Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Tourist Traps

Started by Magyar, December 30, 2016, 09:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magyar

Hvit shifted out of his larger form, returning to the more familiar non horned version of himself. Now that he was smaller, he could leave the cave, and extended a hand towards the exit.

"Lead the way," he said, and ruffled his wings under the cloak.

DragonSong

Melly bounced to her feet with a smile. "Oh good! This way-"

She reached for his hand automatically, as she had done multiple times before, then suddenly paused. She let her hand fall back to her side and her smile turned a little strained.

"Um, right. Just...follow me, then." She turned and made her way back through the tunnels to the chamber with the wide open ceiling- her entryway.

"Alright. I'll take off first, to give you room," she chirped, though her voice was just a bit less bright than usual. With a few steps, her human form blurred and stretched into her draconic one. She bounded forward and flared her wings, jumping into the air in a corkscrew spin so she could spiral up and out through the hole in the ceiling.

Magyar

He leapt after her, waiting until he was clear of the building to transform. When he did, it was less stretching, more like he exploded into a much larger form, his limbs elongating so quickly that it almost looked painful.

Now in his monumentous size, he followed her at a much more leisurely pace. The canopy below was quite a different colour palette, and the sun hung low in the sky, maybe three more hours if daylight left to them.

DragonSong

Melly paused long enough to make sure he was on her tail, then curved her flight to lead them out over the depths of the jungle. The already thick canopy grew denser, and trees reaching heights that defied imagination.

She flew in quiet, content for once to just let the wind and jungle provide sound in the background.

After several minutes, she twisted her head slightly to call back over her shoulder, "See that break in the trees, close to the base of the mountain? We're landing there."

Magyar

Hvit banked right, turning slowly but also dropping in altittude towards the little grove she had pointed out. He dropped low over the canopy, disturbing the trees with his drafts, and flared his wings wide, performing wha was essentially an air brake. Here he waited, above the opening in the trees, flapping stationary, for his companion.

DragonSong

With a chiming call, Melly soared out over the clearing, then folded her wings to her side and dropped into a steep dive, straight toward the lake that glittered between the walls of trees.

The water spanned at least twice the length of her ruined temple home, and the clear water belied its depth; one could see straight through to the bottom, despite the fact that at it's deepest point the water was probably deep enough to even fully cover Hvitt.

A wall of black and auburn stone and clay bordered one side of the lake, the "foothills" of her island's mountain, and from it streamed a cascade of waterfalls, stretching at least twice Melly's body length west and east, and tiered like a pyramid, smaller waterfalls leading into the massive ones that fed the lake.

A moment before she hit the water, the dragoness flared her wings wide and skimmed across the surface, dragging her toes just into the water. She banked left and swooped in an arch to come to a landing on the shore of the lake that led directly into jungle.

Magyar

Aside from the occasional frozen lake, water in the Thunderblacks was primarily present in the snow variety. This mountainous lake wasn't entirely new to him, having seen the like before, but with the addition of a jungle backdrop, and the cascading waterfalls, it was still a majestic display of nature.

As he flew across the water, much like the trees the water below him rippled with the force of his flaps, despite him never touching the surface of the lake itself.

He alighted next to Melly, landing with a few well timed flaps and a dull thud as his great weight struck the earth.

"Is there more you wish me to see?" He asked, in reference to the path towards the jungle.

DragonSong

Her crest arched up in a draconic smile and she fluffed her feathers a bit. "Not especially. There's some caves behind the falls, if you want to check them out."

She padded toward the edge of the water and bent to take a quick drink. The lake water was actually colder than the nearby sea, fed as it was by meltwater streams

Magyar

"Shall we?" He asked, not caring for a drink himself. He began to walk beside the lake, refraining from swimming as long as he had to. Climbing, flying, tunnelling even, were things he was built for. Swimming was something only his hydrophilic kin enjoyed, so he found.

DragonSong

"Sure!" Melly chirped happily and bounded along beside him, jumping in and out of the shallow water at the shore and flicking her feathered tail back and forth like a hunting cat.

She led him around the edge of the lake, closer to the vine and shrub covered walls of stone and clay. Eventually though, they reached a point where the shore was simply too narrow for such large creatures to walk, the trees crowding in from one side and the water from the other.

Melly paused and suggested, "We could take biped form and keep walking, maybe climb the rocks into the caves. Or we could just swim."

Magyar

"Biped form it is," He muttered, and shifted again. All this shifting was tiring him. We wasn't used to changing his form so often, and he hadn't eaten at all since the flight.

The beach felt different under his humanoid feet, but he also felt more light-footed, now not sinking in to the soft earth, but rather just treading upon it.

DragonSong

"Alright." Her draconic smile became a human one in the space of a few seconds, bouncing lightly on the balls of her feet and smiling a bit to herself as her toes sunk into the soft earth. She practically skipped ahead, gesturing for him to follow.

It was only a few more yards before they came up against a rocky wall. Melly bit her lip and started climbing, curling her bare toes over the best footholds she could find as she edged out over the lake.

"Whoof." She twisted her body to look back at Hvitt with a half smile. "Y'know, swimming is much easier than all this."

Magyar

"It's also far more wet," he replied dryly. After she turned back to her climb he edged just under her, and looked up. Sure enough, she hadn't selected any undergarments. Hvit let a small, immature smile grow on his face.

He spread his wings and flapped up the wall, stopping beside Melly and saying, "You do remember that you can still fly, yes?"

DragonSong

"Well...yes."

Her cheeks flushed as she realized that really was the easiest course of action. She huffed and pushed away from the rock, flapping twice to get herself properly airborne.

"My wings are normally all wet when I visit here," she muttered by way of defense. "I suppose it just...didn't cross my mind."

She gave her head a quick shake and fluttered out over the water. "Alright. See that fall, the one that comes down between those two flowering trees?" She pointed. "The largest cave is behind it- we can just zip through the water and ta-da!"

Magyar

"And I suppose your wings don't work when wet," he said, "A downside of feathers. I can still fly from the water, in the occasion that I do get wet."

He followed her, but when she mentioned going through the waterfall, he said, "Is that the only way in? I will do it if I must, but... I don't like water."

DragonSong

Melly stalled just beyond the reach of the waterfall's spray and tilted her head at him. "Well...I mean, you could try to slip through by climbing sideways along the rocks, but you'd still probably get wet..."

She frowned, considering. "Hm. If I changed forms and you rode me through, I could sort of fold my wings around you to keep you dry?" she offered after a few moments.

Magyar

"No," he said, dissuading her, "I'll just go through."

He shook his head, and braced himself, before corkscrewing through the waterfall, trying to use his wings almost like a capsule around him. He hated the feeling, but better only the outside of his wings than his whole body.

He flared his wings on the other side, and alit on the dark stone, waiting for Melly.

DragonSong

The younger dragon shrugged to herself, then folded her wings tight to her back and fell through the sheet of water.

She snapped her wings open at the last moment, and though they were now thoroughly wet she managed to keep herself from careening into the stone. She ran a few paces, dripping wings dragging behind her, then came to a stop and turned to face Hvitt.

"Well, here we are," she chirped.

The cave was quite large, perhaps large enough to house a middling sized dragon, and the faint light that shimmered through the curtain of water revealed twisting veins of quartz in the dark rock.

Magyar

"How well can you fly when your wings are wet, anyway?" Hvit asked, "They're not entire feathered, so it's logical to assume you can do something, yes?"

As he asked, he began to run a hand against the quartz veins, tracing their patterns. If dwarves had lived here, this place would have been stripped years ago, if the quality of these deposits were what Hvit thought they were worth.

DragonSong

She nodded. "I can glide, if I catch a good wind, and if I really work at it I could probably get some height with a lot of flapping."

She shrugged and watched his hand trace over the stone. "It's possible, but it tires me out so quickly it's not really worth it, you know? Easier to just dry off before I try. The real problem is how much weight the water adds- feathers are surprisingly absorbent." Her chuckle echoed off the rocks.

She was quiet a few moments, eyes flicking from his hand on the stone to his face and back. "Hvitt..." She drew her lip between her teeth. No, Melly. Bad idea. Just let it go.

"C-can I ask...what I did?" She winced, instantly regretting the words as they left her mouth.