.

"...You...want me to pay for your drinks in order for me to stay in your room over night?" Richter asked, his tone conveying a 'frown' as he walked up to her once more. "Unless you've been drinking the cheapest stuff that they have here, I wouldn't be able to afford more to pay for more than one or two drinks.  Even if I did have enough gold to pay for your drinks, I likely would have barely anything left to buy food or drink for myself afterwards."

Medievarad

"One or two are fine," she huffed with a dismissive gesture. "And, besides that, just keep me company, I want to know who I'm spending a room with, after all."

Scarlet tutted her lips. "Then what are you planning on doing? How do you make a living?"

Nova_Eclipse

Richter sighed quietly and sat down in the chair directly across from Scarlet, "Well, I mainly earn coin by doing various jobs for the people or villages I come across.  A pack of wolves that are killing the livestock need to be exterminated?  I cut them down.  A group of bandits is harassing a merchant and his wagon?  I take cars of the bandit problem.  I've managed to get by reasonably well on that alone, and until I decide it's time to settle down or I find a steady or well-paying job, that's how I'm going to continue making a living."

The knight drummed his fingers on the table's surface as he hummed in thought, "As for getting to know me...well, I've already told you that my name is Richter.  I'm also a knight, as you can obviously tell by the armor.  I wanted to become a knight ever since my parents started telling me stories about heroic knights protecting the innocent, slaying dragons, and so on.  Then, at the age of ten, I ran away from home to pursue my dream.  I managed to get to a small hamlet named Orthos, where the Captain of the Orthos Knights, Noctis Caelum, took me on as a squire."

"For ten years, I trained and served as Noctis's squire, until at the age of twenty, I was knighted by the lord of Orthos, Farris Arlios.  After being knighted, I spent four years diligently serving Orthos until...certain circumstances forced me to - with the permission of Lord Arlios and Sir Noctis - leave the Orthos Knights to travel alone.  Now, three years later, here I am," Richter explained to the Usagi, finishing with an outward sweep of his arms.

Medievarad

She listened to Richter's story, occasionally nodding and humming her approval. "I see," she answered when he concluded his story. "And, what do you plan to do in Prova?" She inquired, leaning forward to rest her chin on her laced fingers, elbows propped on the table.

"Do you have a contract there? Or just traveling?"

Nova_Eclipse

"Well, if you recall, I stated that I wasn't comfortable with travelling to Prova.  That's because there's been a strangely high amount of bandit activity in the region.  Some suspect that it might be because the bandits have set up a camp somewhere around there, which means that they could attack anyone who's travelli to Prova.  According to pretty much everyone I've asked, a significant percentage of Prova's economy and income is made up by trade with other villages."

"With the threat of being raided by bandits looming over the heads of anyone who'd come to trade in Prova, there's been a decline in trade partners coming to Prova, which means that sooner or later, the bandits are going to bleed Prova dry.  Once that happens, and Prova is too poor or ill-equipped to do anything...well, you can guess what the bandits will do," the knight trailed off, letting Scarlet reach the obvious conclusion before clearing his throat and continuing on.

"So to directly answer your question: It's a little bit of both.  I'm travelling there in order to get a contract/job to wipe out any and all bandits in the area," Richter finished.

Medievarad

"Understood," Scarlet answered, taking a swig from her mug, before her face contorted. Her cheeks got a soft blush. "Alcohol," she murmured softly. Well, it was something with honey in it. She had money, so she could drink. It'd just be a pain to go around and study the given relic with a hangover. "I am early to my appointment," she said with a soft sigh, leaning forward. "A week or so. I can help out," she smirked softly. "Ofcourse, for a share of the coin."

She giggled softly and rose her hand for another drink. The mead laced with honey wasn't too bad.

Nova_Eclipse

Rochter shrugged, "Fair enough.  We'll split the coin fifty-fifty once we're done...then we'll go our separate ways...I guess."

The knight then frowned underneath his helmet as he noticed how increasingly inebriated Scarlet was getting, "I wouldn't recommend drinking too much.  Otherwise, your head will be killing you come morning."

Medievarad

She leaned forward again, smirking softly. "Deal," she answered with a soft stammer to her voice. Growing slightly more drunk. The warden delivered a new mug, nodding in respect at Richter, before leaving again.

"You can't tell me what to do-" she babbled as she had downed roughly half her cup in one go. "I tell me what to do," she added with a crooked grin.

Nova_Eclipse

"...Very well, but don't say that I didn't warn you," Richter replied as he fished out all of the coins in his satchel and placed them on the table.

"Now, I will be waiting upstairs, if you need me," the knight said as he turned around to head toward the stairs, only to pause and look back at Scarlet. "Oh, and please do try not to kill yourself by drinking too much.  I'd hate to see my travelling companion die before our journey can even begin."

With that, the armored man made his way upstairs, the sound of his metallic footsteps fading as he got further away.

Tags: